Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pirate Jet posted:

Honestly it's the way he spins after he hits the propeller that makes me laugh so hard.

I got shushed when I laughed at Trinity dying in Matrix 3 in the theater.

The way that they start that in a tight two shot and then cut away for the reveal to show her impaled with a, for lack of a better term comical, amount of debris is the kind of visual move that reads like comedy even when it's intended dead serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pirate Jet posted:

How could you not laugh? She spends like five minutes dying, for God's sake.

Gonz posted:

I laughed out loud when the guy fell off the ship and his head went DOOOOOIIIIIIING on the propeller.

Let’s be pals.

I haven't seen Titanic in years, so I don't recall this.

I suppose I now have a reason to find it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gonz posted:

I laughed out loud when the guy fell off the ship and his head went DOOOOOIIIIIIING on the propeller.

Let’s be pals.

That poo poo is hilarious

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1213084983738413058?s=20

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
drat Once Upon a Time in the West is a helluva picture. Haven’t watched it in total since i was like 16, but I’ve watched the opening sequence many times.

Now to do In America

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Timby posted:

I haven't seen Titanic in years, so I don't recall this.

I suppose I now have a reason to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4JSTXuP9E

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Pirate Jet posted:

Honestly it's the way he spins after he hits the propeller that makes me laugh so hard.

Trinity dying caused my first depressive episode. RIP queen.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I have an unironic love of Gone with the Wind for being a gorgeous sweeping epic, but man do I cackle like an idiot every time Bonnie Blue eats poo poo on that horse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was crying from laughter when I saw Suicide Squad on opening weekend in a packed theatre. I just couldn't handle the bad 1992-era Peaceful Warrior poo poo from El Diablo culminating in him channeling his rage to become a 10 foot tall aztec flame skeleton.

God, that poo poo still cracks me up at how loving low key racist it came off.

The only thing that could have made it better was if he was able to summon a flaming lo-rider of some kind and pulled out akimbo glocks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m still flabbergasted that this was a running gag in a movie that came out within the past five years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DRGW83Zyo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ruddiger posted:

I’m still flabbergasted that this was a running gag in a movie that came out within the past five years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DRGW83Zyo

Ant-man is the worst MCU film by a country mile.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Actually it’s Age of Ultron, but Ant-Man and the Wasp is easily second place.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Haven't seen Ant-Man and people never talk much about it, why is it so bad?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

YaketySass posted:

IMO Ant-Man 1 ain’t bad but 2 is so incompetently made. Awful editing, awful direction, flat cinematography, the writing really feels like they weren’t planning on Civil War happening.

And as a smaller nitpick, I hate how they keep retconning The Quantum Realm. Janet’s original fate of being forced to shrink forever was horrifying, made her sacrifice more meaningful, and if they were gonna make 2 about saving her then that would’ve been an actually cool scenario. You gotta catch up to where she is size-wise, and then match her rate of shrinking, and then fix her suit, and that’d be a cool set piece! But now it’s just some alternate dimension bullshit. And then they add nonsense time travel poo poo to it for Endgame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron and Thor 2 are right there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron and Thor 2 are right there.

I can remember things I liked from all of those. Ant Man has nothing going for it, unless seeing Paul Rudd's face in frame is enough to get you through a movie.

YaketySass posted:

It's super boring and has the most generic villain possible, and its overt attempts at comedy are mistimed and lifeless and go on for way too long. The funniest thing in the movie is the toy train thing that's in the trailer, and it's better edited in the trailer.

This was once an edgar wright film, and now it's just this lifeless husk with a shiny outfit. And some people will gladly claim they're happy he got the boot because his version of the script had fewer scenes where Evangeline Lily complains a lot and doesn't do anything.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 5, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.caligulammxx.com (possibly :nws: )

E. Elias Merhige (director of Begotten and Shadow of the Vampire) is supervising a reconstruction of Tinto Brass' Caligula meant to resemble the original Gore Vidal screenplay. All the original camera negatives and trims were found not long ago.

I haven't seen the versions on video, but this seems like an interesting project.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Subscribed to that mailing list for sure. All 96 hours of footage being found is insane.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

The first time I realized I had a dark sense of humor was when Leo sinks in Titanic. I was in the theater and started laughing because in my head, Rose letting him sink after saying "I'll never let go" made me think she lost grip.

This is why the terrorists hate us.

Gonz posted:

Let’s be pals.

Oh man. I was also saying to my sister "Why did she just let him go? She said she wouldn't let go?".

I have found my people.

Timby posted:

How could you not laugh? She spends like five minutes dying, for God's sake.

When that movie came out I saw it with my friend and his brother. So as that scene was dragging on I hear the brother do that loud whisper thing "Just die!". We cracked up, this was also the best thing about that lovely movie.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Wow im learning im not alone in laughing at both propeller AND “i’ll never let you go”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

My sister still thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for laughing at the scene in Titanic where the guy jumps off the ship and bounces off the huge propeller. I was like ten years old at the time. In fairness to her I was laughing hysterically while everyone in the theater was crying.

I was definitely the only one laughing in the theater during the scene in The Host when the family is all meeting in the gymnasium after the daughter is presumed dead and they all start sadfighting.

edit: in middle school we went on a field trip to see Ghandi as a class and got in trouble because one kid laughed when he got shot.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 5, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So uh, remember how there was a discussion about how people here didn't like Chris Pratt? t

https://twitter.com/JohnDoe72457817/status/1213174349743710208?s=20

No idea how true this is but that's pretty damning accusations

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

So uh, remember how there was a discussion about how people here didn't like Chris Pratt? t

https://twitter.com/JohnDoe72457817/status/1213174349743710208?s=20

No idea how true this is but that's pretty damning accusations

A sanctimonious Jesus freak was involved in the abuse of a minor? I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS!

edit: I couldn't get far far into that article and gave up reading it pretty fast. I'd recommend that anyone who is sensitive to stories like this should probably not read the article.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

A sanctimonious Jesus freak was involved in the abuse of a minor? I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS!

It was at a party at his house, (which is bad) but he wasn't really involved. The closest the author can do to tie him to child molestation is pointing out Pratt defended James Gunn when right wing assholes dredged up a bunch of old tweets containing jokes about pedophilia.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It was at a party at his house, (which is bad) but he wasn't really involved. The closest the author can do to tie him to child molestation is pointing out Pratt defended James Gunn when right wing assholes dredged up a bunch of old tweets containing jokes about pedophilia.

Yeah I mean I figured it was something like this, but I wouldn't really be shocked if he knew about it. God 'n' guns republicans are garbage people so I'm not entirely sure I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I mean I figured it was something like this, but I wouldn't really be shocked if he knew about it. God 'n' guns republicans are garbage people so I'm not entirely sure I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

If you read the article, the kid's agent had been abusing him since he was twelve. I'm not going to get mad at Chris Pratt because he didn't slap the drink out of a 17 year old's hand at a party, there's enough other reasons to poo poo on him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

If you read the article, the kid's agent had been abusing him since he was twelve. I'm not going to get mad at Chris Pratt because he didn't slap the drink out of a 17 year old's hand at a party, there's enough other reasons to poo poo on him.

I didn't want to read the article after I got a few paragraphs into it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ask jack nicholson what happens to you when bad poo poo happens at your house

not a whole lot, really

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

skynet shoulda sent the t-1000 to 2020. movie woulda ended at the mall arcade

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Killer Joe is set in the Pumkinhead universe.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What do Italians call italics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

What do Italians call italics?

Corsivo

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Pirate Jet posted:

He spins like a propeller. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Anonymous Robot posted:

Killer Joe is set in the Pumkinhead universe.

Tracy Letts is a fine actor and writer but everytime I see him pop up in a movie since he wrote Killer Joe I have to force myself to forget the infamous fried chicken rape scene.

Especially during Little Women

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My inappropriate laughter story is when I was watching Godzilla 2014 and after suffering through Aaron Taylon-Johnson's utter wooden lump of a performance, he tries to give his dramatic "One of us might die soon so I love you" speech on the phone to Liz Olson. I let out a Max Cady level guffaw and everyone looked at me like I was an rear end in a top hat. No regrets. :colbert:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
About three hours into The Irishman I was like “this is very well-made and I’m enjoying it, but I’m not finding it as revelatory as everyone else.” Then I made it through the last half-hour which was really loving good and extremely :smith:

I like how The Irishman is almost a time travel movie, like Scorsese knew he was going to get into this Marvel kerfuffle and a lot of people would knock him for making glitzy problematic crime picture around the time of the film’s release, so he made a gangster movie with almost no glitz or glamor and is just hours of bullshit backdoor politicking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1213514393788526593

The man just destroyed all of twitter.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

My sister still thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for laughing at the scene in Titanic where the guy jumps off the ship and bounces off the huge propeller. I was like ten years old at the time. In fairness to her I was laughing hysterically while everyone in the theater was crying.

As someone who legit loves Titanic and thinks that sequence is emotionally devastating, nothing breaks the spell like that dude just plopping off the propeller.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

As someone who legit loves Titanic and thinks that sequence is emotionally devastating, nothing breaks the spell like that dude just plopping off the propeller.

All it needs is a wilhelm scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

About three hours into The Irishman I was like “this is very well-made and I’m enjoying it, but I’m not finding it as revelatory as everyone else.” Then I made it through the last half-hour which was really loving good and extremely :smith:

I like how The Irishman is almost a time travel movie, like Scorsese knew he was going to get into this Marvel kerfuffle and a lot of people would knock him for making glitzy problematic crime picture around the time of the film’s release, so he made a gangster movie with almost no glitz or glamor and is just hours of bullshit backdoor politicking.

Not to mention it's secretly an anti-war film in contrast with Marvel's recruitment films.