Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Mango definitely got me thinking about leasing. It’s very enticing to people like me.

Thanks, guaranteed. The Vanguard account is more of a long-term savings. I may go half there and half towards mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

M5 Competition

No, you couldn’t afford payments and insurance on this.

And no, never own a boat or a plane, have friends with those things instead.

Grauz could find 70 month financing on something for sure.

In my case, the way BMW does leasing, it’s a stupid good deal for something high end since they eat so very much on the residual.

Yes!

I bet you wouldn’t be surprised to hear my dad owns a boat (not seaworthy yet, still working on it), a plane, and an RV. Those projects are on hold right now though. He’s working on installing new solar panels.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

zaurg posted:

Mortgage balance is 126k @ 4.25%

Wait when did you purchase the condo?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Last June-ish.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Wait when did you purchase the condo?

Summer 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zaurg posted:

I bet you wouldn’t be surprised to hear my dad owns a boat (not seaworthy yet, still working on it), a plane, and an RV. Those projects are on hold right now though. He’s working on installing new solar panels.

At some point this isn't believable anymore. But there's still a Florida Man excuse in there.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

guaranteed posted:

Eh, I'm not criticizing your choices at all, you're clearly able to afford your luxury item, and I bet it's a blast to drive, I just remembered zaurg thinking about leasing a while back, and I wanted to make sure he wasn't thinking about it now, because he can't really afford it. There are definitely times when leasing makes sense, but I don't think any of them apply to zaurg at the moment.

For Zaurg, vehicle leasing is a very bad idea. Turning house equity into a car purchase is also colossally moronic. Save and buy something cheap and trusty.

For me, it totally works in many ways. Maybe in three years there will be a bit better range and infrastructure for the battery electric vehicle, which would probably just be a cash purchase.

zaurg posted:

The tick doesn’t fall far from the dog.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol, “those projects are on hold”. I’ve known too many of those guys.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Florida Prepaid or Florida 529 plan:
https://www.myfloridaprepaid.com/resources/prepaid-vs-savings/

I feel like I need to do one of these. Even if just the minimum like the prepaid 1 year university or 529 throw a bit in every month. If I’m planning to help my kids with college anyway, isn’t it smarter to put some money into an investment like these where any earnings are tax-free? I’m making gains in Ally savings and Vanguard mutual funds which are each taxable accounts.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

gently caress me, I hope I don't get probed for effortposting at zaurg, but the hopefully this will at least be of benefit to his kids.

The advantage to a 529 plan vs Florida prepaid would be that your kids could use the funds not only for schools outside Florida but also for education-related expenses like dorms, textbooks, meal plans, student fees, etc.

Some states offer a credit on your state income taxes for contributions to a 529 plan, but Florida has no state income tax, so there's no tax benefit to you for 529 contributions. (But I'm pretty sure there's also no tax benefit to you for Florida Prepaid either.) The upside, though, is that since there's no tax benefit tying you to Florida's plan, you can actually use any state's 529 plan, not just Florida's.

I'm pretty sure from your previous posts that you already have a Vanguard account, if so I would heartily recommend looking into the Vanguard Nevada 529 plan. It's officially sponsored by the state of Nevada but anyone is eligible to join. For one thing, the fees for their plans are around 0.15% vs 0.75% for the Florida 529 - that means you'd be pissing away 5 times as much money each year in management fees with the Florida plan. They even have age-based options like the Target Retirement that you said you're invested in for yourself. (Another thing that's a benefit particularly for you is that it's a $3000 minimum contribution to open a Vanguard 529 plan vs Florida's $250, which would help lock away at least $6000 of that "surplus" you keep looking for ways to spend.)

All that said, if you think you're absolutely certain that you'll still be living in Florida when your kids reach college age and you're absolutely certain that they'll want to go to college in Florida, the Florida prepaid may still be a better option. But you definitely get a lot, lot more flexibility with a 529 plan.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Holy poo poo, nice. Thank you, KL.

Moneyball please no probes for KL.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You can't afford to pay for your kids' college, but putting your money in a 529 plan would at least keep you from frittering away some of the money

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Focus on saving your money for retirement (and then car replacement and mortgage payoff). You are so far behind on that it's laughable that you are even considering anything else.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

sheri posted:

Focus on saving your money for retirement (and then car replacement and mortgage payoff). You are so far behind on that it's laughable that you are even considering anything else.

Nonono, you just don't get it. Saving for retirement is boring. Investigating new interesting ways to save money ensures the money is not put away in some dumb boring place where it will benefit future-zaurg while retaining some semblance of progress. That way, zaurg can use the money for the much more important fun-category benefitting present-zaurg every time he runs over budget while chasing pennies in front of a bulldozer for a saving target he'll end up discarding 5000 Excels later in two weeks after his next manic period.

Hey zaurg, look into saving up for a helicopter. You don't need a helicopter. but it sure would be fun to have one and it cannot hurt investigating how much it would cost to get one.

What I am saying is, lease a helicopter now.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

klafbang posted:

Nonono, you just don't get it. Saving for retirement is boring. Investigating new interesting ways to save money ensures the money is not put away in some dumb boring place where it will benefit future-zaurg while retaining some semblance of progress. That way, zaurg can use the money for the much more important fun-category benefitting present-zaurg every time he runs over budget while chasing pennies in front of a bulldozer for a saving target he'll end up discarding 5000 Excels later in two weeks after his next manic period.

Hey zaurg, look into saving up for a helicopter. You don't need a helicopter. but it sure would be fun to have one and it cannot hurt investigating how much it would cost to get one.

What I am saying is, lease a helicopter now.

Why just one??
Two helicopters! One each for him and his gf!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

sheri posted:

Hey sheri,
Please warm up before attempting these mental gymnastics, but here is how I see it right now, please advise. Currently:

$2125 per month goes into retirement accounts (401k and IRA).
$100 per month goes into long-term savings Vanguard taxable mutual fund.
$100 per month goes into Ally savings account.
$100 per month goes towards mortgage principal on top of normal monthly payment, which reduces a 30 year mortgage to about 23 years and saves ~26k in interest.
$100 per month goes towards car replacement fund (sits in checking account).

Now, if I were to take some of the 12k sitting in my Savings account and open two 529 accounts, what's the harm in that? I would maintain the above savings plans. My kids would benefit from this. It would allow me to find another new interesting way to save money instead of leaving it in boring Ally 1.6% savings account and instead sit in an account earning what my mutual fund account is earning but tax-free.

I really don't want to buy a boat or horse or helicopter. This is the best alternative. Can you see my line of thought here?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

sheri posted:

Why just one??
Two helicopters! One each for him and his gf!

Then you can race!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
buy the horseboatcopter, zarug

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Xenocides posted:

Then you can race!

With leasing at prices this low, it is practically losing money not to!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

zaurg posted:

Hey sheri,
Please warm up before attempting these mental gymnastics, but here is how I see it right now, please advise. Currently:

$2125 per month goes into retirement accounts (401k and IRA).
$100 per month goes into long-term savings Vanguard taxable mutual fund.
$100 per month goes into Ally savings account.
$100 per month goes towards mortgage principal on top of normal monthly payment, which reduces a 30 year mortgage to about 23 years and saves ~26k in interest.
$100 per month goes towards car replacement fund (sits in checking account).

Now, if I were to take some of the 12k sitting in my Savings account and open two 529 accounts, what's the harm in that? I would maintain the above savings plans. My kids would benefit from this. It would allow me to find another new interesting way to save money instead of leaving it in boring Ally 1.6% savings account and instead sit in an account earning what my mutual fund account is earning but tax-free.

I really don't want to buy a boat or horse or helicopter. This is the best alternative. Can you see my line of thought here?

What benefit does a 529 give over leaving it where it is?
What are the cons in pulling it out of liquid savings and putting it in a 529?

Did you think about either of those two questions yet?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

klafbang posted:

Nonono, you just don't get it. Saving for retirement is boring.

It sure is. Seeing my net worth increase and my investment incoming is unironically boring as poo poo. It's the goals that it's all leading to that's the good bit (and will fund my jet/helicopter/second set of balls).

Zaurg But A Horse
Apr 14, 2019

Zaurg? Neigh!
Hi guys. I have a quick question. I've recently been reading about these things where I can either take my dollars from cart-pulling and put them away for my foals' dressage training, or I can pay in advance for the dressage courses in advance. If I pay in advance for them, I get them at today's' rates but whenever my foals want to go as long as they do go. I'm something of a blithering moron, so as long as the apple falls far from the tree (mmm apples) this seems like a good plan. If they are wonderfully far from the tree (are there ants on the tree? ants scare me) and my foals qualify for schools outside the swampland, then they get the credits back at cash value with no gains. There might be a penalty too, but it's probably less than I was going to spend on horseshoes and salt licks, so maybe I shouldn't care.

On the other hoof, I can put in post-tax money and let it grow at a slower rate than the cost of dressagucation, and still get a penalty if my foals share my intellectual prowess and thus drop the average IQ of glue. This penalty is still less than I spend on unnecessary garbage like combs, sugar cubes, and ex-fillies.

On the third hoof (the benefit of being a horse), I am so bad with money that maybe I should just pay down my debts with all these extra dollars I found in the haybuffet.

My fourth hoof is in my mouth, so let's not discuss that one.

What do you think? And should I pay for the fancy feather plumage in advance too? Or maybe wait on that until I know what my foals are interested in?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaurg But A Horse posted:

Hi guys. I have a quick question. I've recently been reading about these things where I can either take my dollars from cart-pulling and put them away for my foals' dressage training, or I can pay in advance for the dressage courses in advance. If I pay in advance for them, I get them at today's' rates but whenever my foals want to go as long as they do go. I'm something of a blithering moron, so as long as the apple falls far from the tree (mmm apples) this seems like a good plan. If they are wonderfully far from the tree (are there ants on the tree? ants scare me) and my foals qualify for schools outside the swampland, then they get the credits back at cash value with no gains. There might be a penalty too, but it's probably less than I was going to spend on horseshoes and salt licks, so maybe I shouldn't care.

On the other hoof, I can put in post-tax money and let it grow at a slower rate than the cost of dressagucation, and still get a penalty if my foals share my intellectual prowess and thus drop the average IQ of glue. This penalty is still less than I spend on unnecessary garbage like combs, sugar cubes, and ex-fillies.

On the third hoof (the benefit of being a horse), I am so bad with money that maybe I should just pay down my debts with all these extra dollars I found in the haybuffet.

What do you think? And should I pay for the fancy feather plumage in advance too? Or maybe wait on that until I know what my foals are interested in?

Put it all on Bit(andBridle)Coins, zaurghorse

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 5, 2020

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Budget so that your foals can have pizza at $3 per slice.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Better spend it on yourself. A foal and his money are soon parted.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
OAT FUTURES

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

Better spend it on yourself. A foal and his money are soon parted.
:golfclap:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
random note:

My condo’s pool is heated. Thank heavens, it was 57 F this morning brrrrrrrrr.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Known Lecher posted:

gently caress me, I hope I don't get probed for effortposting at zaurg, but the hopefully this will at least be of benefit to his kids.

The advantage to a 529 plan vs Florida prepaid would be that your kids could use the funds not only for schools outside Florida but also for education-related expenses like dorms, textbooks, meal plans, student fees, etc.

Some states offer a credit on your state income taxes for contributions to a 529 plan, but Florida has no state income tax, so there's no tax benefit to you for 529 contributions. (But I'm pretty sure there's also no tax benefit to you for Florida Prepaid either.) The upside, though, is that since there's no tax benefit tying you to Florida's plan, you can actually use any state's 529 plan, not just Florida's.

I'm pretty sure from your previous posts that you already have a Vanguard account, if so I would heartily recommend looking into the Vanguard Nevada 529 plan. It's officially sponsored by the state of Nevada but anyone is eligible to join. For one thing, the fees for their plans are around 0.15% vs 0.75% for the Florida 529 - that means you'd be pissing away 5 times as much money each year in management fees with the Florida plan. They even have age-based options like the Target Retirement that you said you're invested in for yourself. (Another thing that's a benefit particularly for you is that it's a $3000 minimum contribution to open a Vanguard 529 plan vs Florida's $250, which would help lock away at least $6000 of that "surplus" you keep looking for ways to spend.)

All that said, if you think you're absolutely certain that you'll still be living in Florida when your kids reach college age and you're absolutely certain that they'll want to go to college in Florida, the Florida prepaid may still be a better option. But you definitely get a lot, lot more flexibility with a 529 plan.

Yes, surely this time he will listen.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Yes, surely this time he will listen.

Surely this time goons will stop posting.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why is the college thing coming up again? You're too poor to pay for your kid's college. They can get loans for school but nobody will give you a loan to retire.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

n8r posted:

Why is the college thing coming up again? You're too poor to pay for your kid's college. They can get loans for school but nobody will give you a loan to retire.

Look @ this guy that hasn't heard of a reverse mortgage.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Zaurg But A Horse posted:

:allears:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

n8r posted:

Not an empty quote.

Why anything other than paying off debt or retirement/investments comes up I have no idea.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
You have no idea why I would consider putting money into an investment account for my kid’s future college expenses?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

zaurg posted:

You have no idea why I would consider putting money into an investment account for my kid’s future college expenses?

Consider shutting your pie hole, zaurg

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I love the parts when everyone is talking about a thing and zitshit tries to act like he understands but further proves how dumb he is.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

zaurg posted:

Time Value of Money.

What you are talking about is effectively long term options trading but for your kids education. Just pay for school when or if or where they go to school. Do easier and smarter things with your money between now and then. Start by budgeting for their education now. Estimate what you think you will need for each of them and when. Divide that by the number of months between now and then. Put that number in your monthly budget with the timeframe and amount for that purpose.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Time Value of Money.

What you are talking about is effectively long term options trading but for your kids education. Just pay for school when or if or where they go to school. Do easier and smarter things with your money between now and then. Start by budgeting for their education now. Estimate what you think you will need for each of them and when. Divide that by the number of months between now and then. Put that number in your monthly budget with the timeframe and amount for that purpose.

It looks like you're trying to explain budgeting to him, but I'm pretty sure he physically can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Time Value of Money.

Mango I’m sorry I don’t understand any of this. I read it like one contradiction after another. 529 doesn’t seem like some complex thing, or at least no more complex than it was to open a Vanguard IRA. Anyway, my kids will most likely be relying on loans/scholarships when they go to university. I agree with most here that I just don’t have room in my budget for college savings. I will just scrap this idea and keep focusing on savings for me, which in the long run helps my kids.