Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Complexity is bad, overall. Good design should aim to simplify things whenever it can - as one notable frenchman said, perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.

Of course, there are some things that are overall good, that come with a side-effect of making the game more complex - but complexity is the cost you pay for those good things. Making something more complicated purely for the sake of complexity is one of the worst things you could be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jabor posted:

Complexity is bad, overall. Good design should aim to simplify things whenever it can - as one notable frenchman said, perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.

Of course, there are some things that are overall good, that come with a side-effect of making the game more complex - but complexity is the cost you pay for those good things. Making something more complicated purely for the sake of complexity is one of the worst things you could be doing.

You have to relate this to Imperator somehow for it to not be just platitudes. :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, Imperator systems were more interconnected too. Like war killing and displacing POPs on a large scale thus affecting economy, diplomacy affecting who you trade with and thus allowing for a variety of bonuses. Province geography combines with trade goods making every province very unique. Combination of available resources like steppe horses or elephant with your cultural traiditions means that culture, ideas, trade and military systems are tied to each other in a very complex way. Having 4 MP types meant that you have an interesting periods of selective abandunce and available resources affect your strategy as opposed of current system of you always getting richer.

Nah, like the only part of that remotely contributing to complexity was POPs.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
There are a lot of mechanics in Imperator which I'd really like in ck3 or eu5.
- Pops (how they migrate and are impacted by war, how they really evolve over time, impact on culture and religion)
- Difference between settlements and cities
- Tech (how you can influence it by building cities, how it's a simple system that does not need tech groups or tons of scripted events to function, although there should be more impact from bordering/trading with other advanced nations)
- Provinces
- Trade goods and bonusses (mostly because of impact of diplomacy and strategic bonusses, although I prefer the way eu4 calculates commerce income and uses trade power)
- Aggressive expansion (the more you have the faster it decreases)
- Army automation
- Food and attrition

I'm probably forgetting some as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The relation is that a lot of the "complexity" in Imperator (at least at launch) seems like complexity for it's own sake, rather than serving some concrete purpose.

EU4 has similar issues, though a lot of that comes down the DLC model.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jabor posted:

The poet you're quoting was a poet and aviator and he was talking about airplanes (and machines in general), and regarding humanities efforts to streamline things as beautiful and the natural order of things. I love this quote but it's often misinterpreted. I think you're close to his meaning tho.

Underlying complexity fine, as long as, as de Saint-Exupery desired, the outcome the user/viewer experiences is simple and feels natural. After all, some things must naturally be complex (an airplane or a classical period political simulator), but they shouldn't feel that way, they should feel natural. I think that's where imperator faltered somewhat, it feels dry and mechanical, rather than feeling immersive in its period.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, Imperator systems were more interconnected too. Like war killing and displacing POPs on a large scale thus affecting economy, diplomacy affecting who you trade with and thus allowing for a variety of bonuses. Province geography combines with trade goods making every province very unique. Combination of available resources like steppe horses or elephant with your cultural traiditions means that culture, ideas, trade and military systems are tied to each other in a very complex way. Having 4 MP types meant that you have an interesting periods of selective abandunce and available resources affect your strategy as opposed of current system of you always getting richer.

There is a lot of busywork, especially now with pop, economy and character systems turned into simulations meaning that the difference between a genius choice and doing nothing is barely noticeable. But the Johan's point is its more complex which it is. And also that people said that it wasn't complex enough which they do in this very thread. Johan realized that by complexity people mean a bunch of meaningless numbers grow and cancel each other out. So now you have dozens of types of buildings that give you 10% to one of three types of your income, and if you're used to having a joy from assigning a genius to some government position and getting a huge boon then too bad. Johann now turns this bonus into a 20 years progress bar cause he remembers how you complained about unrealistic instant conversion.

This is kind of just a ton of nonsense, though? Stacking modifiers is not complexity in and of itself. It's hardly even engaging.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Of course it's not a complexity when we realize that complexity is not about a number of moving parts but about what you like.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cease to Hope posted:

the risk, here, is repeating EU4, where every religion turned into escalating rats-nests of mechanics that have nothing to do with the religion's role in history or the actual practices of its adherents

as bad as decadence was (and still is), the hajj and ramadan are still some of the best design in CK2, to my mind. they're still my favorite part of playing a muslim.

Problem being that people seem to legitimately like the escalating rats nest of mechanics even when they make the game clunky as gently caress, because "my unique regional experience, every country must feel different". No better way to force things to feel different than having an entirely separate dumb religion or government subgame attached to the game depending on which part of the map you're on.

YF-23 posted:

I played Imperator after the 1.1 patch and it felt... weird. Like a lot of the systems in that game are optional. The thing I noticed the most was a lack of tooltips or otherwise adequate in-game explanations, I'd have to hunt down things in the interface myself. I didn't realise building roads was a thing you could do until much later, and the road connections in a province then have an effect on pop promotion speed; but the game won't tell you that, rather it will let you discover it yourself. If you never think to look too hard at your options in the army you can easily go through the entire game without realising they're there. Similarly with army tactics, the animal button, which looked to me like an on-off toggle because it had the appearance of a button and was described in similar terms as the generals' abilities in HoI4 in its tooltip; it took until I got curious enough to click it to discover that it's essentially a dropdown choice of passive bonii to troop types.

The game is chokeful of things like that so I wouldn't begrudge anyone for thinking it didn't have mechanical complexity; it's there but you are rarely asked to interact with it. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, though the UI could afford to be a lot more intuitive.

Yeah Imperator's biggest and still existing problem is that the UI is horrible

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also apparently for the less well-known religions the rat's nest can be a turn-off because it's too silly and caricatured. I've seen zoroastrians online less than pleased that thanks to CK2, their religion is now widely known as "the one that lets you gently caress your sister" and nothing else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'll admit I kinda like the EU4 rat's nest of mechanics, but I wish it was more grounded in reality than poo poo like "play Russia, have infinite infantry".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'll admit I kinda like the EU4 rat's nest of mechanics, but I wish it was more grounded in reality than poo poo like "play Russia, have infinite infantry".
Infinite Infantry that get a bigger bonus to their fire value than anyone else, too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Infinite Infantry that get a bigger bonus to their fire value than anyone else, too.
Infinite Infantry that get a bigger bonus to their fire value than anyone else and magically spawns out of thin air for free once their unique mana meter has filled up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When powerful countries get immersion stuff in the future, I'd like more effort spent making it add to the challenge and not just be extra bonuses- like I've said, ideally a country like France, Russia, or Castile for an experienced player wouldn't end up so dreadfully easy that they are never touched.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah but then you'd actually need meaningful internal mechanics

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the way that mechanics should be done is to think of how to add this in as an interesting system that anyone could make use of given the right circumstances, but it's most likely to be used by the particular nation it's designed around. Like if you take CK2 as an example, if you start out in the steppes as a nomad, that gets you access to nomadic gameplay, which is limited to them but it's a big region so it's not just "one nation". So that's mechanics from Horse Lords. But if you wanted to, you could pretty easily convert to Catholicism and get the ability to join in with the new crusades added by Holy Fury, and the other catholic stuff added by Sons of Abraham. If you settle as a tribe, you get access to the tribal mechanics from Charlemagne, then later you could become a merchant republic to play with mechanics from The Republic. All the while you've got stuff from Reaper's Due, Monk's and Mystics, Way of Life, and Conclave to play with, because the bulk of the features from those DLCs are active for everyone all the time, and Jade Dragon because you're going to be close enough to the east to have access to the China mechanics.

So that's 10 DLCs where you get to use the bulk of the features added (rather than minor stuff like retinues from Legacy of Rome, hence why I haven't counted it), because they were added in a way that you can get full access to them without needing to tag switch via console or anything, you can do it all via normal gameplay. Out of that entire set, Horse Lords is really the only one you can't "convert" into. Starting as Feudal also limits your ability to switch government types but you can still pretty easily switch religion or culture if you want to get into a specific thing related to those. Very little in CK2 is actually hard-locked to specific tags and that's why it just works better to me than the way EU4's DLC model is set up. Basically the only DLC content that's mostly gated behind one specific nation is Legacy of Rome with its focus on content for the Byzantines.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the way that mechanics should be done is to think of how to add this in as an interesting system that anyone could make use of given the right circumstances, but it's most likely to be used by the particular nation it's designed around.

I think devs really want countries to feel unique. E.g. your Poland can expand East, switch religion and culture, cover the same territory as historical Russia, have the capital in the same place - but it won't get unique mission or government or modifiers. Summoning Streltsy is only for those who were East Slavs in 1444, if you were West Slav at that point and switched later you don't get that. And of course, devs could have implemented some sort of "Royal Guard" system that would have a special meaning for select nations (by the way Russia is far from the best fit for that idea cause Streltsy do not exist for most of the period and in general are just another name for the soldier, not some special Pretorian-style guard. Russians had something like that later and it was called - you won't believe this - Imperial Guard). But then you wouldn't feel playing Russia is as unique.

Endless games (by Amplitude) did similar things nicely. They usually release an expansion with a big feature and a faction that specializes in using it. E.g. Endless Legend had espionage expansion with a faction that can't do research themselves and is forced to use espionage (it has a lot of other unique stuff apart from that). Everyone else can spy too but they don't get as good at it. That systems seem to work fine.

Another reason devs might not do that is their commitment to the idea of every DLC being optional which probably turns game development for them as hellish as it is for a new player. Now if they add feature that breaks Streltsy only Russia suffers. And they don't have to worry about, say, Iberian country becoming Russia and having a weird combination of Metropoly, Order and Boyar interaction or something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also apparently for the less well-known religions the rat's nest can be a turn-off because it's too silly and caricatured. I've seen zoroastrians online less than pleased that thanks to CK2, their religion is now widely known as "the one that lets you gently caress your sister" and nothing else.

yeah. CK2 tried to recapture the magic of TOG several times (and arguably did a couple times) but the weird silly fun neopagan fantasy poo poo isn't necessarily a good model for everything

see also: satanists

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the way that mechanics should be done is to think of how to add this in as an interesting system that anyone could make use of given the right circumstances, but it's most likely to be used by the particular nation it's designed around. Like if you take CK2 as an example, if you start out in the steppes as a nomad, that gets you access to nomadic gameplay, which is limited to them but it's a big region so it's not just "one nation". etc.

the downside is that not all of these mechanics generalize well. it was a problem starting in sword of islam, which encouraged you to jail and isolate your sons by design, but continued as far as horse lords, where every steppe-dweller regardless of culture is a would-be genghis khan (but all of the finns are sedentary?)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

it was a problem starting in sword of islam, which encouraged you to jail and isolate your sons by design

Tbf isn't that what the ottomans did? Though that's on the tail end of CK (or maybe after, they might have only started doing it later, I don't remember).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Staltran posted:

Tbf isn't that what the ottomans did? Though that's on the tail end of CK (or maybe after, they might have only started doing it later, I don't remember).

yeah (and IIRC you're right about the timeline) but there are a whole lot of muslims who were not turks, and most people aren't going to be playing turks anyhow because of the situation at most starting dates

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

The Ottomans only really seriously started doing that after CKII's timeline, correct; early on the sons of Sultans would be sent to govern a city or small province in their early tend and one would simply be picked as the heir and the other some would usually just be okay with it. If I remember correctly it was close to 1500 before the brothers started killing each other before or after taking the throne on a regular basis.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can someone please make a mapgame about what really matters in history, which is dumplings?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

x-posting from the hearts of iron thread

420 Gank Mid posted:

Mapgoons are playing a new, weird, completely a-historic Hearts of Iron game starting this next Sunday January 12th at 8pm UTC and running 3 hours sessions every following Sunday until we're all dead!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Id94yi0CpkbsZWI0k6nWYaCC9uczuyweyUl3MlqfYY/edit#gid=0

Whether you have 4 or 4,000 hours played, or never ever even played multiplayer before you're welcome to join us smashing Men, Material, and anachronistic NATO counters into one another.

The jist of it is we'll have 4 players controlling major nations (USA, Germany, USSR, Japan) take turns drafting other nations until every player and any significant ai leftovers are on a team, then we'll race to set the world on fire.

There's a permanent discord invite in most mapgoon threads behind the paywall in PGS such as in this thread right here or you can PM me here and I'll send one direct to you

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can someone please make a mapgame about what really matters in history, which is dumplings?

1. What is this book

e: removed dumb question because I read the map better

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
saved up enough pasta mana to shift to little twirly raviolis, but I keep getting awful butchers so I'm still stuck filling them with boiled lamb in the 17th century

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

1. What is this book

e: removed dumb question because I read the map better

Cuisine and Empire: Cooking in World History by Rachel Laudan

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I was browsing Steam today and came across an upcoming Grand Strategy game not made by Paradox?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/946990/Secret_Government/

Definitely seems inspired by them, but I was wondering if anyone else had more info/thoughts?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Paradox knockoffs tend to vary wildly from "absolute trash" to "yeah it's janky and kinda cheap looking but so are all the classic paradox games there's good bones under that interface." I have no idea where this one is gonna land though never heard of it until now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's got "secret" in the name so it has very large boots to fill

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DMW45 posted:

So, I was browsing Steam today and came across an upcoming Grand Strategy game not made by Paradox?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/946990/Secret_Government/

Definitely seems inspired by them, but I was wondering if anyone else had more info/thoughts?

With games like this, I always struggle to judge them fairly as riffing off Paradox or not; Paradox games really defined the genre, for better or worse.

Anyway, I dug up this thread because apparently there's been some drama with Paradox ghosting a bunch of streamers? Anyone know what that's about?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only thing I heard of is that Arumba didn't get invited to a LAN party they were hosting and he was upset they didn't contact him to tell him he wasn't invited.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arumba is a whiny trash person, news at 11.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I think any "influencer" is by definition some kind of narcissist

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hellioning posted:

The only thing I heard of is that Arumba didn't get invited to a LAN party they were hosting and he was upset they didn't contact him to tell him he wasn't invited.

probably best that they don't put a guy who can't read text when he's under pressure in a multiplayer in-person situation, tbh

he'd end up screaming about how it wasn't fair that he married a priestess instead of a princess or something

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Secret Government has a pretty boring name. The theme is cool, but they're pretty vague so far about what the mechanics or core gameplay would look like. I can imagine the idea applying not just to secret cabals but to all kinds of non-state actors.

The developer GameTrek looks like a small Russian studio with one other published game (pictured), so I wonder if they really have the ability to make a game like the current Paradox games.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 20, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Jazerus posted:

he'd end up screaming about how it wasn't fair that he married a priestess instead of a princess or something

Screwing up in a funny way is the best path to a streamer Olympus.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Enjoy posted:

I think any "influencer" is by definition some kind of narcissist

To be fair, that's Paradox's (possibly) derogatory term for streamers, not what they call themselves.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Family Values posted:

To be fair, that's Paradox's (possibly) derogatory term for streamers, not what they call themselves.

Nope, that’s industry standard. Not derogatory.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nope, that’s industry standard. Not derogatory.

I don’t know about the ‘industry’, but all the streamers seem to refer to themselves as streamers, and generally when you ignore what people call themselves and apply your own label to them it betrays a certain amount of antagonism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Family Values posted:

I don’t know about the ‘industry’, but all the streamers seem to refer to themselves as streamers, and generally when you ignore what people call themselves and apply your own label to them it betrays a certain amount of antagonism.

There are influencers that are not streamers, and streamers that aren't influencers. It's an umbrella term, and this post is ridiculous.