Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Large format weighs less than medium format

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Wild EEPROM posted:

Large format weighs less than medium format
Cameras and lenses, sure, depending on the kit. I can’t really argue that LF can be more inconvenient, though. My Chamonix weighs about the same as my Hassy with lens attached, and the Hassy has the benefit of being able to hold 12 shots when loaded. There’s more commitment to shooting 4x5 just in terms of loading film holders beforehand and carrying them with you, as opposed to throwing a few rolls of film in a bag and changing rolls in broad daylight.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is kinda neat:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2...NbQYEglaLYg_4Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNEu4IKDLY

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I just stumbled onto a Mamiya C200 for free, with a honkin 180mm lens. Looks like I'll need to replace the light seals, and I still need to check the bellows. Anything in particular I should know about it?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I just stumbled onto a Mamiya C200 for free, with a honkin 180mm lens. Looks like I'll need to replace the light seals, and I still need to check the bellows. Anything in particular I should know about it?

Parallax :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Still waiting on the film holder for my scanner, but the first roll of 120 film came out ok, I think.
Quick scan on the bed of the scanner..will do properly once the film holder arrives!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 24, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Took both my Bronica and Intrepid to a kendo event. (Promotional exam).
Knew that the 4x5 would be hard, but it was worth the try.

4x5

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Getting a bonus at work, and thinking of using it to get into large format, specifically 4x5, primarily for landscape pictures while hiking. What's a good tripod that will be sturdy enough for the format, while also not being huge or super heavy? I'd like it to be more on the affordable side of things, but I also know that tripods are worth splurging on.

Are the mefoto globetrotter / backpacker tripods sturdy enough for 4x5?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 11, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yes, cyberpunk goose uses a mefoto tripod with his chamonix 4x5 and it seems to work out fine.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
manfrotto 190xpro4 with a Manfrotto 460MG head is an awesome lightweight compact tripod combo that will hold most if not all folding 4x5s very well.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 14, 2019

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sick

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

manfrotto 190xpro4 with a Manfrotto 460MG head is an awesome lightweight compact tripod combo that will hold most if not all folding 4x5s very well.

This looks perfect, thanks! I'm assuming the carbon fiber is worth the extra price over aluminum? This'll be my first real tripod that wasn't just something I bought randomly off Craigslist.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

This looks perfect, thanks! I'm assuming the carbon fiber is worth the extra price over aluminum? This'll be my first real tripod that wasn't just something I bought randomly off Craigslist.

Absolutely - it makes it that much more likely you'll decide to bring it with you instead of leaving it at home because it's so heavy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Aluminium is garbage. CF is virtually bulletproof.

spend the little extra cash now rather than wasting it on cheap compact rubbish now only to eventually buy the good stuff later.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Aluminium is garbage. CF is virtually bulletproof.

spend the little extra cash now rather than wasting it on cheap compact rubbish now only to eventually buy the good stuff later.

I thought for a sec I was in the mountain bike thread and was about to respond v. rudely.

CF tripods are the coolest and I can't wait to get one.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's worth the extra for sure.

you're going to buy one eventually anyways so instead of wasting the money buying 5 more aluminum tripods before you get there, just spend the money right the first time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A manufacturer of tripods has a distribution center near me, they used to have “garage sales” to clear out their scratch-and-dent gear and my dad picked me up a DSLR sized tripod for like $20 and a big MF/LF sized tripod for $30, both CF.

Sadly I don’t think they’ve had another garage sale for a while now...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I bought my big honkin' CF tripod on Craigslist 10+ years ago. Nowadays I don't use it much - mostly my Hasselblad or my mirrorless if I'm trying some nighttime photography, but it was happy to support the 8x10 monorail I briefly owned, and my various 4x5 cameras back when I shot them.

Buying it was something I'll always remember; I was meeting the guy in a Best Buy parking lot and this huge lifted F250 pulls up. Down hops this 5'nothing dentist who probably never raised the centre column in anger.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 30, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm raising my centre column rn op

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm raising my centre column rn op

LOL!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Attempted to re-process an older image with the hopes that having more experience I could do a better job. I think the re-process is quite a bit better:

For reference the original attempt at processing was:

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 5, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any real difference between the scanning capacity of the Epson V700/750/800/850? Or quality?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there any real difference between the scanning capacity of the Epson V700/750/800/850? Or quality?

There's two main differences. The light source on the V8x0 is LED, which warms up faster and, I suspect, keeps its color consistency longer than the CCFL light source in the V7x0 (maybe only an issue after a decade and tens of thousands of scans, which is where I'm at with my V700). The other difference isn't the scanner itself but the film holders - the ones that come with the V8x0 are slightly more height-adjustable (5 built-in positions instead of 3), they have ANR plastic built in (which really isn't an advantage unless your film is super curvy), and hold less film for scanning at once (1 sheet 4x5 instead of 2, 1 strip 120 instead of 2, 24 35mm frames instead of 36). Fortunately, it seems the V7x0 holders work in the V8x0 scanners just fine.

Other than that, they seem to me to be exactly the same.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

About to pull the trigger on this tripod + head, but a quick question: the 3 section version is a fair bit cheaper on Amazon, is there a significant difference between the two? I know the 4 legged version is shorter but less stable (while also being slightly heavier). Is the lack of stability possibly a problem, or is it pretty much unnoticeable?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Im not sure man. I had the Xpro4 and I used it with a Chamonix 045f1 and a Toyo 45AII, the toyo is a.metal folding camera and very heavy compared to the Chamonix. I also used it with my Canon 5D mk2 and some heavy L series glass and it was fine. Cant comment on the xpro3. Follow your heart. I believe in u

Stability isnt a problem but because its so light heavy wind might be a concern. Just weight or hold it down.

I got that combo based on lots of hunting around on the LFF forums and there was very positive consensus towards that tripod/head combo

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 8, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Out with the Bronica again. Delta 3200

Obligatory dog picture

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mix of Portra 160, Provia and Velvia. Actually digging the Porta a fair bit, especially for taming really harsh light.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Are there any rebadges of the Angulon 90/6.8 from caltar or any of the other in-house brands?

Any clones or other good compact/small lenses (not a wide plasmat) around that length other than the Wide Field Ektar and the Wide Angle Congo?

edit: I think the Wide Angle Raptar/Optar may be a rebadge or clone...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 16, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Saw on ebay that Alpenhause now does an Instax Wide conversion for the polaroid bodies (with custom lenses if you like).

Would it be a terrible idea to get one of those? (Apart from the dude himself being a weirdo of the highest order)

It looks like Instax Wide is running about $0.90 per shot right now. Fuji seems to be solidly behind integral film for the moment, they were still launching new cameras for that as of last year, and it's real popular with the instagram hipster crowd (from 100k cameras per year in 2004 to 5m in 2018...). It's not quite the same aspect ratio as the 3x4 packfilm but it's about the same diagonal.
  • instax wide: 99x62mm = 117mm diagonal
  • 3x4 packfilm: 2 7/8" x 3 3/4"m = 119mm diagonal
  • 2x3/6x9 format: 58x88mm = 105mm diagonal
That gives some interesting possibilities for playing with 2x3 lenses... 100-105mm would be like a 37-40mm equivalent lens (or perhaps a little wider appearing given the aspect ratio). Planar or Heliar type 105mm should just about cover, although it would be real tight wide open (planar covers 119mm, Heliar covers 117mm). Wide Field Ektar 100/6.3 would be shooting out of its center sweet spot. Or the boring option and go Nikkor-W 105/5.6, which covers 122mm wide open. On the longer side you can supposedly fit the 135/3.5 Planar, and a Heliar is still pretty small as well and would have better coverage in that length. Not sure if you could stuff a bigger 135mm plasmat onto it though.

(there is the Angulon 90/6.8 too but it has a reputation for variability and if you're dropping all that cash on a custom conversion you might as well shell out for the WF Ektar... also extreme comedy option dagor or Rapid Rectilinear)

OK, maybe not from Alpenhause, he's kinda nuts, but I'm coming up with a couple more companies that claim to do conversion as well...

edit: 105mm heliar on instax wide would be like 135mm on 9x12, or maybe a touch better coverage, which is a config on some of Voigtlander's cameras, so rough wide open but doable. And I'm sure fine for 1:1 enlargement.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 16, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012