Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
You'll probably lose more range from spirited driving than increased rolling resistance with the new tires :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Trip Report:

Decided to torture test the Leaf in the worst travel regime possible yesterday, 160 miles, over a mountain pass with temps below 30F, and from sea-level to over 4,000', about 4" of snow in the road by the time I got there.

Worked out pretty well, had to HVDC quick charge twice due to conditions but I made the journey in decent time and comfort.

Also: gently caress Electrify America and their cash-grabby pricing model.

This is pretty cool, I assume this was Snoqualmie, and checked and was surprised that the Chademo coverage is actually pretty good along I-90 there. Lack of Chademo along route 2/Steven Pass was one of the reasons I didn't choose the Leaf.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
It was actually Stevens! I charged in Monroe and Skykomish, all the Chademo chargers along the pass are on some weird local network, and expensive ($7.50/charge, which is a pretty dumb pricing model) but the Plugshare app can be used to pay/activate them and works pretty well.

I currently have the EA app, plugshare app, and a blink card, all with my credit card info, so it's only a matter of time until that info's compromised, lol.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I bought a Hyundai Ioniq plug in hybrid because I don't have Tesla money. Got it brand new for 19k. So far I've driven almost 200 miles without gas and besides road trips it looks like that'll be the norm. I live in an apartment but my work has free charging.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of the Ioniq (EV). I just found out that Hyundai gave the wrong weight data to the Swedish government, so you can't legally load the car with more than 170kg, meaning that if you want 3 passengers, they have to weigh like 43kg.
GG

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mike the TV posted:

I bought a Hyundai Ioniq plug in hybrid because I don't have Tesla money. Got it brand new for 19k. So far I've driven almost 200 miles without gas and besides road trips it looks like that'll be the norm. I live in an apartment but my work has free charging.

Aside from road trips, I've put maybe 10 gasoline miles on my Volt. Love it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of the Ioniq (EV). I just found out that Hyundai gave the wrong weight data to the Swedish government, so you can't legally load the car with more than 170kg, meaning that if you want 3 passengers, they have to weigh like 43kg.
GG

I'm not sure I can legally drive that car in Sweden.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The plugin Ioniq has a much smaller electric motor and battery than the Volt does though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

I'm not sure I can legally drive that car in Sweden.
You could, however, fit an entire Swedish bikini team in there.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

dissss posted:

The plugin Ioniq has a much smaller electric motor and battery than the Volt does though

Yeah it's not as far on the traditional car -> EV scale, but the electric range covers my commute both ways with some to spare, and afterwards gets over 50 mpg if I would ever need it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah it's not as far on the traditional car -> EV scale, but the electric range covers my commute both ways with some to spare, and afterwards gets over 50 mpg if I would ever need it.

My wife and I love our plug in Ioniq, it's a 2018 but like you we hardly use the gas, just for road trips. It convinced us of the viability of EVs, so we bought a Kona as well. 29 mile range gets us to work and back without issue and chores around town as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are the Tesla Model 3 & S the only non-SUV AWD EVs?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The upcoming Polestar 2 is a sedan, and has an AWD option. Rumors are that the VW I.D. 3 will also have a performance oriented AWD model in the future.

The reason why you don't see a lot of choices these days is SUVs are just so dang popular it doesn't make sense to sell sedans.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Charles posted:

Are the Tesla Model 3 & S the only non-SUV AWD EVs?

Porsche Taycan is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mike the TV posted:

It's more that it kicks the petrol engine in if you need to go up a hill or accelerate reasonably briskly. At least that was my experience on a test drive without fiddling with anything, presumably you can change some setting to keep it on the electric motor for longer.

E. I love the Ioniq EV though and hope to replace my Leaf with one once they depreciate a bit further. I really like that they can pass as a normal car and get pretty decent range without resorting to a huge battery.

dissss fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 5, 2020

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Jaguar I-Pace looks more like a sedan than the CUV it allegedly is, is always AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

James Baud posted:

The Jaguar I-Pace looks more like a sedan than the CUV it allegedly is, is always AWD.

it looks like a CUV for sure, it's weirdly tall and has giant wheels for unknown reasons

the e-tron looks more carlike to me, it's kind of like a roided up EV version of the Allroad

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

dissss posted:

It's more that it kicks the petrol engine in if you need to go up a hill or accelerate reasonably briskly. At least that was my experience on a test drive without fiddling with anything, presumably you can change some setting to keep it on the electric motor for longer.

E. I love the Ioniq EV though and hope to replace my Leaf with one once they depreciate a bit further. I really like that they can pass as a normal car and get pretty decent range without resorting to a huge battery.

Has the longer range Ionic EV shipped yet? Any specs??

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I just saw a model Y up close. It's really not much bigger than the 3.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
There was a pic this morning somewhere with a blue Y right between 2 blue 3s (on freeway). The Y certainly seemed a good bit taller.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 8, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
There was a Tesla at the only fast charge station in Spartanburg SC and the driver was trying to set up an EVgo account because it wouldn't just take a credit card. When I got back from the convenience store with my chips and Powerball the Tesla was charging, and was at 4%. Oof, got there on the last electrons.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

There was a Tesla at the only fast charge station in Spartanburg SC and the driver was trying to set up an EVgo account because it wouldn't just take a credit card. When I got back from the convenience store with my chips and Powerball the Tesla was charging, and was at 4%. Oof, got there on the last electrons.

Are you sure they were on the fast charger? They'd have to use a $500 clunky Chademo adapter. Either way, yeesh, lowest I ever got to a supercharger was 5% and that felt a little hairy.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are you sure they were on the fast charger? They'd have to use a $500 clunky Chademo adapter. Either way, yeesh, lowest I ever got to a supercharger was 5% and that felt a little hairy.

He had the $500 chunky Chademo adapter. Nearest Supercharger is in Greenville 30 miles away.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
Oof, at least he doesn't have to charge long to get the range needed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

Way back in ~2015 or so, I had my Volt plugged in at a free (Whole Foods) ChargePoint L2 charger. When I came back outside, some dipshit with a brand new Model S P90D had unplugged my car, and was repeatedly plugging his in, unplugging it, and screaming at the station in Spanish. He had made it to the charger with TWO MILES of displayed range remaining, but didn’t have a ChargePoint account to get the charger to turn back on.

(Or the capacity to understand that its not like a gas pump.)

I swiped my card and got the gently caress out before he realized that the charge was going to take ~16hrs.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We take delivery of our Bolt tomorrow. In the meantime I've been amusing myself signing up for charging networks in B.C. Great fun.

It's all a bit confusing, like if every gas station only accepted its own credit card incompatible with other stations.

I don't mind $10 for an RFID card to avoid unpleasant surprises in the mountain passes in winter. I don't think I'll bother with the $15 card so I can get $0.75 of free electricity while I'm at the swimming pool once a week.

Seems a bit strange, electricity is free, but you need to pay for a card to unlock it?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ilkhan posted:

There was a pic this morning somewhere with a blue Y right between 2 blue 3s (on freeway). The Y certainly seemed a good bit taller.

I wonder if it was the same one. I saw it leaving the Fremont factory this morning on my way to work. Blue with two engineers in it, and those new black hubcaps it's been spotted with.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Hexigrammus posted:

Seems a bit strange, electricity is free, but you need to pay for a card to unlock it?
It’s all built on the assumption that none of it will be free in 5-10 years, and everyone is trying to get as big a user and install base as possible in place before that time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ulf posted:

It’s all built on the assumption that none of it will be free in 5-10 years, and everyone is trying to get as big a user and install base as possible in place before that time.

If that was the case you’d give the cards away for free to build the base.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

MrYenko posted:

Way back in ~2015 or so, I had my Volt plugged in at a free (Whole Foods) ChargePoint L2 charger. When I came back outside, some dipshit with a brand new Model S P90D had unplugged my car, and was repeatedly plugging his in, unplugging it, and screaming at the station in Spanish. He had made it to the charger with TWO MILES of displayed range remaining, but didn’t have a ChargePoint account to get the charger to turn back on.

(Or the capacity to understand that its not like a gas pump.)

I swiped my card and got the gently caress out before he realized that the charge was going to take ~16hrs.

How was the guy able to unplug from your car? I need to press the unlock on the fob to unplug, unless I'm full up, on the Ioniq and Kona.

Regardless, that seems like a huge etiquette breach.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A Strange Aeon posted:

How was the guy able to unplug from your car? I need to press the unlock on the fob to unplug, unless I'm full up, on the Ioniq and Kona.

Regardless, that seems like a huge etiquette breach.
Yank it really hard.

That's what I did before I figured out that if I have 50% charge I need to go into EV settings and move the "Charge up to this %" bar to 40%" to remove the plug easily.

I r smrt

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Volt doesn't have a locking charge port. You can unplug a Volt at any time. Though depending on a setting it may cause the alarm to start sounding.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

We take delivery of our Bolt tomorrow. In the meantime I've been amusing myself signing up for charging networks in B.C. Great fun.

It's all a bit confusing, like if every gas station only accepted its own credit card incompatible with other stations.

I don't mind $10 for an RFID card to avoid unpleasant surprises in the mountain passes in winter. I don't think I'll bother with the $15 card so I can get $0.75 of free electricity while I'm at the swimming pool once a week.

BC canada?
After 3 years of charging, I have 1 chargepoint account with money on it, and thats so I can charge at City of Vancouver Chargepoints - they charge $1 more than the standard cost of parking.
BCHydro app is free, Flo is free, and I haven't needed anything else.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Westy543 posted:

I wonder if it was the same one. I saw it leaving the Fremont factory this morning on my way to work. Blue with two engineers in it, and those new black hubcaps it's been spotted with.
Could be. I can't seem to find the picture again anywhere.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

blindjoe posted:

BC canada?
After 3 years of charging, I have 1 chargepoint account with money on it, and thats so I can charge at City of Vancouver Chargepoints - they charge $1 more than the standard cost of parking.
BCHydro app is free, Flo is free, and I haven't needed anything else.

Good to know. I'm mainly concerned about the run from Vancouver to Osoyoos so I got a Chargepoint card with a balance on it. Don't know if we'll ever actually use it but it's worth the price of a few cups of coffee not to risk my wife standing in the snow in the middle of nowhere trying to get a charger to connect.

The apps are free but neither of us have a data plan on our phones. It might be a non-issue since the chargers we might want to use in Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo are probably within wifi coverage. We'll see. Considering this vehicle can do a return trip from Nanaimo to Victoria or Campbell River without recharging I'm probably being overly paranoid.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pretty detailed Taycan review from a guy who's owned a model S 85d and 100d.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Uncamoed ID.4 spotted:

https://twitter.com/bartekg/status/1214481342760660994

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looks pretty nice. I'm still bitter were not getting the ID3 in the us tho.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I think it took reading 3 or 4 articles about the Sony Vision-S before my brain stopped seeing 'Toyota' instead of 'Sony'.

Goddammit stop making smartphones with wheels! And video games! WTF

Touchscreens in cars: worst trend or totally worstest trend?

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

totally absolute worstest trend