Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Funzo posted:

Finally getting Concordia to the table today at two players. Anything we should watch out for, or any beginner strategies we should know about?

Which version? If base game, play on Italia. If Venus standalone, play on Ionium (small version, as per setup - but even then, I find it plays better 3p). If you have access to other maps, Creta or Corsica are supposedly the best 2p maps.

Since scoring is really based off your cards, do not neglect buying new cards, especially corresponding to how you've been spread out your little trade empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why are board games always so much cooler in the public imagination?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Llyranor posted:

Which version? If base game, play on Italia. If Venus standalone, play on Ionium (small version, as per setup - but even then, I find it plays better 3p). If you have access to other maps, Creta or Corsica are supposedly the best 2p maps.

Since scoring is really based off your cards, do not neglect buying new cards, especially corresponding to how you've been spread out your little trade empire.

I just have the base game.
Wife and I played, she ended up beating me by 5 or so points. I had some very sub-optimal turns that cost me, but the game itself is pretty easy to grasp rules-wise. I think we'll definitely be playing it again.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
played Dune for the first time today. what a blast. it was the first game any of us had ever played. played Atreides and burned myself out trying to go with an early win with the Bene Gesserit alliance. definitely would have gone a different way with more knowledge about the game, but good to know for next time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If the Ayatollah set up Container then he’s got better taste than I expected :haw:

this is gonna be so loving bad :stare:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My FLGS has a copy of El Grande, but it's just for display-- the only version they're selling is the big box, with all the expansions. I kind of only want the base game, as the big box is just too big. Are the expansions worthwhile?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Krazyface posted:

My FLGS has a copy of El Grande, but it's just for display-- the only version they're selling is the big box, with all the expansions. I kind of only want the base game, as the big box is just too big. Are the expansions worthwhile?

I haven't tried any of the expansions yet, but from my understanding King & Intrigue is well worth it. Big Box is the only way to get the full K&I set (1, 2, 3) iirc (it was incomplete in the Decennial edition).

Also, El Grande is bloody amazing.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a box with two of the VotKs in it (can't remember exactly which) that I'll ship to anyone that wants it for the flat rate box price ($7 I think). Don't need it now that I have premium and happy to pass it on.

Just wanted to say thanks, after the shipping mixup it finally arrived!

Had a chance to play a friend's copy of the base game of VotK before the Christmas break, so I'm looking forward to trying out Last Rites.

Tomorrow, though, is Dune.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phelddagrif posted:

Just wanted to say thanks, after the shipping mixup it finally arrived!

Had a chance to play a friend's copy of the base game of VotK before the Christmas break, so I'm looking forward to trying out Last Rites.

Tomorrow, though, is Dune.

Last Rites is VOTK: Super Saiyan Edition. It's hugely combo-tastic and you need to be prepared for that. I'd recommend not putting it before newbies to the Valley.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There is a Matrix game that covers USA / Iran https://paxsims.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/horribledeal-v2.pdf

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Looking forward to the GMT Games P500 for the next Labyrinth expansion, Labyrinth: The Forever (and Ever) War, 2020 - ?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was given an amazon gift card for Xmas/new year's. Has anyone used something like this to carry their games? It looks more padded than the board game bags that seem to just be a giant box so must always be filled to work properly. At least this way I can put snacks or other things on the other half of the bag. Ideally I'd like something the size of the padded grocery bag (12x14x8") I'm using now that is about to have one of its handles ripped off. 12x12x12" is overkill for game nights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9QZSD0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

I was given an amazon gift card for Xmas/new year's. Has anyone used something like this to carry their games? It looks more padded than the board game bags that seem to just be a giant box so must always be filled to work properly. At least this way I can put snacks or other things on the other half of the bag. Ideally I'd like something the size of the padded grocery bag (12x14x8") I'm using now that is about to have one of its handles ripped off. 12x12x12" is overkill for game nights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9QZSD0

I know a guy who has something that looks like that and he likes it, but I've never inspected it or anything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

I know a guy who has something that looks like that and he likes it, but I've never inspected it or anything.

Yeah it looks similar to the GAMEHAUL bags that I see everywhere. While a cubed bag is apropos to gaming, it's really too much. Most of the time I have to put filler games in my padded grocery bag (9.5" width) just so it doesn't cave in on itself. I think 6-8" width of games is more than enough, probably because my group leans heavily to longer games or repeat plays. Might make sense for those people want 12+" of games who like to play several 1-hour games and never the same game twice (in a night, but often even a year).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My friend has something similar and hauls that poo poo around everywhere. I can't speak for that brand (other than its high reviews) but those bags have enough padding to hold their shape even if you don't pack efficiently.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ketchup is coming tomorrow!!!! I can't wait!! Unfortunately probably won't get it to the table with more than two until Saturday but man I'm so excited to see the final production. I've played with the new milestones (thanks BL!) but I want to play with all of the new toys :). I did see the prototype last March but since I don't generally play prototypes, I decided to wait for the final production. I'm sure it'll be great.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
got my copy of ketchup yesterday, haven't had the chance to play it yet but Noodles makes me really want to try to play a game as the "whatever, gently caress you, I have volume" fast food chain.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013
all of the modules look very interesting imo - excited to get it to the table

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just curious, but what Android apps do you all use/recommend, for score tracking. A friend of mine uses ScorePal, but before I download anything I just wanted to check to see what you goons think.
Ideally, it'll store the scores online so that if my phone dies, the scores won't be lost. Aside from that though, I'm not sure

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I use BGStats and love it. It will also let you download all of the data as a file that you can reimport later on (its how I carried it over when I got a new phone)

Links to BGG so all the game entries have nice cover images and stuff. It's a very satisfying app.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it looks similar to the GAMEHAUL bags that I see everywhere. While a cubed bag is apropos to gaming, it's really too much. Most of the time I have to put filler games in my padded grocery bag (9.5" width) just so it doesn't cave in on itself. I think 6-8" width of games is more than enough, probably because my group leans heavily to longer games or repeat plays. Might make sense for those people want 12+" of games who like to play several 1-hour games and never the same game twice (in a night, but often even a year).

I just use a sports duffel myself. It holds two standard square boxes lying flat on each level, stacked up to 2 or 3 high depending how deep they are; or a longbox (a la Kemet or EGG Lacerdas) plus a bookshelf box lying flat; or Cthulhu Wars.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played a few games last night:

Herbalism: been wanting to get this one to the table for a while, but my usual crowd doesn't go for brain-burny deduction games so it's taken some time. We only played with the "basic" setup to get an idea as to how it worked, and I actually think it's harder to figure out what's going on with just "trade one color, tell me how many of the other color". Two of us incorrectly guessed the cure and the third adjusted their answer based on ours, and ended up getting the correct answer. Apparently the other guy and me didn't think two of the same card could be the answer, because we're dumb. Plays quick, and I'd like to get it to the table more.

Deep Sea Adventure: played a couple of games of this, and only one person managed to pull up any treasure across both games. I brought it with me on an overseas trip over the summer, too, and played it with folks whose primary addiction is Dutch Blitz, and this one ended up being a hit as well. I really do love it for being short and sweet. It has a magic ability to bring a table alive with accusations, panic, and cheers.

Aquicorn Cove: played this two-player with a friend who is also a huge fan of the Katie O'Neill's comics. It's super cute and gentle with nice quality components. It's a bit like a gentler Pandemic, but it could do with being a bit longer, and it seems to be tuned for the full four players. I would definitely consider it a good game to bring out with a group who wants to play nothing but Pandemic (or co-ops in general), and use this as a side-grade to have some variety. Considering the commentary the game makes about its theme through the mechanics is fun, too.

Skulk Hollow: we've had this in my store for a couple of months and I didn't pay it much mind until two of my coworkers described it as "Disney presents: Shadow of the Colossus". Instantly hooked. Played two games, both as the Foxen Heroes, against Grak (kill 8 heroes) and Apoda (collect 4 tokens on the map). I won against Grak, lost against Apoda, but both games were really close matches. Finding a rhythm in the game is difficult, but satisfying when you kinda fall into it, and I really appreciate the variety you get across Foxen leaders and the Guardians. Changing either one appreciably alters the other person's approach to the game, which is neat. I can see huge expansion potential for the game, too. $50 is a bit steep, but the production quality and small visual details help justify it somewhat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tried Tiny Towns last night for a few games, it's pretty good all in all a nice little soloish puzzle and quite quick. I have to say the Master Builder mode is way way better than the one where you get random resources, and it could live without the Wonders. But it's fun and quick so that's good. Comes in an inexplicably huge box.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Tried Tiny Towns last night for a few games, it's pretty good all in all a nice little soloish puzzle and quite quick. I have to say the Master Builder mode is way way better than the one where you get random resources, and it could live without the Wonders. But it's fun and quick so that's good. Comes in an inexplicably huge box.

The Monuments are optional, and they are there to add variance to the game - without them every play can take the same path.

Town Hall mode is inferior to Master Builder (and also requires removing certain Monument cards and interpreting a couple of buildings), but it's essential when playing with more than four as otherwise nobody has enough control over their resources.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Monuments are optional, and they are there to add variance to the game - without them every play can take the same path.

Town Hall mode is inferior to Master Builder (and also requires removing certain Monument cards and interpreting a couple of buildings), but it's essential when playing with more than four as otherwise nobody has enough control over their resources.

It's effectively a Rowland Wright in that sense that 2 people could do identical things but some of the buildings like the Feast House discourage that to some extent. But I don't see that as a bad thing as such. The Monuments don't seem that balanced which is why I dislike them, or rather they're not balanced based on which buildings you're playing with. They might work better if they were face up buildings that anyone could build but first one to build it got it, haven't considered it too much.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

I've played only Town Hall mode, and every monument card that has come up has been usable, and there aren't any interpretation weirdness with the buildings.

'Your turn to choose with the hammer' = every 3rd pull in Town Hall (draw, draw, choose, draw, draw, choose).
'When an opponent chooses...' = the draws.

The only real issue with Town Hall is that you have to kind of curate the buildings being selected for the game to make sure that there's something using every color. In some setups, you could just have 'literally the only thing that uses wheat is the cottage', and with 20% of the cards being wheat, you're kind of out of options unless you have a factory in the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ravendas posted:

I've played only Town Hall mode, and every monument card that has come up has been usable, and there aren't any interpretation weirdness with the buildings.

'Your turn to choose with the hammer' = every 3rd pull in Town Hall (draw, draw, choose, draw, draw, choose).
'When an opponent chooses...' = the draws.

Then you haven't played with the monument that gives a ton of points but stops you being Master Builder unless nobody else is still playing. There's no way to make that one work with Town Hall.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Played 7 Wonders Duel with my fiancee for the first time this weekend. It was supposed to be a quick exploration, but we ended up playing 4 times in a row.

That progress token that allows you to build a wonder for 2 fewer resources seems pretty broken, especially because one game she had 2 of the wonders that allow you to take another turn. Boom, 3 wonders in one go.

Really drat fun game though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

Then you haven't played with the monument that gives a ton of points but stops you being Master Builder unless nobody else is still playing. There's no way to make that one work with Town Hall.

From the rulebook TownHall section:

quote:

If a player builds the monument Fort Ironweed,
that player may no longer take and place resources
every third round, in which players have their choice
of resource, unless that player is the only player
remaining.

It works just fine. Anything that refers to your turns as Master Builder just refers to the 'pick any' round. Anything that refers to another opponent picking a resource is the card draw.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ravendas posted:

From the rulebook TownHall section:

It works just fine.

I honestly don't think that is enough of a drawback. But that's me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Both Tiny Towns modes are really good but Master Builder is superior only because you can make everyone miserable by only calling brick no matter what :getin:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

I honestly don't think that is enough of a drawback. But that's me.

It's equivalent to a 3p Master Builder game, as both ways you lose 1/3 of your choices, while being more restrictive than a 4+p Master Builder Game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Both Tiny Towns modes are really good but Master Builder is superior only because you can make everyone miserable by only calling brick no matter what :getin:

No the best reason is that you get to rename the resources.

"I chose blooooooood"

"Okay I'll pick elephants"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looks like they are remaking Kemet. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/297562/kemet-blood-and-sand

My copy is still in shrink :qq:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ravendas posted:

It's equivalent to a 3p Master Builder game, as both ways you lose 1/3 of your choices, while being more restrictive than a 4+p Master Builder Game.

It isn't quite, because while you're more restricted by luck you place fewer resources and thus are more likely to be the last to stop.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Played 7 Wonders Duel with my fiancee for the first time this weekend. It was supposed to be a quick exploration, but we ended up playing 4 times in a row.

That progress token that allows you to build a wonder for 2 fewer resources seems pretty broken, especially because one game she had 2 of the wonders that allow you to take another turn. Boom, 3 wonders in one go.

Really drat fun game though.

Duel is phenomenally balanced. Almost everything that initially seems broken turns out to be fine with more experience.

There are three counter plays to what your fiancee did:

1. Don’t let her get a significant number of Wonders that let you go again. This is the top priority in the wonder drafting pass. Sometimes nothing can be done, but do what you can to earn the right to play more turns.

2. If she did this relatively early, like in age II, she exhausted her go again potential prior to act III, where it is most impactful, both because the cards in act III are more powerful and because the act III card structure is less flexible. If you kept a go again in reserve, you now have a lot more power in act III to go after any particular card that you want.

The last game I played was a victory against my friend who grabbed Architecture early and built 3 Wonders in act II. I responded by grabbing Strategy and finding a military win in act III using my final go again.

3. If she did this later, in act III, you can look for an opportunity to build four Wonders first, greatly reducing the value of the Architecture bonus.

Glad you enjoyed the game. You will find it has excellent replayability.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Megasabin posted:

Looks like they are remaking Kemet. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/297562/kemet-blood-and-sand

"Kemet: Blood and Sand features new art and upgraded gameplay with new approachable rules that go beyond the 1.5 version of Kemet developed with the help of the BGG community. Free from the constraints of existing components, designers Jacques Bariot and Guillaume Montiage go even further in fine-tuning the Kemet experience.

The game also features a redesigned map with a twist, bigger and more detailed figurines, and other surprises."

I love how much I paid for those existing components only for them to be considered "constraints".

But hey, bigger minis. :P

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

7 wonders duel is great.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my copy of living planet in. Looks pretty brutal, hope it lives up to that impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Megasabin posted:

this but sidereal confluence