Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

I can't read japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

some japanese popstar I think. i recall the girls in the aol chatrooms were all over his dick 20 years ago

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L9ufe4TMaY

He's one of the vocalists from a good 90s J-Rock band.

Then he went on to be a super solo star or whatever.

But seriously he made good music there, too.

https://twitter.com/chaoticreckless/status/1211945728932794368?s=20

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

A J-pop star who was the basis for Crisis Core's Genesis, he even voices the guy in Japanese I think.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TommyGun85 posted:

what's a Gackt?

A Japanese male realdoll given life. A human uncanny valley.

On a more helpful note: Gackt was a singer that rose to fame during the Visual Kei movement as the singer of Malice Mizer. You might have heard of the guitarrista Mana, he's a fashion designer who founded that band and I'm 99% sure that he coined the subgenre of Gothic Lolita fashion, which he calls EGL/Elegant Gothic Lolita. So everyone from Malice Mizer wears a mix of strange antique clothes that are some strange mix of gothic, victorian and uh did I mention crosses?

Nomura is a huge fan of Gackt and Visual Kei. Squall and Edea are essentially cosplays of Gackt and Mana. He eventually managed to make a Gackt-insert into the FF7-Canon called Genesis, or G for short, a character which Gackt has an IRL attire of and was modeled after Gackt and also voice-acted by Gackt. And also, eventually, prohibited by Gackt for Square-Enix to use, God bless.

Here's a goofy rear end video with Gackt dressed as uhh a mix of Squall and Edea, speaking of the devils:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcID6Vcqkf0

It should be immediately obvious where Nomura draws inspiration from outside of belts and zippers.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
In a crossover with their upcoming Avengers game, Gackt will be digitally replaced by one of the actual MCU actors and be the new Genesis in a future Crisis Core re-release.

That's right, Jeff Goldblum is the New Genesis.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In a crossover with their upcoming Avengers game, Gackt will be digitally replaced by one of the actual MCU actors and be the new Genesis in a future Crisis Core re-release.

That's right, Jeff Goldblum is the New Genesis.

You’re implying something is bad, but you instead stated a good thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Discussion > Games > Final Fantasy VII Remake - Huge Final Fantasy VII Fan Excited to Play It for the First Time

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gackt, like the FF7 EU, is garbage that shouldn't be acknowledged.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Goddammit Square just release the demo already you loving pieces of poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
gently caress

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
The Dirge of Cerberus LP is archived. Please don't let The Dark Id's suffering be in vain and check it out.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Terper posted:

Discussion > Games > Final Fantasy VII Remake - Huge Final Fantasy VII Fan Excited to Play It for the First Time

This is absolutely the case for pretty much everyone between 20-25 I know who is looking forward to this game.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Spermando posted:

This is absolutely the case for pretty much everyone between 20-25 I know who are looking forward to this game.

My best friend is 32 and a massive gamer, especially classic games, and has never played VII. He knows the characters and basic story through cultural osmosis. He always talks like he’s played it, though.

“I’m just gonna wait until the remake” has been his excuse since the first rumors during the PS2 era.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played Final Fantasy VII with my friend who had a PS1 (I had the N64) over a series of weekends where I'd sleep over his house and we'd go through the story together. He would also play a little on his own and then call my house phone every night to recap the story from where we left off. It was a different time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Everyone should just play or replay FFVII with the New Threat Mod.

https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0

Best version of the game in terms of gameplay.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, after hearing a bit more details about those weirdo Dementors in the remake, I have a theory.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is both a remake of the original game and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus meant to finish out the compilation. Genesis and Weiss from DoC's secret ending are going to get up to some time-fuckery and mess with the canon events of the game, trying to bring about a better future. Or some stupid poo poo like that.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

So, after hearing a bit more details about those weirdo Dementors in the remake, I have a theory.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake is both a remake of the original game and a sequel to Dirge of Cerberus meant to finish out the compilation. Genesis and Weiss from DoC's secret ending are going to get up to some time-fuckery and mess with the canon events of the game, trying to bring about a better future. Or some stupid poo poo like that.

So they’re remaking history?????

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I didn't fully believe that theory until you said that.

Now I'm almost positive that's what's going to happen. :negative:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That sounds horribly misguided and will only serve to alienate fans of the original and confuse new players unnecessarily.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I refuse to believe anyone remembers Dirge of Cerberus, much less feels the need to tie it in to the overall FF7 plot.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eraflure posted:

I refuse to believe anyone remembers Dirge of Cerberus, much less feels the need to tie it in to the overall FF7 plot.

You'll be awful disappointed by the surprise boss encounter with Verde the green riding a raptor with Genesis's hair then!

I actually do wander if they'll bother to explain what if anything happened to Zacks other friends from CC but I kinda doubt it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eraflure posted:

I thought the same until Shelke was in World of Final Fantasy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If SE had any sense they'd treat DoC like SEGA treats Sonic 06, by pretending it doesn't exist and just saying "oh yeah haha whoops" whenever they can't avoid talking about it. This is also how the cast of FF7 should treat Vincent in the remake

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So now I see I was optimistic when I thought those ghosts could just possibly be enemies from the train graveyard...

On the positive side Hojo’s model and all the Shinra exec models are perfect. Can’t wait to see Hojo reclining on the beach in Costa Del Sol, but that’s game 2 stuff

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

If SE had any sense they'd treat DoC the entire EU like SEGA treats Sonic 06, by pretending it doesn't exist and just saying "oh yeah haha whoops" whenever they can't avoid talking about it. This is also how the cast of FF7 should treat Vincent, Red XIII, and Cait Sith in the remake

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

You know, I didn't fully believe that theory until you said that.

Now I'm almost positive that's what's going to happen. :negative:

It's gonna be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zr_C74DQU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

NikkolasKing posted:

Where's Iscar Matthias?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm just now hearing about the leaks and the stuff they are doing and... I dunno, maybe it could be interesting? I had such low expectations of the remake in the first place, and they keep blowing me away with the stuff they have showed that is like the original game. Maybe this new thing will be cool.

Or it could be terrible. :shrug:. I'm not really ready to write off the new stuff yet.

I haven't seen the actual footage though, I've only read text about stuff

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I was always certain this game wasn't going to be a complete disaster but imo as exciting as the leaks were and as cool as some of this poo poo like what is likely Cloud's seduction training at the Honey Bee Inn up there is, this is still a Square-Enix game not directed by Naoki Yoshida

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

If SE had any sense they'd treat DoC like SEGA treats Sonic 06, by pretending it doesn't exist and just saying "oh yeah haha whoops" whenever they can't avoid talking about it. This is also how the cast of FF7 should treat Vincent in the remake

Sega literally put a Sonic 06 level in Sonic Generations and Silver is a constant reoccurring character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The list of bosses in the game leaked.

Hell House is a boss lmao. So is Seph, JENOVA PULSE, and...the Watchmen of Fate?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They outright said Motor Ball wasn't going to be the final boss of FF7R ep1 but still, replacing it with Sephiroth is loving stupid.

I read a steady diet of FFVII fanfic for about a year or two before I actually got the opportunity to play the game fwiw. It was still really good although the visual presentation looked like janky poo poo even at the time.

(this was in uh, 1999? 2000? somewhere around that time)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i hope that the fate ghost cops just turn out to be bored ghosts rping or smth cause they can't go to the lifestream :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Caidin posted:

You'll be awful disappointed by the surprise boss encounter with Verde the green riding a raptor with Genesis's hair then!

I actually do wander if they'll bother to explain what if anything happened to Zacks other friends from CC but I kinda doubt it.

Maybe we'll kill Kunsel in the remake. :unsmigghh:

Chillgamesh posted:

But Sonic 2006 was in Sonic Generations, a game celebrating Sonic's history!

Has there ever been a game about Time Police in this series? Seems like a thing that would fit in well.

Oh yeah, the XIII sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It will turn out to be Wilhelm from Xenosaga, in a surprise Square/Namco crossover twist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

It will turn out to be Wilhelm from Xenosaga, in a surprise Square/Namco crossover twist.

Paging poster U-DO Burger to the thread.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

But Sonic 2006 was in Sonic Generations, a game celebrating Sonic's history!

If you can put out sonic 2006 and somehow still have a franchise that I think is worth celebrating.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Caidin posted:

If you can put out sonic 2006 and somehow still have a franchise that I think is worth celebrating.

It's fine, the game deletes its own plot anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't mind it, I think it's nice that it revamps it as compared to just "multiplies enemy HP by 3 and nerfs all materia" like some kind of dumb hard mode mod, but some of the bosses got tiring. They made some bosses have a specific strategy to kill and just mashing attack or using your strongest magic doesn't work which is really annoying. Some of the boss fights also took well over 5 minutes which is where I start to lose interest. I'm not talking "10 minutes of interesting strategy", more like "repeat the same rotation of attacks for 10 minutes straight"