Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Uh I think you misunderstood me. It makes perfect sense. It's a wonderful part of the movie and it makes it much stronger. Even the member of the family who was least terrible to Marta ultimately didn't take her seriously enough and trust her. Benoit Blanc is the only one who trusts her: he notices the blood on her shoe from the very beginning but lets things play out because he doesn't think she's a murderer. Meanwhile, Harlan Thromby is too caught up in his own head (his obsession with murder mysteries - he's even writing down his own death as a potential plot point for a future book) and too excited by the idea of orchestrating one last mystery (proving how amazing he is and demonstrating that his plotting is what will save his nurse) to trust his nurse to do things right, when she could've handled things all on her own. The whole movie is everyone except Blanc trying to manipulate Marta into doing what they want her to do because they don't trust her judgment.

It's also amusing how the inciting incident is cooked up by Harlan, inadvertently. He literally plots his way to death when he could've left well enough alone, but as the movie points out, he loves this mystery bullshit too much. That's why he leaves the invisible ink note for his daughter, etc.

Not to mention that Harlan knew about the situation with Marta's mother, claimed it as the reason behind his whole elaborate plot, yet did absolutely nothing to help her with it while he was alive. The "money and resources" conversation Walt had with Marta when he confronts her at her home after the will is read put a pretty clear point on that.

Harlan truly seems to like Marta, yet doesn't lift a finger to help with a situation that's clearly an enormous burden on her and her family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Right. Even his act of charity is him using her as a tool against his family.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He didn't want money to gently caress up his relationship with her the same way it had hosed up his relationship with his own family. Money hosed up his relationship with his family, he says this with mouth words.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

He didn't want money to gently caress up his relationship with her the same way it had hosed up his relationship with his own family. Money hosed up his relationship with his family, he says this with mouth words.

Yeah... but at the same time he could have done it with out making a big deal of it. He's wealthy, popular and influential. As skilled a plotter as he was, Harlen could easily have made some kind of "help this woman get legal status and I'll help you with your political campaign" deal and just smiled with Marta came in one day looking much more cheerful and relieved.

Except that couldn't do that because he's a giant drama emperor who couldn't think of a way to do that in a big dramatic fashion that also didn't risk ruining his relationship with Marta with money.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Saw the movie today, loved it.

Decided to check out the Struggle Session episode on it, and it'S hilarious how much Leslie twists his brain into pretzels to refuse engagin the movie on it's own merits. Kept wishing it was a different kind of movie the entire episode.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Uh I think you misunderstood me. It makes perfect sense. It's a wonderful part of the movie and it makes it much stronger. Even the member of the family who was least terrible to Marta ultimately didn't take her seriously enough and trust her.

I think this is wrong. Yes, if Harlan had called 911 he would still be alive. But he slit his own throat because he believed what Marta was telling him about morphine overdoses. Marta doesn't think calling 911 will save him, she's doing it because it's the only thing she can think of. Calling 911 requires Harlan to not take Marta's medical knowledge seriously.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Patrick Spens posted:

I think this is wrong. Yes, if Harlan had called 911 he would still be alive. But he slit his own throat because he believed what Marta was telling him about morphine overdoses. Marta doesn't think calling 911 will save him, she's doing it because it's the only thing she can think of. Calling 911 requires Harlan to not take Marta's medical knowledge seriously.
Yeah, that's right too. But in this case its her moral fortitude he doesn't trust. She wants to do the right thing and he wants to get one last mystery into his life because he's obsessed with crazy schemes. Meanwhile, Marta's idea of doing the right thing would've saved him in the first place, and it's Marta doing the right thing and saving the housekeeper which saves Marta later on.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, that's right too. But in this case its her moral fortitude he doesn't trust. She wants to do the right thing and he wants to get one last mystery into his life because he's obsessed with crazy schemes. Meanwhile, Marta's idea of doing the right thing would've saved him in the first place, and it's Marta doing the right thing and saving the housekeeper which saves Marta later on.

I think that needs to be put another way. It's more that Harlan doesn't want Marta's moral fortitude to screw up his scheme to have her inherit. At this point he and Marta believe she messed up somehow. If he dies from the morphine overdose, she's responsible for his death and she doesn't inherit. Also, her life gets ruined. So, Harlan, giant drama emperor that he is, decides to cover up her accident with a suicide. Still if he'd let her call 911, the ambulance would have, checked him out and he'd be okay. Then he and Marta would likely have figured out the the labels were switched.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure they made it clear that the ambulance wouldn't arrive to the house in time to save Harlan, and both of them fully believed he had overdosed on the morphine. It would have made significantly less sense for Harlan to just wait around and find out if he was dead.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Saw this last night and loved it. Does anyone else see a parallel between Real Knife/Stage Prop and the Morphine/Toradol? Harlan is observing that Random can't tell the difference between the deadly and non-deadly knife in parallel with Marta demonstrating she can pick the non-lethal vial from the lethal one by touch alone (although we don't discover that until the end). I know the trick knife stuff pays off in a different way at the climax, but I think it works on a figurative level as well

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 2, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What possible angle could a future movie have that has Benoit Blanc bumble around?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What possible angle could a future movie have that has Benoit Blanc bumble around?
I'm trying to picture a movie that couldn't feature Benoit Blanc bumbling around.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
The next Bond movie but it's just Benoit Blanc instead of Bond and it never gets commented on in any way, everyone just acts like benoit blanc has always been a spy in the employ of MI6.

bonus points: ana de armas is also still Marta. again, nobody acts like this is in any way unusual.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And the masturbating nazi child is the Prime Minister.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wife wanted to see this, so we checked it out last night. It was very enjoyable. I had some minor nitpicks such as the nurse simply knowing the viscosity of the drugs hand waving. Also bringing in current events really bugged me. We could have done without the racist diatribe from half the family. There are so many other ways they could have done this without reminding the audience how awfully racist Republicans are.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Philthy posted:

Wife wanted to see this, so we checked it out last night. It was very enjoyable. I had some minor nitpicks such as the nurse simply knowing the viscosity of the drugs hand waving. Also bringing in current events really bugged me. We could have done without the racist diatribe from half the family. There are so many other ways they could have done this without reminding the audience how awfully racist Republicans are.

One of the smaller points of the movie is how, despite all their differences, the family comes together to protect their money. Part of this is that while Richard is the one who says the bloodthirsty racist things, it's Meg and Walt who threaten Marta about her immigration status.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Philthy posted:

I think it worked well as it was done. The point of the racist stuff is to briefly fool the audience into thinking that there is good half of the family and a bad half. Except that when push comes to shove, they're all bad. They're all willing to use Marta's mother's immigration status to try to force her to give up the inheritance. It's interesting to note that the person who most respects Marta and is on her side is Benoit Blanc, the white male from the American South.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Philthy posted:

For what it's worth, I saw the film at a theater in Birmingham, AL with about 50 people in the audience (mostly under 40 if I had to guess) and that scene got a lot of laughs.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It's genuinely depressing seeing how much of the reception of this movie is "finally a new original movie that isn't a sequel or based on an existing IP. I hope they make a bunch of sequels!!1"

Philthy posted:

Also bringing in current events really bugged me.

This movie came out at the end of the third year of Trump's presidency, I know that everyone's brains and perception of time have been scrambled by it but unless it was a period piece it's not really a current event so much as a basic texture of American life. Especially after the holidays it's extremely relatable to have to interact with extended family members you hate who have brain poisoning from Fox News and Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who saw this movie participated in or witnessed an identical conversation with their own family this year only instead of gritting their teeth in the name of an inheritance they just put up with it because they're cowards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In my second viewing I noticed the publisher son has a wife that basically isn't even in the film. She doesn't say anything and even in the last big group shot she's hidden behind another character.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

Saw this last night and loved it. Does anyone else see a parallel between Real Knife/Stage Prop and the Morphine/Toradol? Harlan is observing that Random can't tell the difference between the deadly and non-deadly knife in parallel with Marta demonstrating she can pick the non-lethal vial from the lethal one by touch alone (although we don't discover that until the end). I know the trick knife stuff pays off in a different way at the climax, but I think it works on a figurative level as well

Oh poo poo, that's great.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Heavy_D posted:

I love this note too, thanks for pointing it out.

It kinda ties in to Blanc's claim that Marta came out on top because of her "good heart" -- unlike Harlan and Ransom, Marta "knows what's real". It manifests with those vials, with her reaction to lying, and with her ability to navigate the family's two-faced bickering. (The first one is more to do with her experience and competence as a nurse than having a good heart, but its result fits thematically.)

This might be me trying to hamhandedly cram a link between every theme, though.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

For me, the funniest part of the movie was just how much the trooper was enjoying Blanc's summing-up at the end, just completely geeking out.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

In my second viewing I noticed the publisher son has a wife that basically isn't even in the film. She doesn't say anything and even in the last big group shot she's hidden behind another character.

Apparently Riki Lindholm had a good scene that was cut out as per Johnson's director's commentary.

A sequel would definitely be interesting but so much of this movie is about Marta's story and having Blanc be almost an antagonist that I'm not sure how a sequel would play.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Make it a Columbo where we follow the villain who plays cat-and-mouse.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jack B Nimble posted:

I really didn't notice her. Until your post made me look it up, I just assumed that Toni Collette's character was the one married to Walt and that Meg was their child. I guess I need to watch the movie again when it's on BluRay/DVD/Netflix.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Make it a Columbo where we follow the villain who plays cat-and-mouse.

After watching him investigate a "murderer" we wanted to get away, it would be cool if the protagonist of the next movie was an rear end in a top hat we actually wanted to get caught. Don't know how that would work though.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I really really liked this movie, but people have already talked about why it's good at length, so these are just my favorite moments, personally:

Marta turning the family's refrain that "they'll take care of her" back onto Meg, apparently oblivious to the fact that Meg probably assumes she has the same intent as the family (ie. not).

Ransom's dad reacting to his arrest by running at the police with a money clip.

Marta weaponizing her vomit response against Ransom (intentionally or otherwise).

Obviously, the last scene. "My house my rules" motherfuckers

Edit: I forgot the doggos being good doggos

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tudabee posted:

I really really liked this movie, but people have already talked about why it's good at length, so these are just my favorite moments, personally:

Marta turning the family's refrain that "they'll take care of her" back onto Meg, apparently oblivious to the fact that Meg probably assumes she has the same intent as the family (ie. not).

Ransom's dad reacting to his arrest by running at the police with a money clip.

Marta weaponizing her vomit response against Ransom (intentionally or otherwise).

Obviously, the last scene. "My house my rules" motherfuckers

Edit: I forgot the doggos being good doggos

The Hyundai car chase was a thing of beautiful hilarity as well. Plus the bit with Blanc sitting in Marta's car listening to music oblivious to the ambulance pulling up behind him.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Leblanc: It's a novel.

Marta: Yeah, I know, but I haven't read it.

Leblanc: I haven't either. Nobody has.

That exchange was perfect comedic timing.

Edit: I wonder if there is a copy somewhere in the shots, and what other books there were in general. Looooot of bookshelves in that house

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 3, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I borrowed that book from the library and now I have to return it and I didn't even start it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same; I got a hundred fifty pages in after I was personally insulted by Leblanc and checked it out. I think lead has melted my old brain because every time I sit down to read it I can't track who's talking, and where, and what about, even within the same page.

The Bookbarn literature thread assures me that's working as intended but it bothers me. I have the audiobook and the narrator flows through the text in a way I never do so that's not a good sign. But I have the audiobook and, if I'm just going to let the prose slide by me, that'll do just as well without feeling like I'm torturing myself.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jack B Nimble posted:

Same; I got a hundred fifty pages in after I was personally insulted by Leblanc and checked it out. I think lead has melted my old brain because every time I sit down to read it I can't track who's talking, and where, and what about, even within the same page.

This is about as far as I got when I tried reading it as a pretentious teenager. I remember hearing most people give up at about page 50 so I think getting further makes us both genius intellectuals. That's got to be how it works.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Leblanc: It's a novel.

Marta: Yeah, I know, but I haven't read it.

Leblanc: I haven't either. Nobody has.

That exchange was perfect comedic timing.

Edit: I wonder if there is a copy somewhere in the shots, and what other books there were in general. Looooot of bookshelves in that house

He says he hasn't read it but immediately afterwards he explains what the title means so I think he's a liar!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's not exactly a difficult metaphor to figure out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's not exactly a difficult metaphor to figure out.

Definitely. But I want to believe...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This was a genuinely great movie. Lots of good fun, with characters that you enjoy hating and I didn't see that twist coming at the end. Effectively, this was a movie about somebody being framed for murder, without them knowing they were being framed and it was told from their perspective. What a great way to sell that twist at the end!

That being said, this thread has shown that people get whatever politics they want from their media. The alt-right Troll was as hateful of a character as the SJW. However, lots of people are joylessly wanking in the bathroom over the right-wing "hate" in this film.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

H13 posted:

That being said, this thread has shown that people get whatever politics they want from their media. The alt-right Troll was as hateful of a character as the SJW. However, lots of people are joylessly wanking in the bathroom over the right-wing "hate" in this film.

K.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The message is that rich people are soulless husks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values