Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Is there a Survivor off-season thread? I binged Gabon and Tocantins and now I'm in pre-merge Cagayan.

Tocantins had a cool auction concept where the "big prize", instead of an advantage, was a loved ones visit. Also lmao that Coach's loved one was his assistant coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Congrats you found the offseason thread

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I wonder what Dan's audition tape was like https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/25/dan-spilo-survivor-audition-tape-kicked-off-inappropriate-touching/

quote:

The tape features various interviews from his clients, one of which is an actress who calls him "polarizing" and a "walking contradiction," but then insists he'll make for good TV.

Actress Merrin Dungey's refers to Dan as a "black badass" and adds ... "Black lives matter, yes, but so does Dan Spilo. He matters." She later tells CBS it would be lucky to have him.

Then there's a scene where Dan jokingly berates his assistant for barging in to let him know Les Moonves is on the phone ... Moonves stepped down from CBS after several women accused him of sexual misconduct, which he's denied.

It ends with more testimonials from actors Jared Padalecki and Alan Ritchson, and another actress states that Spilo "never takes no for an answer, and he fights until he gets what he wants."

Ah, I see

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:yowie:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I need to find that audition tape and I need to watch that audition tape.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is Survivor sponsored by Asics?
Whenever there's a close up of people's shoes, they're usually Asics.

At least in many past seasons

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Elphiem posted:

If so they're missing an amazing opportunity for publicity - like Sia, they could give out an Asics Favourite Player award of a free pair of shoes on the live final. Instant (and low-cost) commercial seen by over 6 million viewers.
Appleby's also missed out; they could have awarded Karishma a small prize, been on the Finale and got in a free plug too. Way cheaper than buying an ad on CBS.

In other Survivor fiscal opportunity news, Dean is auctioning off the underwear he wore on the show. Last time I looked bid was over $700.

I don't understand people.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 26, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't seen the past 3-5 seasons because they got too samey. Decided to drop in and watch this one. Overall I enjoyed it, but there is still just too much that frustrates me. They aren't surviving much anymore. Over the years they slowly gave them more and more food, but I think that helped make it worse and worse. I want to see people starving and rail-thin and eating huge slugs. Showing up at challenges barely able to walk because they're dehydrated and malnourished because no one on their team knows how to catch a fish or boil water. The tropical island stuff has become annoying. Put them back out in the plains of Africa again surrounded by thorn barriers so the lions dont eat their faces, put them up in an icy mountain to freeze their balls off. Or maybe in the middle of a fall->winter changeover in a mountain valley or somewhere in the swiss alps. The immunity idols are kinda useless if people have figured out when they appear, and now that they can be countered its even more useless. Just get rid of em.

I guess go back to basics, and a change of scenery?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t care to see people suffering because it doesn’t do anything for strategy or socializing. It’s just people with no energy sitting around doing the easy vote.

Bring back gross food eating challenges though.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
They actually have been giving them significantly less food and clothing since season 36 which is why a bunch of recent seasons have a bit at the 2/3rds mark where the players have to negotiate with Jeff for more rice and why they're also still shivering in their wet dirty underwear on Day 38 instead of bathing suits. I don't really know why they're doing this or who it's supposed to entertain, I guess that one poster above?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s whatever, although remember that kid that you could see his heart through his ribcage in the last few seasons? That was pretty gross.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mancalamania posted:

They actually have been giving them significantly less food and clothing since season 36 which is why a bunch of recent seasons have a bit at the 2/3rds mark where the players have to negotiate with Jeff for more rice and why they're also still shivering in their wet dirty underwear on Day 38 instead of bathing suits. I don't really know why they're doing this or who it's supposed to entertain, I guess that one poster above?

The no bathing suits is because of Tyler Perry, who suggested it. (It's not a good change.)

It's also why the last two wins have been kind of a hilarious middle finger to production in different ways. A (fairly vanilla) pre-merge boot won EoE instead of their fan favourite Joe or the camera showman Rick, and then this season someone with no idols or advantages or 'game lessons' from their handpicked coaches wins over someone with a bunch of fancy toys and souvenirs.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s whatever, although remember that kid that you could see his heart through his ribcage in the last few seasons? That was pretty gross.

Yeah, I don't need to see that level of undernourishment again in regular seasons.

Even with production giving them more rice than in the OG days, we still get to see them lose 20 pounds and be agitated/stupid from less food than they're used to.

But if they ever do a socio-economic tribe division, I would love to see the upper class starve. Maybe that could be a spin off show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zesty posted:

I don’t care to see people suffering because it doesn’t do anything for strategy or socializing. It’s just people with no energy sitting around doing the easy vote.

I'm the opposite, I love watching them be miserable in the rain but eating bug stuff I hate. I think it's because I can imagine and even respect going through lovely weather or a challenge that's physically rough. I can't imagine Fear Factor level, like drinking a jar of pig blood with worms in it or whatever. I'm not exactly grossed out, but I also kind of can't imagine consuming some of that stuff without puking.

Bugs are fine though because people should be eating bugs anyway

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Elphiem posted:

It's a good question. I would guess that maybe they would have a company provide something like shoes to the players to avoid advertising brands that are not paying CBS to be advertised. But you would think Asics would do a little bit extra to draw attention to it as well.

Honestly can recall any players wearing much branded clothing, but that would probably be weird to focus on so I dunno.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

AWarmBody posted:

But if they ever do a socio-economic tribe division, I would love to see the upper class starve. Maybe that could be a spin off show.

They did that for Season 30. The white collars did okay but the blue collars kind of ran away with it if I recall correctly. I think there was one member from each original tribe in the finals though.

Note: it was a no good very bad season.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 27, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I haven't seen the past 3-5 seasons because they got too samey. Decided to drop in and watch this one. Overall I enjoyed it, but there is still just too much that frustrates me. They aren't surviving much anymore. Over the years they slowly gave them more and more food, but I think that helped make it worse and worse. I want to see people starving and rail-thin and eating huge slugs. Showing up at challenges barely able to walk because they're dehydrated and malnourished because no one on their team knows how to catch a fish or boil water. The tropical island stuff has become annoying. Put them back out in the plains of Africa again surrounded by thorn barriers so the lions dont eat their faces, put them up in an icy mountain to freeze their balls off. Or maybe in the middle of a fall->winter changeover in a mountain valley or somewhere in the swiss alps. The immunity idols are kinda useless if people have figured out when they appear, and now that they can be countered its even more useless. Just get rid of em.

I guess go back to basics, and a change of scenery?
You should check out Naked and Afraid XL. Small groups meet up and then need to work together to survive and get to the end so there is a social aspect.to the competition.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Propaganda Machine posted:

They did that for Season 30. The white collars did okay but the blue collars kind of ran away with it if I recall correctly. I think there was one member from each original tribe in the finals though.

Note: it was a no good very bad season.

Yikes. I forgot the Worlds Apart premise.

I remember hating it at the time because "no collar" tribe had a law student from San Francisco, which probably meant she was loaded compared to other players....on the same tribe with a guy who sells coconuts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The No Collar tribe wasn't well put together because Nina was pretty much a White Collar, hence she... really did not fit in well at all.

But they've done some questionable groupings in a lot of these themed seasons (hi Alecia in Koah Rong).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
ISTR that they put together groups, then tried to figure out a theme.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of assumed that Nina was on the outs due to her hearing impairment and age. As for Hali, that was weird and this may not be the case with her but I do know activist lawyers, especially regarding LGBT issues, who I'd probably call more no collar than white collar. Law is an extensive field, you know?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zesty posted:

"Gross" food challenges are kinda lovely because it's usually just stuff other cultures eat and it is kinda insulting to those cultures.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jose Valasquez posted:

"Gross" food challenges are kinda lovely because it's usually just stuff other cultures eat and it is kinda insulting to those cultures.

they should eat gross food from american culture like those 60s gelatins with raisins and marshmallows in them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think joe rogan's making people guzzle gallons of animal jizz is when the gross food challenge was permanently laid to bed. It's the logical extreme conclusion of the notion of consuming disgusting plant or animal products and even someone as lovely as joe rogan is like "this is too far." I don't think we are ever getting gross food challenges back into the mainstream, if you really need to see that, I know a dude on youtube who eats like decades expired MREs that's a bit more wholesome.

What there is room for is more delicious food challenges, and I'm not talking about eric sucking chocolate off lady fingers. Bring on more pig challenges! Two delicious roasts, skin cooked to cripsy perfection and score to expose the tender rendering fat and juicy meat. Add in X hungry survivors and a challenge based on ripping delicious meat to spit into a bucket where nobody can enjoy it. Peak survivor food challenge.

~~Shame there's not a good clip, I wonder if CBS nukes little specific clips or if just nobody cared to clip it~~

Well here's the clip, in realplayer tier quality so you're kind of missing the details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNd5otNCA5Y

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 28, 2019

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Binary Logic posted:

You should check out Naked and Afraid XL. Small groups meet up and then need to work together to survive and get to the end so there is a social aspect.to the competition.

For anyone that's not familiar with it, I'll just reiterate that Naked and Afraid XL is great. It's way better than normal N&A because it follows the same cast over the whole season instead of different people every episodes, and it's all "returnees" from the normal show, which mostly filters out people who can't hack it.

Also you get to see a dude successfully hunt african game with a bow and arrow (for once) which is hard core.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
I've never really seen N&A, I always thought the XL version was fat people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is XL streaming anywhere?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is anyone watching The Circle on Netflix?

Also I 2nd watching Naked and Afraid XL. I have only watched the first season, but it was loving awesome.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Is XL streaming anywhere?

They're on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=naked+and+afraid+xl&page=&utm_source=opensearch

SalTheBard posted:

Is anyone watching The Circle on Netflix?

Also I 2nd watching Naked and Afraid XL. I have only watched the first season, but it was loving awesome.
Blasted through first 4 episodes of The Circle with a fair bit of fast forwarding. First episode I was hating actually that's too strong, uninterested in most of the cast but by the 4th, they're settled down and (mostly) more genuine while also playing strategically.
Capped that listening to a RHAP roundtable podcast that was entertaining.

It's okay filler and has a short season. You spend a lot of time watching people in separate rooms sending and reading text messages.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I thought about going out for The Circle but had a non-compete from another show. I'll probably apply if netflix US orders a second season, seems like it would at least be a good time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lmao of course the one place I didn't check

Edit: welp 1 episode into season 4 and this is goddamn amazing

Some of these people make Big Wendy look like a genius

precision fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 4, 2020

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Big Wendy was a genius :colbert:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the Naked and Afraid XL suggestion. Hulu has it streaming. We started last night and the first episode was a "preview" episode so I skipped it after being annoyed. Second episode was okay, but people kind of annoyed me. Third episode holy poo poo I hate nearly everyone as they're all sociopaths stuck together and I was an inch from deciding to not watch any further. Fourth episode okay not everyone is a total rear end in a top hat, and some people are actually normal and worth watching. Looking forward to watching more tonight with the wife as it left off with enough of craziness cliffhangerons.

Sorry for the derail!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s some really nutso people on naked and afraid. Which shouldn’t surprise you since they are just doing it to be on TV and there’s no prize.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how terrible all their tattoos are

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I briefly got really into Naked and Afraid in the same way I was briefly into Doomsday Preppers and Bar Rescue. Some shameful part of me that gets amused watching really broken people suffer but try and make the best of it or something.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:siren: 4 million dollars :siren:

https://twitter.com/SandraDTwine/status/1213593341562097664

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pre-taping the S40 finale already?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

I briefly got really into Naked and Afraid in the same way I was briefly into Doomsday Preppers and Bar Rescue. Some shameful part of me that gets amused watching really broken people suffer but try and make the best of it or something.

Stac sometimes I feel like you and I are the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Philthy posted:

Thanks for the Naked and Afraid XL suggestion. Hulu has it streaming. We started last night and the first episode was a "preview" episode so I skipped it after being annoyed. Second episode was okay, but people kind of annoyed me. Third episode holy poo poo I hate nearly everyone as they're all sociopaths stuck together and I was an inch from deciding to not watch any further. Fourth episode okay not everyone is a total rear end in a top hat, and some people are actually normal and worth watching. Looking forward to watching more tonight with the wife as it left off with enough of craziness cliffhangerons.

Sorry for the derail!

"Thanks for the Naked and Afraid XL suggestion."

Then proceeds to poo poo all over the show. I don't get it