Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

It's true. The Dusk community is great. I really hope CTF and TDM and custom game modes come soon because the only thing I really want out of dusk is an online presence strong enough to let me jump on and frag whenever I feel like it without having to rally people on Discord, and Duskmatch alone hasn't had the legs to make that happen. I also wish it didn't take so long for audio to load when booting the game but hey--aside from those two things Dusk is :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I am now reminded of the absolute banger of a single player FPS that is Resistance 3. You want to carry eight thousand freak rear end guns (selected through a radial menu)? You want to collect health packs? You want scripted set pieces and intense fire fights? You want to watch Insomniac Games just crib essentially the entire gameplay setup and journey from Half-Life 2? Yeah you do. It's great.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

This made me want to go back and play Shadow Warrior '97 again

I remember playing through Wanton Destruction on the easier difficulty, and it was still a pain to finish. The sounds those ninja replacements make are burned into my brain.

I noticed he mentioned Deadly Kiss at the end. Is that still being worked on?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't mind radial menus, but I really liked Doom16's. I would generally use the numbers or the mouse wheel, but sometimes it was useful to bring up the radial menu to give yourself a moment to think about which weapon to use for the current situation. It slowed time down just enough to let you think, but not so much that you could take a lot of time.

I got really excited thinking this was going to be an alternate HUD for a (probably very early in development) source port. It looks ok though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

I got really excited thinking this was going to be an alternate HUD for a (probably very early in development) source port. It looks ok though.
Arvy was/is working on a WAD called Darkest Forces, that's SW themed. But I guess he got burned out on it. He's the guy who made Diabolus Ex.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, I like using number keys for weapons but you know what? In games with lots of weapons/powers/whatever? I'll take a radial menu any day, gently caress it. It's just convenient, even with mouse and keyboard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The console port of HL2 had a good system I’ve rarely seen anywhere else- the weapons were put in stacks on the dpad. So to e.g. pick the crossbow you’d press down 3 times quickly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Hey, I like using number keys for weapons but you know what? In games with lots of weapons/powers/whatever? I'll take a radial menu any day, gently caress it. It's just convenient, even with mouse and keyboard.

Yeah the issue I always have with number keys is anything that's not mapped to the numbers 1-5 might as well not have a binding because it gets awkward trying to reach over there from WASD without looking at the keyboard.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speedmaps 205: The Randomizer Special consists of Quake 1 speedmaps built to the specifications of a python-based Random Map Idea Generator. There are worse concepts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Arvy was/is working on a WAD called Darkest Forces, that's SW themed. But I guess he got burned out on it. He's the guy who made Diabolus Ex.

Oh, neat! Darkest Forces looked really neat, that's a shame. Diabolus Ex looks good too, but I never got around to it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Man, the Coldwind Castle map in the Xmas Jam really tickles a nostalgic itch. Just a perfectly contained little adventure.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the issue I always have with number keys is anything that's not mapped to the numbers 1-5 might as well not have a binding because it gets awkward trying to reach over there from WASD without looking at the keyboard.

same except anything beyond 1-3, they might as well not exist

granted, that's why I always rebind things to other keys. weapons go on 2 other mouse keys, something goes on R if the game doesn't have reloading, I always like to put shotgun on F. that's space for 7 things total, and Q is often free as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/T19gs/status/1213479089920602112

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh that's good eatin

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Weapon wheel chat: Undying uses wheels for weapons and spells but also individual keys so it has the best. I usually bind my favourite stuff around WSAD and mouse buttons and then Q and E as wheels for selecting the rest.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One of Dusk’s major sins is putting the rocket launcher on 9. 9!

Also the SSG and dual shotties didn’t need to be on different binds.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress all life, I'm gonna play Blood 2 on purpose.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is nothing to be gained from playing Blood II and Shogo, beyond pain and suffering.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 5, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a full trailer for that Hell Hunt game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-4gEoRs3k
Not really sold on it yet, but we'll see.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Don't forget to save, that game's engine is held together with chewing gum and Elmer's glue.

Mordja posted:

There's a full trailer for that Hell Hunt game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-4gEoRs3k
Not really sold on it yet, but we'll see.

That looks neat, I'll be interested in hearing how it is.

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 5, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

There is nothing to be gained from playing Blood II and Shogo, beyond pain and suffering.

Shogo at least has giant robots.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Shogo at least has giant robots.

The robots are also cursed.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

haveblue posted:

The console port of HL2 had a good system I’ve rarely seen anywhere else- the weapons were put in stacks on the dpad. So to e.g. pick the crossbow you’d press down 3 times quickly.

Doom 2 for xb360 does this, but it just isn't quick enough on ultra violence for me. I much preferred the weapon wheel from new doom on my xbox. Especially when it also gives you a last weapon button so you can hotswap between 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Crustashio posted:

Doom 2 for xb360 does this, but it just isn't quick enough on ultra violence for me. I much preferred the weapon wheel from new doom on my xbox. Especially when it also gives you a last weapon button so you can hotswap between 2.

Cliking on '6' in Doom 2 to get the PG with the hands on WASD is also not instantaneous, and that's how people played Doom for decades.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Cliking on '6' in Doom 2 to get the PG with the hands on WASD is also not instantaneous

How so?

On a controller, I think that the ideal setup would be to hold LB and then press Up/Down/Left/Right/A/B/Y/X to pick a weapon. Double tap LB to switch to previous weapon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Turin Turambar posted:

Cliking on '6' in Doom 2 to get the PG with the hands on WASD is also not instantaneous, and that's how people played Doom for decades.

And that's why the number keys beyond a certain point are awful for weapon selection. Doubling up similar weapons and spreading them around the WASD keys is fast and more comfortable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • GZDoom has been updated with some more modding toys (like increasing the number of sound channels an actor can use from 8 to effectively limitless) and the ability to run again (if not necessarily gracefully) on dinosaur PCs that can't handle OpenGL 3.3.
  • Doom Tournament and Doomreal have been updated to match, with audio more accurate to the original games.
  • STAHP

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

modding has gone too far

e: i kinda feel bad, since i got a new pc i havent interacted with drfrag at all, so now i need to read about what happened with G and L zdoom

site fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 6, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

i kinda feel bad, since i got a new pc i havent interacted with drfrag at all, so now i need to read about what happened with G and L zdoom
LZDoom is still in development, it got a new release last month and continues to integrate new engine features into the older renderer version where possible. I think drfrag's having some internet issues at the moment, though, so progress may be slowed.

The new GZDoom release basically lets you run with software rasterization where OpenGL 3.3 isn't possible for whatever reason, which should be fine for the old Carmack software renderer but I probably wouldn't recommend trying to squeeze the OpenGL or Vulkan renderer through it. :v:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Crowetron posted:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sort of neat, but the modern EA UI is this horrible flat/clean look that completely lacks anything Star Wars about it and shouldn't be emulated by anyone who isn't making a 2001: A Space Odyssey video game. Plus, I absolutely loathe the console gun wheel and the 3D map.

I want game UI's to go back to the early PC gaming thing where it's like you're using an in-universe software interface

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farm Frenzy posted:

I want game UI's to go back to the early PC gaming thing where it's like you're using an in-universe software interface

Go back to UT99 where it's a clunky clone of Windows

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I just want game UIs to have centred weapons and centred facecam.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Every FPS should model its UI on that of Pathways into Darkness

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri had a cool in-game UI.

Pathways Into Darkness just makes me want to play Mordor.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One of the things that absolutely blew my mind about Half-Life was the binding of multiple weapons to a single number key. Thief and SS2 let you do something similar by letting you bind the same key to multiple things with modifiers, so, e.g., '1' could be the wrench, laser rapier, or crystal shard depending on which modifiers I pressed.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri had a cool in-game UI.

Hell yes it did. (And it was mostly a refinement of System Shock's, plus some reskinning to make it "the HUD projected by your battlesuit" rather than "the HUD written directly onto your optic nerve by your cybernetics".)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToxicFrog posted:

One of the things that absolutely blew my mind about Half-Life was the binding of multiple weapons to a single number key.

Descent 2 did the same thing, was forced into it really because it had at least 20 different weapons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ToxicFrog posted:

One of the things that absolutely blew my mind about Half-Life was the binding of multiple weapons to a single number key.

Isn't this how you access the SSG in Doom 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't this how you access the SSG in Doom 2?

No, you access the SSG with 3. Doomguy throws the regular shotgun away idk it never comes back I tried every button believe me