Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Give Lorenz back his relic this instant. He needs the help more than Lysithia does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lorenz won't be good even with the relic so why bother

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like to give Dorothea the Light Dragon Sign and the Cadeceus Staff for maximum Meteor

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Give Lorenz back his relic this instant. He needs the help more than Lysithia does.
In my runs, the help he needs is for him to actually decide whether he wants to go down paladin or mage/dark mage. He literally wants to be a jack-of-all-stats when his growths are clearly not cut out for that job. Oh, and the most important issue that has caused me to bench him: GET SOME loving SPEED, YA DINGUS!

Ignatz is in a similar situation, but I think the problem there is that I've used some combination of Claude/Bernie/Ashe/Leonie for primary bow user duty, and all have been fine and thus make poor Ignatz superfluous. I guess I'll try Ignatz the Assassin for my third run, maybe that'll be the change he needs to stand out more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

I've used some combination of Claude/Bernie/Ashe/Leonie for primary bow user duty, and all have been fine and thus make poor Ignatz superfluous.

Ignatz is doing fine in my game, I'm angling him to go bow knight down the line even though he doesn't have a strength in riding - Bernie was a mainstay of my Azure Moon game, so she's on adjutant duty this time. He's doing fine, nothing exceptional but I'm finding him to be a consistent and useful member of the team like Ashe in my previous run.

Leonie, I'm getting good results with as a thief (I'm sorry, I just can't live without someone on the team having Locktouch) and to eventually go assassin.

Edit: And someone wondered why I don't like Lorenz when his C and B supports are both "STOP SEXUALLY HARASSING PEOPLE LORENZ!" "But you don't understand! I have obligations as a noble!"

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 5, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The trick is that Ignatz is actually your healer in Golden Deer while Marianne is another offensive spell caster.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Cythereal posted:

(I'm sorry, I just can't live without someone on the team having Locktouch)
if you just buy a bunch of door and chest keys and put them in your stash, byleth will essentially have locktouch

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

The trick is that Ignatz is actually your healer in Golden Deer while Marianne is another offensive spell caster.

Yeah, Marianne especially is a rock star when it comes to black magic. She really fits the Dark Knight aesthetic too.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Marianne is also a great dancer, since she is a versatile caster and has a sword aptitude, plus a riding aptitude to get her to +1 move slightly faster. I'm playing on Maddening with Lysethia and Mercedes as my offensive and defensive casters, and I was really impressed with how Marianne performed. I put her in dancer just to keep fielding her, and she is definitely better as a dark knight or gremory, but I think she is the most powerful dancer I've had. Well, not counting the time I made Felix a dancer just to give him access to Sword Avoid +20, since he never actually spent time in the class.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Lysie is your "Put heads in pikes" mage, while Marianne is your secret sauce/weapon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eimi posted:

I can also vouch for Marianne's incredible offensive utility. I'm currently having her run in Mortal Savant, and she fits it very well. Even if my choice to have everyone in their monastery outfits leads to accidentally hilarity because the default crouching "spell equipped" pose for Mortal Savant really does not gel with Marianne's long flowing dress. Oh and any staff she has equipped just floats over her right hip and is not properly attached to her waist. That's also hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You learn quickly in Maddening that Linhardt, Mercedes, and Marianne exist to tank the poo poo out of those mages in chapter 4.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Carlosologist posted:

I like to give Dorothea the Light Dragon Sign and the Cadeceus Staff for maximum Meteor

I gave lorenz's staff to hanneman a couple times. There was something hilarious about his danger zone being 90% of any given map.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Tae posted:

You learn quickly in Maddening that Linhardt, Mercedes, and Marianne exist to tank the poo poo out of those mages in chapter 4.

I'm at chapter 15 in Azure Moon Maddening, and sweet lord my Mercedes puts Lysithea to shame. She's sitting at a hearty level 45 because there's more exp in Physic every turn then there is in any amount of killing in maddening. The rest of my team is around level 30-36. White magic range +1 and Caduceus staff is basically Thyrsus for Nosferatu

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you have been visited by the Flayn Fish

You will have good luck in the coming year! Say "thank you, Flayn Fish!"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

thank you, Flayn Fish

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just started playing this and it seems like there's quite a bit of flexibility in terms of leveling your characters and squad compositions and whatnot. The problem for me is that I'm not exactly sure what I'm leveling towards, and there's a lot of stats and substats being thrown around.

Im not looking for a walkthrough that tells me optimal character builds but is there a good primer I can read just so I know combat mechanics and classes and stuff, so I feel like I know what I'm doing with my lesson plans and I have an idea of who would be good to recruit, etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just started playing this and it seems like there's quite a bit of flexibility in terms of leveling your characters and squad compositions and whatnot. The problem for me is that I'm not exactly sure what I'm leveling towards, and there's a lot of stats and substats being thrown around.

Im not looking for a walkthrough that tells me optimal character builds but is there a good primer I can read just so I know combat mechanics and classes and stuff, so I feel like I know what I'm doing with my lesson plans and I have an idea of who would be good to recruit, etc.

Push comes to shove each character has prefer goals they can't go wrong with. You can recruit everyone except house leaders, Dedue and Hubert. Like with no weapon triangle there's less "what you need" and more what you want.

That said. Fliers are very strong. Lysithea is a very strong mage. A dancer is "Your best unit x2" basically.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When you select what you're gonna do each week, you can choose Certifications. These will allow you to look at upcoming classes your characters can become and what skills you need to level up to be able to become that class. If you want to, take some time to sit down and look through your students, what they're bad and good at and what they CAN become good at with some extra help (the three empty stars), and make up a plan. Let's say you want to make someone ride a horse. You'll note that to become a Cavalier, a character should have skills in Riding and Lances - so you make that character train in those.

If you want some general tips for whatever characters you have then that depends on what house you're in. I personally wouldn't recommend worrying too much about recruiting other students - if you find someone you like and say "Yeah I'd give you a slot in a map" then go for it, but that's all.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 5, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cool, I will check the certifications out. Maybe that will help me with some of the questions I had like, if there isn't a weapon triangle then what is the on-the-ground difference for different weapon use? This is also my first FE game. Are facing and flanking not things, and with all these adjacency bonuses does that mean the best tactic is to creep across the map in one solid blob?

I'm playing Golden Deer

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Take note of gambits, especially some of the non-damaging ones: Stride lets the units affected move much farther, and lasts the entire turn, meaning there’s nothing stopping you from using it on your main physical damage dealer, your dancer and Lysithea at the same time, then have Warmaster Felix move, get danced then warped, then have him attack the boss and win. As GD, Wyvern Lord Hilda can win almost all “kill the boss” missions instantly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cool, I will check the certifications out. Maybe that will help me with some of the questions I had like, if there isn't a weapon triangle then what is the on-the-ground difference for different weapon use? This is also my first FE game. Are facing and flanking not things, and with all these adjacency bonuses does that mean the best tactic is to creep across the map in one solid blob?

I'm playing Golden Deer
There's no general difference between weapon types for most of the game, but you get abilities in certain classes that just say "you do more damage with this weapon", but this game is not nearly difficult enough on Normal or Hard for that to really be something to care about. Do you want to make an Assassin Who Punches? Go the heck right ahead. There are no facing mechanics ala FFT no. And generally, although that depends on the map and the objectives and how efficient you want to be/how much time you want to waste. Take risks, you get a lot of nvm with the Divine Pulse.

And as far as Golden Deer go, Raphael, Leonie, Hilda and Claude prefer physical classes, Marianne and Lysithea magical, and Ignatz and Lorenz are fine with either - either choose yourself or let their stat increases dictate the direction you want them to take. But if you really want some kooky poo poo then Hilda is one of the two characters in the entire game who learns the Bolting spell if you level up Reason enough and is good for a laugh.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DC Murderverse posted:

you have been visited by the Flayn Fish

You will have good luck in the coming year! Say "thank you, Flayn Fish!"

thank you, Flayn Fish!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

thank you, Flayn Fish!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

thank you, Flayn Fish!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you, Flayn Fish!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of Flayn, in my Verdant Wind game she just got a nigh-unheard of melee kill on a demonic beast. That... was not what I was expecting to happen when my finger slipped.

Someday I'm going to actually run her as a key member of the party. Perhaps my dancer for Silver Snow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Flayn is cool and good and should be in every party that can use her.

If nothing else, she basically exists as a free option for a dancer if everyone else got charm screwed or you already planned their classes out and don't want to change.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Flayn is one of two casters in the entire game that gets Fortify, which arguably justifies using her all by itself. She also gets Rescue which can be combined with Warp (which Lysithea can learn) and a Stride battalion to completely break maps over your knee, if you choose to.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have a lot of difficulty using Flayn, and I'm holding out for the flier class that can use magic for her. Although I actually think the unit that wants it the most is Marianne, I've been wanting to put her on a pegasus without losing her spells since my first run of GD.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/flying_frappe/status/1213651407452037121

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I used Holy Pink Knight Flayn with great success on the throneroom map in Golden Deer to stop a certain someone from suiciding against a dozen mages. It's kind of hilarious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, how required is the DLC for this game? Radical changes/additions? Story stuff?

I am actually kind of incensed that petting animals is part of paid DLC

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nothing's been added other than costumes and Anna, for the most part. The free stuff was increasing the saves from 5 to 25 and black eagles got another playable character.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, how required is the DLC for this game? Radical changes/additions? Story stuff?

I am actually kind of incensed that petting animals is part of paid DLC

none of it is required now. it's mostly been piecemeal costumes. one extra character with no support conversations so most people hate her.

there have been cool free updates you already have.

there's supposed to be a big side-story expansion that's the "real" DLC in the spring. To my knowledge, it hasn't been confirmed if you will play through it using an existing save or start from a new save or what.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it sounds like the awakening dlc to me. would be nice to be wrong on that but I have really low expectations from fire emblem dlc

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The dlc is looking real bad. Don't get it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
you can't stop me from buying the DLC and feeding the cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Early on with my activity points should I prioritize my own proficiencies or building support?

I have gotten the sense that I should get everyone to level 5 asap so they can get a class. Now that I see that this game does the FFT thing of "class determines stat growth when you level" I am doing my best not to get analysis paralysis and completely stopping just to optimize stats