Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I am trying to find a word for something but I think I might be too stupid to English. Do you know how sometimes people will draw a picture of something using flowers as pixels? Here are some flags for example:

These are not mine, but I would like to do something similar. It would be easier to explain to people if I knew the word for what I was planning. "Who wants to do some lithoscapy flower mosaics plant drawing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Parterre” isn’t the word you want, but it’s close.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I am trying to find a word for something but I think I might be too stupid to English. Do you know how sometimes people will draw a picture of something using flowers as pixels? Here are some flags for example:

These are not mine, but I would like to do something similar. It would be easier to explain to people if I knew the word for what I was planning. "Who wants to do some lithoscapy flower mosaics plant drawing?"

Carpet bedding is planting different colors close together to make patterns. I don't know if there's a more specific name for making pixel art out of it

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
GIS for "carpet bedding" returns pretty good results and the wikipedia entry seems to match up. That's probably as close to the word as I'm going to get. Thank you.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Has anyone grown succulents from seed? I ordered a bunch of seeds (mostly sedums and other drought-tolerant types in zone 8) just to try it out, and all the guides I'm looking at say to aggressively water them. I can do that, but man with succulents it just feels wrong...

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Shuu posted:

Has anyone grown succulents from seed? I ordered a bunch of seeds (mostly sedums and other drought-tolerant types in zone 8) just to try it out, and all the guides I'm looking at say to aggressively water them. I can do that, but man with succulents it just feels wrong...

Seeds and wee baby succulents need high humidity. I haven't grown them yet myself but I've been doing some reading and it seems like germinating them on wet sand with a humidity dome is the way to go.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Shuu posted:

I have grown literally thousands of succulents and cacti from seed. Even the succulents that are most brutally water-averse as adult plants will thrive with frequent water as seedlings. There's just a few things that you need to ensure:

1. as very young seedlings, they'll do really well in a sealed, humid environment. (I use plastic baggies.) If you don't sterilise your soil, you'll be just asking for massive mould outbreaks and very dead seedlings. I microwave my soil for five minutes to nuke everything, let it cool and then sow.

2. sedum and other crassulaceae seedlings will be reaaaallly tiny immediately after germinating, but they should grow to a moderate size soon enough. Eventually, you'll want to take them out of the humidity. At this point, they'll still want really regular water, but it'll need to drain well - so make sure your soil mix is cut with coarse sand or grit or pumice or something. (Don't use perlite, it sucks.)

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

elgarbo posted:

I have grown literally thousands of succulents and cacti from seed. Even the succulents that are most brutally water-averse as adult plants will thrive with frequent water as seedlings. There's just a few things that you need to ensure:

1. as very young seedlings, they'll do really well in a sealed, humid environment. (I use plastic baggies.) If you don't sterilise your soil, you'll be just asking for massive mould outbreaks and very dead seedlings. I microwave my soil for five minutes to nuke everything, let it cool and then sow.

2. sedum and other crassulaceae seedlings will be reaaaallly tiny immediately after germinating, but they should grow to a moderate size soon enough. Eventually, you'll want to take them out of the humidity. At this point, they'll still want really regular water, but it'll need to drain well - so make sure your soil mix is cut with coarse sand or grit or pumice or something. (Don't use perlite, it sucks.)

Great info - thanks! Hopefully I can come back with pictures of precious seedlings and not a mold farm.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of mold, I have one of these cuties: https://www.amazon.com/Animal-Shippons-Self-Watering-Planters-Dog/dp/B00774EY4A
The wick reaches down into water at the bottom of the cup to water a small plug of coir. Said coir pretty immediately went moldy, which is why I was surprised as all get-out to see tiny specks of green today from the wild strawberry seeds beginning to sprout. I guess they don't mind the wet/mold?

Meanwhile, I salvaged a couple of healthy-looking segments from my mama Christmas cactus and tucked them into the water, too. Mama is 11 years old this Christmas and still going strong, with three babies that keep putting out new segments and even blooming. My best friend growing up had a living room with countless huge pots of Christmas cactus; I don't necessarily want to wind up there, but...I can't seem to bring myself to compost perfectly viable cuttings! :ohdear:

I know there are a lot of succulent enthusiasts here. What fertilizer do you recommend I give my oldest cactus to goose it into more growth versus just staying healthy? I don't want to overfeed it; I suspect Osmocote is a Bad Idea. I could repot it with fresh cactus mix, though it hasn't outgrown its pot.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

elgarbo posted:

(Don't use perlite, it sucks.)

I'm curious about this. Could you go into a bit more detail? I've been using 1:1 potting soil : perlite for my jade and echevaria. You've got me worried now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t like some properties of perlite: it’s messy and it has sharp edges (wear gloves) and it floats.

I do still use a lot of coarse perlite (buy it at “hydroponics” shops) because I think it’s the best option for large potted plants in particular. It’s very light, it drains well, it can’t be compacted, and it can be penetrated by roots.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

I'm curious about this. Could you go into a bit more detail? I've been using 1:1 potting soil : perlite for my jade and echevaria. You've got me worried now.

Oh yeah it's fine for plants, it just floats to the top of the mix and then blows away on the wind.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ah, I see how those points could be biggger drawbacks for other applications, but I always wear gloves when dealing with potting soil, and don't ge5 much windd in the house. Thought it might have been secretly poisoning the plants or something.
Cheers

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is anyone able to help me identify this little guy?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 29, 2019

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

Is anyone able to help me identify this little guy?

It's a Euphorbia hybrid, probably between E. meloformis and something else.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

It's a Euphorbia hybrid, probably between E. meloformis and something else.

Wow thank you, will look up care instructions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
drat Millennials and their :looks down at paper: plant parenting

https://www.pennlive.com/gardening/2020/01/what-will-be-the-hot-gardening-trends-of-2020.html

quote:

Younger gardeners, succulents, eco-friendliness, and “plant parenting” are shaping up as some of this year’s hot trends in gardening.

Here’s what gardening trend-watchers say they see in their 2020 compost-stained crystal balls:

More gardening … and younger gardeners

Interest in gardening continues to grow, and it’s no longer just the over-50 crowd.

Not only did lawn and garden spending set an overall record of more than $52 billion in 2018, according to the National Gardening Association’s 2019 National Gardening Survey, but participation by the Millennial generation (ages 18-34) continues to grow at a higher rate than other age groups – now equaling Gen Xers, Baby Boomers, and beyond.

Millennials accounted for a quarter of 2018’s record gardening spending, which NGA says comes despite these younger gardeners having lower household incomes than older age groups and being more likely to live in an apartment or condo.

More than a third of Millennials also said they planned to spend more on gardening last year, which was higher than the overall average of 29 percent who said they planned to spend more.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

having a black thumb to spite the libs

"I think about how my grandmother had the victory garden, she really worked hard to make ends meet. But it's just so much work, you know, so I just get delivery from walmart. Did I tell you about janice's daughter? She converted half her lawn into a huge garden. Can you imagine, ruining all that open space. I bet it looks horrible from the road. Kid's these days are always playing around with hobbies, they really ought to buckle down and work hard so they can own rental properties like me and my dad have been doing since, oh before I was born I guess."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wtf

Eighteen-year-olds are not Millennials.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Look, the more time the Lizard PeopleMillennials spend on hobbies like gardening the less time they are spending on jobs earning a diminishing portion of total GDP in order to support retired Boomers.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
BTW, I can't remember if it was this thread or the veggie gardening thread, but I mentioned some research I saw showing that mowing a lawn at 2 week intervals seemed to support better bee populations than either shorter (1-week) or longer (3-week) intervals. Anyways, someone said they were interested and I just had a chance to look up the original research:

To mow or to mow less: Lawn mowing frequency affects bee abundance and diversity in suburban yards

quote:

Abstract
Green spaces embedded within the urban matrix, particularly residential yards, could mitigate negative aspects of urban development and provide pollinator habitat. Lawns represent a dominant green space, and their management consists of frequent mowing to inhibit the growth of ostensibly “weedy” species (e.g., dandelions and clover). Since widespread population declines of bees and other pollinators from habitat loss are a growing concern, these spontaneous flowers could provide pollen and nectar sources throughout the growing season. We experimentally tested whether different lawn mowing frequencies (1, 2 or 3 weeks) influenced bee abundance and diversity in 16 suburban western Massachusetts yards by increasing lawn floral resources. Lawns mowed every three weeks had as much as 2.5 times more lawn flowers than the other frequencies. Interestingly, lawns mowed every two weeks supported the highest bee abundance yet the lowest bee richness and evenness. We suggest these patterns were driven by a combination of more abundant floral resources (compared with 1-week yards), easier access to lawn flowers due to shorter grass and a more drastic impact on grass biomass and floral resources (compared with 3-week yards), and the dominance of a few generalist bees overwhelming our samples, thus driving richness and evenness. Our results highlight a “lazy lawnmower” approach to providing bee habitat. Mowing less frequently is practical, economical, and a timesaving alternative to lawn replacement or even planting pollinator gardens. Given the pervasiveness of lawns coupled with habitat loss, our findings provide immediate solutions for individual households to contribute to urban conservation.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hubis posted:

BTW, I can't remember if it was this thread or the veggie gardening thread, but I mentioned some research I saw showing that mowing a lawn at 2 week intervals seemed to support better bee populations than either shorter (1-week) or longer (3-week) intervals. Anyways, someone said they were interested and I just had a chance to look up the original research:

To mow or to mow less: Lawn mowing frequency affects bee abundance and diversity in suburban yards

I vote for ripping out most of your yard and replacing it with native flowers and pocket prairies. Then you can have an even great diversity of insects and birds.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

what is a good way to cut this one down a bit?
If I cut both stalks right at the middle, can I save all 4 parts?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Atticus_1354 posted:

I vote for ripping out most of your yard and replacing it with native flowers and pocket prairies. Then you can have an even great diversity of insects and birds.

I’d love to see some pics of people who have done this. I’m planning on putting in some native wildflower areas for the pollinators this spring but I’d like to do it in a way that’ll still look ok to the neighbors.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My bulbs are coming up! It's a little early but I'm in zone 8b so I'm just hoping it stays mild until spring actually comes around. Is there anything I can do if it goes below freezing again?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HamAdams posted:

I’d love to see some pics of people who have done this. I’m planning on putting in some native wildflower areas for the pollinators this spring but I’d like to do it in a way that’ll still look ok to the neighbors.

Layout a bed where you want your wildflowers to go, and then just keep a clean edge around it. Can be a cut lawn, or some other planting, or some stones, or whatever.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2020

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

elgarbo posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have started mixing up own soils for succulents and seem to be getting happier plants - especially because I can water them more deeply without murdering them...
I am ready to try growing my first batch of succulents from seed, when I nuke/sterilize the soil is there anything that doesnt play nice with microwaves?

Also does anyone have any good resources I could check out on caring for cristate or monstrose cactus/succulents? I got my first monstrose cactus (a cereus and a cereus labelled Thai Hybrid) for christmas, and have a few crested succulents as well.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bobmarleysghost posted:

Just bite through it. :v:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does anyone have experience with building wicking raised beds? I'm planning one out for the front yard to grow salad in and while I've read a ton of material about them would love any first hand insights.

Edit: whoops, just realised this isn't the veggie gardening thread

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 5, 2020

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Just bite through it. :v:

I'm not that dumb 🙄

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My bulbs are coming up! It's a little early but I'm in zone 8b so I'm just hoping it stays mild until spring actually comes around. Is there anything I can do if it goes below freezing again?

Mulch! It's like a nice cozy blanket.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://i.imgur.com/TzZ68OT.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobmarleysghost posted:

If I cut both stalks right at the middle, can I save all 4 parts?

In general, when rooting cuttings, you want to cut them down to a single leaf or even a part of a leaf.

Otherwise they’ll dry out before growing enough roots to support the leaves.

You won’t be able to stick the top half of the stalk in dirt or water and keep it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 5, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bi-la kaifa posted:

What kind of bulbs? Lots of early spring bulbs are sort of evolved to come out very early before the overstory leafs out to take advantage of the free sun with no competition and are adapted to a late freeze or two. In my personal experience daffodils/paperwhite/narcissus can handle a light frost for sure, and hyacinths too. Mulch definitely won't hurt.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

HamAdams posted:

Like was stated a border is important to make it look intentional. I like local rocks as long as they match the rest of the house. Then seed the area with a diverse mix or you can go the more controlled method and plant potted perennials. A lot of tall prairie grasses make good tall plants for the back and look good in the winter if you leave them standing.

Look at Living Landscape by Rick Darke and Doug Tallamy and Gardening with Prairie Plants by Sally Wasowski.

I do native restoration on a multi acre scale and help a lot of people with smaller projects also. If you have questions about what is and isnt native to your area or good native plants for a certain situation feel free to ask. I work in Texas but have consulted on projects with landscape architects in several states.

I will pull up some pictures when I'm at work next week.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What kind of bulbs? Lots of early spring bulbs are sort of evolved to come out very early before the overstory leafs out to take advantage of the free sun with no competition and are adapted to a late freeze or two. In my personal experience daffodils/paperwhite/narcissus can handle a light frost for sure, and hyacinths too. Mulch definitely won't hurt.

Crocuses have made a run for it as well as some daffodils. I have some compost and leaf mold kicking around so I'll just throw some on the bed a little earlier than planned.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have started mixing up own soils for succulents and seem to be getting happier plants - especially because I can water them more deeply without murdering them...
I am ready to try growing my first batch of succulents from seed, when I nuke/sterilize the soil is there anything that doesnt play nice with microwaves?

Also does anyone have any good resources I could check out on caring for cristate or monstrose cactus/succulents? I got my first monstrose cactus (a cereus and a cereus labelled Thai Hybrid) for christmas, and have a few crested succulents as well.

1. I've had no problems with pumice, zeolite, perlite, sand, coir, peat, garden soil and pine bark in the microwave. There'll be a bit of a dirt smell, which will go away after five minutes, but otherwise all good.

2. Montrose and cristate care is usually quite the same as care for regular varieties of the plant, depending on the nature of the monstrosity, I guess. Crested plants will sometimes throw reverted (normal) growth which will grow a lot quicker and divert energy away from the crest, so I typically cut reverts off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

In general, when rooting cuttings, you want to cut them down to a single leaf or even a part of a leaf.

Otherwise they’ll dry out before growing enough roots to support the leaves.

You won’t be able to stick the top half of the stalk in dirt or water and keep it.

So, semi-serious post, could you take the top half off that plant as a couple dozen cuttings?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

So, semi-serious post, could you take the top half off that plant as a couple dozen cuttings?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9qzq2QjhO4&t=63s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I should say that to keep the top half of the canes, what could be done is a technique called air layering.

Air layering involves tricking the plant into growing roots halfway up its stem by damaging the stem in an area and surrounding that area with a moist medium like sphagnum moss in plastic wrap.

After these roots are established, the connection to the lower portion of the plant can be severed and the upper portion replanted.