Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Monster knowledge would be useful for certain enemies.

It's just that you get it so late you already saw what makes them special and dangerous and likely already died to it.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

madjackmcmad posted:

This relates to the big question I had for the thread which is:

Did anyone make dope roguelike poo poo over the holiday break?
Winter break and spring break are the most fertile soil for roguelike development, it's just the truth. I love seeing what pops out of people's minds after these periods.

You might have seen it in your Discord already - I worked a bunch on map generation for Escape from Aeon.
Well I kind of started in early December with the goal of converting the existing system from a huge mess into a whole bunch of small messes ECS thing.
So not that I was adding much new stuff, but definitely improved the maintainability and stability of the thing - and most importantly, enjoyed the process and am happy with how it turned out.

A sample outcome that I liked quite a bit:

Something visible here that I did add - there's now a option for "Force Exit to be locked", which means that as one of the last steps in the map generation, we pick a random room to branch a corridor + room from, then lock the door leading to the newly spawned room and spawn a keycard somewhere in the level.

Now back to some UI work, like making this ammo indicator use small dots instead of just numbers (perhaps they'll be more bullet-like one day?)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm willing to put up or shut up. If you'll point me to a visual novel, preferably on Steam, that you think is good and isn't anime jerk off material and I'll buy it and check it out.

edit: and if you don't want to then I'll just shut up cuz I feel bad about derailing the roguelike thread

there are good VNs that aren't about sex. (doki doki literature club comes to mind but that is a different kind of hosed)

don't rely on cliché's
don't be a prude. you exist because someone nutted in your momma.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I still wish i could get into the new tiles version but my old starts I'm not sure work and idk really anything about the new content. I haven't really found anything similar to the old unofficial guide that basically talked about everything.

grond has basically singlehandedly turned the adom wiki into the most up-to-date and complete resource for adom, so you probably just use that. the old improved guidebook got sorta vaguely updated for 1.2.0 but idk if it's got any of the 3.0.0 poo poo or whatever patch the giant rolf/volcano poo poo was numbered as

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

AkumaHokoru posted:

don't be a prude. you exist because someone nutted in your momma.

it was me

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

that said my favorite genre of bullet hell is "regular old plane and tank game but they flash cool anime character art between stages" like the GOAT dodonpachi daioujou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HW7qt67h3Y

Have you played ZeroRanger?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/809020/ZeroRanger/

The rest of you should also play this because it's really loving good :colbert:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Has anyone tried Shortest Trip to Earth? I saw it on sale at GoG and picked it up on a whim but haven't dug into it yet.

Edit: having played for all of 10 minutes it looks like someone decided to make a version of FTL that avoided all the major concerns of FTL. At least up front it appears to have dropped the energy shifting, added a bunch of convienient quick select for crew (send the person with the highest gun skill who isn’t already doing something else to man the strongest working unmanned gun by clicking the plus button next to guns in the menu). It’s still RTwP and I haven’t played enough to really get a feel for how it’s different, but I’m intrigued enough to find out.

Also sensors are actually for scanning things on the system map and map movement is real time.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 4, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I rebought Dungeon of the Endless in the steam sale because I only owned it on iOS before and that version missed a lot of updates. It's such a cool game and weird genre hybrid but it still suffers from having a lot of solvable strategies. While you're figuring them out it's a lot of fun but once you deduce the best way to play the game it becomes repetitive and a lot of things that felt like choices before don't really feel like choices anymore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

goferchan posted:

I rebought Dungeon of the Endless in the steam sale because I only owned it on iOS before and that version missed a lot of updates. It's such a cool game and weird genre hybrid but it still suffers from having a lot of solvable strategies. While you're figuring them out it's a lot of fun but once you deduce the best way to play the game it becomes repetitive and a lot of things that felt like choices before don't really feel like choices anymore.

I would kill for a sequel, but they're probably going to make Endless Space 3 / Legend 2 in an endless procession of good 4X games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would kill for a sequel, but they're probably going to make Endless Space 3 / Legend 2 in an endless procession of good 4X games.

They actually have a Civ like coming out soon, supposed to be like Legend but set in a normal historical earth

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

_jink posted:

article idea: on how "overtuned" has become the new word for difficult, because it means the same thing, but places the blame on the developers rather then impugning ones gaming credentials >:]
I certainly didn't mean it was the developers' fault, it can't really be for that sort of challenge when the game just isn't designed to be played without pause.

e:

why are crawl players so dramatic

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 4, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

e:

because the devs insist on continuously removing things that people like with poorly rationalized justifications and homogenizing every god into this undifferentiated mass of identical playstyles, and respond to player complaints with an aura of detached smugness

this is a game that some people have been playing for actual decades which is now, in their eyes, in the hands of people who are actively gutting everything that they like about it. Like the devs heard the story of Stone Soup and what they took away from it was "all those vegetables and spices are really detracting from the flavour of the stone", and that is the policy that they have implemented. People react to this with either "eh, what they're doing isn't that bad and is made up for by the QOL improvements" or "I don't like it but it hasn't really impacted the way I play". Then the devs kill one of their preferred playstyles, so they make an angry internet post and go off to find a fork where their playstyle isn't gutted. I experienced the cycle myself. Years of "wow I don't like what they're doing, but they're doing it to classes I don't play". Then they gutted my literal favourite spell in the game, and the class it was the flagship of, and it was off to type a couple of angry paragraphs in this thread and then go play a fork.

It really is an absolutely awful way to develop a game and I'm very happy that there are at least some new forks out there.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Why does this forum not have a Like button

Edit: That was before I even noticed your forum handle. Well played sir

megane
Jun 20, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Thanks for demonstrating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone else turn off/never buy any weapons in Monolith? I ended up turning off Swords, all of them save a couple uniques are too much risk for too little reward, it seems

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

megane posted:

Thanks for demonstrating

No problem, demonstrating was my intention.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
nah I get it, bad devs are real and real bad. I say this as a liker of cataclysm.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

No problem, demonstrating was my intention.

Counter owned lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What did they even remove this time? If anything?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

SKULL.GIF posted:

What did they even remove this time? If anything?

They replaced a bunch of spells with a bunch of more interesting-looking spells, so maybe one of the ones they ripped out (RIP throw frost). I'd check but they deleted their posts and account it seems.

They're also complaining about the complete Fedhas overhaul from 0.24, which I haven't tried but looks like it makes the god a lot less micromanagey in terms of turning corpses to plants and then spending food to evolve plants, instead letting you use piety to summon plants directly (seems like a good change IMO).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GetDunked posted:

They're also complaining about the complete Fedhas overhaul from 0.24, which I haven't tried but looks like it makes the god a lot less micromanagey in terms of turning corpses to plants and then spending food to evolve plants, instead letting you use piety to summon plants directly (seems like a good change IMO).

it's almost certainly this because it's another god that has been turned into "get piety exclusively from killing things, spend piety on all abilities", which is what I mean by "homogenizing all the various gods". Every god that has a unique mechanic for gaining piety is being changed to "get piety from kills or passively as you explore" and every god that has a unique mechanic for using abilities is becoming "spend piety on abilities".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oh, and they've apparently removed just about every bolt spell in the game, and a big chunk of the level 1/2 ranged spells, and replaced them with what appear to mostly be finicky untargeted things. This appears to be part of some misguided attempt to turn some of the casters into melee-casters or close range AOE casters in order to differentiate them, now that they've removed most of what previously differentiated them. This isn't inherently a bad idea(the fact that they had gone out of their way to kill everything that made most of the different spell schools interesting and unique was just about the thing I hated the most), but the problem is that rather than introducing new and interesting spell effects or reimplementing better-coded versions of the spells they killed, they have instead decided to kill all of the bread and butter low level spells and replace them with things that are basically the same except untargetable and worse.

edit: and digging into the changelog they also ruined vampires at some point by removing the entire blood-state system, but that's buried in the changelog instead of being on the website. That's cool. Wow, they got Sif Muna with the boring god stick, too, I didn't expect that one. Blowguns are gone, too, I liked those, half the needle types also got axed and the rest are just throwing weapons now. That's honestly all a real goddamn shame and I need to remind myself not to read the crawl changelog because it only depresses me.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
cock hero flux i agree with you about most of this but lmao at the idea that Sif Muna was ever not hit with the boring god stick

e: i probably got like 3/4s of my wins with Sif but mostly because they were basically "sign up and then completely ignore the piety system for the rest of the game while getting a few basic QoL functions + extra loot in exchange"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 4, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

cock flux hero i agree with you about most of this but lmao at the idea that Sif Muna was ever not hit with the boring god stick

that's what I meant: I didn't expect her to get hit because she was already so boring. Her incredible lack of any interesting mechanics seemed to be perfectly in-line with all of the gods who had been struck already. Unfortunately it seems as though they decided to come around for another pass because her piety mechanic wasn't quite dull enough.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GetDunked posted:

They replaced a bunch of spells with a bunch of more interesting-looking spells, so maybe one of the ones they ripped out (RIP throw frost). I'd check but they deleted their posts and account it seems.

All of these changes look really good to me, including the Fedhas overhaul. The spell schools badly needed differentiation and this is a good start.

cock hero flux posted:

edit: and digging into the changelog they also ruined vampires at some point by removing the entire blood-state system, but that's buried in the changelog instead of being on the website. That's cool. Wow, they got Sif Muna with the boring god stick, too, I didn't expect that one. Blowguns are gone, too, I liked those, half the needle types also got axed and the rest are just throwing weapons now. That's honestly all a real goddamn shame and I need to remind myself not to read the crawl changelog because it only depresses me.

Blooded vampires were unbelievably fiddly and basically not ever worth bothering with.

I don't see what is really lost by removing an intermediary steps for using curare etc?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Five totally new spells and seven spells reworked to be more involved, and people are complaining about the removal of "Point at X and do Y-typed damage" and saying that it'll be the death of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

How does this exact complaint keep cropping up with every single content cycle? It's really remarkable.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Five totally new spells and seven spells reworked to be more involved, and people are complaining about the removal of "Point at X and do Y-typed damage" and saying that it'll be the death of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

How does this exact complaint keep cropping up with every single content cycle? It's really remarkable.

it will not be the death of DCSS because the death of DCSS is a long, drawn out and terribly sad affair and this is just one more asthmatic wheeze from its comatose body

as for the magic changes, let's take them in detail, shall we?

11 spells are removed. Gone, no longer exist. This includes what appear to be all of the bolt spells and most of the level 1/2 damage spells that you start out using as a caster. Now, let's see what replaces them:

Foxfire: Throw Flame but at a random target.

Starburst: Bolt of Fire but untargetable in an awkward AOE(compass directions).

Hailstorm: Throw Icicle but untargetable in an awkward AOE(a ring 2 spaces away from you).

Dazzling Flash: Dazzling Spray but untargetable and it doesn't do any damage.

IMB: the old spell was also called IMB but this one is, instead of a projectile, an untargetable AOE.

Eringya's Bog: I actually like this one, it causes you to leave a snail trail of swamp goo everywhere that does irresistible poison damage. Sounds cool.

2 things you might notice: firstly, 4/6 are untargetable AOEs centered on the player and foxfire might as well be, too. They are not interesting or unique(not that the bolt spells were, either, but having essentially the same spells but without the ability to aim them isn't what I would call an improvement). Secondly, 11 spells were removed and 6 were added, meaning we're down a net total of 5 spells.

As for making them more involved, sure, let's take a look at that:

Conjure Flame: now always conjures it on your position with a 1 turn delay instead of letting you aim it, which isn't more involved, it's less involved, because it's the same spell but instead of being able to cast it anywhere, you can only cast it on top of yourself.

Inner Flame: now also makes fire on top of things afflicted by it when they take damage. That's stronger but I would hardly call it more involved since it's just old Inner Flame and also some extra damage.

Searing Ray: is just old searing ray but with homing which honestly makes it much less involved since you no longer have to actually think about how you're going to make sure you get the most use out of it.

Corpse Rot: now creates the miasma around the player instead of on top of the corpse itself, meaning that it has now become an untargetable player-centred AOE(you may be noticing a pattern here).

BVC: is now a bolt spell instead of an AOE, which is just the reverse of what they've done to every other spell in this patch.

I'm really, really struggling to see the upside of doing all of this, since it mostly seems like they've removed a bunch of spells and replaced them with untargetable AOEs, which are not more interesting but are definitely more annoying to use.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This thread made me pick up Hades, and after playing it nonstop for two days, I've decided that homeboy who said it was bad can go get hosed lol

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone else turn off/never buy any weapons in Monolith? I ended up turning off Swords, all of them save a couple uniques are too much risk for too little reward, it seems

Nah, the bullet deflection ability of swords is really good, I just beat a major end boss I had never encountered before with a sword. First time I played Monolith I did turn off a bunch of weapons to give myself a smaller pool of what I thought were the "best" ones, but now that I'm replaying it with the DLC, I'm just leaving everything unlocked as I acquire it. Except for the modifiers that give bonus damage against certain enemy types. I think those are bad. Anyways Monolith is still really good, it's my favorite twinstick roguelite. I got the t-shirt.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cock hero flux posted:

vampires were god awful, nobody on planet earth liked managing thirst states.

as much as people bitch about the way dcss is changing, you can always go back and play the earlier versions of the game. no one's stopping you. (and also, the devs are literally doing all this work for free, it's not like you financed their work and have some of reason why they should listen to your game design ideals above their own.)

but, basically nobody is ever playing the older versions of crawl! no one is ever playing them online even they go all the way back to 0.13, nobody posts about playing them offline, nobody says or does anything with them except hold them up as some mythical ideal of how crawl used to be better and cooler than it is now that they've changed spells, changed piety to not involve pressing p over every corpse or item, etc. funny how that works. it's almost like old crawl is not actually as good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't the goon crawl community basically entirely abandon the main branch for their own some time ago? Or did that fade away.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

my ideal Crawl is still either 0.4 or 0.5 and i played them long after the game had been updated past that

i'd love a game with that era's mechanics and modern QoL features but i wasn't that bothered by QoL standards in old Crawl compared to e.g. Nethack or ADOM anyways :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Its been mentioned ad naseum, that the devs are still pushing a lot of QoL changes which everyone appreciates. Its just the other stuff that most people in this thread don't agree with; the phrase 'foo steps forward, foo steps back' has been uttered a lot. There's also the tendency for people to want to have the same communal experience as everybody else; I rabidly disagree with Deus Ex raising the Dragon's Tooth damage from 30 to 100, but I'm sure as gently caress not going to bother using my 1.00 install instead of whatever online bugfixed version exists.

I like MD's. But I like square LOS more.

edit: this isn't the DCSS thread! sorry! fwiw, yes Hades is awesome and that schmuck who said it sucks is unbelievable

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 5, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

but, basically nobody is ever playing the older versions of crawl! no one is ever playing them online even they go all the way back to 0.13, nobody posts about playing them offline, nobody says or does anything with them except hold them up as some mythical ideal of how crawl used to be better and cooler than it is now that they've changed spells, changed piety to not involve pressing p over every corpse or item, etc. funny how that works. it's almost like old crawl is not actually as good.

I actually do play an earlier version of crawl from before a specific change that I massively disliked, and know of several other people who do. We don't post about it online because there's not really a reason to or a place to do so, and everyone has their own version that they play because the last straw changes are different for everyone. I know a guy who won't play anything past .17, others stick to earlier ones, one guy only plays ringbranch. I personally am sticking to .22. It really all depends on when something that you personally liked gets hit. Obviously, QOL changes are always nice, but at some point they come at the cost of too many interesting, fun, or otherwise entertaining things getting cut for increasingly spurious reasons.

Of course, given its unchanging nature, I will probably eventually get bored playing .22, as many people before me have gotten bored playing .12 or .05 or .18. And then I will stop playing DCSS, as the others stopped playing before me. And people will say "nobody plays .xx anymore, which is objective proof that the current version is better than it", failing to understand that there really is only so long that you can play a single-player game like this in a time-locked, unchanging state before it fails to hold your attention. The true measure of whether updates are making a game better is not whether people keep playing the old version, but whether they keep playing at all. Ideally, you keep a game interesting by adding things to it that will keep people coming back to see what's new. DCSS is the only game I can think of where the devs typically remove more content than they add. It really is baffling and I will never understand it or the people who defend it as a strategy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anyways the reason i don't play Crawl any more isn't because old Crawl is bad, it's because ToME exists

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Its been mentioned ad naseum, that the devs are still pushing a lot of QoL changes which everyone appreciates. Its just the other stuff that most people in this thread don't agree with; the phrase 'foo steps forward, foo steps back' has been uttered a lot. There's also the tendency for people to want to have the same communal experience as everybody else; I rabidly disagree with Deus Ex raising the Dragon's Tooth damage from 30 to 100, but I'm sure as gently caress not going to bother using my 1.00 install instead of whatever online bugfixed version exists.

As someone who has literally never played Crawl but plays a bunch of Angband, I find it hilarious how the exact same kind of thing is happening in the Angband community. People are bitching about the gameplay changes the maintainer is making, but like the QoL changes. Like, half the point of taking a thankless job like maintainer is that you get to dick around with the gameplay. If you want someone to only do the QoL changes and leave the gameplay untouched, you'd better be prepared to pay them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like, half the point of taking a thankless job like maintainer is that you get to dick around with the gameplay. If you want someone to only do the QoL changes and leave the gameplay untouched, you'd better be prepared to pay them.

Despite literally having "Stone Soup" in its name, DCSS development has historically been very Ivory Tower like. Lots of volunteer coding has been outright rejected since someone on the "In clique" didn't like it. Forks exist for pretty much that reason alone, where QoL features are poached and less popular changes discarded; our very own thread has GoonCrawl, made and maintained by FloodKiller.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Silver Snail posted:

Nah, the bullet deflection ability of swords is really good, I just beat a major end boss I had never encountered before with a sword. First time I played Monolith I did turn off a bunch of weapons to give myself a smaller pool of what I thought were the "best" ones, but now that I'm replaying it with the DLC, I'm just leaving everything unlocked as I acquire it. Except for the modifiers that give bonus damage against certain enemy types. I think those are bad. Anyways Monolith is still really good, it's my favorite twinstick roguelite. I got the t-shirt.

That's a good idea actually, turning off the enemy type damage mods. I might do that and turn swords back on, see how it feels after that

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I'd just quickly like to plug Night Of The Full Moon (phone based deckbuilder gamelite) and thank the people talking about it a hundred pages back.

I got to Hard V with the free character and watched skippable boss-advertisements twice (they give you 2x gold but game is not built around needing the gold).
Played a lot at work because can instantly shift attention and react without needing to pause, not too involved either.
Bought the extra characters/content before xmas and each character has their own central conceit (magic, counterspells, timer-based prayers etc).
There isnt much/any AI, simply well designed enemy decks. Cute art style. Nice feeling of progression and power. Occasional monster that is a hard-counter to your lame deck design choices.
I never thought I'd buy a phone game, but was worth it for me. Especially because it felt like a clear transaction, DLC not micro-payments to avoid tedium.
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

monolith is one of those games where i'd much rather leave all the weapons on and just have fun with the differences, because it's tough but it's also not horseshit and the variety is nice. the +damage to enemy type mods are definitely something that can be safely turned off, imo, though.