Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Sounds like people need to stop taking the internet so seriously :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kobal2 posted:

She didn't "align herself" with anyone - she had him do one voice on one video that had nothing whatsoever to do about his beliefs re:trans people or transmedicalism or whatever. She didn't invite him on her loving talk show to gravely opine as he expounds on the necessity and rationale of the ethnostate, FFS.
As for answering the critics, apologizing, and providing the context and nuance and self-awarness & whatnot of her various problematic statements : that's quite literally what half of her last video is about.

Kobal2 did pretty much that, yeah :). Also Kobal2 was drunk at the time, which doesn't tend to help his patience, or eloquence, any. But regardless, thanks for the advocacy and wording what I pretty much thought and felt more accurately that I really ever could.

Like, I was already not *quite* clear on the justification for such a towering campaign of hate against her and anyone near to her before the video ; to me even to the extent that what she did was regrettable the retribution definitely left all sense of proportion back in another pair of pants, in another country ; but anybody still banging that drum after she published her latest... like, what do you expect her to *do*, exactly, before you consent to stop talking poo poo about her ?
Lindsay Ellis did a pretty good TED talk about the effects relentless nazi trolling had on her life, but that's expected of them - they're, yanno, nazis. So, assholes. It's *so* much more discouraging and infuriating when it comes from supposedly intelligent/progressive people who are expected to come from a place of empathy, humanism, all that...

Same

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the rockets are already en route to the great dismal swamp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy poo poo lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Brute Squad posted:

the rockets are already en route to the great dismal swamp.

:lol:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Holy poo poo lol

The gift that keeps on giving

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

how did groverhaus escape into the wild of the internet anyway, is it just that legendary

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pretty much. When was it built? Probably one of the first viral things

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

how did groverhaus escape into the wild of the internet anyway, is it just that legendary

I feel like it's less because it's a garbage-rear end house design and more because it was so thoroughly braggingly documented by the creator.

There was an extremely awful bathroom refurb in DIY recently that was probably less safe, but it was quickly abandoned by the builder.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pretty much. When was it built? Probably one of the first viral things

2008. It was nowhere near one of the first viral things.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McNally posted:

2008. It was nowhere near one of the first viral things.

Groverhaus ate my balls.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

The first wave of FYAD posters grew up and refocused their powerful posting skills to Twitter

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

I feel like it's less because it's a garbage-rear end house design and more because it was so thoroughly braggingly documented by the creator.

There was an extremely awful bathroom refurb in DIY recently that was probably less safe, but it was quickly abandoned by the builder.

ahahaha no no he posted another thread not so long ago bragging when it was finished and it entered the mainstream as The DOOM Shitter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/new-doom-map-recreates-a-famously-terrible-bathroom-1833078521/amp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That bathroom is among the best forums trainwrecks I've seen.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The "walk across America" that turned into "walk 3 miles into a park and give up" is still my top forums disaster to witness.

E: also

https://twitter.com/TimJDillon/status/1213614286632652800?s=19

it's Epstein's pedo island

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I can't find it but the goon road trip thread which ended with the OP being arrested for AWOL or desertion or whatever was unexpected. He had "gozar the Traveller" spray painted on the car and that's why he got pulled over? I think?

Also, :gooncamp: exists just reminding everyone.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i don't like contra points because she takes two loving hours to say anything

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

There was also that debacle where a goon recruited a bunch of other goons to help build some kind of wilderness retreat in Hawaii. I remember a bunch of pig killing and borderline forced labor.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Uh, there was also a guy who posted a thread "can you believe cps took my kids away" and when he posted pictures of his trailer it was a fuckin nightmare and it also turned out he spent $2000 on a computer to play games while on food stamps.

Then he came back 8 months later and it turned out CPS helped him get therapy, meds, a new apartment and the guy basically turned his whole life around.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GIJoeyJoeJoe/status/1213935529688846336?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

An audible "ew" escaped my mouth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://twitter.com/benedict_rs/status/1213998662751309824

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slim Pickens posted:

The "walk across America" that turned into "walk 3 miles into a park and give up" is still my top forums disaster to witness.

That was an absolutely delightful thread.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

It would be correct if it instead said, defeated Saddam Hussein.

and nevermind all the other bits

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

holocaust bloopers posted:

That was an absolutely delightful thread.

Someone post the colossal super slam by that professional hiking guide who was like dude your poo poo sucks and you haven't even tested it WHAT THE gently caress WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A STOVE

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/Akil_N_Awan/status/1214156261924769792?s=20 :chloe:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Someone post the colossal super slam by that professional hiking guide who was like dude your poo poo sucks and you haven't even tested it WHAT THE gently caress WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A STOVE

Got u fam.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post444849645

quote:

Hi OP.

I don't imagine you will listen to this, but I'd like to give you a few pointers.

I hike for a living as a guide, I spend 250+ nights a year in the bush and I've been doing it for over 5 years now.

First off, I have to say I have absolutely no idea about the geography or climates of the areas you're going to be walking through, but I do have a lot of experience in hot, dry climates.

I'm going to approach this from my experience which is in remote areas with no support options, you say you are planning on stopping in towns which may mean some of what I say is redundant.

You say you are planning on carrying a 26l container with you and a camelbak. I you are walking a conservative 20km a day in 40 degrees celsius, I would expect that to last you around 3 days at a stretch. I climbed a mountain last year that was a 35km walk, and the temperature during the day hit 45. I went through 16 litres in about 18hrs, and didn't pee once. I probably needed to drink more. If you run out in that kind of heat, you will go into heat exhaustion extremely quickly, followed by heat stroke, and then death. Once you reach the point of heat stroke, you're in a very bad place and with no one to support you, you will not survive. At certain temperatures, not even water will save you, your body just can't cool itself effectively.

Lets look at your gear.

Most mountaineers and long distance hikers live and die by their gear, they test it, tweak it and get it completely right before bringing it into a situation where it actually matters. All of your stuff still has the tags on. Have you actually loaded up and camped out for even one or two nights with it?

Your pack is a Jansport. Jansport make gear for the "camp once or twice a year" market. Without seeing the harness setup I can't say for sure, but my gut says it is not a pack that's appropriate for what you plan on doing. You say it was the most comfortable one you tried on, but I don't get the feeling you really looked at that many. More important than how a pack is designed is how you adjust it and how it supports and transfers the weight of the contents on to your body. You would be much better off with a lightweight option from someone like Osprey or Black Diamond.

You have a Big Agnes tent, can you set it up in the dark? In the wind? In the rain? In all three at once? Do you have a repair kit? Have you seam sealed it?

You have a wide brimmed hat. Good. Ditch the umbrella.

Nothing gets me more frightened than an unopened first aid kit. Open it. Pull everything out, put it back in and make sure you know where everything is. Add things to it. I have never found a stock first aid kit that has everything I want to carry in it. Are you first aid qualified?

Your sleeping bag is too big and heavy for extended hiking. Lightweight small bags are expensive but given the distance you are walking, it would be prudent. Likewise your sleeping mat.

Do you have a liner for your bag? It will stop it smelling quite so bad after a few weeks.

You have insect repellant, get rid of the head net. Get rid of the camp towel, use a t-shirt.

You don't need bath wipes, whatever the gently caress they are.

You don't need camp soap, and having it just screams "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE gently caress I'M DOING"

Hot water cleans pots and pans although since you're not taking a stove (something so retarded I'm having trouble comprehending it) you won't need to clean them.

Your lantern is too big and heavy, get one of the small flat magnetic ones.

That poncho will keep you dry for about 5 minutes in anything other than light rain, and anytime you start to sweat it will gather on the inside as condensation and make you wet anyway. I'm not sure how much rain you're planning on coming across, but a lightweight goretex something will be far more versatile.

Your shoes are awful. Get something better. I can't even really break down how inappropriate they are. Walking on the road is going to put a lot of strain on your joints and you need to have excellent cushioning in your footwear, I recommend superfeet. They will also probably wear out in about a week.

As an example here is one of my old boots, next to a new one.

I'd put 7 months on the one on the left and these are the top of the line hike boot in this brands line up.

I deal with people who make wrong gear choices every day, but they're also paying me to make sure they don't die. Your entire setup just screams inexperience and lack of research and time spent outdoors.

I'm not saying what you're attempting to do is impossible, but out of the gate you are drastically reducing your chances for success by not being prepared. Yes, people like that chick in Wild manage to do amazing things with no preparation SOMETIMES, but I've also had to rescue and help idiots like yourself when they've jumped into places and situations that they aren't prepared for.

Morale is also something you're going to struggle with. Hiking is one of those things that sounds easy and fun in your mind but rapidly changes once you start out. Have you ever been so incapacitated by giardia that you poo poo in your tent because you couldn't physically move? Have you ever been so tired hiking that in between steps you actually fall asleep for a second? Have you ever sat in a tent with the wind and the rain howling outside, stuck by yourself miles away from the nearest human being, set up your stove to eat something warm and found that you hadn't screwed the lid on the fuel bottle properly and now you have no fuel for the next 5 days? Have you ever laid in the fetal position in a sleeping bag, tears in your eyes wishing you were anywhere but here? I've done all of those things and while I've come out the other side glad I gained the experience, they were never transcendent events that changed who I was or any bullshit like that. They were just lovely, awful situations.

Take some time, do a whole bunch of extended hikes in fun places, get yourself prepared mentally and physically, get your gear sorted out, and then attempt something like this. As it stands you're being loving stupid.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Imagine getting killed in a mass shooting and the last thing you see is that the shooter has that stupid rear end magwell. Insult to injury.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Let's not forget the AI saga of Dave, the meth-addled VW addict (not sure which is a worse addiction) who got a bunch of support from Goons to get his life back together, only to fall back into poo poo after trying to gently caress the wife of the guy that was helping him out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That whole klan is rotten as poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

Let's not forget the AI saga of Dave, the meth-addled VW addict (not sure which is a worse addiction) who got a bunch of support from Goons to get his life back together, only to fall back into poo poo after trying to gently caress the wife of the guy that was helping him out.

14 inch dick turbo?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

14 inch dick turbo?

The very same.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The zipline of death was pretty good while it lasted.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Wasn't there a similar slip and slide of death around the same time?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The Hawaii land guy was another good thread. Suckering people into living in an island jungle patch with wild hogs and poo poo everywhere. That thread was awesomely terrible.

Also p-p-powerbook was my first forum superthread. Such a great story, all the goons involved, loving classic.

Smiling Jack posted:

I can't find it but the goon road trip thread which ended with the OP being arrested for AWOL or desertion or whatever was unexpected. He had "gozar the Traveller" spray painted on the car and that's why he got pulled over? I think?

Goons' name was iSuck. Had a compass for an avatar. He bailed on the marines right before a deployment, hitchhiked down the California coast partying and loving around, got that car, painted all sorts of dumb poo poo on it and drove into Texas, because that must have seemed like a great idea at the time. Cops see his mess of a car, pull him over, find out he's AWOL and haul him into a cell until MPs took him away.

I remember a little more, but to be honest, I'd probably be mixing his story with another I've read around here about time in the brig.

I don't think I've seen that thread in a decade, so either my memory is loving impeccable or my mind is good at convincing me that it is.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah that's the guy.

Edit: urban legend before-there-was-a-forum Sgt. Zeno from the Pentagon who used to call the Mojave Phone booth from the Pentagon on the regular, before the Mojave Phone Booth was widely known.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nzzkgb/mojave

quote:

One Rick Karr, a “spiritual wanderer” from Texas, even told the Times reporter that he’d gotten orders from the Holy Spirit itself to trek into the desert and take calls. Karr was found after having spent over 30 days camped out at the booth. He claimed to have fielded at least 500 calls, many of which came from a repeat number – from “Sgt. Zeno from the Pentagon,” the wanderer claimed.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 6, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

You can find a lot of this stuff in the SA’s Greatest Sagas thread in PYF, especially in the earlier pages. There are occasional derails into :qq:CS territory and it looks like it got locked in the wake of the FYAD drama but there’s still a lot of funny stuff in here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

From the primary thread:

osker posted:

IN MEMORIAN

e: god dammit this looks like poo poo if you blow it up. sorry, can't afford photoshop!