Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Pretentious isn’t the right word, maybe upscale works better. Chunks are good, they just take slightly more effort in browning and more time to breakdown, but ground beef can be nice as well.

Yep, make both kinds because they're both good. I decide based on what I have to eat chili with - if it's fritos scoops or macaroni then ground it is, if I have nice corn tortillas then it's time for cubed chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
My work is doing a chili cook off this month. Does anybody have any "loved by the masses but not pretentious" recipes? I've gotten too fancy in the past with my pot luck offerings.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

wendy's chili clone, my midwestern family loves this crap
https://topsecretrecipes.com/wendys-chili-copycat-recipe.html

if no beans is true texas chili, this is something like the true minnesota chili

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I lost an office potluck chili cookoff a couple years ago to two cans of hormel thrown in a crock pot.

The midwest is a trip.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I live in Florida now, how can I add a taste of my home state to my vegan chili, don't say Meth it's a gimme

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Serve it in a hollowed out orange.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

syringe or naked man running from the cops in the bottom of every bowl

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Junkie Disease posted:

I live in Florida now, how can I add a taste of my home state to my vegan chili, don't say Meth it's a gimme

Serve with key limes to squeeze on the chili

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make your own bullets and put a small bit of chilli into each one, then fire wildly into the air while shouting “Healthcare is a privilege, not a right” and “all black men are lazy”

Florida chilli

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Junkie Disease posted:

Datil peppers and sprinkle on gator meat to dress the top.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Suspect Bucket posted:

Datil peppers and sprinkle on gator meat to dress the top.

Vegan Gator meats gonna cost some big bucks!

didnt know about the peppers being from St.Augustine ill try it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Junkie Disease posted:

Vegan Gator meats gonna cost some big bucks!

didnt know about the peppers being from St.Augustine ill try it

Deep fried cauliflower then.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've been eyeing the bags of chunk goat meat at my local store lately. Goat meat would make for an interesting chili, right? Anyone with some experience have OPINIONS about what kinds of chiles would work well with goat?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tendales posted:

I've been eyeing the bags of chunk goat meat at my local store lately. Goat meat would make for an interesting chili, right? Anyone with some experience have OPINIONS about what kinds of chiles would work well with goat?

Goat’s a really dark, earthy, irony meat, so I’d lower the ancho and up the brighter stuff like guajillos, or cascabels if you can get ‘em.

I’d probably do something like

3 parts guajillo
2 parts New Mexico
2 parts Pasilla
0.5-1 part Arbol depending on heat

A little sour cream and lime on top at the end would be great too.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

moleman posted:

My work is doing a chili cook off this month. Does anybody have any "loved by the masses but not pretentious" recipes? I've gotten too fancy in the past with my pot luck offerings.
This pretty basic, I've had vegetable-averse peebabies complain about the poblanos but I feel like something green and vegetal is needed in there, and I love poblanos.

1 lb each ground beef and ground pork, or all beef if you like
4-5 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
1 big onion, chopped. Don't skimp on the onion.
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 12 oz beers, anything pale to amber in color and malty. I like to cook with dark beers but I don't like anything darker than vienna lager in chili. Substitute weak stock if you don't want to use beer.
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can pinto beans with jalapeños, 2 cans if you really love beans
ancho chile powder to taste, or blended chile powder (I use half ancho and half guajillo, but ancho is the easiest straight powdered chile to find) if you use pre-blended "chile powder" it'll already have some cumin, oregeno and salt in it.
ground cumin to taste
ground cayenne to taste, or any other hotter powdered chile you like
cocoa powder, 1 tsp for each lb of meat
oregano, mexican preferred but greek is ok, to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
red wine or cider vinegar to taste, optional

Brown off the meat, do it hot and in small batches so it actually browns, get rid of most of the fat and set the meat aside.
Cook the onion, garlic and poblanos until soft in a couple tablespoons of the beef fat
Add the spices and cook over low heat a few minutes, add the beer, tomato, and beans, return the meat to the pot. Simmer for 40-60 minutes, skimming fat off as necessary. Cooking longer is fine but at around 2 hours the meat texture starts to break down. Add a small amount of vinegar to taste shortly before serving, that's my wife's contribution to this recipe and I have to say it's grown on me. Serve with bowls of chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and cubed mild cheese if you like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My dried chillies have arrived from Devon!

Time to head to the butchers and see what they’ve got...

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

This may already be common knowledge but I think after years of making chili I just recently learned how much better it is with properly browned ground beef. It's just insanely better flavor, like the difference between a great burger and the lovely one that your mom made.

My Beef Tips™:
  • Use coarse-ground beef if you can, it sticks together a lot better. Don't buy lean ground beef.
  • Use a nice pan (cast iron works great). After the beef finishes browning, you can move it to your chili pot and deglaze for flavor+++.
  • Get the pan screamin hot and don't crowd it. You should have to run your hood fan once you put the beef in. Brown in batches if you need to. No more than 75% of the pan should be full.
  • BEFORE you put the beef in the pan, smush it down to a few burger-sized patties of roughly 2in thickness, but without compressing it too much. Make sure it is at least a little loose so some heat can penetrate.
  • Season the beef generously with coarse ground kosher salt. Don't mix it in, just keep it on the edges.
  • Put that beef in. Don't touch it for at least a few minutes. For some reason if you touch it all the of the water will instantly leak out and you'll be steaming instead of searing. When you feel like you might have some brownination, use a spatula to gently lift one of the patties and inspect for The Brown. If you do not see The Brown then keep not touching it.
  • When you got some brown, flip each patty like a burger and let the other side cook for a bit.

Keep in mind you're cooking this beef for a while longer, so your meat should not really be done all the way through the middle. You just want the edges crispy as gently caress. This will improve the beefiness of your chili by tenfold.

If you did this right you should have naturally clumpy ground beef with nice, crispy, brown edges. If you did it wrong you should have a pile of watery grey mush.

When the beef is done, I usually remove it from the pan and then do my onions/peppers/etc in the beef fat, then throw everything together in the chili pot I'm using. It's kind of finicky but whatever.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My chillies have soaked and are now a paste, time to get the meat ready... Browning in the pan is so pedestrian, I decided this time to venture into the pissing rain and smoke my meat.

Chuck, pork ribs and venison ready for the first batch of 2020 chilli

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh my.

Scientastic has decided to show us how to make chili again.

:allears:

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Scientastic posted:

My dried chillies have arrived from Devon!

Time to head to the butchers and see what they’ve got...

Where in Devon?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk

They import some, grow some others themselves, and have a great range of fresh chillies when it’s not bitterly wintery. And they do next day delivery throughout the UK, I can’t recommend them strongly enough.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Cheers. Thanks.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chili con carne with rice, supplemented with some hot smoked sausage

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

This lovely earth is giving me a ton of time to make tons of chili to store up

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

someone give me a good chili recipe from this thread so I can make it tomorrow

beans or no beans I don't loving care

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

dried garbanzos, half as much dried black beans,
wash em good, toss em in a instapot fill with water about 2 centimeters above the bean line
add a tablespoon of olive oil, add one of those vegetable stock cubes
pressure cook on high for about an hour
while thats going get some diced yellow onion and jalapeno slices and fry em up good in a pan
when the pots done toss in the onion and jalapenos,
add 6-8 oz of whatever salsa you like,
if you like it thick add some textured vegetable protein, if your blessed with a Trader Joes add 1 of their Soy Chorizo to it
Add spices now, cayenne to taste same with adobo
Stir well pressure cook for like 5 minutes on high

Eat it hot, or be super cool a day later it taste pretty great cold outta the fridge

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Saeka posted:

Junkie Disease posted:

dried garbanzos, half as much dried black beans,
wash em good, toss em in a instapot fill with water about 2 centimeters above the bean line
add a tablespoon of olive oil, add one of those vegetable stock cubes
pressure cook on high for about an hour
while thats going get some diced yellow onion and jalapeno slices and fry em up good in a pan
when the pots done toss in the onion and jalapenos,
add 6-8 oz of whatever salsa you like,
if you like it thick add some textured vegetable protein, if your blessed with a Trader Joes add 1 of their Soy Chorizo to it
Add spices now, cayenne to taste same with adobo
Stir well pressure cook for like 5 minutes on high

Eat it hot, or be super cool a day later it taste pretty great cold outta the fridge

This is pretty much the best recipe ITT. Don't bother reading the thread Saeka, your request has been perfectly fulfilled. Again, do NOT read the thread.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
There's no "bean line" in my instapot, though. They're all just numbered. Chili is bullshit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Saeka posted:

For next time dig up my old post about Iron Leg's recipe.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Veg chili is good af and cacio e Pepe is better with more ingredients

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Every good cacio e pepe starts with a mirepoix. Which makes it an honorable member of the chili family.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Without hopefully devolving this into a discussion about "what is chili." Does anyone have any good recipes or guidance for a ground beef and sweet Italian sausage chili?
I need to clear out some freezer space and I don't have shrimp to make gumbo or enough beef to make texas chili.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I put this in the dinner thread and forgot we had a chili thread. It’s chili (with beans) pizza.

Surprisingly delicious to be honest, just needed a squeeze of lime juice.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Without hopefully devolving this into a discussion about "what is chili." Does anyone have any good recipes or guidance for a ground beef and sweet Italian sausage chili?
I need to clear out some freezer space and I don't have shrimp to make gumbo or enough beef to make texas chili.

I’m definitely not a super skilled cook, but:

If the Italian sausage is in links, Brown them up a bit on a couple sides, remove, and cut into coins like 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Brown those up some more on both sides, remove and reserve.

Say gently caress it all and make a separate blonde roux with some fat and some corn flour or masa. Reserve. Why a roux? I dunno. Feels right.

Form your ground beef into a single big patty. Put it in the pan and let it sear until you get a nice brown crust. Sprinkle the top of the patty with your seasonings. Chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic or onion powder, etc. flip the patty and let the other side sear a bit but take care not to burn the spices. Break it up, then toss in some diced up veggies. Onions, peppers, crushed garlic, etc. If you wanna add tomato paste add that too and let it darken. Once veggies have softened a bit, toss in your roux, your liquids (chicken/beef broth and beer), crushed tomatoes if you want; and minced up chipotles and adobo sauce if you have them (I consider these pretty essential). You can also add umami bombs like fish sauce or msg or marmite or what have you. I like adding a couple spoonfuls of brown sugar as well.

Let the whole thing simmer for a while. Hour or two. Toss the chunks of sausage back in and simmer for like 20 minutes. I’d recommend in the last 10 minutes or so to add in some diced or sliced fresh peppers too, so they keep some crispness. You can add in canned and drained beans here too if you like. Taste for seasoning and serve over rice to help stretch it, with a fried egg, with corn bread, and more.

This should wind you up with a thick stewy bowl of beefy and spicy chili with some big chunks of sausage as treats.

Ingredients (some optional)
Fresh Veggies: onions, garlic, fresh peppers of any variety, also you can pre chop and freeze peppers if you’re limiting grocery trips
Canned: beans, chipotles in adobo, tomatoes, maybe broth?, tomato paste
Dried: corn flour or masa, lard or other fat for roux, maybe broth?, brown sugar
Seasonings: chili powder (homemade if you can manage), cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powder, msg
Sauces: fish sauce, marmite, beer

fr0id fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 24, 2020

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My work's annual cook off is cancelled. Won't be able to defend my 3-1 record. Probably quitting next year. Just adds to my overall mental ... sadness. gently caress this virus.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

just make chili for the break room in a slow cooker to keep it hot

no one will contest your victory

no potlucks of ANY sort allowed at my workplace either. so, so sad

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We should ICSA for chili, it's been a while

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Glumslinger posted:

We should ICSA for chili, it's been a while

I agree wholeheartedly with this, repeated discourse might reveal further truths.

We must, regrettably, defer to Nietzche when he states "Es sollte nicht erlaubt sein, im Zustande der Verliebtheit einen Entschluss über sein Chili zu fassen und einer heftigen Grille wegen den Charakter seiner Gesellschaft ein für allemal festzusetzen: man sollte die Schwüre der Feinschmecker öffentlich für ungültig erklären und ihnen der Chili verweigern: — undzwar, weil man der Chili unsäglich wichtiger nehmen sollte!"

This initial infatuation with the arguments presented must not blind us to the essential arguments required: without the didactic critique, we are lost. In philosophy, as in science, results are validated by repetition.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 3, 2020

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Saeka posted:

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 large can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 bay leaves
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 table spoon curry powder
1 cup shell pasta
1 can cannellini beans
2 cups baby spinach
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Throw it all in a pot for and hour or two.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Why are people still cooking out everything good about extra virgin olive oil? Use an oil that doesn't turn bitter as soon as it gets hot.