Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Progressive JPEG posted:

Meanwhile, stuff like Android and open source projects just use plain git.

AOSP uses `repo` which I think was a wrapper around Git written by an intern designed to manage multiple Git repositories, but under that it's plain Git.

As far as I know they're still using it anyway, it's been a long time since I've messed with Android myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

"This person works for company X therefore they are automatically masters of every single technology that has ever existed" is dumb even when it's not a company that has 100k employees.

You can follow the twitter OP's profile to their github page where they have a bunch of non-trivial projects released.

So at this point you're just running to the defense of a bunch of twitter users that likely saw she was a woman, then smugly posted ~~have you heard about git rebase~~.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
git rebase is cool, Twitter reply guys aren’t.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jose Valasquez posted:

The git wrapper has been deprecated in favor of a mercurial wrapper instead. Both are too hard for me to understand so I just use regular Piper

Look at this nerd who doesn't want to change multiple things in the same file in different changes.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Oh god, are we still complaining because we feel insecure around engineers that have been hired at google and are insecure about that insecurity?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jose Valasquez posted:

The git wrapper has been deprecated in favor of a mercurial wrapper instead. Both are too hard for me to understand so I just use regular Piper

Why hg over git?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xik posted:

You can follow the twitter OP's profile to their github page where they have a bunch of non-trivial projects released.

So at this point you're just running to the defense of a bunch of twitter users that likely saw she was a woman, then smugly posted ~~have you heard about git rebase~~.

I'm not sure what's unclear. I complained about the claim that working at google means that she must know how to use git because that's a dumb statement. It's safe to assume that 98% of the responses she got on twitter were even dumber than that statement because people can never pass up an opportunity to "correct" obvious jokes, and there's plenty of reasons that aren't dumb to assume that she knows how to use git. Neither of those things are related.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

captkirk posted:

Oh god, are we still complaining because we feel insecure around engineers that have been hired at google and are insecure about that insecurity?

I wasn't complaining but you scare me with your accuracy about my insecurities that I was unaware of myself.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The point is that she is a woman so a good 85% of people in tech* immediately assume she must be stupid because she is a woman. Additionally, this woman also works at Google, and about 90% of people in tech** do not work for Google, so obviously people who work for Google are stupid because they don't even understand a basic thing that they themselves sucessfully googled (heh) once. That means 175% of people in tech*** replied to the tweet and let her know that she is obviously stupid^2. We'll meet back here for another round of "endemic or epidemic, you decide!" next week, subscribe and like.

*: I made up this number.
**: I made up this number as well, though I believe very much it is absolutely correct
***: I excel at maths for engineers

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lifg posted:

Why hg over git?

Because the people who wrote the git wrapper already got their promotions, improving it from there won't get you any more promotions but building an hg wrapper instead might :v:

I don't know the actual official reasons but promo probably played into it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

Because the people who wrote the git wrapper already got their promotions, improving it from there won't get you any more promotions but building an hg wrapper instead might :v:

There are actual, sensible reasons, though I'm not sure if anyone is allowed to look at them now since they might be ~~NeEd To KnOw~~.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Plorkyeran posted:

I'm not sure what's unclear. I complained about the claim that working at google means that she must know how to use git because that's a dumb statement. It's safe to assume that 98% of the responses she got on twitter were even dumber than that statement because people can never pass up an opportunity to "correct" obvious jokes, and there's plenty of reasons that aren't dumb to assume that she knows how to use git. Neither of those things are related.

I get it, you’re one of those nit picky pedantic engineers.

So which one of the twitter replies smugly telling her how to use git did you make?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You'd think with all the smart people working there that someone would have a clue about designing incentive schemes to promote behavior that's good for the company.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ultrafilter posted:

You'd think with all the smart people working there that someone would have a clue about designing incentive schemes to promote behavior that's good for the company.

Sounds like something that won't get you promoted

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

ultrafilter posted:

Instead they designed incentive schemes to promote doing things smart people like doing. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Cross posting this from the interviewing is terrible thread:

refleks posted:

When im working hard touching computers i often end up on SO as everyone else.

This popped up from a related part of the network:

https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/149386/why-is-it-so-acceptable-for-software-engineers-to-job-hop-im-tired-of-constant

quote:

Worlds greatest recruiter/ Manager extraordinaire posted:
Basically how did it become acceptable for software engineers to always be job switching? I am a recruiter for my company of about 250 and we employ 15 software engineers. Half my time is spent replacing them. Only one of them has been at my company for more than a year and he is the lead. The average tenure at the moment is 5 months.

And they are willing to quit over the slightest of things:

- One quit after his request for a paid software tool (a specific IDE) was denied. (They were instructed to use a specific freeware IDE)
- Another quit after 3 months as he didn't know how he was evaluated (we use Scrum, so there aren't close performance stats as that defeats the project management style).
- Yet another quit over not seeing a clear promotion track technically.
- The rest claimed that they "found new opportunities."

Seriously, why is this behavior considered acceptable in the software community? What can we do to encourage them to stay longer with us?

I think I'll be the refusal to evaluate employees because we use Scrum.

The IDE the developer wanted was Jetbrains and the free IDE was Netbeans LOL

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

Cross posting this from the interviewing is terrible thread:

The IDE the developer wanted was Jetbrains and the free IDE was Netbeans LOL

I can only assume that this was a troll posting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a fine line between recruiters and trolls.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryxcommar/status/1217871161712893953

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

joke's on that dude, he can only afford to rent a single room at that salary

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I put my hourly rate at 69 for a while for more or less the same reason.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://svn.cacert.org/CAcert/CAcert_Inc/Board/oss/oss_sabotage.html

I just learned about this old OSS manual on how to subtly sabotage enemy organizations, and apparently a lot of managers are secretly CIA saboteurs.

General Interference with Organizations and Production posted:

(a) Organizations and Conferences

(1) Insist on doing everything through "channels." Never permit short-cuts to be taken in order to, expedite decisions.

(2) Make "speeches." Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your "points" by long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences. Never hesitate to make a few appropriate "patriotic" comments.

(3) When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and consideration." Attempt to make the committees as large as possible - never less than five.

(4) Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.

(5) Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.

(6) Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to reopen the question of the advisability of that decision.

(7) Advocate "caution." Be "reasonable" and urge your fellow-conferees to be "reasonable" and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or difficulties later on.

(8) Be worried about the propriety of any decision -raise the question of whether such action as is contemplated lies within the jurisdiction of the group or whether it might conflict with the policy of some higher echelon.

(b) Managers and Supervisors

(1) Demand written orders.

(2) "Misunderstand" orders. Ask endless questions or engage in long correspondence about such orders. Quibble over them when you can.

(3) Do everything possible to delay the delivery of orders. Even though parts of an order may be ready beforehand, don't deliver it until it is completely ready.

(4) Don't order new working materials until your current stocks have been virtually exhausted, so that the slightest delay in filling your order will mean a shutdown.

(5) Order high-quality materials which are hard to get. If you don't get them argue about it. Warn that inferior materials will mean inferior work.

(6) In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first. See that the important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers of poor machines.

(7) Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw. Approve other defective parts whose flaws are not visible to the naked eye.

(8) Make mistakes in routing so that parts and materials will be sent to the wrong place in the plant.

(9) When training new workers, give incomplete or misleading instructions.

(10) To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. Discriminate against efficient workers; complain unjustly about their work.

(11) Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.

(12) Multiply paper work in plausible ways. Start duplicate files.

(13) Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on. See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.

(14) Apply all regulations to the last letter..

also

(12) General Devices for Lowering Morale and Creating Confusion

(a) Give lengthy and incomprehensible explanations when questioned.

(b) Report imaginary spies or danger to the Gestapo or police.

(e) Act stupid.

(d) Be as irritable and quarrelsome as possible without getting yourself into trouble.

(e) Misunderstand all sorts of regulations concerning such matters as rationing, transportation, traffic regulations.

(f) Complain against ersatz materials.

(g) In public treat axis nationals or quislings coldly.

(h) Stop all conversation when axis nationals or quislings enter a cafe.

(i) Cry and sob hysterically at every occasion, especially when confronted by government clerks.

(j) Boycott all movies, entertainments, concerts, newspapers which are in any way connected with the quisling authorities.

(k) Do not cooperate in salvage schemes.

Why is the CIA spying on me?!?!?!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Keetron posted:

I put my hourly rate at 69 for a while for more or less the same reason.

god i wish i made 69 an hour

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

SimonChris posted:

I just learned about this old OSS manual on how to subtly sabotage enemy organizations, and apparently a lot of managers are secretly CIA saboteurs.

also

I feel like I'm in on the ground floor of a 100 LinkedIn posts and eventual Ted talks

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SimonChris posted:

also

What’s that phrase? Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

SimonChris posted:

and apparently a lot of managers are secretly CIA saboteurs.

Protocol7 posted:

What’s that phrase? Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity?

Well, CIA had to learn it from somewhere :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

(e) Act stupid.

I just want to call out that I appreciate this being mislabeled as e instead of c, whether or not it was intentional.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Inacio posted:

god i wish i made 69 an hour

A lawyer makes about twice this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like you buried the lede, which is that dude's glorious Twitter banner

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Keetron posted:

A lawyer makes about twice this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That chapter of the Simple Sabotage Field Manual is legitimately one of the most practical management books ever written.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

:shrug:
The highest tier tax rate over here is 51% and it starts at 68K, before that it is 38%
But please, lets go back to coding horror stories.

Right now I am refactoring some code from a prima donna dev that recently left which is the only reason I am allowed to touch it at all.
- Makes an interface for every class so that he can use the interface for stubbing. Sounds sensible, if there was no such thing as Mockito. But "no you cannot use mockito as you cannot trust a framework!" as the only and only argument was a bit weird.
- REST standards are for dummies, you should put all your query parameters as path parameters. No, I will not document what path is what parameter, you can see that in the code, can you not, you dummy?!
- Depending on the response from the repository, I will have the controller return an error. NO! Not throw an exception, you need to construct your response in the controller. You cannot trust error handling in Spring! Did you not know that, you dummy!
- You know what, I will make a Kotlin `open class` that can wrap around two very different objects, one if the response is OK, the other if something is wrong and return those to the controller. The controller can then build the error message from scratch depending on the type of object that is returned. Aint I smart? Interfaces and wrappers are awesome!
- You need to start up the service using `SpringRunner::class` when unit testing, else you never know how something will behave when it is in the actual application.

Now I am slowly moving all logic to the service layer, all controlling to the controller and have the service layer throw proper exceptions and let Spring Boot take care of the rest. Also ripping out all the useless integration testing that are unit tests in disguise.

edit: the actual worst part is that he was a senior in the team and he was mentoring two juniors that now say "if you explain it like that, it did sound weird but he got so upset if you questioned his ways."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is the Twitter banner of someone with an employee being paid $69,420. I'm ok with this as well.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Keetron posted:

- REST standards are for dummies, you should put all your query parameters as path parameters. No, I will not document what path is what parameter, you can see that in the code, can you not, you dummy?!

I had to deal with consuming stuff like that a few times for customers. It's usually some lovely marketing company that totes has an API!! My favourite was the one that had parameters in the path, but they weren't named. Some of them were optional. How do you tell the API that number belongs to that optional argument? Well, apparently you can't.

:wtc: :shrug:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I worked on an integration with a client that was, holy poo poo, a total shitshow. Their documentation was basically nonexistent (they had a JSON schema documented in a loving Excel document and some Word documents floating around that nobody could manage to keep up to date, apparently), inconsistent, ambiguous, and incorrect (why is this field optional? it's not! But it won't return an error!). The API was a garbage fire that returned meaningless error messages when it did return error messages (with status code 200, of course), and they were unresponsive and outright hostile when we asked them questions. Their logs were useless and they clearly didn't know how to parse them, so they had to have us send us what a successful request looked like so they could tell us why later requests after we made a change were failing (they were wrong, their suggestion was incorrect, so rather than fight them we just rolled it back).

This is a multi-billion dollar company that I'm sure a lot of people in this thread actually deal with and I'm so, so, so loving sorry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A third party cloud server provider gave us explicit instructions to "make API call A first, then wait at least 5 seconds, and make API call B next."

API call A is designed to ping an IoT device simply to wake it up such that it can receive further commands. It doesn't take 5 seconds to wake the device - it takes 5 seconds for their cloud to do whatever the gently caress and then call the device.

That was at the start of the project and as I'm sure you can imagine the performance of the cloud API has only gotten worse.

This project also includes Alexa/Google Home automation. If you've ever developed an Alexa skill, you'll know the window for device descovery is like, 8 seconds max? So having to wait 5 seconds gives you next to no wiggle room.

We came onto this project halfway after the original client had already cut every possible corner so it's, uh, been an experience.

Did I also mention that sometimes you have to make API call B twice because the API will sometimes send different results or return nothing at all? Jesus Christ, I could go on and on about this project.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 18, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My favorite vendor API thing was with a vendor that kept pointing to the docs when I had questions so when I found a difference in behavior between the API and the specs and pointed that out, they said nothing but without warning changed the API a week or three later. gently caress everyone who integrated with the actual instead of the documented use, I guess?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Keetron posted:

My favorite vendor API thing was with a vendor that kept pointing to the docs when I had questions so when I found a difference in behavior between the API and the specs and pointed that out, they said nothing but without warning changed the API a week or three later. gently caress everyone who integrated with the actual instead of the documented use, I guess?
Oh it was also fun when they changed the response codes without telling us on an API. As is good practice, we use status codes for error handling and wrote some custom handlers for their error messages that allowed us to deal with the fact that they were sending them as 200s to display them in the UI properly. Well, when they changed their codes without telling us we had to scramble to figure out why our custom error messages weren't displaying, and they got mad as gently caress that it broke.

We're supposed to be goddamn mind readers apparently.

I spent two days trying to debug this because I didn't expect them to change the status codes.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 18, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I enjoyed using a library from a DRM vendor and then writing their test suites for them to explain why certain API calls weren't working when they didn't understand or refused to understand.

Their site to submit issues also required MSIE 7 (years ago but it was still out of date) but spoofing the browser agent worked fine.

They were still the best choice by virtue of having a demo code sample that actually compiled instead of pointing to their developers' computer's file systems absolute paths, or just mysteriously missing parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I spent two days trying to debug this because I didn't expect them to change the status codes.
and then this one time, at a big bank, the only status codes send out by the core insurance application API was 200 and 500, the second with the message "Internal server error". When asking for a bit more information in the response, I was told that it was not allowed for reasons of security and compliance. I then learned that in bank language this means "gently caress off".