Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I forgot to post about the sinclair ptsd cyberspace community theater episode yesterday (which was great btw) but I like that he is well aware that his superiors are assholes who often arent on the level or are actively trying to undermine him and takes steps to rules lawyer his way into loving them over. its way more interesting than sone shithead admiral showing up on star trek and the characters just going along with it until it inevitably goes to poo poo. I also like that earth seems pretty anti-alien but is still doing stuff like the cultural and religious showcase on b5 because it looks good for them which feels pretty realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a lot more straightforward to just let the audience know about the structural problems that put assholes in a position of power over the protagonists rather than constantly having to deal with That One Bad Admiral and insisting everything's fine overall.

I would've liked to know more about Santiago and his cabinet before they took office, but they're pretty direct about how Earth's politics don't exactly align with B5's purpose.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
i watched DEATHWALKER!!!

kosh :allears:

lmao at him just strolling in and having his crew blow DEATHWALKER up. also I cannot get over him setting up a fake business deal so he can gently caress with winters. "he just wants to know your greatest fear so he can use it against you later" is like the worst possible thing you could be told in that situation

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mystic pimp posted:

i watched DEATHWALKER!!!

kosh :allears:

lmao at him just strolling in and having his crew blow DEATHWALKER up. also I cannot get over him setting up a fake business deal so he can gently caress with winters. "he just wants to know your greatest fear so he can use it against you later" is like the worst possible thing you could be told in that situation

There’s a reason for all of that.

Later spoilers:
That never gets played out due to someone having their trap door sprung

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

TraderStav posted:

I think that was actually the moment (other than goons insisting) that I realized that the show was something else than of the era that it was created in. It was something it took very seriously and mindfully about the story it was going to tell.

Same for me. It was the first indication for me that the show was going to remember stuff from previous episodes, and do it often. We were on, what, episode 3, and the show was already acknowledging previous stories. Suddenly felt like paying attention mattered and would pay off. I didn't expect it would pay off this much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's funny, since in the Lurker's Guide you can see JMS's old posts where early on he lengthily defends his idea of sending the commander into danger.

J. Michael Straczynski posted:

In your complaints regarding the commander flying off on occasional missions (and he only does it about 3 times out of 22 episodes, so I hardly see this as a problem), you are forgetting several other *realities* of military life. If you're a pilot, even as a commander, you have to log in X-number of hours flying time per month in order to continue to qualify for flight pay. This is a *requirement*. And it doesn't just mean flying around the station a few times.

Second, many commanders -- as recently as Vietnam and afterward -- did and continue to go out on missions and sorties because it is rather expected of them, and because it maintains the respect of the rest of the squadron(s).

Third, and possibly most important, Earthforce is the same as the contermporary Air Force in one important respect: promotion up the ranks is tied *directly* to combat experience and, in this case, combat flying. That's why women fighter pilots and helicopter pilots have been fighting so *vigorously* to be allowed to fly combat missions; they know that they can't be promoted fully up the line without that. Sinclair has no desire to be a commander all his life, he'd like to move on. Hence it behooves him to get in combat time whenever possible.

Your statement that it "doesn't wash" has nothing to do with how the military *actually* works, and everything to do with the skewed and inaccurate portrayal of the military that you get from Trek. This is absolutely legitimate, and the B5 mailbox these days is partly crammed with letters from vets thanking us for getting this part right.

I suppose I could mention this in passing in dialogue, but then it becomes a matter of sticking in dialogue not because it's important to an episode, but because some folks would like things explained to them. I don't think that's my responsibility.

I answered you elsewhere here on this topic earlier this evening. To just nit for a moment, to say that Sinclair picks up "every derelict ship" seems a little unfair...he's picked up *one*, and only one, and only picks up one this entire season. Why him? A) Because he's good at it, B) he could use the flight pay, C) it'll look good on his record, and D) because as he says as he leaves, it's a potential first-contact situation. (NOt to mention E, that he has a death-wish.)

I would submit to you that this is NOT the same as having one character do a zillion different jobs on the station. I think that you're reacting to something you've seen on Trek, and are assuming based on an example of one that we're doing it in B5 as well. We're not. Also, in "Purple," Garibaldi sends a different team out to handle the gunfire, so there are others who do things. Question becomes, how many new and recurring characters do you want to introduce? There are currently *14* regular and recurring characters on B5, and there are many folks who are saying that's too many. As it is, we do introduce an aide to Garibaldi who takes care of some stuff for him. Just as Sinclair delegates to Ivanova, and Ivanova delegates to the observation dome techs.

I just feel that you're leaping to a conclusion based on a paucity of evidence, built upon your experiences with another show. We're simply not doing this.

It's a real time capsule of old internet etiquette, and JMS tends to get in too deep with some arguments. Old newsgroup stuff.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a real time capsule of old internet etiquette, and JMS tends to get in too deep with some arguments. Old newsgroup stuff.

A far cry from Roberto Orci wading into a comments section and drunkenly going back-and-forth with Trek fans, only to sign off with a quote from his hero George W. Bush.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

We talked about The Expanse in here recently and I binged the first two seasons (and 1/4 the first book) and I'm in love. If anyone in here hasn't watched it, do it tonight.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TraderStav posted:

We talked about The Expanse in here recently and I binged the first two seasons (and 1/4 the first book) and I'm in love. If anyone in here hasn't watched it, do it tonight.
Yeah I was watching star trek voyager of all things and someone told me to do this instead, and it's great.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I watched an episode a few months ago and it didn't grab me yet, but I'll get back to it I'm sure, based on recommendations like this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I watched an episode a few months ago and it didn't grab me yet, but I'll get back to it I'm sure, based on recommendations like this.

After episode 4, if you don't like it, it's not for you.

But drat, episode 4.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Knockoff Lego Omega on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000370015620.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.27.560d13381vj8Xm

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fuuuuuck me. Is that a legit site? I am so goddamn temped.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Fuuuuuck me. Is that a legit site? I am so goddamn temped.

AliExpress is a storefront for a bunch of factories in China. This isn’t a lego product, it’s Chinese bootleg legos. This seller is reputable so you probably will get what’s advertised though the plastic may be lower quality or not fit as well as real legos.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is it actual lego? That’s an amazing price for something that size. It’s a good rear end model too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Is it actual lego? That’s an amazing price for something that size. It’s a good rear end model too

No, it’s bootleg.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Midjack posted:

AliExpress is a storefront for a bunch of factories in China. This isn’t a lego product, it’s Chinese bootleg legos. This seller is reputable so you probably will get what’s advertised though the plastic may be lower quality or not fit as well as real legos.

My experience of Chinese knockoff legos is they're surprisingly decent, not much different than the real thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

No, I get that they aren’t real Lego and that I don’t care about, but I don’t want to plunk down $170 buckazoids and get nothing ever sent to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

No, I get that they aren’t real Lego and that I don’t care about, but I don’t want to plunk down $170 buckazoids and get nothing ever sent to me.

I haven’t personally dealt with this vendor but my blockhead friend tells me they are reliable.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That's pretty nice. Wish there were one of the station itself. I've seen one shared by a guy from a few years ago, but didn't have any plans with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that rotating section is just built at a slant rather than actually being able to rotate. I don't think there's an easy way to make something that big rotate with Lego without some complicated engineering.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If that thing rotated I'd buy it right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm severely tempted.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I'd really want to see a sample of the building instructions first. I know they should be language-independent, but Lego has spent decades getting good at presenting complete and understandable instructions and it's really easy to mess that up. With 4720 pieces, you're not going to build that thing on your own.

I am also mildly offended it's labeled a "Star Toys Wars" item like all the bootleg Star Wars kits.

EDIT: OK, clearly they're working off this model. https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-12902/manglegrat/eas-agamemnon-from-babylon-5/
They took the pictures from the original build, so anyone's guess whether they're actually providing the stickers or just the bootleg equivalent of the Lego parts necessary for the build. Builder mentions that the instructions are bad, and that's with a file you can manipulate to see parts behind other parts.

SECOND EDIT: Here's the designer with a thread ending with instructions on getting instructions. https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/146929-ship-recreation-eas-agamemnon-from-babylon-5/&page=4
He says the rotating section rotates and will stay in place once rotated into a position.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 29, 2019

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Hi I don't think I have ever said anything in this thread before, I just lurk off and on, but having more money than sense I have ordered one. If and when it shows up (estimated January 15th, don't hold your breath) I will post a trip report. Assuming that yeah I can actually figure out how to build the drat thing, I am deeply curious what the hell it's going to include for instructions given the above.

Also it is in part about a war in among the stars so it seems about as accurate as the rest of the item descriptions on AliExpress.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goonspeed !

I'm following this, I've got the drat thing bookmarked and I'm going to be eyeing it, and some of the Star Wars sets until your trip report comes in.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
G'karishly: It's happening again!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Just started s3 with the wife. When the new intro said ‘it failed’ she said ‘oh poo poo’. She also loved the londo/g’kar elevator scene.

A good night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TK-42-1 posted:

Just started s3 with the wife. When the new intro said ‘it failed’ she said ‘oh poo poo’. She also loved the londo/g’kar elevator scene.

A good night.

I hear you!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TK-42-1 posted:

Just started s3 with the wife. When the new intro said ‘it failed’ she said ‘oh poo poo’.

That intro is so loving good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I T

F A I L E D

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I T

F A I L E D

BOOM!

CRASH!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

BOOM!

CRASH!

DUN DUN DAAAAAH DUN DUN DAAAAAAH

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mllaneza posted:

That intro is so loving good.

I was going to add to this. But this statement just covers it so well.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

:perfect::pusheen:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I saw some discussion of Sense8 earlier in the thread, is that worth watching for B5 fans? I had gotten the impression JMS's other works weren't anywhere near as good.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I think season 1 of Sense8 is phenomenal, and you can definitely tell some of the speeches are pure weapons grade JMS.

Season 2 leans a bit too much into the metaplot especially as they try to wrap everything up in the finale when they learned they were canceled.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's very much its own thing, but it's very enjoyable if you enjoy beautiful people having exciting adventures and/or orgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Small White Dragon posted:

So I saw some discussion of Sense8 earlier in the thread, is that worth watching for B5 fans? I had gotten the impression JMS's other works weren't anywhere near as good.

JMS's love of worldbuilding is there but it's very much a later-day Wachowski vehicle. I really enjoyed it but it is way closer to an R-rated "Prestige Television" version of Speed Racer than B5. If you liked Speed Racer but wanted the racetracks to just be men embraced in a passionate embrace and don't mind women having near equal time it's amazing.