Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

Where does 'living in Iran' come into it? This guy wasn't living in America.

Nobody gets to kill Iraqis but America, and Iraq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Posting on the "Last helicopter out of Saigon" year-page-number page.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

razak posted:

Would you think the Nazi's SS be a good comparison? In terms of the parallel army and suppression of wrongthinkers and whatnot?

There are some parallels but a lot of the particulars are different. For example, the religious conservative focus that drives a wedge between the IRGC and younger generations of Iranians (also a bunch of the older folks).

I'm kinda curious how this will play out in domestic Iranian politics because a lot of Iranians aren't a fan of either the IRGC or what they're up to in Iraq, Syria, etc.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Schadenboner posted:

As it turns out, open channels of communication between even oppositional state actors is a more effective means of transferring both denotation and connotation versus only using smoke signals, who knew?

:shrug:

In the Cold War, essentially the entire diplomatic apparatus of both superpowers was devoted to little else than their mutual relationship (and wooing/threatening neutrals). Still difficult, as you yourself point out, and people still read tea leaves and smoke signals. International relations are hard. Diplomacy doesn't always do what you might hope. Neither does war.

e: Hey, Firefox has just spammed me with a recommendation for an article on Able Archer, an excellent example.

Captain von Trapp fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 4, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain von Trapp posted:

In the Cold War, essentially the entire diplomatic apparatus of both superpowers was devoted to little else than their mutual relationship (and wooing/threatening neutrals). Still difficult, as you yourself point out, and people still read tea leaves and smoke signals. International relations are hard. Diplomacy doesn't always do what you might hope. Neither does war.

It's probably because I'm a shitlib that had Westphalia-Bestphalia and Washington Consensus beaten into my head at school but the idea you would bomb an official of a state with whom you are not at war (even "war" broadly defined) in the territory of a third nation state, even when it's a lovely state like Iran, even when that official is ...not great (and not exactly respecting diplomatic norms hisself), is just such a goddamn :psyduck:. I'm not even saying we can't kill them, it's a lovely horrible world and we aren't the worst ones in that world, but you do it quietly and deniably. Not with a loving Hellfire (on the soil of a nation we are theoretically supporting) and a goddamn Tweet.

I mean, what the gently caress. The Russians (or, to pick a foreign power Trump isn't an active asset of: the Chinese) are going to start carbombing American ambassadors and novichoking military attaches, and every American is now walking around with (even bigger) crosshairs on their goddamn backs than they were before he did this.

Crack-loving-ping.

E: And enough people in enough Farm states will cheer this Foreign-Policy-by-Michael-Bay that he'll loving win (or "win"). :sigh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 4, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, what the gently caress. The Russians (or, to pick a foreign power Trump isn't an active asset of: the Chinese) are going to start carbombing American ambassadors and novichoking military attaches, and every American is now walking around with (even bigger) crosshairs on their goddamn backs than they were before he did this.

I disagree for the reasons we've discussed upthread, but this is a nice testable proposition. In a year, we'll see some ambassadors/attaches/generals/etc get shanked by China/Russia or we won't. One of us will look silly, if anyone remembers these posts. I hope I'm right both for my ego and because it would involve fewer dead people, but if I'm wrong I'll certainly eat crow and acknowledge your prescience.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It feels like western civilization has entered into a precarious precipitous decline as the older adled generation is just unbalanced and acting out because of fear and anxiety and ruining everything for everyone who comes afterwards.

I feel like this would've been unthinkable even 10 years ago and things are just getting worse ever since.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

I disagree for the reasons we've discussed upthread, but this is a nice testable proposition. In a year, we'll see some ambassadors/attaches/generals/etc get shanked by China/Russia or we won't. One of us will look silly, if anyone remembers these posts. I hope I'm right both for my ego and because it would involve fewer dead people, but if I'm wrong I'll certainly eat crow and acknowledge your prescience.

https://www.theonion.com/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-region-and-1819594296

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

He had personal relationships with the leaders of various militia and terrorist groups that have to be rebuilt. He also ran the Quds Force for 20 years. He's not load-bearing, but his death does set them back. But more than that, if we're willing to wax Suleimani, then lower level Quds Force guys are on the menu too. Their operations will be hampered by the need for greater security and secrecy. I still don't know if it was worth it but if you want the strongest case for killing him I think that's it.

There will be virtually no impact to Iranian operations. This isn't some backwoods militia made up of 8 people who can find their asses and a hundred who can't but listen really well. This is a professional, trained, staff-operated modern military organization; even with his cult of personality at the helm. The US chiefs of staff have personal relationships with allied military personnel and other US agency leaders, but killing the CSA doesn't stop the Army from doing Army things. On the contrary, it probably pisses off much of the Army and makes them really want to do Army things.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cyrano, the new Boeing pull up alarm actually pushes the nose down, get with the times.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Cyrano, the new Boeing pull up alarm actually pushes the nose down, get with the times.

:drat:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Congrats on the upgraded statutes, Cyrano.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Does anyone's position change with the fact that this wasn't in response to the embassy thing (it was being considered before hand) and was instead a response to some actionable intelligence that showed Americans were being actively targeted?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/donald-trump-qasem-soleimani-tick-tock-timeline/index.html

And yes, the rest of that article is extremely weird.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wkarma posted:

Does anyone's position change with the fact that this wasn't in response to the embassy thing (it was being considered before hand) and was instead a response to some actionable intelligence that showed Americans were being actively targeted?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/donald-trump-qasem-soleimani-tick-tock-timeline/index.html

Was Soleimani going to personally pull the trigger?

Would taking Petraeus out (for example) have stopped any of the operations he had provided the top-level strategic guidance for?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:toxx:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Memento posted:

Was Soleimani going to personally pull the trigger?

Would taking Petraeus out (for example) have stopped any of the operations he had provided the top-level strategic guidance for?

Yeah if the plans were worked out I don’t really see how it derails anything in progress unless it’s a real small scale operation which this definitely is not. Cripes what a weak rear end excuse to feed the public but then people buy it so I guess it works.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hot drat, Cyrano's an admin. Congratulations and I'm so sorry.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Now now, there is an argument to be had that 'escalate to de-escalate' is good policy and works. It is a very dumb argument so I'm not going to make it. If anything it is now even more in Irans interest to establish itself as to painful to gently caress with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kesper North posted:

Cyrano is at least theoretically a “Super Mod” rather than an administrator.

I don’t know if that’s enforced by the cold hand of the machine or by the honour system.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Kesper North posted:

rip Cyrano's liver

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

wkarma posted:

Sources in the intel community are telling the NYT that the basis for claiming that Americans were being actively targeted was "razor thin", check out this twitter thread https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1213421769777909761 It also has some good info on how the strike went down and possible next steps.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know if that’s enforced by the cold hand of the machine or by the honour system.

So I don't think this is necessarily "cold war thread", but, uh, how does the rank and command structure of the Something Awful Forums actually work?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lowtax is second in command. All others are below him and must read the tea leaves of his Gamer Garbage rants.

They collectively worship an Old One god known as Radium Code, who requires regular sacrifices.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

So I don't think this is necessarily "cold war thread", but, uh, how does the rank and command structure of the Something Awful Forums actually work?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

gohuskies posted:

Sources in the intel community are telling the NYT that the basis for claiming that Americans were being actively targeted was "razor thin", check out this twitter thread https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1213421769777909761 It also has some good info on how the strike went down and possible next steps.

Read it. So should everyone else.

That’s loving insane and a lot worse than the already pessimistic assumptions I had made. Ignoring the discussion about right and wrong, if Iran pursues any number of the things on their “menu” it’s going to snowball all to hell really quick.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Military infographics remind me of the stuff I drew in like half an hour before class when I had a presentation due.

e: I should be fair, this one is clear and comprehensible, which probably puts it in the 90th percentile.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2020

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Will Iranian backed militia attacks on US positions in Iraq lead to strikes in Iran itself? I would imagine that be the next major escalation point. And if they contain the strikes to within Iraq itself I cannot imagine the Iraqi government can maintain any legitimacy if that continues. One big soup sandwich for all involved.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

They collectively worship an Old One god known as Radium Code, who requires regular sacrifices.

As someone that's done a bunch of work for science labs, reverse engineering old equipment so they could keep doing experiments, I have seen many Radiums, or at least I've seen their work. I think the sacrifice was my soul - on the plus side, the science still gets done.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Yeah. That lasted for like a week before they said gently caress it and made me an admin. The super mod position is staying and well have more of them but the powers that be needed more admins around.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Read it. So should everyone else.

That’s loving insane and a lot worse than the already pessimistic assumptions I had made. Ignoring the discussion about right and wrong, if Iran pursues any number of the things on their “menu” it’s going to snowball all to hell really quick.

My first assumption was that Trump's thought process was as simple as "They tried to benghazi me, no one beghazis me!" after the coverage of the embassy attack, and massively overreacted. That still seems to fit best.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nick_l_miller/status/1213474764670545922?s=21

Max Pressure Campaign is hard, it turns out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahaha that so US.pptx

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’ve never been briefed on any of this so take that for what it’s worth.

It’s Lowtax’s website and he can do what he wants.

Administrators have sitewide powers. They approve bans and longer probations. They can close forums, create new ones, mess with the database, mess with the code.

Moderators are generally confined to one forum. They have power in any subforums thereof, but the day‐to‐day moderation may be delegated to subforum‐specific moderators. Moderators read reports and choose appropriate punishment.

Super Moderators are new so I’ll let Jeffrey’s announcement speak for itself:

quote:

What is a Super Mod?
Basically they’re a forums-wide IK, a kind of half-step between an mod and an admin. They have the same buttons that IKs have for all forums and as such can lend a hand with modding when necessary.

What do they do?
Much like IKs, they're here to help the normal, full time mods. They won’t be setting policy or rules in any subs other than the ones they mod on a day to day basis. They won’t be handing out the heaviest of punishments, although they do have a bit more discretion on how long a probation to issue than an IK. Ideally you won’t see them at all. They’re there to pop in and deal with sudden issues that need immediate attention. Long term solutions are still up to the full time mod when they are available.

So what are idiot kings?

Idiot kings have moderator powers within a particular forum, but they’re not actually moderators. They can’t read reports or read the moderator‐only forum. They can fix things they find themselves or that they are informed of via private message.

A common purpose for idiot kings is to patrol particular threads that demand special attention. For example, D&D has threads in languages other than English, and some threads have their own rules that apply only to them. It would be difficult for any forum‐wide moderators to keep up with it all.

Other times, idiot king powers are give out to actual idiots because it’s funny.

eta:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. That lasted for like a week before they said gently caress it and made me an admin. The super mod position is staying and well have more of them but the powers that be needed more admins around.

I thought that might be the case with Smythe stepping down.

Reene is also a full administrator now?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

When you’re tasked to diagram the IRGC, but you’re also a nerd who likes the triforce and other fantasy runes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and SA rank structure: (it’s actually more feudal than military)

Lowtax sits atop a fell throne of poo poo posts.

The admins have site-wide authority. They come in a. Few different flavors, mostly having to do with if they have coding capabilities or not. We’ve actually got a good coder on hand right now which means some things are changing. Admins can probate, ban etc anywhere in the forums but usually restrict themselves to approving the poo poo handed down by mods. Subforum mods know their communities best and they generally are deferred too. Admins can see all forums, including the mod forum and poo poo like the test forum where we can play with poo poo without loving up an actual forum people are using. They get a red icon.

Mods have control of their communities. They have ban/probate privileges in their forums but need approval for anything longer than a day. They set the rules and policies in their forums. Admins take their lead on forum specific poo poo unless something is really really hosed. Mods can see the mod forum and the test forum. They get a blue icon.

IKs are basically deputized posters. They have mod-lite powers. They can queue punishments but only auto approve sizers and are asked to limit their punishments to that. They can’t see the mod forum. Frequently they are for specific high traffic threads that they have special knowledge of or just read a lot. It’s not realistic to expect mods to read every thread in a big forum like GBS, so if there’s one that is just crazy busy that’s where IKs step in. They don’t have a special colored icon.

Super mods are basically forums-wide IKs with a couple of lesser admin powers. They can probate anywhere and are mostly there to just respond to crises where everyone needs a sixer to go have smoke break and calm down until the normal mod for that forum gets home. Other than that they’re identical to mods. We had two but just promoted both of them to admin. Super mod isn’t a promotion pathway to admin, although it happened here. We want a couple of them specifically to take care of super mod jobs so we’ll be finding a couple more sooner or later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Reene is also a full administrator now?

Yep.

Oh and there’s a really good “ask mods about the forums” thread stickied in A/T right now.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh and SA rank structure: (it’s actually more feudal than military)

Lowtax sits atop a fell throne of poo poo posts.

The admins have site-wide authority. They come in a. Few different flavors, mostly having to do with if they have coding capabilities or not. We’ve actually got a good coder on hand right now which means some things are changing. Admins can probate, ban etc anywhere in the forums but usually restrict themselves to approving the poo poo handed down by mods. Subforum mods know their communities best and they generally are deferred too. Admins can see all forums, including the mod forum and poo poo like the test forum where we can play with poo poo without loving up an actual forum people are using. They get a red icon.

Mods have control of their communities. They have ban/probate privileges in their forums but need approval for anything longer than a day. They set the rules and policies in their forums. Admins take their lead on forum specific poo poo unless something is really really hosed. Mods can see the mod forum and the test forum. They get a blue icon.

IKs are basically deputized posters. They have mod-lite powers. They can queue punishments but only auto approve sizers and are asked to limit their punishments to that. They can’t see the mod forum. Frequently they are for specific high traffic threads that they have special knowledge of or just read a lot. It’s not realistic to expect mods to read every thread in a big forum like GBS, so if there’s one that is just crazy busy that’s where IKs step in. They don’t have a special colored icon.

Super mods are basically forums-wide IKs with a couple of lesser admin powers. They can probate anywhere and are mostly there to just respond to crises where everyone needs a sixer to go have smoke break and calm down until the normal mod for that forum gets home. Other than that they’re identical to mods. We had two but just promoted both of them to admin. Super mod isn’t a promotion pathway to admin, although it happened here. We want a couple of them specifically to take care of super mod jobs so we’ll be finding a couple more sooner or later.

It's a loving miracle this places runs as well as it does (and it does run well). Good luck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

It's a loving miracle this places runs as well as it does (and it does run well). Good luck.

Something I’ve been impressed with since I first became a mod is how dedicated and hard working the mod/admin staff is. People there genuinely love their communities and want to make them better and are willing to put in some serious thought and work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

F

:patriot: