Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh boy, Spectrum's streaming TV service is treated exactly like their normal TV service meaning the service can't be canceled or paused online. Have to go through the normal call center queue like all their other services.

Hour on the phone to cancel something that took me 2 seconds to click a button to sign up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’ll be down to licenses I’m sure, the xfinity app works for a certain selection of channels but not others.

They’re still worlds ahead of At&T with regards to their non cable box offering tho, when it comes to Apple TV at least. Essentially emulates a full cable box at no extra charge and provides the full channel lineup n

Does the Xfinity app work as a multi-tv replacement for all the boxes in the bedrooms etc? And can it be used on ipads, laptops, etc out of the house? I have access to the Xfinity app as an internet customer and whatever version I can access is completely useless.

And for whole home with a box in each room without cabling all over, you still have to use their wireless router to use their wireless "Dish Joey" equivalent Xi5, etc if you went with that solution for each tv in the house.

If they build just a completely portable app like YTTV and bundle it with internet/cell phone for $120/month, it's game over for anyone else. In 5 years I bet this is where we will be at.

The last year I had Dish I also had a $30 discount per month that they had offered me to stay the year before......and back in august when it expired it only took about 5 minutes to cancel with a call center in Colorado and they guy didn't bother offering anything and just said "I totally understand."

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 26, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wandler20 posted:

I've been with DirecTV for over 15 years and that's what I'm doing. They recently said they're stopping doing this because they're losing so much money and subscribers so it'll be interesting to see what happens when the next round comes up for me. For now I'll enjoy my $40 DirecTV.

Yeah, they've been hemorrhaging subscribers at an alarming rate (for shareholders). Both the satellite and the streaming service.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

Does the Xfinity app work as a multi-tv replacement for all the boxes in the bedrooms etc? And can it be used on ipads, laptops, etc out of the house? I have access to the Xfinity app as an internet customer and whatever version I can access is completely useless.

And for whole home with a box in each room without cabling all over, you still have to use their wireless router to use their wireless "Dish Joey" equivalent Xi5, etc if you went with that solution for each tv in the house.

If they build just a completely portable app like YTTV and bundle it with internet/cell phone for $120/month, it's game over for anyone else. In 5 years I bet this is where we will be at.

For the Andriod app, some channels are only available when you're on your home network, some are not restricted (same for their browser based streams). And for streaming devices like Roku/Apple TV/etc. it only works if you use their internet gateway as your router/modem and have the device connected to that.

So, it's definitely not a fully portable offering at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keyser_Soze posted:

From memory the app gives you everything within the house and a selected channel lineup when out. I’m guessing if you use an xfinity hotspot that isn’t saturated it might give you everything? It’s been ages since I used it as I moved to At&T for fiber this year.

Also I realize I wrote Apple TV is the good app, I meant Roku. I have too many streaming boxes and got mixed up. The Roku one looks essentially like an X1 box without the $10 fee attached.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, they've been hemorrhaging subscribers at an alarming rate (for shareholders). Both the satellite and the streaming service.

AT&T sucks. We've ditched all their services, mostly because they're overpriced as hell. We saved a shitload of money switching to Xfinity internet/PSVue/Google Fi.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

wandler20 posted:

Sports.

That's the biggest thing stopping me from dropping DirecTV. Granted I also have $70/month in credits for the next 10 months. Sounds like I'm SOL when that ends tho.

Between YTTV and ESPN+ I have more sports than I can possibly watch. And I watch a lot of loving sports.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XBenedict posted:

Between YTTV and ESPN+ I have more sports than I can possibly watch. And I watch a lot of loving sports.

Does YTTV have live ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and NFLN?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

wandler20 posted:

They don't have nfl network (or red zone). Locals depends on where you are. Think most major cities have them by now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Proteus Jones posted:

So my husband wanted to keep U-Verse but the cost compared to the streaming services was just untenable, I called and said I'm serious about leaving but if you can give me something, anything to justify staying I'm all ears.

Nope, gently caress you, sorry not sorry to see you go, bye whore. Also we are making you pay for the entire rest of the month even though you already returned the equipment.

A few months later "Oh no! All our subscribers are leaving! Panic!"

Um, yeah, we tried to stay but you told us to gently caress off.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I’m so glad the only sports I care about is lovely pro wrestling.

If AEW has a cheaper way to stream in the states I’d have no need for live Tv

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jose Oquendo posted:

Check out Locast.

It's available in certain cities and if you're not in one of those cities, there's ways to make your browser think it is.
Looks like I am in fact in one of the served areas. Works on browsers, Apple TV and iOS. I had no idea this was a thing, thanks!!

So I've now cut off Vue and gotten on Sling, and initial impressions are very disappointing. There's SO much content control on Sling... like half the drat channels don't allow pausing or rewinding, and the ones that do will restrict playback controls during commercials. Throw in the 50-hour DVR that I'll actually have to janitor (as opposed to Vue's set-it-and-forget-it service), and this is gonna be a bit of a whiplash in user experience.

Sling also does that annoying thing where the media controls on an Apple TV don't match any of the other apps. This was my main qualm with YouTube TV when I was looking into it, but now, heck, I might as well give that a go. I was literally about to activate a YouTube TV trial, but it seems I've actually paid for a month of Sling (at a reduced rate, thankfully) rather than using a free trial. So I'll at least ride this out for a month I guess.

like even cheap-rear end Philo doesn't prevent you from PAUSING on a bunch of channels. what gives. I guess it's a sports thing again? like if literally any sports are on a channel they just lock down the entire channel at all times?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 27, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I have ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, NBA, TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, ACC, ESPNNEWS, FS1, FS2, FSSW, FSSW Plus, NBCSN, MLB, BTN, CBSSN, Tennis, Olympic Channel, and my local UHF affiliates that show regional sports.

ESPN+ is a completely different planet.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XBenedict posted:

I have ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, NBA, TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC, ACC, ESPNNEWS, FS1, FS2, FSSW, FSSW Plus, NBCSN, MLB, BTN, CBSSN, Tennis, Olympic Channel, and my local UHF affiliates that show regional sports.

ESPN+ is a completely different planet.

I just checked and for some reason I have pretty much all those except FOX. Definitely something to consider down the road.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

wandler20 posted:

I just checked and for some reason I have pretty much all those except FOX. Definitely something to consider down the road.

YTTV was the only place to have all of my local channels (which gives me all of the major sports besides baseball). I live out in the middle of bumfuck Illinois (almost 1.5 hours away from St. Louis, Champaign or Carbondale) but I still get the locals (I can choose between St Louis stations or Champaign/Decatur stations). I also get all of the sports stations mentioned above but also NBCS Chicago, Fox Sports Midwest, and Big Ten Network (along with the ESPN college sports channels, ACC and SEC).

Pretty drat good selection.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I could not cancel Sling TV fast enough. Got right on that YouTube TV trial and it's a breath of fresh air. Costs more, but it feels like a premium service I gotta say. The guide is even nicer than Vue's, and it's sweet that I can rearrange it or hide channels using the phone app. Unrestricted DVR that I'll never have to think about is obviously great. 9-month limit on recordings is no issue as I had gotten used to Vue's 30 days.

On Apple TV I was happy to see that Siri works for playback controls (i.e. "skip ahead three minutes"). Didn't expect that since it doesn't use the standard Apple TV playback UI.

Also, what I found to be the most pleasant aspect of Sling's UI is also on YouTube TV, where you can bring up a little overlay on the bottom of the screen that lets you scroll through a channel menu while the current video keeps playing.

Man if they could offer YTTV without a million sports/disney channels and knock $15-20 off the price, it'd be perfect. But hey it's the same price I had been paying for Vue. My few-week interim of Philo spoiled me a bit. But oh man this YTTV day one experience is so good, and ultimately worth it I'm sure.

Fair warning to anyone on the fence, Sling's 7-day trial is an either-or deal. So if you go for the discounted first month, there's no free trial period. Guess I should have figured that out before moving forward, but a customer service chat got me some grace. Now I'm all in on that YouTube train baby.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Minidust posted:

Man if they could offer YTTV without a million sports/disney channels and knock $15-20 off the price,

The cable industry will never learn on this one.. History is just repeating itself.

Most providers are required by the channel owner to carry other channels. So say your local cable provider (or YTTV) wants to carry the main Disney channel... Disney makes it a requirement for them to also carry all the other channels Disney owns, like ESPN for example (one of the most expensive channels).

At least on traditional cable this is where a lot of junk channels come from. And it leads to high prices and constant price increases. The same thing seems to be happening to the streaming services now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does a YTTV sub still come with whatever Google is calling their Spotify service nowadays?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does a YTTV sub still come with whatever Google is calling their Spotify service nowadays?

No. YouTube RED is a completely separate service for $10(?) per month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That said, YTTV does give you access to the YouTube Premium Originals.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

I think he means YouTube Music, but no, that’s not included either.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that what it takes to use PIP in the iOS App because aside from the junk channels it's my only real complaint for YTTV.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

XBenedict posted:

The YTTV Cloud DVR is bonkers. That's the main draw for me. I can set it to record every sporting contest by league or team, or even sport if I want to be completely nuts, and more importantly for my gf, my DVR now has every single episode of Law and Order on demand (Thank you YT and WETV.)

Yeah, the DVR for YTTV is nuts. We've set up a few shows we like and bam, there they all are, on demand.

We finally decided to break away from streaming and went with dish network. We end up saving money just with the reduced data usage (a teenager + YouTube = data black hole), and the dish price isn't much more than psvue was.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So here's a weird question that I can't find any info on.

I was watching YTTV on my laptop (MacOS) with Chrome, and I got a thing come up on the page that asked if I wanted to install the YTTV app on my computer. I installed it. It's just a Chrome app that opens an instance of Chrome and goes right to YTTV. It behaves like an app. I dragged it to my applications folder and it works as advertised.

For some reason, I'm not getting that same prompt to install it on my other MacOS computers. I copied the app to the other computers and it doesn't work on them. There's probably some other file it needs, but whatever.

What I really want to know is if there's a link or page I can go to for this app. I've googled the hell out of it and I can't find anything.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

So here's a weird question that I can't find any info on.

I was watching YTTV on my laptop (MacOS) with Chrome, and I got a thing come up on the page that asked if I wanted to install the YTTV app on my computer. I installed it. It's just a Chrome app that opens an instance of Chrome and goes right to YTTV. It behaves like an app. I dragged it to my applications folder and it works as advertised.

For some reason, I'm not getting that same prompt to install it on my other MacOS computers. I copied the app to the other computers and it doesn't work on them. There's probably some other file it needs, but whatever.

What I really want to know is if there's a link or page I can go to for this app. I've googled the hell out of it and I can't find anything.

Do those other Macs have Chrome installed? If you look in the Chrome main menu, there should be an option "Install Youtube TV".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

Do those other Macs have Chrome installed? If you look in the Chrome main menu, there should be an option "Install Youtube TV".

I use Chrome for YTTV on all of the devices. Didn't see it anywhere.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I got a thing come up on the page that asked if I wanted to install [...] on my computer. I installed it.

:ughh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It’s not malware. It wasn’t a popup. It was in the YTTV page itself. I’m not that dumb.

It’s technically a chrome app. I googled around and some people on Reddit said it is a thing but no one has info on how to install it except for when the page mentions it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chrome “apps” are just fancy shortcuts to web pages.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

Chrome “apps” are just fancy shortcuts to web pages.

Right and that's why I can't figure out why copying it to another computer didn't work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The words you're looking for are "Progressive Web App" or PWA. Weirdly, it isn't just the YTTV PWA that's gone missing from Google for me. I just noticed today that the Messages for Web PWA is gone as well. This is with Chrome Beta 80 on Mac. If I go to Twitter (the only other page I know of that prompts for a PWA) it comes up both in the menu (Install Twitter) and in the address bar (looks like a reticule to the left of the Bookmark Star).

I can't find anything on the web about Google PWAs going away but I can confirm I don't have prompts for any of them anymore on Mac or on ChromeOS Beta 79.

Edit: YouTube Music still has theirs. It was just launched at the end of October to serve as a standalone miniplayer so I'm not surprised that's still around. Messages for Web rolled out in October 2018 and that's about the length of Google's attention span.

Edit 2: I still get prompted to add YTTV's PWA.

Edit 3: All of the "missing" PWAs for Google apps just returned for me in the last few minutes. Maybe try looking again?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What was that website where you can specify what channels are most important to you and it tells you which streaming service to get? Google is coming up empty for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Suppose.tv

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Although I've been happy with Xfinity, my bill is going up by $20 next month (and another $30 in a year), so I've started looking at FIOS + a streaming service. I'm leaning toward YTTV, but I'm also open to Sling or Hulu, plus an OTA. I've checked Suppose.tv and they all include the channels I'm interested in. A couple of questions:

• If I go with YTTV, would it still be worthwhile to get an OTA for picture quality? 99% of my viewing is live sports, split about evenly between local and cable channels. I'm in the DC area (Arlington) and 3-4 miles away from every tower.
  • How does streaming picture quality compare to cable? I'll probably go with a 300Mbps plan, which should be more than enough for any use. I've heard that YTTV has the best quality and Sling the worst, but that can depend on so many factors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been my experience that YTTY quality has been superior to my FiOS TV quality.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

curried lamb of God posted:

Although I've been happy with Xfinity, my bill is going up by $20 next month (and another $30 in a year), so I've started looking at FIOS + a streaming service. I'm leaning toward YTTV, but I'm also open to Sling or Hulu, plus an OTA. I've checked Suppose.tv and they all include the channels I'm interested in. A couple of questions:

• If I go with YTTV, would it still be worthwhile to get an OTA for picture quality? 99% of my viewing is live sports, split about evenly between local and cable channels. I'm in the DC area (Arlington) and 3-4 miles away from every tower.
  • How does streaming picture quality compare to cable? I'll probably go with a 300Mbps plan, which should be more than enough for any use. I've heard that YTTV has the best quality and Sling the worst, but that can depend on so many factors.

My broadband is only around 100Mbps and the streaming quality is superior. Even with multiple devices streaming. There is no difference between YTTV and OTA picture quality that I can ascertain.

YTTV has a 7 day trial. See for yourself.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
FWIW YouTube tv is taking the feed directly from the master control and encoding it. They aren’t re-encoding the over the air signal. It will look better since they’re doing straight mpeg4, not mpeg2 to mpeg4 re-encoding.

edit: this is every station I’ve been to

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
NBC revealed their plans for Peacock today

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/nbcuniversal-unveils-peacock-streaming-service-subscription-tiers

I'll try my best for a TL;DR.

Release Date:
-Launches July 15th
-Early releases on April 15th for Xfinity X1 and people that have the $5 "Flex" Streaming box

Ads
-NBCU’s Peacock will have no more than five minutes of ads per hour, even on the free version

Peacock Free
-7,500 hours of programming
-Next day access to "Freshman broadcast series"
-Complete Classic series
-Popular Movies
-Curated Daily News and Sports, including The Olympics
-"SNL Vault"

Peacock Premium
-$5/mo, free for Comcast and Cox Cable subscribers
-Peacock Original Series
-Next day access to "Returning broadcast series"
-Early access to late night talk shows at 8pm EST
-Premier League

Peacock Premium - Ad Free
-$9.99/mo
-$5/mo for Comcast/Cox cable subscribers

Peacock Originals
-AP Bio, Punky Brewseter, Psych 2: The Movie, Saved by the Bell, MacGruber

gently caress it, there is a lot of original content announcements, just read the press release.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My dumb football team is done for the season and my hockey team is a bunch of untalented morons who can't score goals and are also very stupid so I've suspended my Youtube TV account until next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope they remake the Punky Brewster drugs episode, it was pretty amazing.