Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Imagine the cost to replace that door goddamn

Just call your local cooper.

Maybe Winnie will show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PurpleXVI posted:

Their faucets usually aren't a big issue(though the loving 1/2" fittings can be a bitch to get through the hole in the sink/tabletop if they're pre-attached to the hoses/hoses are pre-attached to the faucet and they're not removable), the main curse tends to be their kitchen sinks that usually have extremely non-standard drain solutions which means that if one thing goes fucky the whole thing needs replacing because for ?????? reasons it runs in 45mm pipe when there's only 40mm or 50mm as common spare parts, so you can't replace any of it.

I've just had enough nightmares with customers whose IKEA plumbing poo poo was unfixable because it was some IKEA-specific trash that I'd never touch or recommend any of their plumbing stuff.

45mm is basically 3", which is a very standard size for drainage pipe in the US/Canada.

My guess is that they just couldn't be bothered to redesign for the rest of the world that uses metric.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

45mm is basically 3"

45mm is like 1.8”.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

NoSpoon posted:

45mm is like 1.8”.
I thought it was 2/5ths of a pound of pipe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BogDew posted:

I thought it was 2/5ths of a pound of pipe.

It’s actually the weight of a sphere of iron with the same diameter as the pipe’s interior. :eng101:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lead out in cuffs posted:

45mm is basically 3", which is a very standard size for drainage pipe in the US/Canada.

My guess is that they just couldn't be bothered to redesign for the rest of the world that uses metric.

Sorry, but the 3/5 measurement conversion ratio is for black iron pipe only

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Careful with the racial edgelording please

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was working at a sort of material kiosk at the Shipyard like 13 years ago some dude came in and asked for two inch pipe. I turned around to look at the chart and he started shouting "you should know what size that is without looking at a chart!" and I replied with "why - do you?" To my amazement that shut him up.

Then all the pipes started clapping and I married the chart.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Platystemon posted:

It’s actually the weight of a sphere of iron with the same diameter as the pipe’s interior. :eng101:

So, like 400 pounds of concrete?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I was working at a sort of material kiosk at the Shipyard like 13 years ago some dude came in and asked for two inch pipe. I turned around to look at the chart and he started shouting "you should know what size that is without looking at a chart!" and I replied with "why - do you?" To my amazement that shut him up.

Then all the pipes started clapping and I married the chart.

At least in Danish plumbing, a plumbing inch is completely unrelated to a normal inch(like a three-quarter inch in plumbing measurements is roughly equal to a "real" inch, a measurement which we've still got but no one uses for anything), which is very confusing to the conscientious customers who measure their fittings before coming in, convert the mm to inches because they've heard plumbing stuff is usually in inches, and then confuse the hell out of both us and themselves.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

At least in Danish plumbing, a plumbing inch is completely unrelated to a normal inch(like a three-quarter inch in plumbing measurements is roughly equal to a "real" inch, a measurement which we've still got but no one uses for anything), which is very confusing to the conscientious customers who measure their fittings before coming in, convert the mm to inches because they've heard plumbing stuff is usually in inches, and then confuse the hell out of both us and themselves.

So kind of like carpentry where a "1" measurement is actually 0.75"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

amethystdragon posted:

You are probably thinking about dimensional lumber depth/width which is referred to by the unfinished measurements. That's all. Not even the length of that very same lumber. It's not a carpentry thing in general.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

amethystdragon posted:

A 2x4 is ~1.5"x3.5". A 2x6 is ~1.5"x5.5". 2x8 is ~1.5"x7.5". And so on. Take the nominal dimensions, then you lose however much material the lumbermill removed to make the board more or less flat and smooth.

So it's not a straight multiplication, it's "subtract half an inch", except that isn't guaranteed to be precise.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Content, content, I must have some content to make this all stop.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Crossposting for interest: Brutalist Turkey Library: PYF awesome/awful architecture

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887504

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

stealie72 posted:

Pretty sure my friends and I made a better structure out of literal scrap wood in my friend's backyard when we were 10.

Years ago, I watched a bunch of kids make a fort out of construction debris from a construction site. They got into the tools and framed it up. They didn't steal the tools, which is nice, and they were having fun. The only wood they used was the scrap. They built a very passable clubhouse out of junk wood.

It took them a full days work. They put the tools back and horsed around until night. The next day the construction guys knocked it down with their Bobcat and threw it in the dumpster.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And thus the circle of life continued...

Hope kids are still doing things like that.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A 2x4 is ~1.5"x3.5". A 2x6 is ~1.5"x5.5". 2x8 is ~1.5"x7.5". And so on. Take the nominal dimensions, then you lose however much material the lumbermill removed to make the board more or less flat and smooth.

So it's not a straight multiplication, it's "subtract half an inch", except that isn't guaranteed to be precise.

If you want nominal, just ask the sawmill. Give me 'till morning and I'll give Bucko a call. I can put in an order and, after sawing and drying, I'll get you an actual 2x4. Just need to know if you need rough cut or smooth. Also need to know if you're OK with Red Pine. I could probably get you White, but that's really pricey. If you need 40' Red, I could probably snake you some but it will cost. Have to get a hold of a lumberjack. There's some plantation pine that's just waiting for a buyer. Custom cut is acceptable. Best to grab 'em when it's time for thinning.

Bucko likes to cut. He lives to cut. He's retired, but he'd love a chance to cut some more. Don't negotiate with him though. If you talk about price, he'll only charge you less. He's an odd duck. One time he tried to give me money to buy some off-cuts of Red that he wasn't happy with. We tried to give him a C-note but he put it back in my shirt pocket. I was able to negotiate it down to zero. It's really hard to get him to take money for small orders.

By the way, I'm a big fan of writing tall tales but all of what I said above is true. I was raised in Northern MN logging country. I haven't seen Bucko in a while. Next time I'm up north, I should stop by and say hi. Hope he's not dead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe it's not that they start with something that actually has those dimensions according to a ruler and then trim it, it's that they start with something freshly cut from a log that meets those dimensions and then dry it out and this causes it to shrink.

They could dry the log out first and then cut it, but that'd take a lot, lot longer than drying the cut-up log.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

NoSpoon posted:

45mm is like 1.8”.

Yeah gently caress. I may have been very tired and/or in an altered state when I posted.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Zereth posted:

I believe it's not that they start with something that actually has those dimensions according to a ruler and then trim it, it's that they start with something freshly cut from a log that meets those dimensions and then dry it out and this causes it to shrink.

They could dry the log out first and then cut it, but that'd take a lot, lot longer than drying the cut-up log.

I do not believe that's the case.

To quote a generic builder's merchant

quote:

Regularised (consistent dimensions) by planing all round with 'eased' (rounded) corners for comfortable handling. Our regularised carcassing finishes 2mm off nominal thickness and 5mm off nominal width.

So that 2x4" (47x100mm) will actually be 45x95mm, as can be seen by the same 2x4 from a timber merchant that lists real dimensions:
https://www.alsfordtimber.com/timber/sawn-timber/treated-carcassing/sawn-carcassing-treated-eased-edge-45mm-x-95mm-c16-4595rtrfsc

I'm sure there is some shrinkage in the drying process but I'm pretty sure the nominal dimensions are the rough-sawn dimensions, and you're expected to know how much planing takes off. 0.5" seems like a lot to me, though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

“Listed building revenge story”

Great story.
That said - I don’t agree with having so many listed buildings in the UK, and it’s a ridiculous waste of time and money. Not to mention the fact that they’re just unsafe, and obviously can’t comply with any kind of modern building safety standards.

No idea how this kind of legislation makes it through a sane parliament, given the real problems we have as a country, especially concerning unsafe rental property.

There are many buildings slowly going derelict because it’s not economic to renovate them with these restrictions. They may be occupied.

In London and the South East it can be worthwhile to renovate a listed building. Elsewhere, it’s often an insane proposition.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

No idea how this kind of legislation makes it through a sane parliament, given the real problems we have as a country, especially concerning unsafe rental property.

There's not any way to really discuss this that doesn't belong better in D&D, but bear in mind that particular legislation happened 30 years ago.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Zereth posted:

Slower drying in the log is part of it, but especially for softwoods lumber quality degrades very quickly if you try and dry it in the log. Uneven drying along the length of the log and diferential tangential/radial shrinkage means big splits and checks and staining from various fungi. The goal is usually to get the tree from standing timber to sawn logs ASAP (this is esp. important for logs destined to be peeled for plywood veneers), and many log yards have huge sprinklers to keep the lumber wet until it is used-old sawmills often had ponds they floated logs in until processing. Lumber is rough sawn to slightly larger than the nominal dimension then stacked and air and kiln dried from roughly ~50% moisture content to usually around 16% MC for softwoods (above 16% MC mold and rot causing fungi can grow in the wood, mostly they can't below 16%) and shrink by ~5-10% in width and thickness as it dries. You end up with dry rough sawn lumber that is the nominal size-2"x4" or whatever. The rough lumber is then surfaced in a 4 sided planer and the corners eased and that's where most of the ~1/2" size difference between nominal and actual dims comes from. Wider lumber (2x8 and up) is usually 3/4" narrower than nominal because the shrinkage in drying is greater across the wider width. I'm not sure when it became common to surface dimensional lumber, but older houses are framed with full sized, rough lumber.

Things are different for hardwoods which are more likely to be sold rough and usually sold in random widths/lengths and they are occasionally actually allowed to dry in the log to some extent. The checking that develops at the ends usually radiates out from the center of the log, but in hardwoods the center of the log is usually destined to be a railroad tie where checking isn't as much of a concern.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still have trouble handling the fact that for Anglophones some soft woods are called "hardwood" because ???

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

mostlygray posted:

Years ago, I watched a bunch of kids make a fort out of construction debris from a construction site. They got into the tools and framed it up. They didn't steal the tools, which is nice, and they were having fun. The only wood they used was the scrap. They built a very passable clubhouse out of junk wood.

It took them a full days work. They put the tools back and horsed around until night. The next day the construction guys knocked it down with their Bobcat and threw it in the dumpster.

THey probably didn't want the inspector to come around, look at it and be all "why don't you guys do this good of a job on the houses"?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kids should have stolen the bobcat the next night and done some demo work of their own

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jerry Cotton posted:

I still have trouble handling the fact that for Anglophones some soft woods are called "hardwood" because ???
What is the distinction you use? It definitely isn't entirely intuitive, but softwood= conifers and hardwood=broadleaf tree. In general, conifers do have softer wood than broadleaf trees, but of course there are fairly hard-wooded conifers and soft-wooded broadleaf trees. It gets extra confusing because some conifers (baldcypress, eastern red cedar, esp.) get mostly sold rough sawn and handled more like hardwoods than as dimensional lumber as is most common with softwoods.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

And get this, black walnut? Not actually black!!
Zebra wood is, however, exactly as advertised.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

And get this, black walnut? Not actually black!!
Zebra wood is, however, exactly as advertised.

If you hear coconut, think horse-chestnut, not zebra wood

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In think we're just supposed to know which woods are hard and which are soft.

People still buy scots pine for flooring and then paint it lmao.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My wood is mostly soft these days.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wesleywillis posted:

Pining for your more youthful days? Fir not, it’ll be oakay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhh umm... YOSPOS, birhc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Pining for your more youthful days? Fir not, it’ll be oakay.

so yew say

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wesleywillis posted:

Maple some pills would help?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Even worse, for 2x8 and larger you actually lose 3/4" in the long direction, so it's 1.5" x 7.25" for a 2x8, 1.5" x 9.25" for a 2x10, etc.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Maple some pills would help?

Walnut try some natural remedies. Oakthough,
The Ohio State University Extension state that high-quality trees have diameters in excess of 18 inches, great height and trunks that are free from defects such as bumps, limbs, cracks and holes. So maybe you just don't measure up.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Walnut try some natural remedies. Oakthough,
The Ohio State University Extension state that high-quality trees have diameters in excess of 18 inches, great height and trunks that are free from defects such as bumps, limbs, cracks and holes. So maybe you just don't measure up.
I get their meaning, but pretty odd to refer to a tree having limbs as a 'defect'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I had a chat not too long ago with a carpenter from the UK, who was working in Whistler for a while. He worked on one new-build house where they poured the foundations in September. The developers didn't choose to protect the build site in any way through the winter. Apparently he and three other carpenters were spending half their time shovelling snow off bare wood so they could see where to put the nails.

They way he put it: "I really don't get it. Are they saving tons of money by not waiting six months? Because I know how much they're losing when they're paying carpenters to shovel snow."