Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious about Code Vein (I know like nothing about it). How did it turn out? I don't mind tje aesthetic and the few minutes of gameplay looks a decent souls alike.
I’ll be honest - I wanted to like it but it was bad.

The Surge 2 came out around the same time and was grounded and confident in its souls-like framework, with unique and well executed mechanics.

Code Vein was, in contrast, more of a Dark Souls 2 mod that procedurally generates a whole world from a Deviant Art post. Some of the “knee-high impassible wall between you and your goal” design choices are insulting, and the combat is soggy at best.

Sekiro, the surge 1 & 2, Nioh, DMC etc are all better choices. I won’t be a hypocrite as I finished Code Vein through NG, but it isn’t executed well enough to recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played 2 hours of both surge 2 and code vein and played bloodborne instead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked everything about Code Vein except felt that the combat wasn’t responsive enough for my tastes. I’ll probably pick it up for $20.

I’m playing through Hellblade: Soul Sacrifice after picking it up for Xmas sale and... I mean gosh the game is beautiful and really interesting but it’s extremely emotionally draining to play and I can only handle like an hour at most before I need to take a break and do something else. I love the puzzles and the combat is cool, but it’s atmosphere is oppressive to the point of being smothering. I guess that’s by design but it’s still taxing to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wish there was a soul sacrifice game on ps4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish there was a soul sacrifice game on ps4

Same. It was the last good game Keiji "Con Man" Inafune made.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

All bets we get Yakuza 7 in the west during the summer?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno. Turn around on judgement was longer wasnt it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

It was exactly 6 months, so late summer seems about right

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Real hurthling! posted:

They were doing the translations for 3-5 at the same time, so I'd imagine they have less on their plate right now.

e: wait. That's stupid. That part was already done.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also hopefully none of the drat actors get caught snorting coke again.

e: Oh wow, I didn’t realize it was Hamura who got replaced in Judgment. The new actor/face is pretty much perfect for the character, can’t imagine him being played by anyone else. Nice, seamless editing.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 5, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
we're getting yak7 in the summer, i have no doubts.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nachos posted:

I played it on release, had a great time, then dropped it soon after the big reveal, which was one of the dumbest things my child brain experienced up to that point. 20 years later and I appreciate it a lot more for what it is. It’s a pretty fun game, certainly better than outer worlds.

Was the big reveal in the last hour or two of the game? My memory of FF8 is extremely hazy. I played the last 1/3 of the game in a hurricane bunker on a ~10" portable battery-powered TV, so I was probably pretty scatterbrained, but I remember it feeling extremely "wrap it up" when you go to the final area. Like OK we're here, this is the dungeon, this is the main antagonist you've hardly heard anything about and certainly never seen, fight against it, you win!

Re: "should I play FF8" -- yes, if you like JRPGs, but for only that reason. It's a solid 90s JRPG, the battle system is both familiar and unique for the draw system, it's zany, it gets canonically non-sensical fast, it has great music. The aforementioned ending sequence feels extremely pasted on, and is better to let just wash over you instead of trying to parse it.

On the downside, it came out during a turning point in 3D graphics on the PSX when ambitions were high and processing power was low, so even the remaster looks kinda lovely. It is a low effort remaster. The character models, enemies, and summons were redone, so they at least look like an early PS3 game in quality. Everything else is pretty much left the same -- horrendous world map, same pre-rendered backdrops for locales that don't look too bad but are low-res, same low FPS full motion video segments that wowed the poo poo out of us in the late 90s but look a little vanilla in 2020. There are some minor quirks that make the battle system a little more difficult than it should be due to frame pacing and display/controller latency issues that weren't present in 1999.

I'm very glad that I played it and didn't miss it, but if you held a gun to my head and forced me to sort the Final Fantasy games in order of most to least favorite, it would only be somewhere in the middle, leaning towards the bottom. The games it's flanked by (6, 7, 9, 10) are better games in every way.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 5, 2020

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Death Stranding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3o03HXC-0

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This outcome was predetermined.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In hindsight I agree, but a series of stupid decisions led me to be halfway down a massive waterfall, so why not throw another onto the pile?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

owl_pellet posted:

In hindsight I agree, but a series of stupid decisions led me to be halfway down a massive waterfall, so why not throw another onto the pile?

I spent like an hour trying to get out of a ravine one day lol. I love all this stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My favorite moment of these was when I had a truck fall into the ravine SE of South Distro and it got wedged perpendicularly between the ravine walls.

I spent ten minutes trying to turn the truck around, just as bad as parallel parking in real life

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vikar Jerome posted:

we're getting yak7 in the summer, i have no doubts.

and yet again i'll be denied an actual yak in the game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

I love how vertigo inducing this video game gets when you look down, trying not slip to your death.

I've had my floating cargo carrier get stuck in cliff face many times so I had to build ladders back up to get to it.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 5, 2020

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How’s Jump Force ?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s Jump Force ?

Very bad

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

rabidsquid posted:

this could be the one though

Also yeah geez, Hamura's actor was great for the role, kind of crazy how important his character is and how well they did considering they had to replace him almost after launch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

I really wouldn't rule anything out, especially with this one. it looks like even compared to its predecessors it's going to have everything in the kitchen sink in it.

Edit: I'm most fascinated in the idea of the business simulation where you have to do a Phoenix Wright kind of thing to convince your shareholders that you're not loving it up.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My favorite moment of these was when I had a truck fall into the ravine SE of South Distro and it got wedged perpendicularly between the ravine walls.

I spent ten minutes trying to turn the truck around, just as bad as parallel parking in real life
I am a total moron with trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOXAgpNnHU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nier Automata progress report: came to a city full of corpses. This is exciting because it’s the first surprise that hasn’t been spoiled for me.

Edit: fight was a fun laser light show, but I see what everyone means about Normal being easy. Just to scavenge parts I decided to pick up all the corpses in the room. Enemy hit me a few times but then I noticed picking up a corpse heals you. I tried to pick up all the corpses but it seems it keeps spawning more! No way to run out of heals.

At least the music was great

Edit: I am kind of glad 9S isn’t around, it got confusing in battles to have the both of us on screen

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 5, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I'm curious about Code Vein (I know like nothing about it). How did it turn out? I don't mind tje aesthetic and the few minutes of gameplay looks a decent souls alike.

Easily one of the best games I have played in 2019. I am not a souls fan, so getting trough it was dificult. Loved the areas, unloking talent trees, progressing.

it is what it looks like: Dark Souls anime with many talent trees

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wtf the cleanse the siphons section in control is such serious bullshit. Got to the sixth one and died, these fights are so long and tedious at least save my progress up to that point at least ffs

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Wtf the cleanse the siphons section in control is such serious bullshit. Got to the sixth one and died, these fights are so long and tedious at least save my progress up to that point at least ffs

I have no idea what fight is that, but if don't have a clear objetive, try to back a bit, give you some room to snipe them before they reach you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

There’s a moment in Yakuza 0 where you’re in a room with a dozen mobsters who want to kick your rear end and you wonder to yourself... the game doesn’t really expect me to fight THIS many guys, does it?

This cult in Nier is a similar fun moment.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tei posted:

I have no idea what fight is that, but if don't have a clear objetive, try to back a bit, give you some room to snipe them before they reach you.

Meh, I'm just gonna give it a rest for a while. Been playing this game non stop since Christmas and kinda bored of it. Installing days gone now

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't know if I should feel pride or shame for getting the Platinum for Night Trap. I got it last year, gave up after sucking hard on survivor mode. Went back to it this weekend to try and get away from the lovely news cycle (good camp.) And all of a sudden it just clicked. Survivor mode is still rral dumb though, it gets easier the longer you go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow this place turned into Jonestown

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fridge corn posted:

Pretty sure that's right near the end of the game, and that's as hard as it gets. Might as well stick it out and finish it, eh?

I remember a lot of people complaining about that when the game came out (and rightfully so, since there's no checkpoint) but I had no trouble with it whatsoever -- probably because I soaked up every sidequest I could (and a number of those random objective missions that would pop up, until I realized they were just about totally pointless to do.) I went into it maxed out in just about every way.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 5, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The final gauntlet can be tough but there's no time limit and nothing that keeps you from just hanging back with Pierce and sniping as you move from platform to platform. There's also an auto-checkpoint halfway through so even Remedy knew it would be kinda hard for most players. Seize is your best friend here since those roided up Hiss will shred all the other bad guys for you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

enojy posted:

Pretty sure that's right near the end of the game, and that's as hard as it gets. Might as well stick it out and finish it, eh?

I remember a lot of people complaining about that when the game came out (and rightfully so, since there's no checkpoint) but I had no trouble with it whatsoever -- probably because I soaked up every sidequest I could (and a number of those random objective missions that would pop up, until I realized they were just about totally pointless to do.) I went into it maxed out in just about every way.

I think the problem is that im so close to the end of the game that I'm in the let's hurry up and finish this mode so my patience for difficult bullshit is near zero. The best thing to do is play something else and come back to it later

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nier progress report: jeez, ten set pieces in a row.

Edit Oh I guess that’s the end of Story A. Umm are there actually people who stopped after A? Because it feels very incomplete.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 5, 2020

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Hey, orphan of kos isn’t as bad as I remember.

[phase two starts and he uses my gold Ardeo as his toilet]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

Nier progress report: jeez, ten set pieces in a row.

Edit Oh I guess that’s the end of Story A. Umm are there actually people who stopped after A? Because it feels very incomplete.

Consider it chapter one of three, the use of "Ending" is very misleading

I feel like there was some message added specifically to stop people from being confused and stopping at A? After B there is a cutscene that makes no mistake that you should just keep playing

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I never want to meet anyone who stopped after chapter A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Death Stranding™ (2019)