Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thor already fought Knull, because Knull is also the Necrosword. Or it's his sword? Something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if everything was a Symbiote?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Somebody cut this guy a check

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At the end of the day we are all just infected by the carnage symbiote living in a society.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Marvel Zombies Venomies

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

At the end of the day we are all just infected by the carnage symbiote living in a society.

what if the symbiote was the friends we made along the way

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

what if the symbiote was the friends we made along the way

I mean this is alarmingly close to the plot of the last Carnage event.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Does anyone remember the Poisons, which were like alternate universe Venoms?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Edge & Christian posted:

Does anyone remember Marvel Apes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, they had kinda cool designs. Not much else, though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dreadface

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gavok is that you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I'd forgotten Kid Kaiju was a thing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Edge & Christian posted:

How could anyone forget how military genius Venom-Doctor Strange’s master plan to stop the Venom assimilating parasites was to throw even more Venoms at them. And somehow Carnage still found a way to weasel into the story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheHan posted:

How could anyone forget how military genius Venom-Doctor Strange’s master plan to stop the Venom assimilating parasites was to throw even more Venoms at them. And somehow Carnage still found a way to weasel into the story.

I think that's just contractual obligation, since after all the Spider-People did the exact same thing with the Inheritors in Spider-Verse. Gotta stay on brand, even if you should already know what their actual weakness is and can probably find a way to exploit it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The first issue of Thor was a lot better than I expected it to be, but I still loathe the new design. I don't think I will ever warm up to it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JordanKai posted:

The first issue of Thor was a lot better than I expected it to be, but I still loathe the new design. I don't think I will ever warm up to it.
Maybe if you're lucky Thor will get mostly sidelined in his book in favor of Cosmic Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer Black and Beta Ray Toxin and Juggerduck and Symbiote Eater Volstagg and a mysterious evil figure named Llunk, No Relation?

That way you won't need to see the outfit that much.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I had no idea who or what "Knull" was, and having found out I'm just going to put it out of my mind.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm definitely tired of Thor being emo about being king, again. This is at minimum the third time he's become king of Asgard and been emo about it. I think he's been king of Asgard almost as often as he hasn't, since the '00s? Get over it already! Or just hand the reigns back to the Allmothers again!

The stuff about the hammer getting heavier and heavier is also like...didn't we just do this? We just did this, right?

That, combined with him just kinda being a dick to Loki for petty reasons, makes this all feel like a Thor who hadn't just gone through all the changes he's gone through during Aaron's run, not one who has.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I've been a bit out of the loop on modern comics lately. What's this I'm hearing about Amulet, the Muslim superhero who has Muslim powers? Is that a real thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what the gently caress does "muslim powers" mean

e:

are muslims known for being able to project force fields?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 6, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Issues not out yet, but I feel like Saladin Ahmed can be trusted to not make a cringey orientalist superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah that's why I'm asking, I heard from friends they were concerned this was gonna be an awful orientalist character but I had no idea if their concerns were based on anything other than mistrusting the industry.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I had no idea they even announced the character until you mentioned it to be honest. The article I found said his powers haven't been announced yet, but he wears an amulet that is apparently based on Muslim culture and has magical powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm going to be honest, Amulet is a terrible loving name and based entirely on that, this character is going to exist for one or two arcs, disappear completely and only re-appear to be killed in a crossover event 3-5 years from now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: stupid derail

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah just join in a convo I started like you didn't just wish me to get perma'd 20 minutes ago.

I try and keep subforum drama limited to the subforums they start in, but yeah, when you said you're glad someone I thought was a positive contribution to this forum was perma'd when you start way more petty bullshit drama then they ever did (including with them specifically) I got snappy.

I do actually like reading your opinions on stuff, when you aren't talking about Dickeye you often say interesting, insightful or humorous things, but there was a rule in CineD about you and Dickeye responding to each other for a reason and it felt like you get a last shot in when she couldn't respond and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e: stupid derail

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't loving say I was happy about it, that would be rude to do, but when people start making out like Dickeye was some hero that was taken down by evil scheming mods I thought I'd remind them that just maybe they got banned for constantly insulting everyone they ever interact with and triple posting and drunk posting and flouting every loving rule in the forums and telling people to suck their cock when they disagree with them about something.

I'm not talking with you about this in the loving Marvel thread, three people posted about hot new Marvel character Amulet in the Marvel thread so I gave my lovely flip opinion about Amulet and you decided to call me out for something I said on a completely different section of the forum about a completely different subject. That's the kinda poo poo that got Dickeye perma'd. Yell at me in CineD chat if you want this conversation to continue.

I'm going to have to read every issue involving Amulet now, aren't I?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah sorry for the derail, editing those posts out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to have to read every issue involving Amulet now, aren't I?

Look on the bright side, if you're correct about their longevity it won't be many

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

Issues not out yet, but I feel like Saladin Ahmed can be trusted to not make a cringey orientalist superhero.

Apparently Amulet (and Saladin) are from Dearborn Michigan.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Thank you for dropping that derail, let's none of us pick it back up again.

Anyway it looks like this guy's whole deal is based off the nazar, that really common blue-circle/eye/hand apotropaic motif. It's not a bad character design and I guess if you're going to use real-world belief-adjacent stuff for the grist of a superhero it's probably not any worse than any of the golems or archangels running around? But it's really not "Muslim" so much as "Middle Eastern," since its important to, say, Hindu communities in Southern Asia as well. The oldest examples of these things predate the origins of Islam by a pretty comfy margin going off the thin amount of research I just did and what I remember from college.

That being said, both Wilson and Ahmed have had some kind of curse on Ms. Marvel where they can write a perfectly delightful Kamala but all of her non-civilian supporting cast and villains are cardboard. I trust him to handle the historical and cultural elements of the symbol just fine though!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is kind of sad that thus far Kamala's best villain is the Shocker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's that one guy with the chicken head

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

There's that one guy with the chicken head

I think it was a cockatiel and his plan was to.... put old people in a basement...? He was also a clone of Thomas Edison for some reason.

Edit: Perhaps the Inventor and I have more in common than I first suspected...

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Archyduchess posted:

That being said, both Wilson and Ahmed have had some kind of curse on Ms. Marvel where they can write a perfectly delightful Kamala but all of her non-civilian supporting cast and villains are cardboard.

Unfortunate agree. I think the aim is to have readers of her solo title not feel like she's too entwined in the shared universe and that they're missing out if they don't buy a bunch of other books and therefore why even read this one, but I'd like to see some more established villains in her main book. I mean they can be mook-tier like Shocker if the goal is to not have it always be "Kamala is fighting Juggernaut for some reason so Iron Man has to come bail her out just to show how powerful Juggernaut is". I'd love it if she consistently went up against like Boomerang, people who can be serious enough threats but also keep the story lighthearted 'cause at the end of the day it's still Boomerang. Where the hell is Paste Pot Pete these days?

Also, Amulet? Ugh. Why do so many of Marvel's young-and-progressive-and-new set have the most generic-rear end names possible? It basically ensures they'll never really be A Thing. Wave, Aero, etc. The Inuk girl is Snowguard, right? That's alright. More like that, less nouns that can't be copyrighted. Course, running down the names of my favourite heroes, esp. mutants, maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end here. Especially thinking about how his powers could evolve to function like creatively-named mutant Armor except less cringy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think its more of a problem now with saladins book because he inexplicably has basically cut out all of kamalas supporting cast. when willow was writing, the book was always more about kamala and her friends and the balance between her life and being a superhero, so having to have her own rogues gallery wasnt as important

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Also, Amulet? Ugh. Why do so many of Marvel's young-and-progressive-and-new set have the most generic-rear end names possible? It basically ensures they'll never really be A Thing. Wave, Aero, etc. The Inuk girl is Snowguard, right? That's alright. More like that, less nouns that can't be copyrighted. Course, running down the names of my favourite heroes, esp. mutants, maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end here. Especially thinking about how his powers could evolve to function like creatively-named mutant Armor except less cringy.

Ryan North had the right idea. Koi Boi and Chipmunk Hunk are funny but more than that, they're memorable. I liked Greg Pak's Agents of Atlas but I've already forgotten the codenames of everyone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Single word epithets are iconic and compelling, but you hit a saturation point with them. It's difficult. There's pretty much zero distance conceptually between Aero and Magma, or Wave and Storm. Like, Cyclops, Vision, Magik, Angel, these would all be considered hackneyed and forgettable names on new characters, in part just because there are so many characters who have that sort of name in circulation already.

Same reason the industry moved away from Captain ___ and ___-Man in the late 60s.