Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

yeah at first i thought i was missing something but it really is that easy hahaha

I feel like I made a mistake getting this game. I almost got Ultra-Moon, it was cheaper and all, but I figured I should try to be active with the actual community. However, I heard that the Ultras have a lot of tutorials. Maybe it would've done me good. Anyway, I'm happily leveling up my mooks. I'm usually 3 levels higher/lower than the gym leaders and I'm trying to keep my favorites around, with some alternates. I haven't really need to raise any one unnecessary as of yet.

My team is heavily fighting and dark, since those are coolest looking creatures so far, with a bit of water and flying for good measure. So it's gone well enough. Gotta go beat up some fairies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I'm lolling hard at being confused by GameFreak not hand-holding.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't realize at first the wild area had shifting weather per day so I thought it was cool that the second area of the game had a bunch of ice pokemon for a change.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I didn't realize at first the wild area had shifting weather per day so I thought it was cool that the second area of the game had a bunch of ice pokemon for a change.

Its still really cool that you can get access to ice types so early and that this gen has been nicer to ice types than any gen since sinnoh.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It's cool that there is so much jargon and meta stuff surrounding this game that is absolutely not required to learn and understand because the game is so easy anyway. It's like the perfect game to bond with your kid over. It's literally perfect for that :allears:

I got him into Warframe, he got me into Pokemon. I think we're actually even now.

Fortnite, however, is another story entirely...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I know! It's making me feel like a massive idiot. But I look at my stats, I had to look up what the pink and blue numbers were, and I hardly understand what the Natures are and why they matter, and then the weird little detail, like "Startled by loud noises", and is it just flavor or important?

I get how to breed, but how to actually do it in a way that matters, is beyond me. Anyway, again, I'm just an idiot who hasn't played since Diamond, and it's fine. I know that none of this stuff really matters to "beat" the game, and I can look into it up as I need to know, but it's just opaque.

I'm happy I can pick and choose random battles, but I'm annoyed that some of the battles won't actually be visible in the tall grass meaning you have to find them anyway. I feel like a lot of features are like that for me. Cool but also annoying.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Whitney's Miltank is the only instance I can think of in Pokemon's history where it has ever approached being challenging. If you're low or at-level and know type matchups, it's easy. If you're high level it's easy period. The only game I can think of where you can't just grind through is maybe Black/White if you don't abuse Audinos?

This isn't a bad thing, they're still fun, especially if you get into battling, but it is baffling with this track record that people are still surprised when it's easy or easy to break.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My 6 year old, holding a Cubone toy:
"If I catch this guy in Pokemon sword, I'm going to nickname him Boner because he can throw a bone like a boomerang"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

canyoneer posted:

My 6 year old, holding a Cubone toy:
"If I catch this guy in Pokemon sword, I'm going to nickname him Boner because he can throw a bone like a boomerang"

It's a good name.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gruckles posted:

It's a good name.

What're your best nicknames?

I'm particularly proud of my Obstagoon called No-name Dog, my Mimikyu called Kentucky Owl, and I do think Raichu is quite suited to Cutty Sark.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know! It's making me feel like a massive idiot. But I look at my stats, I had to look up what the pink and blue numbers were, and I hardly understand what the Natures are and why they matter, and then the weird little detail, like "Startled by loud noises", and is it just flavor or important?

I get how to breed, but how to actually do it in a way that matters, is beyond me. Anyway, again, I'm just an idiot who hasn't played since Diamond, and it's fine. I know that none of this stuff really matters to "beat" the game, and I can look into it up as I need to know, but it's just opaque.

I'm happy I can pick and choose random battles, but I'm annoyed that some of the battles won't actually be visible in the tall grass meaning you have to find them anyway. I feel like a lot of features are like that for me. Cool but also annoying.

The pink and blue numbers no-one's going to blame you for though. It uses the japanese color-coding system which is the opposite of what westerners would intuitively think and for some reason didn't get localized.

I remember when XY came out someone mentioned that red is actually the stat that goes up and blue is the one that goes down and it caused like 4 pages of goons getting upset over learning this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The pink and blue numbers no-one's going to blame you for though. It uses the japanese color-coding system which is the opposite of what westerners would intuitively think and for some reason didn't get localized.

I remember when XY came out someone mentioned that red is actually the stat that goes up and blue is the one that goes down and it caused like 4 pages of goons getting upset over learning this.

I appreciate that they're giving players the chances for optimal builds, choosing your best/worst stat and all, but honestly that stuff could be hidden like before. I hear terms like EV and IV and I'm not really sure what they mean. I think a bit of chance would make it a touch more interesting.

Like it's cool I bring my Wingull all the way to the end, but it's unfortunate to know from the get-go I'm making a loss with good ole Captain Ahab, because I don't want to evolve him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the main thing I'd like to see is either nature mints reduced in price or BP easier to get

it'll probably be the latter but via Pokemon Home

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I name all my Pokemon jimbo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

I name all my Pokemon jimbo

same but Sephiroth

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I get how to breed, but how to actually do it in a way that matters, is beyond me.

This is way beyond what you need to know right now, but if you want to breed pokemon once you're in postgame, this post describes how: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883283&pagenumber=661&perpage=40#post500133803

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Genovera posted:

This is way beyond what you need to know right now, but if you want to breed pokemon once you're in postgame, this post describes how: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883283&pagenumber=661&perpage=40#post500133803

Quoting for future use, but thanks. I'll probably be doing it to get duplicates for things like Eevee's but yeah, that's some detail.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I named all the strong powerful bugs on my bug team after soups

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Eternatus: Gastr Blastr
Shiny G-Max Solar Power Charizard: StrctlyWorse
Toxapex: LetItHappen
Appletun: Farthing Applebottom

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm particularly proud of my Obstagoon called No-name Dog, my Mimikyu called Kentucky Owl, and I do think Raichu is quite suited to Cutty Sark.

Gmax Orbeetle named Posadie

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Appletun: Farthing Applebottom

That seems too long but it's powerful

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All my nicknames rule. Mostly because I sit and think about them way too loving much. For example I'm going to name my Cursola Eurydice because if I ain't being extra about it why bother.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

22nd egg.

Edit: Whoops, updated the picture after EV training. Interesting to see how much that does though, 281 -> 350 ATK and 259 -> 322 HP

Genovera fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 6, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That seems too long but it's powerful

In game, it's just "Farthing". But we know the full name. :hai:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm very proud of my Chewtle named Don Chewdle

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Finally got and started Sword!

It's very cute so far. My only complaints are A) giving me access to random encounters before Pokeballs. Don't tempt me! And B) the bump sound when you walk into a wall. I gotta check everywhere, don't punish me for it!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The only pokemon on my team I haven't theme named is BORB 2.0, who is a gmax replacement for BORB, who was a rookidee before he became a corviknight.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Some of my more personal favorite Nicknames:

Frosmoth: Snom Mom
Falinks: WeDemBois
Mr. Rime: Charlie Chillplin
Cinderace: Hopanero
Rillaboom: Sun Growku
Sirfetch'd: Duxit

Also not mine, but there's a goon out there who named their zacian "KNIFE CRIMES" and it never fails to make me laugh when I see it

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 6, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cactus posted:

So far I like the game but I'm a bit confused as to the difficulty. It seems like there's nothing stopping me from doing loads of max raids early on and vastly over overlevelling the content, making the gym challenges trivial. Admittedly I'm only on the second gym but I've already caught a load of grass mons and am in the process of feeding them tonnes of xp candy in preparation to kick the water people's arses.

Are there any game mechanics in place to counter this tactic or is it a case of make your own difficulty level by choosing how much you want to level up your dudes?

If you A) don't use EXP boosting items like the candies (horde those for post-game, really, to super level some dudes for the end-tier raids), B) don't go ham grinding or catching excessive amounts of wild Pokemon, and C) keep a shifting roster of about 9-10 'mons that you keep roughly evenly leveled, the EXP curve falls just right to make the campaign solidly challenging and fun. You'll end up around 1-2 levels lower than each area as you get to it like the older games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My best nickname might be Duxcaiber, the Sirfetch’d. Sir Leeksalot is another great one I’ve heard for it. I also wish I used Boolong for my Polteageist, but I didn’t think of it at the time so mine was just Oolong.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

ChaosArgate posted:

My best nickname might be Duxcaiber, the Sirfetch’d. Sir Leeksalot is another great one I’ve heard for it.

When I did my second playthrough, I saw that the German name for Sirfetch'd is Lauchzelot which is basically that. It was one of my favorites.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Consider; Caraduck

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ChaosArgate posted:

My best nickname might be Duxcaiber, the Sirfetch’d. Sir Leeksalot is another great one I’ve heard for it. I also wish I used Boolong for my Polteageist, but I didn’t think of it at the time so mine was just Oolong.

I've just been doing puns off whether they are authentic or not. ArTEAficial, LegiTEAmate, etc.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
are the menu noises still literally from gen 3 or are they just designed to sound exactly like the gen 3 menu noises? i don't know why this annoys me so much but it does. i remember black and white had some sick-rear end whoooooooosh selection noises but x/y had these really annoying clicky ones instead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm not sure a popup should be necessary for investigating literal shining beacons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/_cutgut/status/1213624156882788352?s=21

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just wanna say this is the best idea. I love marveling at the creativity and wit of others. One day I hope to nickname on the level of OFS.

ChaosArgate posted:

Sir Leeksalot is another great one I’ve heard for it.
Sir Leeksalot is too long, unfortunately, so mine’s just Leeksalot.

But for the others... my team’s not finalized yet, but so far I’ve settled on Peter Rabbit for Cinderace. Proud of all the others, though: Sir Cawsly (changed after Hootsworth the Rookidee evolved to something less owl-like); meaning my Bewear then filled the resulting -worth gap by changing to Hugglesworth from Cuddleston; Braeburn wins as an apple variety that sounds like a dragon name, and finally Dr. Hocking is my Cramorant—particularly proud of that one. (Thanks 100YrsofAttitude for being a tie-breaker on that one) Gift meowth is Quidston. Shiny Gyarados is Erik the Red, though I’m open to a better one. :shrug:

On a strongly-felt whim my Yamper was Coconut until she evolved retired from the party, and Thievul just seemed like a Hans to me.
(I only realized why at the annual Die Hard Christmas viewing :doh:)

E-flat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 6, 2020

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Names I'm proud of: My Inteleon is named H2 Double O7 because why shouldn't we be obtuse as hell.
Grimmsnarl was SUPPOSED to be named Follicula but that name tripped the profanity filter, so he became Nosfollicle instead.
Lisa Frank the Rapidash (With 0 IVs in Attack :negative: The IV Judge is bittersweet when checking your in-game party)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Some of my names so far have included:

Gorillaz the Rillaboom
Lenore the Corviknight
Vanille the Alcreamie
MacIntosh the Appletun (I have a MacIntosh apple tree in my backyard.)
Hobbes the Boltund (She’s named after my friend’s corgi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love naming things; it's practically half the game for me. Some of my favorites this gen are

Hell-o-tape the Centiskorch
Taikoko the Rillaboom
Pievern the Appletun
Snapstopher the Drednaw
Gorgatross the Cramorant
Baarnabus the Dubwool
Slabses the Runigrus
Chai Scream the Polteageist
Sassy Knoll the Eldegoss
Cholestolord the Alcremie