Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

saintonan posted:

It's 48 months from the time you received your CSP bonus, assuming you received a bonus when you product changed in 2016. If you didn't get a bonus, you can do it now. You do need to get rid of the CSP since you can only have one Sapphire at a time, but you don't have to close the account, you can just PC it into a CFU and hold the points there until you get the CSR.

48 months now? That sticks. I wonder if I my wife can sign up for the CSR, she's only has a couple CC in her name and she's only an authorized user on my Chase ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

saintonan posted:

It's 48 months from the time you received your CSP bonus, assuming you received a bonus when you product changed in 2016. If you didn't get a bonus, you can do it now. You do need to get rid of the CSP since you can only have one Sapphire at a time, but you don't have to close the account, you can just PC it into a CFU and hold the points there until you get the CSR.

Thanks for the feedback! I actually did not get a bonus when I upgraded from CS to CSP since it was a product move or something. Likely a mistake on my part, but water under the bridge.

EDIT:

This says the bonus is only available under these conditions: This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months.

Since I already have a CSP, wouldn't I not be eligible?

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 13, 2019

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Sock The Great posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I actually did not get a bonus when I upgraded from CS to CSP since it was a product move or something. Likely a mistake on my part, but water under the bridge.

EDIT:

This says the bonus is only available under these conditions: This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months.

Since I already have a CSP, wouldn't I not be eligible?

Once you PC your CSP into a CFU, you no longer have any Sapphire card.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

48 months now? That sticks. I wonder if I my wife can sign up for the CSR, she's only has a couple CC in her name and she's only an authorized user on my Chase ones.

They changed it from 24 to 48 months right about at the 2 year anniversary of the CSR. Will they change this again at the 4 year anniversary of the CSR? Who knows.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Bumping the annual fee to $550 definitely turns it into an actual travel card instead of merely a points churning machine. I'm ok with that.

We got our card late summer this year and only did a handful of trips but between hotel/rental car upgrades + lounges we definitely got our money's worth. I think just for our last trip, due to status gymnastics we got $292 worth of free food + appetizers at the hotel restaurant alone, plus they waived $120 worth of parking due to... I guess they were being nice on the parking, but whatever. That's about $400 retail value. For one trip.

We were doing Airbnb up until we got the card and the free breakfast + free executive level upgrade + all the cool stuff that comes with an executive level room number makes it a better value than Airbnb. Plus the 5x points. Plus the wife is very happy at the hotel, and Airbnb in Texas gets super sketch once you leave the metro areas.

$200 rewards in airline incidentals is pretty cool, we were really working hard to drink our way through $200 worth of in flight booze before eoy.

are you talking about the CSR? what free executive level and hotel/rental upgrades are those?

And yeah I’m getting well over a $1k net gain from the CSR so even if they bump up the annual fee it’s still a no-brainer if you travel constantly. If they add dinner credit then I won’t even notice the change, I order dinner quite a bit.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Unless something major changed Chase gives no hotel status

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Animal posted:

are you talking about the CSR? what free executive level and hotel/rental upgrades are those?

And yeah I’m getting well over a $1k net gain from the CSR so even if they bump up the annual fee it’s still a no-brainer if you travel constantly. If they add dinner credit then I won’t even notice the change, I order dinner quite a bit.

Amex Plat (and maybe others) give you gold status with Hilton which if you're traveling during non peak season means the cheapest room in the joint automatically gets upgraded to the top floor facing the best view. Usually that's also the executive floor, which qualifies you for free appetizers at the bar. Also you get free Continental breakfast, which contrary to popular belief, is not cold cereal, milk and juice, but can be things like eggs and steak hashes, breakfast tacos etc. The Austin Hilton shut down their executive lounge for low season so we got a $22/person/day credit at the restaurant off the main lobby. The room was $118/day and between the two of us were getting ~$66/day worth of meals, using credit card rewards math you could say we were getting top floor executive level rooms for $52 a night. We also recently did the same thing in Guadalajara Hilton.

Amex Plat is $550/yr which is the same amount as the credit card tomorrow from the previous page

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 14, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I very recently got married. We don't pool our finances, yet. This is relevant to know because I opened a CSR today and added my wife as an authorized user. I am not 100% clear on the best way to manage this.

A few questions, if I may:

1) When you have a joint card, can you break out the expenses by user so we can easily figure out who spent what each statement? Since we haven't combined accounts yet, some easy way to manage this would be great.

2) She probably won't get the credits, right? Or more specifically, we can't get two credits for Global Entry etc.

3) Is there anything else I should know about authorized users in general?

Last question: should we just both get a CSR? I mean the card itself is only $150 per year less travel credit, and an authorized user is $75 per year extra, so maybe paying the extra $75 and getting the full card benefits for each person is preferable.

Doing some quick math I still think it makes sense to share the card, but not sure if I'm considering all the angles.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 15, 2019

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My wife is an authorized user on my Amex Gold and I can easily break down which user charged what on the activity page or via the Amex app. Since Im the primary I can see her charges but she can’t see mine. You also can’t double up on offers. I assume Chase has a similar ability.

We do the authorized user thing because we charge most of our monthly expenses on it and it’s easy for tracking and budgeting. If we just wanted more benefits and point churn, yeah just get 2 of them.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 15, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What do you guys think about signing up for a business card for personal use? The Chase Ink has a $500 sign up bonus and 1.5% on everything so it’d be a nice everyday card, but I don’t want to use a hard pull if they’ll deny me.

Note: I haven’t applied for a CC in 2 years and I already have a Slate, Freedom, Amazon, and checking account with Chase.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 15, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

1) When you have a joint card, can you break out the expenses by user

Not with Chase. All cards have the same number.

With Amex you get different numbers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Usually it's not a great idea to add authorized users versus just getting them their own card. As you pointed out, you lose out on bonuses that way.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

What do you guys think about signing up for a business card for personal use? The Chase Ink has a $500 sign up bonus and 1.5% on everything so it’d be a nice everyday card, but I don’t want to use a hard pull if they’ll deny me.

Note: I haven’t applied for a CC in 2 years and I already have a Slate, Freedom, Amazon, and checking account with Chase.

Short-term solution is to product change your Slate to a Freedom Unlimited if you aren't carrying a balance from some promotion or whatever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 15, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The Chase Ink Preferred is probably better as it has an 80k signup bonus. You can get the 1.5% anywhere by product switching the Slate or Freedom to the Freedom Unlimited.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I know they’re doing it on purpose but the “monthly resetting bonus” loving suck. Just make it an annual amount

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don’t normally worry about my score too much but this month it went down 14 points (from 784 to 770) even though literally everything is the same as last time.

Other than a few times I’ve gone over 50% utilization, it’s never moved more than a few points either way.

This is according to Barclay’s app which gives me my FICO score.

Is this within the “Credit Agencies rejigger their algorithms all the time” range or should I dig a bit deeper?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don’t normally worry about my score too much but this month it went down 14 points (from 784 to 770) even though literally everything is the same as last time.

Other than a few times I’ve gone over 50% utilization, it’s never moved more than a few points either way.

This is according to Barclay’s app which gives me my FICO score.

Is this within the “Credit Agencies rejigger their algorithms all the time” range or should I dig a bit deeper?

don’t worry about it unless it changed like 100 points.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not too worried, just never seen it jump more than 2-3 points for no reason.

Thanks!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Lost 17 points by paying off my car.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I got a flyer for a cash bonus and a 0.5% increase to the cash back % on my Citi Double Cash card if I open a Citi checking account and keep it funded for X days. I pulled the trigger, but it turns out I actually signed up for some sort of horrific account purgatory. First the debit card never showed up, then I couldn't link the account with my credit cards, now after trying to fix things I appear to have been locked out entirely and their customer service is beyond useless (oops, can't unlock without your debit card number!). They have separate branches for credit cards and checking accounts and no one knows how to fix anything, so I keep getting booted around. I have tried calling and using the stupid chat support three times now. To top it off, I don't think they ever applied my sign-up bonus, either. This is hell.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Citi checking account

Condolences.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I recently picked up the Amex Gold card. Now I want to cancel my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card since I’m not putting any spend on it anymore and the annual fee on it is about to hit.

My concern is that my Blue Cash Preferred is my second oldest line of credit by a long shot, and I’m worried that closing the account will cause my credit score to take a hit.

So I ask - if I just call Amex to do a product change on this card, does that count as keeping the same line of credit and the 10 years of history that go with it? I’m assuming that if I do a product change, that will preclude me from getting any signup bonus on the new card. Is it worth forgoing the signup bonus to keep that credit history?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I downgraded from the Preferred to the Everyday (Everyday has no AF) several years ago and still had the “Member Since xxxx” and the credit line intact.

I don’t think it would affect you getting the Gold card but it wouldn’t hurt to ask customer service. They’re pretty cool about it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

So I ask - if I just call Amex to do a product change on this card, does that count as keeping the same line of credit and the 10 years of history that go with it? I’m assuming that if I do a product change, that will preclude me from getting any signup bonus on the new card. Is it worth forgoing the signup bonus to keep that credit history?

Yes, yes, and most likely yes. They'll probably target you at some point for a nice offer to re-upgrade it back to the BCP, to boot.

Also, Amex offers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm planning to take a 10-14-day trip to Japan with a buddy in March, but I'm probably going to book stuff in the next couple of weeks, put it on my card; I don't spend a ton of money normally (<$1000 per month, usually). If I want to take advantage of this to meet the minimum spend on a card, is the Amex Plat my best option? I currently just use a Costco Visa for most stuff, and a Synchronicity Amazon for Amazon.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Thanatosian posted:

I'm planning to take a 10-14-day trip to Japan with a buddy in March, but I'm probably going to book stuff in the next couple of weeks, put it on my card; I don't spend a ton of money normally (<$1000 per month, usually). If I want to take advantage of this to meet the minimum spend on a card, is the Amex Plat my best option? I currently just use a Costco Visa for most stuff, and a Synchronicity Amazon for Amazon.

While the CSR might look like a terrible option because of it's massive annual fee and lower sign-up bonus, I have found the travel protections have saved me tons of money and hassle in the long run. Amex just added travel protections to some of their cards as well, I'd look into which of the two companies is better for your needs. Like, you probably won't be renting a car in Japan but when my family travels we often do rent cars and the CSR insurance is stellar. Travel delay, lost luggage protection, travel medical coverage , these are all things you might want to consider along with meeting a sign-up bonus.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Can anyone with the Citi Double Cash tell me how much value they get out of redeeming the rewards?

I've been using the Fidelity Visa as my "2% on everything else" card, when purchases don't fall under categories on the Chase Freedom, but found out that when redeeming rewards, at least for statement credits and deposits to a Fidelity account, it's a 2:1 ratio. 5,000 points only gets $25. So it's advertised as 2% but it ends up being 1%. Diabolical.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Moneyball posted:

Can anyone with the Citi Double Cash tell me how much value they get out of redeeming the rewards?

100% value. It's cash, not points. I've been saving my double cash rewards for a couple years and redeemed 1300 dollars 2 months ago. I just requested it be deposited to my bank account and it was there in a couple days. Used the cash to pay for xmas presents. I don't redeem as a statement credit, as I can take the 1300 cash back I got, spend that on the card and earn another 26 bucks in rewards.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

skipdogg posted:

100% value. It's cash, not points. I've been saving my double cash rewards for a couple years and redeemed 1300 dollars 2 months ago. I just requested it be deposited to my bank account and it was there in a couple days. Used the cash to pay for xmas presents. I don't redeem as a statement credit, as I can take the 1300 cash back I got, spend that on the card and earn another 26 bucks in rewards.

I agree with this, especially the last part. Don't ever claim Double Cash rewards as a statement credit, because then you won't get the 1% on that part since it wasn't an actual payment.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fidelity card gives you 1 cent per redeemed point but it also gives you 2 points per dollar spent

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Spend $2,500 to get 5,000 points. Redeem 5,000 points for $25.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Spend $2,500 to get 5,000 points. Redeem 5,000 points for $25.

for me it's always been that 100 points gives me $1

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

saintonan posted:

I agree with this, especially the last part. Don't ever claim Double Cash rewards as a statement credit, because then you won't get the 1% on that part since it wasn't an actual payment.
Yeah but doesn’t that just change your reward from 1% to 1.01%? (Or 2 to 2.04) or am I missing a zero?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but doesn’t that just change your reward from 1% to 1.01%? (Or 2 to 2.04) or am I missing a zero?

Let's say you charge $2000 in one cycle on the DC card. When that cycle closes you'll be credited with 1% of $2000, or $20. If you take that $20 as a statement credit, your balance is now $1980, so when you pay $1980 you'll only get $19.80 in rewards. If you take that $20 as a deposit to your checking account, then your payment is for the full $2000, and you get the full $20 in credits. $39.80 ($20.00 in spend and $19.80 in payments) is 1.99% cash back instead of the full 2% if you take your rewards as a statement credit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

for me it's always been that 100 points gives me $1

Hmm, the transaction hasn't posted yet. I did redeem it as a transfer to my cash management account, not a statement credit, so we'll see how that goes. If it's 1:1, then I was just worried about nothing.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I get what they mean by this. Since the double cash thing is split up so that you earn 1% when spending and the other 1% when making a payment, any reduction of the balance due to a statement credit forfeits the additional 1%. Plus, with the cash you get, that's another 2% you can earn. It doesn't come out to a whole lot unless you spend a lot, but hey every little bit helps.

Speaking of every little bit- I've started to use my 5% cards to buy top up cards for my phone. I'm on a plan, not pay as you go, but what I noticed is that for some reason when there's value added instead of them billing me, they aren't charging taxes and fees. I have a cheap rear end plan, so the fees only ever come to $2.20 a month, but it's interesting they're only charging the monthly plan amount.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hullo. I'd love to get some advice on UK-based rewards cards if any regulars have some info on them. I've read the OP and it looks useful, but I'm assuming the majority of the cards discussed there wouldn't be available or at least not on the same terms, or would take forever to chase down answers on.

I currently have a Barclaycard Platinum which iirc is some garbo poo poo-credit-score starter card from over a decade ago when I accidentally hosed my credit for a while, which has no rewards whatsoever. My credit now is good (980+) and Barclaycard have been increasing my limit regularly. I put around £2k through it per month (always paid off) on a £5,250 limit, and I don't know what the APR is because I never hold a balance. Something in the high 20s I would imagine.

Any suggestions on decent rewards programs? Cashback would be ideal, airmiles an option also. I believe there was an Amazon card in the long ago that offered something like 2% general cash back and 4% on Amazon purchases, which would work for me since I buy a lot of stuff through there, but when I checked into that recently I'm not sure the same deal is available, and in any case is underwritten by a reportedly awful credit provider.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Moneyball posted:

If you also have a ThankYou Premier card, you can redeem for airfare with a 25% bonus (effectively 2.5% cash back).

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The only downside of DC for me is having to wait for the reward balance to top $25. That's why I continue using a category card with monthly redemption for certain 2% purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Has anyone acquired the Barclay's AAviator card? It looks like it might be worth getting for a year even though the $99 fee has to be paid upfront for 60k and a companion pass. But I know companion passes can sometimes be impossible to actually use unless you buy full Y fares, which defeats the savings of the pass. Anybody use that pass and have any thought on it? I'm thinking I might get it and then cancel once the year is up.

Edit, found an article that answered my question. Looks like the answer is there's a bunch of blackout dates and they make it hard to use the certificate (have to call to reserve and physically mail in the certificate) but not impossible. So I guess I'll look first to see if any travel I have would hit those blackout dates prior to deciding if I'm gonna sign up.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 4, 2020