Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

The Star Wars Nipples thread: New nipples until you’re dust.

BIG NIPPLES FORCE DYAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Exogol is where you go when Hell is full.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ruddiger posted:

BIG NIPPLES FORCE DYAD

lmao

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Kylo's nipples are the only human nipples we see in a Star Wars movie btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkGkSG1-d0

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Nah that's a Rancor child, they undergo forcegenesis as they age and mature into a full grown Rancor like his father who was senselessly killed in the pit.

Alternatively, this proves that the Rancor master is a long lost Skywalker.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

drat, way more nips in Star Wars than I can remember, clearly.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of course, this means that there were literally a million Darth Mauls being kept in reserve, since long before Phantom Menace, for no clear reason.

I don't recall your take on Maul. Why do you say this?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Honestly I'm surprised her arena combat suit is not at iconic as Leia's metal bikini.

The gold bikini is explicitly sexualized both in universe and costuming. The arena outfit is only implicitly sexual in universe while obviously designed to be explicitly sexual in costuming.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

PJOmega posted:

The gold bikini is explicitly sexualized both in universe and costuming. The arena outfit is only implicitly sexual in universe while obviously designed to be explicitly sexual in costuming.

it's also not nearly as distinctive and memorable as the bikini even if it does look good

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Low Desert Punk posted:

it's also not nearly as distinctive and memorable as the bikini even if it does look good

hard disagree
the scratch revealing her body is the moment that seals the deal.
Leia's bikini felt too disgusting, too demeaning.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

I don't recall your take on Maul. Why do you say this?

In Lucas’ series, Maul says: “at last, we will reveal ourselves the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge.”

Who is “we” here?

A naive viewer might believe “we” refers to the Sith: he and Palpatine. It’s the “revenge of the Sith” from Episode 3. But then, why is Maul personally so angry? The Sith were wiped out by the Jedi centuries ago. He has no connection to these ancient Sith - so what did the Jedi do to him?

Maul’s statement is contextualized by the colonialism and slavery in the Republic, the Jedis’ complicity in exploitation. Maul displays a ‘tribal’ facepaint/tattoo designed to accentuate his literal red skin. He stands for the unresolved injustices suffered by Anakin and the Gungans. The Jedi see Maul as a devil because of his race, and he leans into that as a show of defiance (as militant Chewbacca does in Episode 4).

ROS then restores the naive/stupid interpretation to canon. Retroactively, “we” refers to the Exogolians, literal satanic ghouls. As with so many other things, they borrowed a thing from Lucas but omitted the narrative context. And, in this case, it’s also a sociopolitical context.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Leia's bikini felt too disgusting, too demeaning.

i mean, exactly, why do you think it was memorable and distinctive to nerds

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always felt bad for the rancor handler.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It always stuck to me as more embarrassing than anything else. Like the series hit the bottom right there.

Padme’s outfits don’t elicit that same type of shameful feeling so I like them more.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

In Lucas’ series, Maul says: “at last, we will reveal ourselves the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge.”

Who is “we” here?

A naive viewer might believe “we” refers to the Sith: he and Palpatine. It’s the “revenge of the Sith” from Episode 3. But then, why is Maul personally so angry? The Sith were wiped out by the Jedi centuries ago. He has no connection to these ancient Sith - so what did the Jedi do to him?

Maul’s statement is contextualized by the colonialism and slavery in the Republic, the Jedis’ complicity in exploitation. Maul displays a ‘tribal’ facepaint/tattoo designed to accentuate his literal red skin. He stands for the unresolved injustices suffered by Anakin and the Gungans. The Jedi see Maul as a devil because of his race, and he leans into that as a show of defiance (as militant Chewbacca does in Episode 4).

ROS then restores the naive/stupid interpretation to canon. Retroactively, “we” refers to the Exogolians, literal satanic ghouls. As with so many other things, they borrowed a thing from Lucas but omitted the narrative context. And, in this case, it’s also a sociopolitical context.

Ahh, okay. So Maul is both condemned to and a product of Exogol, and can be reproduced en-masse like star destroyers or red storm troopers or Palpatines? Just like whatever it takes to have new threats and villains? I like this parallel between Maul and Palpatine. Both were literally cast down into pits and thought destroyed, but they cannot be destroyed because they're just expressions of this evil that exists only to be existential evil.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Second Question: Exogol????

Call it a plot hole, but the Exogolians don’t employ droid or clone slaves for some reason. But then, they ask for no money either. They want nothing but manpower. The economics of it are baffling. Who’s building all this?

Anyways, Exogol is a thing now.

It's simple. Palpatine sold his soul to the The Devil.

Specifically, he sold the soul of General Grevious which he'd captured through his unnatural Sith magic to...

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ymlz9a/futurama-deal-with-the-robot-devil

...who used his unlimited resources and tortured slaved to knock out a few hundred Star Destroyers with Dicks.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Everyone posted:

It's simple. Palpatine sold his soul to the The Devil.

Specifically, he sold the soul of General Grevious which he'd captured through his unnatural Sith magic to...

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ymlz9a/futurama-deal-with-the-robot-devil

...who used his unlimited resources and tortured slaved to knock out a few hundred Star Destroyers with Dicks.

general grievous is a cyborg, not a robot. NOT CANON.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

general grievous is a cyborg, not a robot. NOT CANON.

Palpatine gives no fucks (except the one gently caress he gave to have a kid). He buttfucked the Jedi, threw the Senate at Yoda, plunged the galaxy into war where he led both sides and survived Death Star II. You think he can't slide one past ol' Red Metal, you're dreaming.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

it owns that hell is real in star wars

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Low Desert Punk posted:

it owns that hell is real in star wars

So is Satan.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

2house2fly posted:

Rewatching the Plinkett reviews bc I'm at a loose end and it always made me laugh that his script doctor suggestion for fixing episode 3 was "make it so the republic is invaded from outside by evil clone monsters"

I mean that one made sense just in the whole, why is it called the Clone Wars? And it never made sense why a galaxy spanning Republic didn't have a standing army. Or that they couldn't cobble together the various planetary armies if there is no single one?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

Ahh, okay. So Maul is both condemned to and a product of Exogol, and can be reproduced en-masse like star destroyers or red storm troopers or Palpatines? Just like whatever it takes to have new threats and villains? I like this parallel between Maul and Palpatine. Both were literally cast down into pits and thought destroyed, but they cannot be destroyed because they're just expressions of this evil that exists only to be existential evil.

To clarify: Snoke is a clone (I guess), but Palpatine and the other hooded figures are not. Sheev still carries his injuries from the Death Star (2), so this is the same body that fell into the pit. (ROS simply retcons the explosion of the Death Star (2) to be much smaller.) Disney Maul is, likewise, still bisected in Solo.

To put things most simply, Exogol is a retirement home for vanquished satanic mutants.

Since the hooded figures are all ‘merely’ retired Sith, there is a finite amount of them.

(The people staffing the boats are also not clones; they‘re First Order troops that have been hastily reassigned to the new ships.)

The main question here is: why retire?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Eimi posted:

I mean that one made sense just in the whole, why is it called the Clone Wars? And it never made sense why a galaxy spanning Republic didn't have a standing army. Or that they couldn't cobble together the various planetary armies if there is no single one?

The clones are on the republic’s side because it was going to be hell on the film ratings if showing the Jedi at their prime meant watching them cut down thousands of flesh-and-blood beings in a war.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Eimi posted:

It's called the Clone Wars because it involved a big army of clones, the Republic hasn't needed an army in a long time because individual planets have their own, and they probably could cobble together one but a) having an independent army of disposable clones makes going to war more palatable, and b) Palpatine wants his soldiers to be loyal to him specifically

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

It makes some sense. For one thing, there was nobody to fight. It's not like the Republic was like the Federation and had Romulans/Klingons/Borg on their borders. Pretty much everyone was already in the Republic. They're weren't any outside threats to defend again. Meanwhile, the Jedi with their emphasis on control/statis/harmony could sense trouble spots, get to them and defuse them with a Force-pushed word in somebody's ear. Or a lightsaber through somebody's guts.

And they had a monopoly on Force power prior to Palpatine. So, why spend a fuckton of resources on a standing army when the Jedi will fix everything and there's nobody to really fight in any case?

BTW, for those wondering about the Dicked Star Destroyer origin, the simplest explanation is that Palpatine had already built the "Star Destroyer" parts as the Emperor. Once he died, presumably various secret orders where transmitted to various captains and crews to take their ships to a particular set of coordinates that ended up leading to Exigol. At which point the crews where put into some kind of stasis or something by the will of the Emperor/Knights of Ren/Sith.

Once he came fully back Shreev dipped into hidden Imperial accounts to pay for building the guns and attaching them to the ships. So he gets his super-fleet. Also, he cripples any potential rivals for the throne by removing so many military assets from the Empire at a critical time, allowing the Rebellion to destroy/capture his various potential rivals. He uses Snoke and the First Order as cats paws. If the New Republic crushes them, he waits for a better time. If they cripple the Republic he moves to reveal himself and take control.

And none of that poo poo is made at all explicit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the clone plot makes sense; Sheev needs an army loyal to him and there is 0 indication in Phantom Menace the Republic has ever needed an actual organized fleet given their solution to problems seems to be "throw some Jedi at it" and Naboo has a contingent of its own weapons and hardware that wouldnt be useful for bombing the Gungans.

As for its name in English we have the French and Indian War which is so named after the people on the same side who were fought against. Calling a war that launched the use of cloned soldiers into the public conciousness and ended the use of drones for battle makes sense.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 6, 2020

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Everyone posted:

And none of that poo poo is made at all explicit.

I don't see why you would expect your fanfiction to be explicitly presented in the movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Having a more unambiguous external threat would have presumably helped to support the prequels having more likable/heroic characters. CD is just going to talk past RLM from there, there's simply an irreconcilable split over whether not having any likable characters is a bug or a feature

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just realized with this being "High Republic" era disney will be unable to resist including Darth Plageis or the inventor of X-wings

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
speaking of fanfiction, whatever happened to that poster who was adamant that the leaks were some redditor's stupid fanfiction lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Horizon Burning posted:

speaking of fanfiction, whatever happened to that poster who was adamant that the leaks were some redditor's stupid fanfiction lol

The leaks being true actually supports that claim

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, you know what’s hosed up?

On reviewing TFA and considering the sequel trilogy as a whole...for all its faults, I actually like The Last Jedi the most. Sure, it fucks itself towards the end, but it’s pretty drat good before that point.

TFA on the other hand starts the whole nullification of everything in the original trilogy and is a pretty paint-by-numbers action film anyway, overly reliant on nostalgia.

TROS has the same problems jacked up to eleven by deciding to retcon/override the previous film and ending up faceplanting into dog poo poo as a result. We know exactly how terrible it is.

People only liked TFA because it was the first big Star Wars in a decade and it set the tone for the rest of the trilogy. If someone else had directed TFA and everything else was identical, TROS would be even more poorly received because of how trite and dumb it is in comparison.

gently caress, what a waste.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
TLJ starts off with a your mom joke and one of the worst choreographed space battles in the franchise so I wouldn’t say the start is any good either. The commander of the dreadnaught sums up my feelings for the movie pretty nicely.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The mom joke is dumb but nowhere near as bad as they fly now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Having a more unambiguous external threat would have presumably helped to support the prequels having more likable/heroic characters. CD is just going to talk past RLM from there, there's simply an irreconcilable split over whether not having any likable characters is a bug or a feature
It would have also turned the Republic from a corrupt society destroyed by its own flaws into a nice place that everything was great before the evil foreigners came, and I don't believe that was what Lucas was going for

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

there's simply an irreconcilable split over whether not having any likable characters is a bug or a feature

this, unlikeable characters ftw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pollyanna posted:

The mom joke is dumb but nowhere near as bad as they fly now.

It wasn't until I watched TLJ at home release with subtitles that I realized Poe was calling Hux "General Hugs" lmao.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Which one of you is in this hookah bar loudly telling your kidnapping victim about your star trek/star war/marvel/dc/dune/mass effect/Pacific rim/he-man/Journey to the West/Greek mythology/Jesus cinematic multiverse fanfiction movie plan where you intend to play both Superman and Batman?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

PJOmega posted:

Which one of you is in this hookah bar loudly telling your kidnapping victim about your star trek/star war/marvel/dc/dune/mass effect/Pacific rim/he-man/Journey to the West/Greek mythology/Jesus cinematic multiverse fanfiction movie plan where you intend to play both Superman and Batman?

don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

To clarify: Snoke is a clone (I guess), but Palpatine and the other hooded figures are not. Sheev still carries his injuries from the Death Star (2), so this is the same body that fell into the pit. (ROS simply retcons the explosion of the Death Star (2) to be much smaller.) Disney Maul is, likewise, still bisected in Solo.

To put things most simply, Exogol is a retirement home for vanquished satanic mutants.

Since the hooded figures are all ‘merely’ retired Sith, there is a finite amount of them.

(The people staffing the boats are also not clones; they‘re First Order troops that have been hastily reassigned to the new ships.)

The main question here is: why retire?

Sure, Palpatine retains injuries from Jedi, and Maul is still bisected, and even the chopped up Snoke bodies in the tube recall the last image of him from TLJ, so clearly, even if they are clones in a mechanical sense, they're clones who reflect the experience of their originals, and are those originals brought back to (un)life. But you said, "there were literally a million Darth Mauls being kept in reserve," which is practically an infinite amount of him. I'm interested in the idea that Skywalker has rendered him just another repeatable villain that can be recalled from reserve.

I like that you characterize Exogol as a retirement home and ask why retire. It doesn't seem a place one chooses to retire to. Palpatine and Maul are cast down pits. And the "retirement" they experience is simply another layer of liability. Maul is the shadowy figure behind Crimson Dawn. Palpatine is the shadowy figure behind the First and Final Orders.

So the answer becomes: why note "retire"? Doing so achieves the same great power of the Jedi: immortality. In narrative terms, Palpatine and Maul do the same thing all the blue ghost and voice over Jedi do and more.