Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Katt posted:

It matters because Labour has to to keep Boris from Iraq 2.0ing this thing and in this particular case Corbyn is probably the most compromised person available to spearhead the effort.

How do Labour keep Boris from doing this. Let's have some details, not the handwaving bullshit you've been serving up for the last 2 pages

e: fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

First, Corbyn needs to win on December 12

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Katt posted:

It matters because Labour has to to keep Boris from Iraq 2.0ing this thing and in this particular case Corbyn is probably the most compromised person available to spearhead the effort.

Labour can't, mate. Corbyn saying or not saying a thing won't change that.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tesseraction posted:

First, Corbyn needs to win on December 12

The road to a peaceful future starts now, and from somewhere else

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Shocking thought: What if Trump forces the UK into helping with invading Iran as part of the Brexit trade deal?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Shocking thought: What if Trump forces the UK into helping with invading Iran as part of the Brexit trade deal?

lol at you thinking johnson needs an excuse to go tongue first into the american arse

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Katt posted:

No but he shouldn't be spearheading the whole effort. He should take a step back and let Labour and other Labour figures be the main driving force.

he's the leader of the opposition, seems like a pretty reasonable choice to be spearheading the opposition response to me

e: funny how the people who wanted Corbyn to "show leadership" in the runup to the election are also now criticising him for doing so :thunk:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 4, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

I see the UK's position like

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

he's the leader of the opposition, seems like a pretty reasonable choice to be spearheading the opposition response to me

Literally anything Corbyn might say can be responded to by Johnson with "I think the British people have made their view clear who they want to be making these decisions on their behalf". The election result is a complete get-out-of-jail free card and that's why defeated leaders traditionally step aside quickly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hey UK Hello! Trump here. Love you guys, and I know you guys love me.
Just talked with your Prime Minister Boris here, great man, wonderful and strong.
And we have agreed a HUGE trade deal.
Massive. A great deal.
We, the US, will send you lot our Pink Slime cheap. So cheap.
And in return, Boris. Great man. Has agreed to send your soldiers to Iran to become Pink Slime.
Thank you.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
The opposition choice comes down to
a) Abet the tories, look weak and end up on the wrong side of history 2 decades from now. "Doing a Harman", if you will.
b) Oppose the tories and be ridiculed as cowards now, then end up on the right side of history.

That Corbyn has chosen option b should come as no surprise. He's done the unpopular but principled thing for basically his entire political career. The short term outcome is inevitable though. Opposition parties don't make policy. We're off to war.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Alchenar posted:

Literally anything Corbyn might say can be responded to by Johnson with "I think the British people have made their view clear who they want to be making these decisions on their behalf". The election result is a complete get-out-of-jail free card and that's why defeated leaders traditionally step aside quickly.
Elections are not a referendum on what every single person in the country is expected to believe is right and all the tory voters who are suddenly acting like they always have been just because the result went their way can gently caress all the way off and back again. Corbyn is right and that's all that matters to anyone who isn't a tory oval office :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have they asked Jo Swinson?

I know her answer would be to vitrify Persia, but has anyone cared enough to even ask?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Who Swinson

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm very :haw: at this thread thinking we'll be involved in a conflict with Iran, The British Army and Military in general are in a sorry state post warfighting in Afghanistan and cuts from the current Tory government. We committed 43k troops for Iraq 2.0 we were roughly over the 100k mark, we are down to around 72k troops but that counts people who haven't even done their trade training. We don't have the capability to add anything decent with our current commitments around the globe, QE is still on sea trials and doubt it could be pushed forward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You don't think that Boris Johnson will gleefully commit Britain to doing something that it lacks the infrastructure and general capability to do and would be a disaster whether it could or not?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm very :haw: at this thread thinking we'll be involved in a conflict with Iran, The British Army and Military in general are in a sorry state post warfighting in Afghanistan and cuts from the current Tory government. We committed 43k troops for Iraq 2.0 we were roughly over the 100k mark, we are down to around 72k troops but that counts people who haven't even done their trade training. We don't have the capability to add anything decent with our current commitments around the globe, QE is still on sea trials and doubt it could be pushed forward.
Why do you assume it has to be decent for you to participate? That's never stopped the vast majority of the countries joining American military adventures.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MonkeyLibFront posted:

HMS Brenda has gone beyond her sea trials and is on the last steps of operational trials hence the launch of an F-35B from the flight deck while she's berthed at Portsmouth before Christmas, she should be combat ready by the autumn. HMS Bastard Offspring's about three years behind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I don't think we have the capability either, I just don't know whether that would stop big brain boris.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Isn't this just what we do though, overcommitting and chasing that prestige and clout even though we're massively underresourced, trying to roll with the big boys who are just going "m8 wtf are you even doing"? And that's before we were brexiting and desperately trying to prove we've STILL GOT IT

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Have they asked Jo Swinson?

I know her answer would be to vitrify Persia, but has anyone cared enough to even ask?
I'm imagining Chuka Umanu descending Apocalypse Now style into the heart of cheshire to find Jo;, now worshipped by a fubpee cult of guerilla squirrel murderers.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah we will participate in the Iran war no matter how embarrassingly small our contribution is.

Remember in Libya when Cameron was doing his war leader statesman routine, Great Britain still striding the world like a colossus, and there were like two British planes taking part.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

quote:

Britain's military overextension in the war on terror is the result of an imperial hangover that has blighted foreign policy since 1945, historian Correlli Barnett will tell a conference at Cambridge University this afternoon.

Opening a seminar celebrating his own 80th birthday, the distinguished military historian will claim that delusions of grandeur about Britain's role as a first-class world power have led to “ludicrous” levels of over-commitment in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mr Barnett will say that Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron are merely the latest in a string of political leaders clinging doggedly to the myth that Britain's influence in foreign affairs is on a level footing with the United States.

quote:

In his opening remarks, the historian will argue that leading figures in Whitehall and Westminster have been exaggerating Britain's importance in the world since before 1945.

“Such exaggeration has remained the besetting sin of British total strategy right up to the present day and also remained a sure recipe for a discordance between military commitments and financial resources,” he will claim in his address.

He will describe the governing elite of the past 60 years as “mental prisoners of Britain's past as a world and imperial power,” often indoctrinated with delusions of national grandeur in public schools that programmed them to be “house prefects to the world”.

“At the present time, the British Army and its air support are just too small to fight simultaneous large-scale guerrilla wars in Iraq and in Afghanistan,” Mr Barnett will add. “In other words, a case of true overstretch. It is why our commitment in Iraq is being gradually cut back – simply to enable us to concentrate our limited strength on Afghanistan.”

*boris johnson picture*

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

HMS Brenda has gone beyond her sea trials and is on the last steps of operational trials hence the launch of an F-35B from the flight deck while she's berthed at Portsmouth before Christmas, she should be combat ready by the autumn. HMS Bastard Offspring's about three years behind

Autumn's looking very generous, I wouldn't be surprised as a small carrier group wouldn't be deployable till early 21, I'm not too clued up on the delivery timeline of the F35 and when an Air Wing would be available and pilots being rated for carrier landings, I'm assuming that's why we've had a hefty pilot exchange program with the US in order to keep people current.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do you assume it has to be decent for you to participate? That's never stopped the vast majority of the countries joining American military adventures.

Certain parts of frontline equipment are in such a sorry state it would fail before your crossed the line of departure and recent kicking the can down the road in terms of life extension programs have not helped.

I'm all for making do and cracking on, but we did that with a fairly well supplied and trained force in 2003 and cracks showed with that in terms of body armour and communication equipment, we've gone 180 and now the big ticket machinery of war are for a better term 'hosed'.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

They have religious leaders that are qualified to sit in their Upper House just because they're religious leaders of the state religion.

That's fairly dictatorial, I think there's only two countries in the world that pull poo poo like that.

How many Lords Spiritual are there anyway?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm imagining Chuka Umanu descending Apocalypse Now style into the heart of cheshire to find Jo;, now worshipped by a fubpee cult of guerilla squirrel murderers.
She's camped out in the one last Lib Dem stronghold.

Heart of Caithness.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm all for making do and cracking on, but we did that with a fairly well supplied and trained force in 2003 and cracks showed with that in terms of body armour and communication equipment, we've gone 180 and now the big ticket machinery of war are for a better term 'hosed'.
Again you're assuming that Johnson and Cummings's plans intersect at any point with reality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

How many Lords Spiritual are there anyway?

26, all CofE bishops.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

How come no-one has posted Chuka tweets recently?

Considering how he won his seat with the overwhelming majority he predicted I'd thought we'd all be focued on him...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Alchenar posted:

why should we give the tiniest poo poo what Boris might say

as of right now Corbyn is still the party leader, he's 100% right to make a statement on the situation

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Looks like gen z gets to have an Iraq war moment

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Autumn's looking very generous, I wouldn't be surprised as a small carrier group wouldn't be deployable till early 21, I'm not too clued up on the delivery timeline of the F35 and when an Air Wing would be available and pilots being rated for carrier landings, I'm assuming that's why we've had a hefty pilot exchange program with the US in order to keep people current.

Sending the Brenda into the Gulf would be a suicide mission (as would having her within 150 miles of the Iranian coast without a massive, presumably American, screening force). Even with a full complement the F35B is so gimped that at that range it'll be unable to do anything we can't already do from Iraq- or Turkey-based Typhoons or drones, so she'll get sent out, bounce around the Arabian Sea, and we'll get to say what a great success she is.

Meanwhile we'll send in whatever special forces we have available (probably in American planes and boats because guess what we also don't have) and spark off another bunch of lovely books, then the regular Army will get to play dodge-the-IED for a while somewhere in the mountains and all the usual suspects will get massive contracts to replace the broken kit that killed them in the first place, and everyone's happy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Nah, you can definitely use Brenda for use as an amphibious transport dock for land troops to deploy via chopper if they wanted, the hanger's big enough and can be configured for it. It would just be a loving pointless exercise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And that's going to be February's thread title.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like choppers flying low in/near Iranian airspace would be A Very Bad Move

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So a totally Boris thing to agree to then

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nah, you can definitely use Brenda for use as an amphibious transport dock for land troops to deploy via chopper if they wanted, the hanger's big enough and can be configured for it

Well yes, if we had enough choppers to make that feasible. We don't. We also don't really have the transport ships to get the troops there, and we don't have the capability to sequester cruise liners to do the job like we did in the Falklands. For all the pretensions of having a blue-water navy, we're somehow even less capable of force projection than we were in 1982, and this time we're talking about fighting an actual modern force that is up for the fight.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

So a totally Boris thing to agree to then

sure but the army isn't going to agree to it, this isn't the charge of the Light Brigade

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, I'd considered voting for Starmer in the leadership election but after his tepid response to Trump's latest piece of stupidity, I'm gonna be RLB all the way. gently caress 5 years of Johnson wrecking poo poo while Starmer opines that : "Now is not the time to be dragging politics into this."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well yes, if we had enough choppers to make that feasible. We don't. We also don't really have the transport ships to get the troops there, and we don't have the capability to sequester cruise liners to do the job like we did in the Falklands. For all the pretensions of having a blue-water navy, we're somehow even less capable of force projection than we were in 1982, and this time we're talking about fighting an actual modern force that is up for the fight.

The US spends as much as the entire UK government budget every year on the DoD. They'll be doing the heavy lifting and as usual the UK will sail around waving the flag pretending to help while we get a bunch of light infantry (the only thing that we are actually still good at) killed doing security work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

all the usual suspects will get massive contracts to replace the broken kit that killed them in the first place, and everyone's happy.

Not only them, but big construction firms literally rubbing their hands in glee at the reconstruction contracts they think they'll get once we've smashed the place up (I saw this actually happen - quite literally - in an office we shared with a large construction firm).