Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

It's a bit murkier than that. Steam versions of some older games do include a pre-configured Dosbox package for a lot of them, and some other minor tweaks here and there. So Steam does do a bit of legwork on getting games to run. But in general, yea, GOG is the way too go on these old games.

Valve does absolutely nothing and what work is done is entirely up to individual publishers, unlike GOG whose engineering team tend to work on compatibility issues when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also GOG employs human beings to help you if you can't get your game working and give you some tech support.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gog has good support forums it seems like too. Though in fairness , the issues they run across are probably more homogenized or something.

Steam support forums tend to have too many threads leading to nowhere, in my experience.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Lemon-Lime posted:

Valve does absolutely nothing and what work is done is entirely up to individual publishers, unlike GOG whose engineering team tend to work on compatibility issues when needed.

Yeah, that's why I'm always wary of buying older games on Steam, because I'm never certain if they're gonna work. In this case, I think it was just I bought Deathtrap Dungeon for cheap on Humble Bundle, and I just never got around to playing it until now.

The other nice thing is that GOG has a far more lenient return policy than Steam. I've not returned anything on GOG (I have on Steam), but they seem to offer more support.

For future reference, is there a thread or like a Discord server for troubleshooting old PC games?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Max Wilco posted:

The other nice thing is that GOG has a far more lenient return policy than Steam. I've not returned anything on GOG (I have on Steam), but they seem to offer more support.
You can’t return anything on GOG unless it straight-up doesn’t work and support can’t troubleshoot it for you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

For future reference, is there a thread or like a Discord server for troubleshooting old PC games?
:justpost: in the Retro Games subforum.

I have been thinking of making a thread there for general purpose PC game fixing, though. Maybe I'll write one up over the weekend.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

:justpost: in the Retro Games subforum.

I have been thinking of making a thread there for general purpose PC game fixing, though. Maybe I'll write one up over the weekend.

Then :justpost: one! If we redirect people having issues on various threads to it can catch some steam :haw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

chaosapiant posted:

It's a bit murkier than that. Steam versions of some older games do include a pre-configured Dosbox package for a lot of them, and some other minor tweaks here and there. So Steam does do a bit of legwork on getting games to run. But in general, yea, GOG is the way too go on these old games.

Often if Steam has old games properly configured, it's literally because they re-released on GOG first, got the appropriate love and care as part of that, and then it was all just carried over to Steam as-is.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lazyhound posted:

You can’t return anything on GOG unless it straight-up doesn’t work and support can’t troubleshoot it for you.
Except for in-development games, which have an unconditional 14-day return policy.

edit: unofficially, you might be able to beg and get your $ back for not-in-development/finished games if there's evidence you never downloaded them.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 3, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Then :justpost: one! If we redirect people having issues on various threads to it can catch some steam :haw:
Alright then.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

:qfg:

Thank you, Kins.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

doctorfrog posted:

Except for in-development games, which have an unconditional 14-day return policy.

edit: unofficially, you might be able to beg and get your $ back for not-in-development/finished games if there's evidence you never downloaded them.

When I bought shovel knight it didn't work, so I emailed them and got a refund. I tried the exe out of curiosity a few weeks later and it worked so I emailed them and the devs said to keep it, don't worry. Bought a copy for a friend and rebought the game because they were so chill about it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Got Obra Dinn in the last sale. Does anyone know if you can revisit scenes after you leave? Otherwise I'll have to enter shoe hell now.

Troutpack
Dec 29, 2008

He wants to watch him suffer.

genericnick posted:

Got Obra Dinn in the last sale. Does anyone know if you can revisit scenes after you leave? Otherwise I'll have to enter shoe hell now.

Yes. The only point of no return is getting back on the boat waiting on the starboard side (and even then you get another shot to get the perfect ending).
Edit: I'm guessing I misunderstood the question, but oh well.

Troutpack fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 10, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Jesus I finished the game and had zero idea the spoilered part was a thing until I googled it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Jesus I finished the game and had zero idea the spoilered part was a thing until I googled it

In the end I had to look up the ship's steward. I feel pretty dumb.
Deleting my shoe pix now.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 11, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, has anyone played Insomnia: the Ark? https://www.gog.com/game/insomnia_the_ark

Is it worth a look if I´m hankering for a sci-fi RPG and have no problem with reasonable levels of jank?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, has anyone played Insomnia: the Ark? https://www.gog.com/game/insomnia_the_ark

Is it worth a look if I´m hankering for a sci-fi RPG and have no problem with reasonable levels of jank?
have you tried that new disco rpg

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sylphosaurus posted:

How much does the RPG factor count?

https://www.gog.com/game/terminator_resistance

It's basically Fallout in Terminator. There's that civvie vid if you want to take a look, there are dialogues and skill points and crafting and some Bioware-ish ridiculous romance bits, and it actually seems more fun than the Beth games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

How much does the RPG factor count?

https://www.gog.com/game/terminator_resistance

It's basically Fallout in Terminator. There's that civvie vid if you want to take a look, there are dialogues and skill points and crafting and some Bioware-ish ridiculous romance bits, and it actually seems more fun than the Beth games.

It’s great in that Homefront Revolution way where it’s pretty janky (but to a tolerable extent) and way more fun than it has any right to be.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
GOG got the surge 2, wish I could've gotten it DRM free instead of getting on steam at release :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ilmucche posted:

GOG got the surge 2, wish I could've gotten it DRM free instead of getting on steam at release :(

You can always double dip when it's on sale.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

If you have GOG Galaxy 1.2 installed already, will installing GOG Galaxy 2.0 overwrite 1.2 without messing with your game installs or anything?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 2, 2020

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

It overwrites 1.2 but you shouldn't have to re-download anything. Installs should be fine but there are some things like launching game with command line parameters that aren't implemented yet.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I got OG Deus Ex for a dollar and it has gog achievements lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I tried to get into that game but it was ugly and kinda plodded along tbh

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I mean, it's 20 years old. Even though the System Shock games are pretty linear they take some time as well

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Statutory Ape posted:

What a shame.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Statutory Ape posted:

"Oh my god, JC, it plods"

"it plods?!"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"Plod with the Plod"

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Songbearer posted:

What a shame.

I was gonna go on a big old rant about why I disagree with their opinion, but yeah :emptyquote:

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Kikkoman posted:

I got OG Deus Ex for a dollar and it has gog achievements lol

Does it run on Mac

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
It doesn't run natively on Mac.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In all honesty at this point Deus Ex is only praised by a bunch of pretentious old men still playing "the best game in the world", but the world left them behind long ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

The first level is weird, because it’s a great level... when you know what you’re doing. It took me a while for it to click but once I was into the game I was into it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Man, I played the original Deus Ex after coming from Human Revolution (Deus Ex 3) and wanting to know more about this crazy series, it was sometime in 2012 or so. Sure it felt old and clunky, but goddamn, what a game. The fact something that was more than a decade old felt so fresh and fun amazed me. The atmosphere just kept me going with the story and characters being just the cherry on top.

It's nearly eight years later and I still think I'd enjoy playing it again given the chance, even with every new advance that has come in gaming since.

I never ended up playing the sequel with it being so divisive, but still want to give it a go at some point.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah same situation same end result, except i did end up playing invisible war

its not nearly as timeless because the story is kinda bad and they made the whole game a lot more streamlined in terms of mechanics

it doesnt stick out from all of the other fps games of the era, why play that when you could play red faction 2 or timesplitters or etc etc

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kanfy posted:

In all honesty at this point Deus Ex is only praised by a bunch of pretentious old men still playing "the best game in the world", but the world left them behind long ago.

Old men are the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My issue with Invisible War is that PC version on Steam or disc was a crashfest. I should get it on GOG next sale and try again.