Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If I was running a space game where all the players were in one ship, I'd probably run ship encounters as skill challenges or dramatic tasks or what have you. Players could tell me what they were doing to solve the current issue, give bonuses based on the skills used, and encourage people to change up exactly what they were doing as the task progressed. One player might be piloting, another would use science to boost the ship's technobabble, someone fires the weapons, maybe someone uses their social skills to keep the crew from panicking, etc. Focus on what each character is doing and let that determine what the ship is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a game about tall ship combat caked Beat to Quarters that works pretty much like that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

HopperUK posted:

There's a game about tall ship combat caked Beat to Quarters that works pretty much like that.

Yeah, I really love this game. I have wanted to run it reskinned as a Star Trek rpg for years. The resolution mechanic works well in the little bit I have played, which is nice to see in smaller unknown games.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kestral posted:

Say what one will about filk (my guilty pleasure), the end of Dawson's Christian is genuinely chilling in a spooky campfire ghost story way, and if I ever get a chance to use that scene in a game I'm going to do it.

Carmen Miranda's Ghost is great and I will near nothing bad about it. :colbert:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy crap this owns. How have I never heard of this!?!

Like yeah it's obviously more than a bit campy, but it's also amazing in every single way a thing can own.

Is this part of like an actual genre, or is this basically it? I'm getting my mando out and writing some god drat space shanties no matter what.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Story songs, work songs, and oral-history type songs are already extremely my poo poo, and the idea of a genre that's entirely that but for purely fictional events is... I dunno, I'm intrigued but incredulous. Is there someone out there being like spaceman utah phillips?

Or, I mean, I'd love to see what Shadowrun's harry mclintock is doing.

e: gently caress someone tell me there's a dark sun woody guthrie. Talkin' silt sea blues.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 5, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That was one of the things early Shadowrun had that got dropped later.

Rockers. Journos. Ways for counterculture media icons to influence the dystopia they liven in; through punk ethos rock that speaks truth to power, or dogged pursuit and publication of those things the corps don't want known.

Filk is an amazing part of the sci-fi/fantasy fandom that's badly fallen by the wayside and could use a revival.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Rockers. Journos. Ways for counterculture media icons to influence the dystopia they liven in; through punk ethos rock that speaks truth to power, or dogged pursuit and publication of those things the corps don't want known.
...Funny you should say that, since I just recently published a game that's pretty much that - From Sea to Shining Sea (on itch.io and DTRPG), a kinda low-fi cyberpunk game where you play gonzo journalists on the moon colonies, inspired by Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and a couple other things. One of the main moves is literally 'Speak Truth to Power' and the world-building section explicitly says to take inspiration from the lovely parts of the real world. The other main moves are 'Bullshit', 'Blend In', 'Freak Out', 'Watch and Learn', and 'Trip', which all kind of set the tone; also, you start each scene as a disembodied Reporter who can only show lunar society in a positive light (or bring in the authority figures) and have to choose to put yourself in the story. That makes you a vulnerable and human character but also lets you change the way people think, and generally gently caress things up for the authorities.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Looks like the user who uploaded Carmen Miranda's Ghost has some other filk albums uploaded.

There are also some publishing companies dedicated to filk, but unfortunately a lot of the old stuff is on cassettes and out of print.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy crap this owns. How have I never heard of this!?!

Like yeah it's obviously more than a bit campy, but it's also amazing in every single way a thing can own.

Is this part of like an actual genre, or is this basically it? I'm getting my mando out and writing some god drat space shanties no matter what.

It falls under “filk”, aka folk songs based on genre fiction, but that’s a fairly broad category of which this is only a particular niche.

I don’t know of much, but there is more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6LiVJkwyA

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 5, 2020

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Oh hey, while on the topic of spaceship games, in the board game space Tony Go is right now running a KS for the multiplayer version of his Deep Space D6, which was a fairly fun little solo game. (Deep Space D6 Armada)

It's built around that "roll custom dice and assign to things" mechanic that you've probably seen, like in the Tiny Epic games, among others. I don't think that mechanic has much conveyance, which makes it pretty poor for RPGs, but there are probably some fun mechanical bits to borrow there.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

e: gently caress someone tell me there's a dark sun woody guthrie. Talkin' silt sea blues.

Holy hell, take my money.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Story songs, work songs, and oral-history type songs are already extremely my poo poo, and the idea of a genre that's entirely that but for purely fictional events is... I dunno, I'm intrigued but incredulous. Is there someone out there being like spaceman utah phillips?

Or, I mean, I'd love to see what Shadowrun's harry mclintock is doing.

This is one of the only filk songs I know. I think it's solid if you like this kinda thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsVJezFRi4

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Has no one here ever listened to American Murder Song? The dude who wrote Repo! The Genetic Opera has been doing early 19th century-style murder ballads for like four years now and it's great

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hot drat, that owns

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Ookla The Mok are pretty awesome too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8 Banned from Argo is still a classic campfire-style song among certain con crowds. Sometimes there are arguments between purists who think it should only be in-character songs and people coming at it from a more Weird Al-esque "silly fandom music" direction, but there's a whole bunch of stuff out there good bad and weird.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It continues to baffle me that YouTube doesn't have a single performance of 'Fuel to Feed the Drive' (also by Jordin Kare) on it; that one was just as ubiquitous as the others mentioned at the time...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cessna posted:

Holy hell, take my money.

Hardly even need to adapt half his dust bowl stuff. Just change the place names and switch words like "telephone" to "messenger" and "ford car" to "wagon".

Bruceski posted:

Sometimes there are arguments between purists who think it should only be in-character songs and people coming at it from a more Weird Al-esque "silly fandom music" direction

I have practically no interest in the latter (although I'm sure it has its place) and that's what I'd always thought "filk" meant.

The idea of in-fiction folk/history songs is amazing though. Like, you've got the presentation of this epic world with wizards and dragons and questing knights and when the Official Source mentions a song it's all like militaristic ballads or the complete history of why our god is the best, but of course there's some dude out there with the local equivalent of a hosed guitar going "being a worker sucks, yo", "my wife and kids died of wizard plague", "Town guard all up in my poo poo again" and "Sir Fuckstain Got The Title But We Did The Fighting (help me, I'm homeless)"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 6, 2020

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Hardly even need to adapt half his dust bowl stuff. Just change the place names and switch words like "telephone" to "messenger" and "ford car" to "wagon".

I have practically no interest in the latter (although I'm sure it has its place) and that's what I'd always thought "filk" meant.

The idea of in-fiction folk/history songs is amazing though. Like, you've got the presentation of this epic world with wizards and dragons and questing knights and when the Official Source mentions a song it's all like militaristic ballads or the complete history of why our god is the best, but of course there's some dude out there with the local equivalent of a hosed guitar going "being a worker sucks, yo", "my wife and kids died of wizard plague", "Town guard all up in my poo poo again" and "Sir Fuckstain Got The Title But We Did The Fighting (help me, I'm homeless)"

Might be a bit too terminally nerdy, but I’m in a steampunk band prepping to record a demo, and all of our songs are about guillotining the nobility, solidarity with undead workers, and tricking colonialist “explorers” into dying via faulty diving equipment, which I think is kinda close to that ideal?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Filk is super big in LARPing circles, especially the big festival-style ones where after people are done fighting for the day they get around campfires and sing songs in-character about poo poo other people in-character did.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hedningen posted:

Might be a bit too terminally nerdy, but I’m in a steampunk band prepping to record a demo, and all of our songs are about guillotining the nobility, solidarity with undead workers, and tricking colonialist “explorers” into dying via faulty diving equipment, which I think is kinda close to that ideal?

No that's exactly the right level of terminally nerdy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No that's exactly the right level of terminally nerdy.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hedningen posted:

You're a hopeless nerd, and I salute you for your strength.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hedningen posted:

I salute your intense nerdery.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Toss a coin to your Witcher...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Toss a coin to your Witcher...

Dude I had JUST GOTTEN IT OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Toss a coin to your witcher,
You can leave your friends behind.
Cos your friends don't witch
And if they don't witch
Then they ain't no friends of mine.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The Last of Robb Stark's Halberdiers

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Whybird posted:

Filk is super big in LARPing circles, especially the big festival-style ones where after people are done fighting for the day they get around campfires and sing songs in-character about poo poo other people in-character did.

Repping Jamie Wakefield for being straight-up one of the best things LARP has done for this country.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Doodmons posted:

Repping Jamie Wakefield for being straight-up one of the best things LARP has done for this country.

I wonder if this is the same Jamie Wakefield who was a popular very early (1990s) MTG author. Seems pretty likely.

Neat.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
This is a claim on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/elfkbq/massive_layoffs_at_ffg/

quote:

A large amount of people have been laid off from Fantasy Flight Games and Fantasy Flight Interactive.

Fantasy Flight Interactive is set to be closed down completely.

Most, if not all, the RPG department has been laid off.

Numerous other employees have been cut in an large reorganization of the the entire studio following the departure of several key members of the company that have been there for years.

Confirmation about FFI here:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6620002528014712833/

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/356367/Fantasy_Flight_Interactive_to_close_after_companywide_layoffs.php

Fantasy Flight is killing its digital stuff.

Edit: OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD :ninja:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
FFG had just teased but not yet revealed, an expansion for Journeys of Middle Earth, which is app driven. I think Asmodee have another app company but don't know what they've done or if they're as good.

Genesys hasn't been the best launch, I think, mostly because their RPG dept is just pretty small these days. FFGSW has been pretty good on the whole, though distribution and release timing has been poo poo and they're now just putting out 'collection of stuff we've already done' books.

L5R on the other hand has been fantastic, so if that's stopped that will be a real shame.

PST fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This sucks. I hope the L5R rpg team gets to keep existing. :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For a while I was wrestling with the question of whether I should buy my own copy of Mansions of Madness 2e instead of mooching. The answer is no.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This sucks. I hope the L5R rpg team gets to keep existing. :ohdear:

Almost certainly not. RPG department was completely gutted, their entire marketing department is gone too, and people fired from multiple other departments. 35 people laid off so far (which is over 1/4th the company), and I'm not sure if that includes people that will be leaving in the next month. This includes the third (ever) employee of FFG.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think I remember there being some discussion whether or not FFG was about to die in the Death Thread. There were some nay-sayers but looks like it's true :(

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

I think I remember there being some discussion whether or not FFG was about to die in the Death Thread. There were some nay-sayers but looks like it's true :(

FFG as a whole isn't dead, they blew away the RPG department (which I'm to understand has been struggling for a while) and it sounds like there's at least one person cut from every team beyond that, but most of the layoffs were on the operational/Asmodee side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Losing the L5R rpg is gonna be a huge sadness. They were doing some truly amazing work with it.