Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If you don't feel like making your own I've gotten some pretty good results out of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZRBOME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The larger one has some bendy wires inside of it so you can shape it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

President Beep posted:

If you don't feel like making your own I've gotten some pretty good results out of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZRBOME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The larger one has some bendy wires inside of it so you can shape it a bit.

I own the rogue version of this and its pretty decent, but the wires inside give it enough weight that if you hang your camera inverted on a side-sling it can slide off the end of your flash, so you'll probably want to add a couple velcro patches to the inside to help secure it. Also, the downside of being flexible is it deforms very easily, meaning you'll have to reset the scoop shape several times.

Also: if you're going to use something like this as on-camera flash, a good tip is to mount it sideways, on the short side of your flash head, so that if you shoot vertically you can flip it up so it's still above your lens axis.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m looking at flashes to go with a Pentax Super Program and I’m bouncing between the AF400T, a Sunpak 555, and a Metz 45-CL. The last two would be with the adapters that let them use the TTL flash of the Super Program. Anyone have any experience with these flashes and can recommend one? Or maybe have suggestions for a completely different flash?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Schneider Heim posted:

Lightsphere? You mean like this one? https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.Z6SR5

Personally I use the one made my Gary Fong. Overpriced yes but it gets the results I prefer after having used a half dozen other modifiers with mixed results.

https://www.garyfong.com/product/lightsphere-collapsible-speed-mount/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've had good results with the Lightsphere (older model). IIRC, one of the more famous EDM event photographers (rukes.com) used to (still?) posts here, and he mentioned the Lightsphere was a key part of his kit when he posted about his setup (this was probably over 10 years ago though...).

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm looking to upgrade my less than impressive kit Canon that my wife bought me some years ago. I found a used 80D with five off-brand batteries, one Canon battery, three chargers and a pro battery grip for $550. Assuming the seller isn't lying when he says it was gently handled and virtually never taken outside, is this a good deal? It appears to be from what I've seen but I don't really know this stuff.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my less than impressive kit Canon that my wife bought me some years ago. I found a used 80D with five off-brand batteries, one Canon battery, three chargers and a pro battery grip for $550. Assuming the seller isn't lying when he says it was gently handled and virtually never taken outside, is this a good deal? It appears to be from what I've seen but I don't really know this stuff.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, assuming the shutter isn't overdue to croak. Any chance they know what the shutter count is? I know there's an app available for Mac that can pull this info. Bet there's one for Windows too.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

President Beep posted:

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, assuming the shutter isn't overdue to croak. Any chance they know what the shutter count is? I know there's an app available for Mac that can pull this info. Bet there's one for Windows too.

Unfortunately not. The most he says in the ad is, "Gently handled and lightly used backup ..."

And thanks for the reply!

Edit: Actual price is $525, misread it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Assuming the camera's condition is being honestly reported, an 80D for $550 is a excellent deal. Does it actually come with any lenses?

It's a great body and has enough features to try out pretty much any kind of photography you might want to experiment with.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

Assuming the camera's condition is being honestly reported, an 80D for $550 is a excellent deal. Does it actually come with any lenses?

It's a great body and has enough features to try out pretty much any kind of photography you might want to experiment with.

No lenses but that's not a problem as I have a couple of decent ones. I was just starting to get into the hobby when life (in the form of children) intervened and I haven't touched it in years.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m looking at flashes to go with a Pentax Super Program and I’m bouncing between the AF400T, a Sunpak 555, and a Metz 45-CL. The last two would be with the adapters that let them use the TTL flash of the Super Program. Anyone have any experience with these flashes and can recommend one? Or maybe have suggestions for a completely different flash?

I have no experience with any of that but I"m a stupid Pentax fanboy and you triggered me. I wanna play with old Pentax poo poo again. Anyway, yeah, go with one of the TTL-capable versions. How much do either of those cost? I mean, they're all like super old, right? Just find one that hasn't had batteries leak all over inside (good luck with that).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Not a question but I just saw someone say they shot a wedding with this thing on their camera and I'm enthralled with how insane it looks - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090363-REG/dedolight_dlobml2_bi_sh_ledzilla_mini_led.html

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Not a question but I just saw someone say they shot a wedding with this thing on their camera and I'm enthralled with how insane it looks - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090363-REG/dedolight_dlobml2_bi_sh_ledzilla_mini_led.html

What an amateur. Real pros shoot weddings with the Hubble space telescope.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Huh camera accessories are a weird tie in for Death Stranding merchandise

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The word "mini" does not belong anywhere in the name or description of that item.

It looks cool and i'd totally use it in my "studio", but to hotshoe it and walk around with it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a thread like this but for cinematography gear? Or is here an appropriate place to ask? I just bought a gimbal and some accessories and I have some questions about getting everything working together. In particular, I have my Atomos Ninja V monitor/SSD recorder connected to the body of the gimbal and I'm worried about the HDMI cable I'll need to connect to the camera yanking it off-balance. I have a coiled one but I'm guessing the only solution here is to get a longer, thinner uncoiled cable?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

same, but where do I ask my idiot questions about being a GoPro artisté?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is a very slow cinematography thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I need some tripod and head suggestions for a 35mm camera. I’d like one that can have both spike and rubber pad feet and I’m ready to drop the money on one since I’m aware budget tripods might as well be a bundle of sticks tied together for how well they perform

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I bought a nice set of Benro carbon fibre legs and a 3-way head.
The legs are the CF1573f set that usually come with a video head. They have interchangeable spikes and rubbber pads. Cost about $300 with the video head. Looks like it's discontinued now but these are almost the same specs wise. The main difference seems to be that mine have anodised blue metal parts for the head mount.
I bought the HD2A 3-way head which is super nice separately. Cost about $100.
It's a really nice set to use, very light to carry, folds up small but feels sturdy and stable when set up. Adjustments are positive and smooth, theres no sag even with heavy gear attached, there's also no creep from tightening up the handles. My only real complaint is that it's not 100% compatible with other Arca-Swiss plates that I have. The plate from the Benro S2 video head doesn't fit it. The one from my old Fomei tripod, and the Peak Design plates do fit however.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

I bought a nice set of Benro carbon fibre legs and a 3-way head.
The legs are the CF1573f set that usually come with a video head. They have interchangeable spikes and rubbber pads. Cost about $300 with the video head. Looks like it's discontinued now but these are almost the same specs wise. The main difference seems to be that mine have anodised blue metal parts for the head mount.
I bought the HD2A 3-way head which is super nice separately. Cost about $100.
It's a really nice set to use, very light to carry, folds up small but feels sturdy and stable when set up. Adjustments are positive and smooth, theres no sag even with heavy gear attached, there's also no creep from tightening up the handles. My only real complaint is that it's not 100% compatible with other Arca-Swiss plates that I have. The plate from the Benro S2 video head doesn't fit it. The one from my old Fomei tripod, and the Peak Design plates do fit however.

I went the opposite direction. Manfrotto 190 legs and Kirk bh1 head. Weighs a million pounds, stable and could bludgeon an elephant. I sometimes wish I'd gone light like yours, but it does meet the OPs specs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The best tripod is the one you'll actually bring with you instead of, say, leaving it at home because it's too heavy. If you're never going too far from the car anyway, maybe you don't need to spend the money on CF!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I very well may have low standards but the Neewer CF tripod I dropped a hundred bucks on almost two years ago has been pretty good to use so far. Even the ball head it came with seems okay. Folks always say not to cheap out on stuff like this but so far I haven't regretted the purchase.

:shrug:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I was gifted a Sony A7 III recently with a Tamron 28-75 (https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm-Mirrorless-Limited-Warranty/dp/B07CSLM1X8/). Its pretty drat awesome - the AF is hella cool.

I'm actually a Canon guy (7D, 5D Mark 2) with a bunch of glass (135 F2L, 85 1.8, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F4L... Canon 580 EXII flash). I bought the Sigma MC-11 adapter and was really surprised at how well it did with the Canon lenses, including Sony's eye AF tracking. I'm still trying to figure out what I should do. I know tons of people are switching from Canon to Sony, but I could do one of several things:

1. Do nothing and enjoy the adapter and slowly sell + replace the canon glass.
2. Return the Sony and Tamron (~$2600) to get a 5D Mark IV. Sell my 5D Mark II and other EF-S lenses I use on my 7D (a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and Tamron 17-50).
3. Return the Tamron and buy some flash accessories for the Sony or just use the cash for PC upgrades.

What do you all think?

edit: I do no video at all - which I know the Sony excels at. I used to do some paid stuff but consider me an advanced amateur/semi-pro.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 5, 2020

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sell the canon bodies; keep the canon lenses to use w/ adapter.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dollar-for-dollar I think Canon lenses are a way better value than the Sony stuff. If you start selling off your EF lenses you won’t see an equivalent return in FE gear—probably not even close.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I recommend using what you have before selling off any Canon glass.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Keep in mind also I can return the Sony+Tamron before the end of the month to get the gift card money as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Munkaboo posted:

Keep in mind also I can return the Sony+Tamron before the end of the month to get the gift card money as well.

Why not get the EOS R + adapter then?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why not get the EOS R + adapter then?

Isn't the a7iii superior in almost every way to the EOS R?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Keep the A73 and Canon lenses. After switching from Canon to Sony, I would make the same decision every time. Canon glass is great, Sony body is great. The adapter makes things work together very well. Just live with it and be happy. The more you figure out the Sony and it's features, the more you will appreciate it's capability.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Verman posted:

After switching from Canon to Sony, I would make the same decision every time.

Same here.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Verman posted:

Keep the A73 and Canon lenses. After switching from Canon to Sony, I would make the same decision every time. Canon glass is great, Sony body is great. The adapter makes things work together very well. Just live with it and be happy. The more you figure out the Sony and it's features, the more you will appreciate it's capability.

This.

And while the Sony menu layout sucks balls (as do some of their lenses), you really don't need to know the full menu layout at all. Just know what features you might be turning on/off regularly. Once you know them, you can put them in the function menu and the C1-4 buttons. I literally never go into the function menu unless I want to format the memory card.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Munkaboo posted:

Isn't the a7iii superior in almost every way to the EOS R?
While The Internet shat all over the R (and later the RP) when first announced, there seems to be a lot more positivity toward them now. Even if it's giving up some stuff on the spec sheet, Canon do know how to make a system that 'just works' and in the long run that wins people over. Plus it helps they dropped the prices!

Personally I think it's crazy to pick a system based on the specs of individual bodies. Unless you want to be constantly swapping your entire kit bag, you need to pick on the long-term factors; lens ecosystem, system philosophy, camera ergonomics, etc.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey guys, I've been dabbling in photography a little bit and I'm thinking of buying babby's first serious camera, for around 1000€. Looking for something compact (wanna travel with it) with interchangeable lenses. Local photo shop recommended me the Olympus E-M5, looking around on the internet it seems a good all-rounder (which is fine by me). Is there a goonsensus around Olympus, anything I'm missing with that model? Will I be overwhelmed?

Thanks in advance!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Ok yeah I am pretty sold on keeping the body - so should I return the Sony Tamron and use the $$ for stuff like a flash etc? Seems like my 24-70 II does well enough with the adapter.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 6, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I've been dabbling in photography a little bit and I'm thinking of buying babby's first serious camera, for around 1000€. Looking for something compact (wanna travel with it) with interchangeable lenses. Local photo shop recommended me the Olympus E-M5, looking around on the internet it seems a good all-rounder (which is fine by me). Is there a goonsensus around Olympus, anything I'm missing with that model? Will I be overwhelmed?

Thanks in advance!

Olympus is very good as an all-around and they're fabulous as brands go for travel. There are a shitload of lenses out there that can be had used or refurbished for very little money.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Munkaboo posted:

Ok yeah I am pretty sold on keeping the body - so should I return the Sony Tamron and use the $$ for stuff like a flash etc? Seems like my 24-70 II does well enough with the adapter.

Just sell the 24-70. You’ve got a great native mount lens, so just use that.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

DJExile posted:

Olympus is very good as an all-around and they're fabulous as brands go for travel. There are a shitload of lenses out there that can be had used or refurbished for very little money.

Yeah Olympus is great and their glass is both good and cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Chikimiki posted:

Thanks in advance!

Crap UI, solid cameras. Excellent to travel with. Personally, I don’t like MFT lenses, but there is potential for good photos. The New EM-5 III is allegedly the dogs nuts, but it’s outside your budget.

You can get an older EM-1, 5 or 10 pretty cheap on eBay.

I will say that I think you’ll get more bang for the buck with the Fuji system. You could get a fantastic used X-Pro 1, XT-10, or an X-E3 very reasonably, and add an extra lens.