Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

dexter6 posted:

I’ve got a couple old FAR/AIMs, textbooks and POHs that I want to get rid of.

Is there anyone I could give them to who would find value in them? Anything I need to reference I have in my EFB so they are taking up space and don’t want to just throw them away.

Is there any sort of aviation school nearby? An A&P school might be able to use the POHs, especially.

Even a vocational school or Career Technical Center which has a small program might appreciate all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Odd/unfamiliar POHs might also be valuable to a school that's trying to prepare practice exam/instructional material so it's not all based on aircraft the students are already familiar with.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is the only way to do a procedure turn off of a localizer with a secondary nav source (NDB, tacan, GPS, or radar)?

Trying to puzzle out a 1 navigation radio solution to doing an ILS procedure turn. Looks like most approaches either say NDB/RADAR required or have the IAF listed with the text “RADAR” underneath

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Is it a matter of identifying the point at which you can begin the procedure turn?

If it's a cross-radial fix you can do it with a single VOR receiver by switching periodically to the standby frequency to determine when the CDI centers showing you're crossing it outbound.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

Is the only way to do a procedure turn off of a localizer with a secondary nav source (NDB, tacan, GPS, or radar)?

Trying to puzzle out a 1 navigation radio solution to doing an ILS procedure turn. Looks like most approaches either say NDB/RADAR required or have the IAF listed with the text “RADAR” underneath

If they have NDB or Radar required it's because of exactly that reason, there is no really good way to do it without a second nav or DME.

The only real way to do it would be to have a crossing radial dialed in (since the LOC will ignore the OBS) to identify the fix with the VOR tuned to the standby and swap the frequency frequently until it centers.

Real world outside of the training environment you will never do this. Hell I'd be amazed if a DPE made you do it on a check ride.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Oh yeah, I figured. Hell, I’m the instructor. The student I was flying with yesterday asked me how to do it and I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out. I’m also teaching him in a stage using radio instruments only, of which we only have a VOR radio.

I know I’ve done them in the past, but in aircraft that either had an NDB, second VOR radio, or a TACAN.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Severe mountain wave turbulence can officially go eat my rear end.

Me, yesterday: "moderate to severe turbulence reported by a 172? Oh, they exaggerate that poo poo all the time!"
Me, yesterday approximately 30 minutes later: "Uh, yeah, let's turn around and go back at safely below maneuvering speed, and please make sure your seatbelt is good and tight."

It was mostly continuous moderate, but we got one or two glimpses at what I'd call severe.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's not severe until your feet come off the rudder pedals and your knees crack the trim pad on the bottom of the instrument panel.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Severe mountain wave turbulence can officially go eat my rear end.

Me, yesterday: "moderate to severe turbulence reported by a 172? Oh, they exaggerate that poo poo all the time!"
Me, yesterday approximately 30 minutes later: "Uh, yeah, let's turn around and go back at safely below maneuvering speed, and please make sure your seatbelt is good and tight."

It was mostly continuous moderate, but we got one or two glimpses at what I'd call severe.

You're tellin' me. I'm pissed it took me getting in bad mountain wave to get around to reading "Weather Flying" (Buck) which has a whole section on turbulence from a very practical standpoint. Would have been nice to have read first :banjo:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Anybody know what it's like being a Ryanair captain?
I got the impression their recruiting practices and first officer treatment is pretty terrible.
Captain seems like an okay gig however.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is from the OSHA thread but I am posting it because I thought the pilot had excellent soft-field/gear damage technique. Ten seconds from touchdown until the strut even starts to compress, and another five seconds after that to fully transfer the weight.

https://twitter.com/cedricfaiche/status/1213609289627119619

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 5, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Finished the IGI questions in the Gleim study guide (by "finished", I mean "did all of them at least once with a correct answer, which unlocks the signoff sheet). My average across everything was an 80, so I'd planned on cleaning up some of the weak areas, but I've done four practice tests so far for grins with their PSI emulator and...uhh...my worst is an 88 (88, 90, 88, 88). :stonk:

I'm figuring I just send the field goal unit out ASAP and get it done? My former CFII said go take it given my scores even before finishing the study guide and it's been rare that I've seen new questions on the actual written. (I also have a friend at the FSDO who can issue the temp.)

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Go take it ASAP while the questions are still in your head. You got this!

Just finished my Comm, CFI, and FOI written exams and it feels so good to get those answers out of your head. The scariest part is booking the test.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

This is from the OSHA thread but I am posting it because I thought the pilot had excellent soft-field/gear damage technique. Ten seconds from touchdown until the strut even starts to compress, and another five seconds after that to fully transfer the weight.

https://twitter.com/cedricfaiche/status/1213609289627119619

Why the hell did no passenger alert the flight attendant to what they were seeing before takeoff? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit: gently caress you autocorrect

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 6, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Why the hell did no passenger alert the flight attendant to what they were seeing wrote takeoff? 🤦🏻‍♂️

There isn't enough time to pass that word on and abort the takeoff. Besides sterile cockpit rules at that phase of flight dictate they can't contact the pilots as well as the pilots won't respond if they forget and try to.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

e.pilot posted:

There isn't enough time to pass that word on and abort the takeoff. Besides sterile cockpit rules at that phase of flight dictate they can't contact the pilots as well as the pilots won't respond if they forget and try to.

I don’t know when the sterile cockpit rules kick in but it looks/sounds to me like the initial footage is taken during the taxi. I know if it were me on that flight I’d have been yelling for an attendant. 🤷🏻‍♂️

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I don’t know when the sterile cockpit rules kick in but it looks/sounds to me like the initial footage is taken during the taxi. I know if it were me on that flight I’d have been yelling for an attendant. 🤷🏻‍♂️

From pushback to 10,000ft.

e: but most intercoms have some sort of emergency button, I would hope my FAs would try to get my attention if that were my plane

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 6, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m reminded of this which is cited on the Wikipedia page for sterile cockpits:

quote:

On July 9th, 1995 an ATR aft passenger door separated after take-off at an altitude of 600 feet (183 meters) (NTSB, 1995b). The flight attendant at the door stated that she did not think of calling the cockpit when she heard the sound of the door leak before it separated, because the aircraft was under sterile cockpit conditions (Code of Federal Regulations, 1994). When queried as to what conditions she would call the cockpit when sterile, she responded that she would call in case of fire or a problem passenger. Confusion over, and rigid interpretation of, the sterile cockpit rule is not unusual as our studies have shown[7]

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've had flight attendants break sterile cockpit exactly twice.

The first time was because we had a medical emergency that occurred just as we landed, and the FA's waited the 30 seconds for us to get off the runway and hold short of another runway before calling.

The second time, they called as we were still rolling down the runway after landing, so I answered (assuming something seriously bad had happened), only to be told "it's hot back here, can you turn the temperature down?"

After we parked, I (mostly) politely explained to the FA in question that what she'd done was totally inappropriate and unsafe, but when her response was "but I was hot!", I decided it was probably a lost cause.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would never do that.

Now if it were slightly cold...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Step 1: People have lovely judgement and do something stupid, and bad things happen.
Step 2: A rule is introduced to stop people from doing that stupid thing.
Step 3: People have lovely judgement about the rule and when to bend/break it in the interest of safety.
Step 4: Another bad thing happens.

No rule is ever going to fix the problem of a FA who thinks "I'm slightly hot" is a thing the flight deck ought to be told during landing rollout. At most, you will eventually get rid of that specific manifestation of that FA's lack of judgement (not to bag on FAs, it's exactly the same issue for pilots), while then creating a judgement call for other situations where a FA has to quickly decide: is this or is this not an emergency situation or something the flight deck needs to know about urgently?

We can't codify every situation, so in the end we just have to make as sure as possible that everyone in the flight crew has proper training and will exercise good judgement.

Students who fly well but have poo poo judgement scare me much more than students who struggle with some aspects of flying but show good judgement.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Students who fly well but have poo poo judgement scare me much more than students who struggle with some aspects of flying but show good judgement.
God ain't that the truth.

Much easier to teach stick and rudder than good judgement. This is why I hate the "anyone can learn to fly" mantra. Because sure, they can, but some people simply should not be allowed to. Case in point, Jerry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And no matter how well you fly, you will always, always be able to find a way to place yourself in a situation beyond the capabilities of you or your aircraft if you don't exercise good judgement.

My other current aggravation is dealing with test prep for my students. I did my commercial and instrument ground school online, and it worked well for me, but holy hell: when dealing with online ground school, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it, and if the extent of the effort you're going to put into it is "repeat practice exam until things go green and big number goes up" it's not going to end well.

And if you ask me to review test questions you got wrong, don't be surprised when I attempt to explain things instead of just telling you what the right answer is. I may even -- crazy, I know -- explain why the other answers are wrong, or how they may be trying to trick you with the wording of the question. This is actually not an imposition on your time, I am trying to help you pass your exam!

Also a lot of students will ask me how long they should study for their exams, or how long I studied for my exams. Like, I dunno, I studied until I felt confident I knew the material and would get a high pass. That's how long you should study too! I don't know if that will take you a weekend, a week, a month or a year.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

"repeat practice exam until things go green and big number goes up"

Feeling really seen right now.

Edit: I'm actually kind of trying to study. Which wasn't a skill I even had figured out in school, flexing all sorts of new brain muscles.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 6, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Edit: I'm actually kind of trying to study. Which wasn't a skill I even had figured out in school, flexing all sorts of new brain muscles.

Yeah, honestly the licensing exams were the first time I'd actually properly studied or had to study for an exam, and short of one or two exams in university that seriously taxed me, these are the hardest I've written.

As far as studying goes, everyone has a different technique, but I'll explain what worked for me. I go through the material I'm supposed to learn first (I figured this was common and self-explanatory, but it's not), taking notes of things that seem confusing or took me by surprise. Don't bother taking notes on the stuff that you already know, then you're just wasting energy. Once you're done with that, write a practice exam. Look at the results, and figure out if there's any pattern to the questions you got wrong, since it could indicate that there's a specific area you're weak in. Figure out why you were wrong on each question you got wrong -- there's obviously some reason that you picked the answer you did, so determine if there's a misunderstanding, a lack of knowledge, not reading the question properly, etc. Go back over the source material for those topics, and write more notes.

Don't re-write the same practice exam and try to get a better score right away. Then you're just focusing on getting questions right and not on understanding. Write another practice exam, and repeat the process. When you're done all the practice exams, look at all the questions you got wrong, and see if you now understand the correct answers. Take the notes you've written on all those subjects, and summarize them as concisely as possible. That's your new study guide. Cram that right before you write the actual exam, and you'll do fine.

Don't waste time studying the poo poo you already know; you'll feel productive, because you're "studying" but it doesn't actually do any good. Study all the stuff that makes you go "oh my god, I hope they don't ask that on the exam," until you at least feel somewhat comfortable with it. Try to understand the why of the subjects you're having trouble with. This might not help with certain topics like "until which week of pregnancy can a pregnant woman act as pilot-in-command" but for things like navigation or meteorology, it's a huge help. Remembering things without context is difficult.

Finally, if there's anything you absolutely cannot understand with the materials you have, ask an instructor, ask multiple instructors, ask other pilots, post about it here, PM me if you want (but not air law, because I only know Canadian stuff). There are tons of topics that might not make sense until they're explained in a way that makes sense you to personally, so don't worry if you don't immediately understand the way it's presented in the study guide.

And just one more note, specifically for people beyond the PPL level: I see so, so many people act like studying/ground school and flying are two separate things and you can only focus on one at a time. This is wrong, in my opinion. I think you should do both at once, because understanding theory makes you a better pilot, and doing things in the plane helps contextualize what you're learning in ground school. I see so many people attempt the written exam for the instrument rating without having even done simulator work, and then fail. If you've done nothing in the sim or in the plane, you lack the context to understand a lot of the topics and you have to rely a lot more on having a really good memory.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

e.pilot posted:

I pretty much wouldn't answer below 1000 feet, outside of that if they called me I assumed had a good reason. It only happened a few times, usually it was a good reason, when it wasn't that could usually be sussed out in about 8 seconds and a debrief could occur later on. Never in an actual emergency did they remember the 'emergency' button on the FA interphone, either... Anything flight related however, sterile doesn't really apply anyway. Sterile means non-operational or non-essential, so this by default wouldn't fall under it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah, about that. This is how I studied for my instrument, commercial, IGI, AGI, and ATP written exams. I passed all of them on my first try. Maybe in Canada the written isn't just another bureaucratic box to check like it is here in the states.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Yeah, about that. This is how I studied for my instrument, commercial, IGI, AGI, and ATP written exams. I passed all of them on my first try. Maybe in Canada the written isn't just another bureaucratic box to check like it is here in the states.

It depends. There are some questions you pretty much have to straight memorize, there are others (like, for the instrument rating: which of the following airports are legal alternates for the proposed arrival time given a huge block of TAFs) that, if you get them wrong, you better understand why you got them wrong or you'll get a slightly different question on the exam and you'll get it wrong.

What I typically see on the written exam results is strong results in the sections that rely on memorization, and weak results on the navigation/meteorology sections where understanding/process are more important, so I tend to emphasize the importance of doing more than just working up good scores on the practice exam by repetition. Mind you, I've also seen a lot of people "studying" with the practice exams and skipping the annoying, long nav questions, so it could also be that they just aren't practicing those types of questions enough and they'd do fine if they actually did the practice exam under actual exam conditions as closely as possible.

EDIT: I should also make clear, my frustration is less with any particular method of studying, and more with the complaining that occurs following a failed exam and folks looking at my like I have three heads when I tell them my exam marks. I'm not god's gift to aviation or anything else for that matter, but I have a method and I follow it and it's worked very well for me.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2020

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I studied the hell out of the book to really understand the concepts and be able to make good decisions. I resent the hell out of questions like "Which FAA circular deals with airmen? 10, 30, 40?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah those questions about pointless legal inanity are the worst.

"If you are charged with a DUI, how soon must you report it to the FAA?"

Well I don't loving plan on driving drunk so who gives a poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah those are my weakest by far, the stupid minutia "how many days" "100 feet or 150 feet?" "what's the number of this publication"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Yeah those are my weakest by far, the stupid minutia "how many days" "100 feet or 150 feet?" "what's the number of this publication"

That actually bodes quite well for you, and if that’s your weakest spot then plugging away at practice exams will work.

Try coming up with patterns, mnemonics, anything to help you memorize those stupid numbers.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

"part 43 is me" - allows me to do preventative maintenance. sigh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Yeah, about that. This is how I studied for my instrument, commercial, IGI, AGI, and ATP written exams. I passed all of them on my first try. Maybe in Canada the written isn't just another
bureaucratic box to check like it is here in the states.

Written test scores for all my ratings:
Private- 78 (my 18-year old dumbassed self waited months to take it)
Instrument- 90
Remote Pilot- N/A (Did the "current under Part 61+impossible to fail FAASafety quiz+8710=cert" path)
AGI- 85
IGI- TBD (Gleim practice test scores: 88, 90, 88, 88, 90, 88, 88)

The thing which was the most tense for me was pulling the trigger on being ready to take the two ground instructor tests. On the AGI, I kept hitting 84s and 86s, with a few outliers (ranging from 78 to 96), and said "Alright, at least I'm consistent. Let's go."; problem was, I decided to do it on a Friday and the testing center didn't open until Monday morning. With regard to test prep consistency, the same is happening with the IGI (see above).

yellowD posted:

I studied the hell out of the book to really understand the concepts and be able to make good decisions. I resent the hell out of questions like "Which FAA circular deals with airmen? 10, 30, 40?"

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

NTSB Part 830. "What is the actual definition of an airport?".

PT6A posted:

That actually bodes quite well for you, and if that’s your weakest spot then plugging away at practice exams will work.

Try coming up with patterns, mnemonics, anything to help you memorize those stupid numbers.

yellowD posted:

"part 43 is me" - allows me to do preventative maintenance. sigh.

One of the IGI questions which would take a fuckton of time to actually do on the test has an answer of "350 feet". I'm remembering it as "Tree Fitty" from South Park.

Another whiz wheel question has an answer of like 18.8NM/28 minutes or something like that; both have eights in them.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 8, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wait, they actually give you the list of possible questions word-for-word?

That, uh, changes things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Shepard air is amazing

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

e.pilot posted:

Shepard air is amazing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oh poo poo, realizing I only need a 70 to pass. I'm routinely getting ~85% so maybe time for some YOLO

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/i/status/1214756252749877250

So was this 737 shot out of the sky or did it legit crash for some other reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Unless the center fuel tank exploded, I'm going with shot out of the sky...