Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If someone is a violent criminal who has been through the prison system, don't confine them in a small space. They don't react well. That's my main point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So this was quite entertaining. A good film in the grand tradition of idiot fuckups who just can't help themselves.

I wonder how much different the experience is for someone who was following the NBA in 2012. I assumed the whole time that there was gonna be an upset, the Celtics were gonna lose. It was quite suspenseful to see the final game. Of course, the bet winning but it not mattering was a fitting ending.

Julia Fox also did a really nice job.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 5, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly as someone who was following the NBA in 2012 I don’t remember that series at all. It was all about the LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat at that time who would end that era of the Celtics in the following round

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn’t really follow basketball in 2012 but I figured no way would KG costar in a movie about him blowing a series

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm a Celtics fan so I knew how the game turned out but of course couldn't remember if they got the tip off or KG got enough points/rebounds to cover the bet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm a Celtics fan so I knew how the game turned out but of course couldn't remember if they got the tip off or KG got enough points/rebounds to cover the bet.

Yeah that's the real suspenseful part of it. If it was all on the Celtics winning it wouldn't have had any tension--of course they beat that random 8-seed Sixers team that only got there because Derrick Rose was injured. But I feel like only a true Boston diehard would remember a statline for that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Pretty sure the guy sitting next to me was on some sort of party drug--he was just kinda sitting here with his eyes like dinner plates, doing one of these with his tongue.

He made it about 2 minutes in.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Finally got to this, what a ride. This should be a lock for a lot of the technical awards this year, especially sound - it's always chaotic, but nothing gets lost. You hear and understand every pressure flying at/around Howard at all times. Production design was also stellar. I like the bit in this GQ piece explaining that Howard is a guy whose tastes were crystallized 20 years ago, he bought everything he wanted in 1992 sometime around 2002. (My grandparents have the same NYC skyline mirror that Howard has in his office on their dining room wall, and it's been there for the last 30 years - and they live in the rural South, not the Tri-State Area. Distracted me quite a bit in the early scenes.)

I think every other person in my theater was at least 15-20 years older than me, and they audibly and loudly reacted twice - Right after opening the vestibule, of course, but also when Demany dumped Powerade in the fish tank. God, those old folks were absolutely HORRIFIED by that. Also, a group of women behind me were whispering "You know she's dead in there" "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" etc. the whole time Howard was walking through the empty apartment. I was thinking the same thing.

Metapod posted:

I'm betting my life on a tipoff

Legit thought for a second the movie was going to end with the Celtics not making the tip and Howard sitting there, looking at Arno and his goons behind glass, realizing he'd blown it on a prop bet and there's no other way out of that room. I mean, in a way, it did end like that, it just took a little while.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 6, 2020

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

JethroMcB posted:

Also, a group of women behind me were whispering "You know she's dead in there" "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" etc. the whole time Howard was walking through the empty apartment. I was thinking the same thing.

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that :v:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Heliotrope posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that :v:

I was thinking there'd be something too. So it's really nice that Julia kinda eschews a ton of movie mistress cliches. That's why I don't agree with that reading earlier in the thread where she was gonna double-cross Howard. She was a decent person doing what she needed to do.

Also, regarding Julia, I remember seeing a Twitter post saying how weirdly relatable her going by the people waiting in line at the club and sniping back at the people talking poo poo to her was, and I think that's another super impressive thing the movie does. It makes 2012, a year that doesn't seem like it should have a feel, actually have a feel.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

LesterGroans posted:

She was a decent person doing what she needed to do.
I've seen this take a couple of times in this thread and it just seems kind of inexplicable to me?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She was gonna gently caress the Weeknd until Howard interrupted them. She wasn't going to gently caress over Howard with the money but she was a mess and a hustler just like him. Getting a tat of your guy's name on your donk is not a sound mind move.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 6, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I cannot tell you the relief I felt after the entire movie climaxes when Adam Sandler is shot in the head. It was like Thank God finally someone did something.. I kept wondering the entire move do people like Sandler’s character actually exist in real life and how are they not in an institution or why would anyone do any sort of business or relationship with them.

This also made me hate Sandler more because dude is talented and did an awesome job of playing a complete character and made me hate him. He’s wasted so much of time and life doing lazy lovely rear end grifting movies. I wonder if he drew from within to play Howard or whatever.

I also really liked Julia Fox

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I saw Howard getting shot as something incredibly consonant with the collector's character. He's an older low-level criminal, so he's probably spent a good portion of his life inside. In prison you're sort of trained to respond to everything with aggression. You see this the whole movie. Psychologically, it's probably not that smart to confine a person who has been through that for hours and hours and hours. I thought that him shooting Howard was the most true to life point in the movie. He was fed up and didn't care about the job anymore. Everything after was opportunistic.

I think its important to also keep in mind that a lot of times when you owe criminals/mafia/mob money, it isnt so much about the actual money but the principal of honering the agreement with people who have no quams with murder and violent retaliation.

At that point in the movie, it did not matter that Howard was going to pay them, he continually disrespected and took advantage of their patience. He had to die even if he paid them, because they cant let it be known that they allow people to do this and get away with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you—it could be true as a long-term consequence that Howard would be hosed even if dealing with a calmer guy—but I have trouble viewing Phil's actions in the moment as a strategic PR move instead of a personal reaction based on feeling angry, aggrieved, and disrespected. He sitting in the booth stewing, not planning how best to manage the situation to maintain public perception of his criminal enterprise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah as I said in one my earlier posts there's no way he's getting away with it - same with whacking Arno being an irrational, angry action. There are cameras everywhere.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Im not even intending to imply there was some well thought out reasoning or "strategic PR" going through his head.

Its as simple as the level of disrespect reached an unforgivable point the second he locked them in that room and the money was absolutely a moot point of contention at that point.

It was a matter of honor.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you're a violent guy, I absolutely believe that getting locked in a cage for four hours would be enough to set you off.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

If you're a violent guy, I absolutely believe that getting locked in a cage for four hours would be enough to set you off.

NBA games are around 2.5

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

NBA games are around 2.5

I'll admit that I don't follow the NBA, but wouldn't a playoff game have more commercials, making it longer?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

He had them locked in there a while longer though I think. I mean KG had to actually make it to Boston for the game...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

I'll admit that I don't follow the NBA, but wouldn't a playoff game have more commercials, making it longer?

Probably. But longer than 3 is a lot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdxbBsShak

It's so weird seeing Benny Safdie talk normally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, the last line of the Wikipedia plot summary states It's implied that Phil and Nico will be killed.

Did I miss something? I know we hear the sirens, but didn’t pick up on anything that implied they would be killed. But maybe I blanked for a moment, or it’s someone’s reading into the zoom into the gem?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

EL BROMANCE posted:

So, the last line of the Wikipedia plot summary states It's implied that Phil and Nico will be killed.

Did I miss something? I know we hear the sirens, but didn’t pick up on anything that implied they would be killed. But maybe I blanked for a moment, or it’s someone’s reading into the zoom into the gem?

Did it change? Checking it right now, it states that they loot the store as the sound of sirens are heard in the distance but nothing about them getting killed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, it has. Did someone here change it since I posted that last night? Or just coincidence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Uncut_Gems&diff=934547105&oldid=934532637

The highlighted bit in the box at the top left shows what it said before. There was literally a 2 hour window in which that line existed, and I happened to be reading the entry during it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Phil and Nico dying in a shootout with the police wouldn’t surprise me at all, but that’s not the story of Uncut Gems.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I almost checked out in the first twenty minutes because all the constant chatter coming from everywhere. No movie has ever given me that kind of anxiety before.

One thing I noticed is that Howard could have come up with that $100k in a number of ways; he had so much stuff, jewelry, sports memorabilia, and was obviously keeping up his lavish lifestyle somehow. He was just so addicted to gambling that he thought he could put off Arno indefinitely because he only ever saw the next big score. He's constantly short-sighted, impulsive, and can't see past the immediate next thing to "win". Waiting months (was it over a year?) for the opal must have wrecked him, and I kind of suspect that - even though he was self-destructing way longer than this - most of his crash was caused by the anxiety over the opal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it took me most of the movie to realize no one is keeping Howie in debt but himself, and this snuck up on me as a revealing portrait of a man hopelessly addicted.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I almost checked out in the first twenty minutes because all the constant chatter coming from everywhere. No movie has ever given me that kind of anxiety before.

One thing I noticed is that Howard could have come up with that $100k in a number of ways; he had so much stuff, jewelry, sports memorabilia, and was obviously keeping up his lavish lifestyle somehow. He was just so addicted to gambling that he thought he could put off Arno indefinitely because he only ever saw the next big score. He's constantly short-sighted, impulsive, and can't see past the immediate next thing to "win". Waiting months (was it over a year?) for the opal must have wrecked him, and I kind of suspect that - even though he was self-destructing way longer than this - most of his crash was caused by the anxiety over the opal.

My favorite thing about Uncut Gems is the magical realism angle. There's just something about this opal that causes people to become obsessed with it. While KG is more obviously captivated by it, you're right that Howie is just as cursed by it as well.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pospysyl posted:

My favorite thing about Uncut Gems is the magical realism angle. There's just something about this opal that causes people to become obsessed with it. While KG is more obviously captivated by it, you're right that Howie is just as cursed by it as well.

https://twitter.com/findomearle/status/1213591748934610945

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1211418466273513472

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Am I the only one who think that this movie is pretty antisemitic? It kinda really bother me watching the entire movie that Adam Sandler was acting like what alt-right would think a Jew is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Luckyellow posted:

Am I the only one who think that this movie is pretty antisemitic? It kinda really bother me watching the entire movie that Adam Sandler was acting like what alt-right would think a Jew is.

You should look up the writer/directors sometime. Or check out the video of them I linked above.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Luckyellow posted:

Yes, the Jewish writers, directors and star of this movie are anti-Semites. God forbid a Jewish character ever be portrayed negatively in a movie.

I mean poo poo, what stereotypes does he even follow other than his profession? Getting yourself in massive debt with loan sharks and gambling to pay it off is the opposite of being a penny-pincher.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 8, 2020

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Adam's character screwed over his friends, coworkers, and family to accumulate even more money off property/money that didn't even belong to him in the first place. He even manipulates several black men. There are awfully lot of bad stereotypes in the movie.

I do get that it's about his gambling habits but it's also awfully close to being a bad stereotype.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
There's a fine line between authenticity and reinforcing coded racial signs and stereotypes and it is always bound to strike folks differently. A Serious Man underwent the same accusations but I found it to be so true to my experience growing up Jewish in the American frontier.

What I think helps vindicates the Safdies is their documentary-like discipline in expressing the truths of their home city. Their films are full of nonactors and yeah, they're creative decisions rooted in the age-old practice of typage but it breathes so much life into their movies.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes, the Jewish writers, directors and star of this movie are anti-Semites. God forbid a Jewish character ever be portrayed negatively in a movie.

I mean poo poo, what stereotypes does he even follow other than his profession? Getting yourself in massive debt with loan sharks and gambling to pay it off is the opposite of being a penny-pincher.

Seriously. Its the loving Safdies.

Howards shittyness in this film has literally nothing to do with him being Jewish and if youre making that connection Id say thats on you and not the filmmakers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
One thing before I go off: 106.7 on Long Island is and I believe never was The Rock; that's 94.3.

Can you not talk about movies without talking about how they're problematic? There's so many egregious examples out there, but this ain't one.

The Jewishness in this movie is almost universally portrayed positively. Aside from Arno (who I think married into the Jewish family?) everyone seems like a good person, and people who take their faith seriously. The Seder was authentic, if a little more ostentatious than I grew up with. Howard's Judiasm isn't portrayed badly, it isn't portrayed at all. He won't even participate in the Seder properly; they literally "pass over" him in the Seder reading until someone notices, don't they? All the Judiasm is portrayed as a sense of community, and it's that same thing that Howard took advantage of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Luckyellow posted:

Adam's character screwed over his friends, coworkers, and family to accumulate even more money off property/money that didn't even belong to him in the first place. He even manipulates several black men. There are awfully lot of bad stereotypes in the movie.

I do get that it's about his gambling habits but it's also awfully close to being a bad stereotype.

I get what you're saying but, following from what Kull the Conqueror posted, I feel like there needs to be some extra step to show either that Jewishness is shown in a derogative manner. After all, you wouldn't want to get into some weird position where merely depicting the Jews of the Diamond District is necessarily antisemitic. So yeah, Howard is a conniving, exploitative, double-dealing poo poo. But that's not because he's Jewish. And, again following Kull, this works because the Safdies build our trust with what they show us. Their film evidences a genuine knowledge and respect of Judaism, a respect of the Jewishness of the characters, and even a respect of Howard's Judaism. So even if Howard's a total shyster, that doesn't condemn the film.

And hell, even if I don't think Uncut Gems is this severe, even presenting ethnic stereotypes can work if the film makers are good enough to make a film that does it in a non-derogatory way. It's hard to do and most people who try fail, but it's there.