Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Question. I'm daydreaming future house stuff, one of the absolute requirements is that it's at least a two bedroom, one bedroom to be used for my partner's office. He works from home 4-5 days a week, it will be amazing for him to have his own space with a door. It may also be a guest bedroom 3-4 times a year, with guests staying no more then 4 or so days. Would it be better to get a nice sofa bed, or a legit queen size bed?

I mean, yes, ideally it would be best for the office and guest bed to be separate, but we only have so much money to work with, and most of the homes I'm seeing in our price range are 2b/1br.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Question. I'm daydreaming future house stuff, one of the absolute requirements is that it's at least a two bedroom, one bedroom to be used for my partner's office. He works from home 4-5 days a week, it will be amazing for him to have his own space with a door. It may also be a guest bedroom 3-4 times a year, with guests staying no more then 4 or so days. Would it be better to get a nice sofa bed, or a legit queen size bed?

I mean, yes, ideally it would be best for the office and guest bed to be separate, but we only have so much money to work with, and most of the homes I'm seeing in our price range are 2b/1br.

I'm almost on the same boat as you and I was thinking of putting up a singles bed in my eventual office instead. Sofa beds are almost universally trash as beds IME as well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've been wondering what to do to actually have a spare bedroom, since both guest rooms in my house are being used as offices. A queen bed would take up nearly the whole room. One thought would be to buy or have a custom made Murphy bed that is 99% of the time folded up out of the way.

Could that be an option for you? If I search on my local Craigslist furniture for sale section there appears to be one or two carpenters who makes Murphy beds with some built in book shelves or cabinets to go along with them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

A day bed is a nice middle ground between sofa bed/ real bed if a bed for 1 person is sufficient.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Murphy beds are still real beds with mattresses but they go away into wall when you want more floor space. They’re a pain to fold away every day but if you ate gonna vacate the “office” for a week and only fold it down once when guests arrive it is a great solution.

Some of them even turn into pretty usable shelves when folded up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Our friends and relatives are weirdly exclusively couples. Gotta be at least a queen.

Murphy Bed might do it, but budget is a constraint. I was hoping to be all in for the piece at about 2k. in my fantasy sims 3 house that i have not found or bought yet.

Also, I'd like him to be able to have a nice office couch or armchair/ottoman, he loves an afternoon nap.

Right this second he's working out of a 4th hand secretary hutch I got for 20 dollars, my working man needs an upgrade.

\/\/\/ Yeah, that's the issue. So it's desk/bed cramped, or desk/sofabed potentially cranky guests. But in my experience, a good mattress topper works wonders.\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 5, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't know how realistic all of those things are in one room. My "spare bedroom" and office has a queen bed in it as well as two desks (that I sit in between - basically a computer desk and a work bench) and it's fine. Putting much else in that room other than the luggage holder thing at the foot of the bed would be quite cramped. Room is 12x12. Don't forget the realities of things like the door to the room, closet door(s) and window(s) restricting the layout.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Seems like a Murphy/wall bed would be the perfect solution here. My 30 second Google tells me Bestar makes highly rated wall beds. Costco's got one for $1400 which looks pretty nice to me. Doesn't include the mattress: https://www.costco.com/bestar-audrea-queen-wall-bed-in-white.product.100118470.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's not clear how a murphy bed solves much of anything. It's not like a desk and sofa are things that are going to be easily moved and stored elsewhere when the bed is pulled down. And if there's room with the bed down why bother with a murphy bed at all? What will that space be used for when it's up that is temporary and movable enough?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I sleep in a Murphy bed when I visit my parents, and close it up every morning because that room has another use during the day - its used as an office for a physical therapy practice. My parents Murphy bed also has a desk that folds down when the bed is not in use.

It's not that much work if you're used to it and set up for it. I also sleep on a Japanese style futon at home and clean it up every morning.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 5, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lots of people in lots of different countries use transforming furniture to double up rooms. They unfold them and told them up every day. It's not an insurmountable task.

It will probably be a heavier lift to fill a room with non-transforming furniture and then add a transformer on top of that, though.

It's hard because it sounds like the room will need to be an office 99% of the time and a guest room 1% of the time, but you really want that 1% to be available. I think the most straightforward solution would be a dual purpose transformer, eg a couch that can be temporarily a bed. There's gotta be some options that aren't completely terrible. Even a futon with a storable topper is workable for a few nights.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If your friends are all young/able-bodied you could put a loft bed over the desk :v:

Seriously though a fold away bed solves only one half of the issue, I can't imagine a desk that folds away would give you enough space or be a good enough desk the rest of the time. Can you get a day bed that starts as a single and expand to a double or queen when needed, you might need to make some part of the office furniture portable to make enough space around it.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Chaos energy option (and also what I do in my home): set up my rooms the way that suits me, and spend a decent amount of cash on a good air mattress with a topper that lives in the rooms closet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just throw some straw on the floor when you have guests.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just throw some straw on the floor when you have guests.

That only works for dads, and I only got one of those

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Our friends and relatives are weirdly exclusively couples. Gotta be at least a queen.

Murphy Bed might do it, but budget is a constraint. I was hoping to be all in for the piece at about 2k. in my fantasy sims 3 house that i have not found or bought yet.

Also, I'd like him to be able to have a nice office couch or armchair/ottoman, he loves an afternoon nap.

Right this second he's working out of a 4th hand secretary hutch I got for 20 dollars, my working man needs an upgrade.

\/\/\/ Yeah, that's the issue. So it's desk/bed cramped, or desk/sofabed potentially cranky guests. But in my experience, a good mattress topper works wonders.\/\/\/

I'm new to the thread so I don't know if mentioning Ikea is probatable but I have an Ikea sleeper sofa in my office and it does drat fine work as both. I use it regularly as a couch and when my parents visited, my wife and I slept on it for two weeks and it was low to the ground but otherwise totally fine. I think it was about $700 and it still looks decent after ~7 years. I can't find our model anymore on the website unfortunately but a platform pulls out of the front and the couch cushions fold down onto wooden slats, the mattress is basically folded in half in couch mode and then you sleep the same direction as you would if just napping on the couch normally (between the armrests) so there aren't weird metal bars supporting your weight perpendicular to your body.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not that it's necessarily a lot smaller, but a full bed should be plenty for a guest room.

I get couples wanting a bigger bed for everyday use but you are far from obligated to use up your limited space or budget marginally increasing their comfort on a theoretical future visit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Install a sunken bed. Just cover it with planks (such as the off cuts from the floor joists you have to saw) and a nice carpet when not in use. Female guests in particular will love it!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yeah, I don’t understand why the bed needs to be a queen. A double is fine for visiting guests.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Murphy bed, or a sofa bed and a thick memory foam mattress topper for the few occasions it’s ever pressed into duty as a bed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly a high end air mattress should be more than enough unless maybe you expect elderly or handicapped guests that couldn't use it easily

Or huge fat people I guess

Or cats

Nevermind

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What about huge elderly cats?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have the same deal, with a room that's 95% used as an office. Ended up with one of these things from Ikea, it's a single day bed but you can extend it out into a double. Works well and doesn't use up too much office space.

https://www.ikea.com/ch/en/p/flekke-day-bed-w-2-drawers-2-mattresses-white-malfors-medium-firm-s09129942/

I definitely wouldn't get a sofa bed, they make lovely beds and it's not like anyone needs an audience for their days driving Excel.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
No, but having a sofa or other comfy chair in your office gives you somewhere else to sit and read that’s not in front of computer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Bloop posted:

Honestly a high end air mattress should be more than enough unless maybe you expect elderly or handicapped guests that couldn't use it easily

I think this is a great option.

I’m having work done on my house right now, so I’ve been sleeping on a high end airbed for a bit (self inflates, 3 firmness levels, same height as a normal bed on a box spring. ).

With a topper, it far preferable to any sofa bed I’ve slept on, packs down small and is UK king size.

I’ll keep it around in future for the exact same use-case as you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If you don’t want a comfy seat in your office, then yes do that. It’ll take up the least room and will be the best for sleeping on.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That’s downright embarrassing to have family stay at your house that are aged over 40 and you bust out an air mattress.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

there wolf posted:

Anyone ever seen a curved front door before?

That's awesome.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well then that family can chip in 100k for a down payment on a bigger house or they can shut the gently caress up. v:shobon:v

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

That’s downright embarrassing to have family stay at your house that are aged over 40 and you bust out an air mattress.

They know where the hotels are. :shrug: I do the same thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Dave posted:

A good air mattress is a lot better than a lovely bed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Guests sleep on futons. If someone needs a real bed because they have bad knees, we give them our bed for the week.

Every sofa bed I've ever used was a 15-year-old salvage. I'm ready to believe that recent productions are less terrible. That IKEA couch with trundle looks good.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 5, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

:thermidor:

Seriously though gently caress that. If they need six mattresses so they can't feel the pea, they can bring themselves straight to the Trump hotel instead of staying in my office

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does Ikea sell kitchen sofas?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://resourcefurniture.com/product-tag/queen-transforming-bed-systems-transforming-furniture/

This place has lots of queen murphy beds that can turn into desks or sofas when folded up.

They’re more like $2500+ but look like good quality.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This is why I refuse to house relatives in the first place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does Ikea sell kitchen sofas?

Ektorp in Lingbo. It is impossible to see a stain on that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Ektorp in Lingbo. It is impossible to see a stain on that.

That's just a regular sofa.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Store the guest bed

In the ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Transforms easily from bedroom to office