Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Fights in previous seasons felt like clever or unforeseen applications of power or technique that were snappy and didn't drag. This season feels like an endless series of grimaced reaffirmation of principles until 21 minutes are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They haven't really gone all out with the animation in a fight yet this season

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
This arc dragged in the manga, most likely because Horikoshi was very ill at the time. I was hoping the animation would be able to spice it up a bit, but honestly it's still dragging for me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that they're splitting focus between the season and the movie which could be why the animation has been pretty lacking (Nighteye vs Overhaul was half speedlines ffs).

Next episode should have some crazy sakuga.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s not a fantastic arc tbh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mirio carried the previous episode really loving hard and neither midoriya or nighteye stepped up to the plate this time around

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's very difficult to be as cool as Mirio.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s not a fantastic arc tbh
Honestly it's a lot better in the anime so far, if only due to not having to deal with lots of breaks and tiny chapters while Horikoshi was busy trying not to die. It's still one of the weaker main arcs but better pacing goes a long way.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I haven't read the manga and I feel like this arc is good but I also noticed that the fights (apart from the one Mirio fight) aren't as impactful

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Imagine if Miro called their bluff and they erased Eri's quirk lmfao

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nephthys posted:

I heard that they're splitting focus between the season and the movie which could be why the animation has been pretty lacking (Nighteye vs Overhaul was half speedlines ffs).

Next episode should have some crazy sakuga.
Next episode has a Nakamura cut in it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

A funny thought, but Eri's quirk presumably doesn't work on herself. If it did she probably would have reversed herself into non-existence years ago.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, but he didn't know they were quirk-stealing bullets. Funny as the results would be, calling that bluff would require that Mirio just watch as someone fired what looked very much like a real-rear end gun at a six year old girl. And my boy's better than that.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
What's odd is at the beginning of this season they seemed to be really zooming along and folks were speculating that they might get all the way through both this arc and the next one in one go. Startin' to not look that way now. (Too bad, too, because the next arc is one of my faves.)

This most recent episode is the worst because, really, everything that happens takes place over maybe three minutes of real time, punctuated by tons of slow-motion and flashbacks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The drag still isn't as bad as modern One Piece anime, but yeah, at times you can really tell that this was written when Horikoshi was as close as he's ever come to phoning it in (while he tried to not die).

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

The drag still isn't as bad as modern One Piece anime, but yeah, at times you can really tell that this was written when Horikoshi was as close as he's ever come to phoning it in (while he tried to not die).

I think he also later said the Overhaul arc was a lot darker than he originally wanted/planned and that made it tough for him to wanna work on it

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Between Compress, Kirishima, and Nighteye, lotta arm trauma in this arc and yet Deku remains unscathed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a little weird to me how conservative this season's been, especially visually tbh. I heard a lot in the runup to this season about how much better the team's production schedule was this time than it was for like Season 3, and while it's kinda showing in some regards - the story boards and character art are probably as good as the show's had so far - they really haven't even attempted anything as dynamic and ambitious in terms of flowing animation as, like, Deku vs Muscular, let alone any of the show's more famous highlights.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a little weird to me how conservative this season's been, especially visually tbh. I heard a lot in the runup to this season about how much better the team's production schedule was this time than it was for like Season 3, and while it's kinda showing in some regards - the story boards and character art are probably as good as the show's had so far - they really haven't even attempted anything as dynamic and ambitious in terms of flowing animation as, like, Deku vs Muscular, let alone any of the show's more famous highlights.
I dunno when most of this was produced- the scheduling was really good but they were producing the movie too for part of this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I dunno when most of this was produced- the scheduling was really good but they were producing the movie too for part of this.

Maybe that's why. Makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe that's why. Makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.
I'm guessing that's why, but we don't know how much of this season was basically finished before it even aired- we'll probably know if the cuts for the big scenes suddenly become better here at the end of this cour and into the second one.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Between Compress, Kirishima, and Nighteye, lotta arm trauma in this arc and yet Deku remains unscathed

Deku already had his arm trauma last season, he can't afford to have any more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Wasn't Deku yanking jagged chunks of rock out of his arm this last episode?

I might just be conflating some other injuries, but I think he had a rock jammed into his arm.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

chiasaur11 posted:

I might just be conflating some other injuries, but I think he had a rock jammed into his arm.

You’re right, Nighteye getting his arm stabbed off fully overshadowed that for me.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think it's as bad as what he's suffered before since the main problem he's had was breaking all his bones to the point where his hand is permanently disfigured. While those rocks will likely leave some nice big holes in his arms I don't think he'll be worried about being paralyzed so long as the bones are fine.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Goku got squished and stomped and blasted and all sorts of stuff, but for whatever reason pushing the kaioken too far was pain he couldn't initially get past

One for All follows the Goku rule

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Feel like the anime's missed a chance to show the girls doing something while the boys are rescuing Eri, which was something a lot of manga readers were hoping the anime would fix

(Having not watched the latest episode, for all I know the preview could have shown exactly that...?)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

it's surprising how much less compelling midoriya's character becomes when he's not exploding his skeleton in every fight

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

(Having not watched the latest episode, for all I know the preview could have shown exactly that...?)

You should watch the latest episode.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tbf like 90% of the cast hasn't done poo poo this season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

it's surprising how much less compelling midoriya's character becomes when he's not exploding his skeleton in every fight

At some point deku is going to get to a level of power somewhat approaching that of all might and every fight is either going to go the one punch man route (the fight ends when the main character shows up) or the endless escalation to maintain the feeling of tension and threat will make everything really stupid

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Really the only question I have left about this arc is "if deku gets hit by the quirk erasing bullets, does one for all die or does the can't be stolen property negate the bullet"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It'd presumably die bc Eraserhead's quirk works on him

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ninjewtsu posted:

At some point deku is going to get to a level of power somewhat approaching that of all might and every fight is either going to go the one punch man route (the fight ends when the main character shows up) or the endless escalation to maintain the feeling of tension and threat will make everything really stupid
I dunno, we're up to two dudes with death touch abilities.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If they get the drop on him I guess that's an issue but like, all might can kill people by punching in their direction from a couple blocks away

Early in the show deku weaponized all might power flicking

Once he can flick without breaking his bones it's going to start getting a little convoluted how any not-all-for-one villain is going to pose a reasonable threat

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Punching badguys is great and all, but Deku still has to learn to save every civilian from being merked. A full powered Deku is limited by collateral damage more than anything else.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Plenty of characters have powers that could kill a lot of people, what makes them stand out in the show's perspective is that they don't use their powers to kill. Sure Deku could kill someone with a finger flick, not much different to Shigaraki, but he wouldn't cause he's a hero and that's what matters in MHA.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's actually more powerful than shigaraki, as the shockwave of the flick has an enormous amount of power behind it. deku can kill people at range with his flicks

by the time his body can utilize that level of power, he'll be able to control it just fine, as that's what he's working on right now. there's plenty of moral dilemmas and "can you be everywhere at the same time" scenarios that can be posed, but pretty soon deku will no longer be stopped by any limitation revolving around "can i beat this guy in a fight." all might already exists as a textual promise that one day, deku will cease to face physical obstacles, and he doesn't need to be at all might's level to completely trivialize, oh, just about every quirk user we've seen thus far that isn't all for one.

or, to maybe focus the point back a bit, deku's physical limitations and inability to properly harness or control his power are the entirety of what makes him interesting to see in an action sequence. and the entire story is about him overcoming the very thing that makes him interesting to watch, bringing us to:

Oxxidation posted:

i want to see if the show can find an answer to this problem, because from what i can see it's certainly a problem

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The problem is Deku is a boring character. He's a nice lad! But his character flaw is that bullshit answer you say in interviews, "I try a little too hard..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I appreciate that he has self esteem issues and a complex relationship with his peers and who he respects and why he respects them (i.e. his relationship with bakugo, which personally I find pretty compelling)

Not much of that has come into play this arc past the initial meeting with nighteye