Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Captain von Trapp posted:

That's a pretty good example though. It was an explicit campaign promise, followed through on in the face of strong pressure. Reasonable people disagree on whether the JCPOA was a good deal, of course. But Trump is surprisingly consistent. He bullshits like breathing, but he he rarely backs down from policy as expressed on the campaign trail. It really is reasonable to believe that he doesn't want war and can be negotiated out of it. His stated red line is now on Twitter.

So we can do a game theory exercise: what's the most dramatic thing Iran can do that doesn't kill Americans? If that's what happens, great. (Comparatively.)

That's not an example of deescalation, that's destroying a deal without cause. Your point about campaign rhetoric is only relevant insofar as it shows that the US, as an entity, cannot make promises that one can rely on.

Also, why would Iranian leaders think that Trump negotiates in good faith? He "bullshits", as opposed to what, some esoteric honesty invisible to fools and contractors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Yes, a lot of his promises fail, because they are pants on head crazy. I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty right of center and therefore more willing to be optimistic about him than most around here, but reality is what it is. Still, I'm trying to keep my posts on current-war-events topic. In this case, how much he intends to stick with "no Iran war" is a fair topic to analyze. We'll find out soon enough.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The most interesting idea I've seen on this is that getting kicked out of Iraq would fulfill a campaign promise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

reality is what it is. Still, I'm trying to keep my posts on current-war-events topic.

Lies like this are easy to detect because of the quote function.

quote:

It was an explicit campaign promise, followed through on in the face of strong pressure. Reasonable people disagree on whether the JCPOA was a good deal, of course. But Trump is surprisingly consistent. He bullshits like breathing, but he he rarely backs down from policy as expressed on the campaign trail.

You are pretending, poorly, that you are only talking about the current crisis while defending political campaign talking points. Come on. Compared to other threads/forums, I stay away from political campaign talking points here. You can probably restrain yourself enough to do the same, but you have not done that thus far.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If Iran really wanted to get Trump flustered, they'd threaten his named properties.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I think it's kind of weird that bombing people is allowed under the laws of war but destroying a statue or whatever is not

Kinda like how full metal jacket bullets are okay to kill people with but killing them with a hollow point is a no-no.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

I think it's kind of weird that bombing people is allowed under the laws of war but destroying a statue or whatever is not

Kinda like how full metal jacket bullets are okay to kill people with but killing them with a hollow point is a no-no.

Made perfect sense to these guys!!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

The most interesting idea I've seen on this is that getting kicked out of Iraq would fulfill a campaign promise.

Basically the geopolitical equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That’s not a real thing, but is oft related as truth.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Deliberate targeting of monuments and historic sites is essentially trying to erase a culture from history - trying to kill an entire people instead of (or in addition to) killing an individual person.

The prohibition on expanding ammunition is founded on the idea that most solders are going to react to a hit by screaming MEDIC!, and leaving for medical treatment. As such, there is no need for the additional lethality that expanding ammunition provides, and it falls squarely into "if everyone uses it, the outcome of whatever war you're fighting won't change, it will just make things nastier for everyone" category.

It is also something of an anachronism - the drafters of the rule were reacting to black-powder lead projectiles that the British had modified for greater expansion. Lead bullets from black powder weapons already inflicted serious wounds (to the point where it is difficult to tell if experiments with explosive rifle ammunition during the American Civil War had any effect, as the wounds of even ordinary projectiles were horrific), so the expanding ones were just pointlessly cruel. There's a reasonable argument to make that the rule needs revising in the age of modern weapons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gnoman posted:

Deliberate targeting of monuments and historic sites is essentially trying to erase a culture from history - trying to kill an entire people instead of (or in addition to) killing an individual person.

Hot take: mass murder is just as bad as genocide.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Wel, blowing up monuments serves no military goal. Killing soldiers does. You are allowed to do all kinds of horrific things in the pursuit of defeating a military because that's what going to happen laws or not. What's generally forbidden is doing horrific things for shits and giggles and not actually weakening your opponent.

Off course I'm thinking about conventional war here, not the clusterfuck of the past few decades.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AlexanderCA posted:

Off course I'm thinking about conventional war here, not the clusterfuck of the past few decades.

I was ready to pile the VWCWG on you but you saved it at the end XD

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yes, a lot of his promises fail, because they are pants on head crazy. I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty right of center and therefore more willing to be optimistic about him than most around here, but reality is what it is. Still, I'm trying to keep my posts on current-war-events topic. In this case, how much he intends to stick with "no Iran war" is a fair topic to analyze. We'll find out soon enough.

Weren't you arguing the Iran deal was bad several months ago? Has the fact that the US seems teetering on the edge of war with Iran convinced you that your past position was in error?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OK, draw a line under this and move on. This thread veers over into foreign / military policy poo poo pretty often but we're now off of that kind of thing and into trump domestic policy bullshit. If you want to talk about that D&D is over there.

If something dramatic happens (as in, really dramatic like poo poo blowing up, not tweets and controversy) then maybe we'll swing back around, but for now go back to arguing about whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.
False dichotomy. The F4 looks good no matter what.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

...but for now go back to arguing about whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.

Both answers are wrong.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RAF Tiger meet!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

but for now go back to arguing about whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.

How about an F4 with your anime waifu painted on it?

Or an anime waifu called F4 phantom?

Or even better, an F4 AND an anime waifu?

Why do we have to be restrictive here?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 5, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Film of the first me262 flight in a while.

I knew this was being worked on but didn’t know they’d flown it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FA1yCfz9s4

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano I fear you may have inadvertently set the thread down a dark path...

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
edit: nvm

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm legit bummed we never got the Show-Within-A-Show from Shirobako where a bunch of young women were piloting jet fighters in some grimdark war setting that reminds me of the Ace Combat games.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

priznat posted:

RAF Tiger meet!

Right colours, wrong plane!:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photographybyclarescott/9249749107

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Daymn that's sexxy. There are a heck of a lot of really cool tiger meet paint jobs.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

F-5/T-38 is the miata of warplanes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Anime is the worst.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dante80 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?
Why is she called F-4 and moreover why is the other person saying she should be scrapped or whatever?
What the gently caress is this I don't like it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

but for now go back to arguing about whether the F4 is prettier in USN heritage paint schemes or Japanese anime waifu ones.

I misread that as F14 for a moment and suddenly wanted to see a Tomcat painted up in the blue JASDF scheme.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Were there any full crazy f14 paint schemes? I think I’ve only seen tail paint and a little flair around the cockpit or a line or something.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Film of the first me262 flight in a while.

I knew this was being worked on but didn’t know they’d flown it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FA1yCfz9s4

What was the flight time on one of those things? 30 minutes?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

A.o.D. posted:

What was the flight time on one of those things? 30 minutes?

A bit more than that, imagine an interceptor, it has to spool up on the ground, gently caress off really fast and then land again, so even at base the engines can't nuke themselves for a couple of hours. Wikipedia says the the Junkers Jumo 004 engine could run for 50 hours, but I don't really trust Wikipedia when it comes to that kind of figure.

btw, I think you might be thinking of the rocket interceptor, that flew for like 7 minutes max flight time. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone doing a reenactment of one of those, bit too explosive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

A bit more than that, imagine an interceptor, it has to spool up on the ground, gently caress off really fast and then land again, so even at base the engines can't nuke themselves for a couple of hours. Wikipedia says the the Junkers Jumo 004 engine could run for 50 hours, but I don't really trust Wikipedia when it comes to that kind of figure.

btw, I think you might be thinking of the rocket interceptor, that flew for like 7 minutes max flight time. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone doing a reenactment of one of those, bit too explosive.

That's the right number. You have to remember that's total flight time before overhaul. As in 50 hours in the air and then you need to break the engine down completely to service the whole thing, replace consumables, etc. Not just normal maintenance, an overhaul.

That's . . . not good. Time before overhaul hours under 1000 is considered pretty bad these days. IIRC most civilian turbojets are in the 2k ballpark.

I don't know the max flight time of the 262, but the max range was about 650 miles.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Where's everyone itt going to discuss the Iran thing now that itt is out? GIP current events thread or somewhere in D&D / CSPAM?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

When the Chinese got the plans for the SU-27 engine from Russia, their versions had a 30 hour run time as compared to 300 hours for the Russian one due to manufacturer issues.

Having the plans and building the items are two different things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Where's everyone itt going to discuss the Iran thing now that itt is out? GIP current events thread or somewhere in D&D / CSPAM?

There's a mid east thread in D&D that's 100% about it right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839774&pagenumber=435#lastpost

If you want something a bit less structured the CSPAM Trump thread is also pretty much all Iran right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908676&pagenumber=415#lastpost

There's also a dedicated "watch trump start a loving war" thread in CSPAM - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843826

If GiP is more your speed their current events thread is looking pretty hard at it right now too - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908776&pagenumber=23#lastpost

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a mid east thread in D&D that's 100% about it right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839774&pagenumber=435#lastpost

If you want something a bit less structured the CSPAM Trump thread is also pretty much all Iran right now - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908676&pagenumber=415#lastpost

There's also a dedicated "watch trump start a loving war" thread in CSPAM - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843826

If GiP is more your speed their current events thread is looking pretty hard at it right now too - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908776&pagenumber=23#lastpost

Thanks!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Hexyflexy posted:

I don't think we'll be seeing anyone doing a reenactment of one of those, bit too explosive.

I believe somebody build one as a glider.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dante80 posted:

How about an F4 with your anime waifu painted on it?

Or even better, an F4 AND an anime waifu?

Why do we have to be restrictive here?

Ban this filth tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

When the Chinese got the plans for the SU-27 engine from Russia, their versions had a 30 hour run time as compared to 300 hours for the Russian one due to manufacturer issues.

Having the plans and building the items are two different things.

I don't get how China can do all the manufacturing for iPhones and Macbooks when they can't get their jet engines done right. Do they have the capability, just lacking the economic will? Or are they actually different processes (forging vs machining? metallurgy?)