Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

Iran is by all accounts a semi-hostile dictatorship and he went on their state propaganda TV in exchange for piles of money. And now "the west" has taken action against Iran for mainstream justified reasons and Corbyn is speaking up in defense of Iran.

Just imagine that it was Boris Johnson and he got money from an American private healthcare company for wholly unrelated reasons and now he wants to drop his 2 cents on the best approach to the NHS is.

So your response to a request for further details is to reveal that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about

e: 15 pounds of bullshit in the post I quoted

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tarnop posted:

So your response to a request for further details is to reveal that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about

e: 15 pounds of bullshit in the post I quoted

What request is that?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Like 'semi-hostile dictatorship' means anything in 2020.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

Like 'semi-hostile dictatorship' means anything in 2020.

Considering the relationship between British and Iranian ships I could probably have said "hostile" while being honest but I wanted to afford Iran a bit more credit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wonder if there's anything about britain's foreign policy that might make Iran a bit standoffish.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not Shah.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

I think we should take a moment to appreciate that for once we don't have the shittest elected Prime Minister in the world (for now), Australia has taken that crown

hey be fair being that terrible is a team effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-coJH2X8Y&t=245s

yes I get all my australia news from the "in the hall of the corbyn KING" guy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Iran is also not a dictatorship. It's theocratic for sure, and that's bad, but that doesn't make it a dictatorship. It does also have relatively decent elections that frequently (especially recently) frustrate the theocratic old guard.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

What request is that?

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

When Corbyn went on Iranian TV, what sort of line was he actually pushing? He generally seems the type that's willing to talk to anyone, while holding to his own views of peaceful cooperation.
I remember one time this came up, he pointed out that he also regularly goes on the BBC despite not agreeing with them either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Iran is also not a dictatorship. It's theocratic for sure, and that's bad, but that doesn't make it a dictatorship. It does also have relatively decent elections that frequently (especially recently) frustrate the theocratic old guard.
They have religious leaders that are qualified to sit in their Upper House just because they're religious leaders of the state religion.

That's fairly dictatorial, I think there's only two countries in the world that pull poo poo like that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Wonder if there's anything about britain's foreign policy that might make Iran a bit standoffish.

I don't think "trust me we earned it" would be a good stance for a British politician to take when trying to assure the British people that his paid work for the Iranian government in no way means a conflict of interest.

There is no conflict of interest obviously but then the speech is not for existing supporters but the wider audience.

Likewise comparing the BBC to Iran's state TV is also a bad idea for the same reason. Did Corbyn ever go on Fox? If he did then that would be a good comparison.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

disturbing to hear that anti-war campaigner Jeremy Corbyn is in fact Iranian TV sleeper agent Jeremiah Warbin

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They have religious leaders that are qualified to sit in their Upper House just because they're religious leaders of the state religion.

That's fairly dictatorial, I think there's only two countries in the world that pull poo poo like that.

:v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh hey there's been a new thread for a few days and 15 pages, happy new year goons. It's really loving me up that Blade Runner was last year now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

baka kaba posted:

disturbing to hear that anti-war campaigner Jeremy Corbyn is in fact Iranian TV sleeper agent Jeremiah Warbin

The BEARD!!! It all makes sense now coincidenceithinknot!!!!!!!! :aaa:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

Likewise comparing the BBC to Iran's state TV is also a bad idea for the same reason. Did Corbyn ever go on Fox? If he did then that would be a good comparison.

BBC exceptionalism

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Now you're misunderstanding my post. I never implied that what Corbyn did was unethical. I'm implying that it looks really bad and was probably a bad idea even at the time. It also means that he should probably step lightly on the topic of Iran for the rest of his career.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

like seriously, anyone who takes a guy who's (in)famously anti-war and looks at their current anti-war rhetoric and goes "AHA clearly IRAN has paid them to take this stance" isn't acting remotely in good faith. There are people in far more deep with regional players (and not on the level of a few grand either) who won't see any scrutiny at all, hmm how strange

crispix posted:

The BEARD!!! It all makes sense now coincidenceithinknot!!!!!!!! :aaa:

*Warbin moves to pull his beard off but it extends into a longer beard*

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

Now you're misunderstanding my post. I never implied that what Corbyn did was unethical. I'm implying that it looks really bad and was probably a bad idea even at the time. It also means that he should probably step lightly on the topic of Iran for the rest of his career.

I understood your post just fine. You were asked what Corbyn actually did on Iranian TV, and you dodged the question.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I had a look around this morning to see what he actually said, most of it's been scrubbed but I saw one of him with a shocking take about how actually killing people is bad. The worst thing journos describe is him "looking shocked" whilst some callers said some pretty poisonous anti-Israel stuff (nothing explicitly antisemitic, but very much pushing the bounds). If there was anything worse, I'm sure the commentariat would be singing it from the rooftops.

Also found this charming screengrab

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
At last, my username is topical

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tarnop posted:

I understood your post just fine. You were asked what Corbyn actually did on Iranian TV, and you dodged the question.

What he did on Iranian TV is inconsequential because it was harmless.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

imo LOTO should speak out on massive foreign policy issues

How would it look if he didn't?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

What he did on Iranian TV is inconsequential because it was harmless.

So you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about. Good to know.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So what was it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you considered that any labour politician criticizing what the government does is bad because actually the government is good and we should definitely do another war?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Here's an article about Corbyn & Press TV from 2016.

https://medium.com/@Eques4/lets-talk-about-press-tv-2ac8bcf2c9da

(I haven't personally watched any Press TV / Corbyn stuff).

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Tarnop posted:

So you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about. Good to know.

i think the idea is that the media and chuds will use his old appearance on iranian tv as an excuse to attack him for opposition to war with iran

personally i don't see a reason to care because we just saw the entire press spend years smearing the lifelong anti-racist as a nazi, the journo scum would've just invented something to attack him anyways

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If invading Iran is such a bad idea, why did Stalin join us the last time we did it?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RottenK posted:

i think the idea is that the media and chuds will use his old appearance on iranian tv as an excuse to attack him for opposition to war with iran

personally i don't see a reason to care because we just saw the entire press spend years smearing the lifelong anti-racist as a nazi, the journo scum would've just invented something to attack him anyways

Well exactly. Our esteemed comrade Katt is just regurgitating right wing talking points as if this one has any particular merit beyond involving the word "Iran".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tarnop posted:

Well exactly. Our esteemed comrade Katt is just regurgitating right wing talking points as if this one has any particular merit beyond involving the word "Iran".

No you are just purposely misconstruing my post of "Labour criticism of the Iran situation via Corbyn looks bad and has no teeth" as "Corbyn is in fact bad" and then you repeatedly respond to that strawman. Over and over and over.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the fact that the Tories and media will rip into Corbyn for saying that war with Iran is actually bad is not a good reason for him not to say that

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

the fact that the Tories and media will rip into Corbyn for saying that war with Iran is actually bad is not a good reason for him not to say that

Also..why does it matter? He's stepping down. It no longer makes any difference if he gets slammed for it so he might as well speak his conscience.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Katt posted:

No you are just purposely misconstruing my post of "Labour criticism of the Iran situation via Corbyn looks bad and has no teeth" as "Corbyn is in fact bad" and then you repeatedly respond to that strawman. Over and over and over.

you're literally arguing Corbyn should stop being an anti-war advocate because of one particular daily mail take, and those are a renewable resource

maybe the left's arguments should be based on principles and pragmatism (of the "starting a huge war is bad" kind) rather than relying on the bulletproof charisma of their spokesperson deflecting all possible attacks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

If by "has no teeth" you mean they can't do anything about it then yes, that's how our government works. Whether or not he went on the TV has zero loving bearing on whether people give a poo poo though, what part of this are you not getting? Were you paying any attention over the last three years? The US starting a war with Iran and Johnson dragging us into it are both bad, but people don't want to believe that because they're dickheads and the press won't criticise it because they're dickheads too, that's it, end of. It has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of actual facts about whether it's actually bad or whether corbyn went on the TV or not, zero, none. A bunch of old lovely assholes like the tories and think war is great cos they're loving morons, that's it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Julio Cruz posted:

No but he shouldn't be spearheading the whole effort. He should take a step back and let Labour and other Labour figures be the main driving force.

feedmegin posted:

Also..why does it matter? He's stepping down. It no longer makes any difference if he gets slammed for it so he might as well speak his conscience.

It matters because Labour has to to keep Boris from Iraq 2.0ing this thing and in this particular case Corbyn is probably the most compromised person available to spearhead the effort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

It matters because Labour has to to keep Boris from Iraq 2.0ing this thing and in this particular case Corbyn is probably the most compromised person available to spearhead the effort.

Labour absolutely does not have to do that, labour is the minority, the tories get to do whatever they want for the next five years, and the consequences are entirely their fault.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I see the BBC's innovation of blaming the opposition for bad government policy is catching on :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Katt posted:

Just tell whichever facebook uncle beat you in an argument by playing the "Joremy Crombyn is an Iranian agent" card to get hosed and give the rest of us the afternoon off :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

Just tell whichever facebook uncle beat you in an argument by playing the "Joremy Crombyn is an Iranian agent" card to get hosed and give the rest of us the afternoon off :v:

Fiiiine.