Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you want a sense of the taste of malort turn a can of air upside down and spray it on a table for a minute. Then put your head into the fumes and inhale through your mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s not so bad.

I’ve had liquors that could have been improved by a little denatonium.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(while packing a bowl of flower for their vaporizer) alcohol is poison (sprinkles a thick layer of kief on top, which deffo isn't contaminated with metal grinder shavings)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Malort has a subtle smell of unflavored toothpaste when you open it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody trying to describe the smell and taste are kind of grasping at straws. The smell and taste are only describable as characteristic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

People describe Malort as "bitter", but that's like describing a blowtorch as "mildly warm." The one shot I had tasted like burning plastic. It's one of those things where you say to yourself that it can't be that bad and everyone's descriptions of "pencil shavings and heartbreak" or "swallowing a burning condom filled with gasoline" is an exaggeration, and you're one of those guys who does shots of Fernet with the bartender so you can handle something bitter! And then you realize that they were, in fact, absolutely correct about what it tastes like.

This is 100% correct.

Also, it doesn't just taste bad. It sticks to your mouth and throat and makes everything else taste bad for the next hour.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Congratulations! You made Alcoholic Vegemite.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Vegemite, but only when I'm actually in Australia.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Talking of Australia, while it burns Scotty from Marketing made an ad.

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1213330419044638722

It hasn't gone over well.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1213381979003064321

If rightwing shitheels like Piers Moron are calling you out on it, then you've royally hosed up son.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

quote:

malort chat

everything said of it is true. my personal notes are “burning tires w/a hint of grapefruit”

at some point this year Black Dog (gelato place) did it as a special flavor... I met some people at a party & we walked over on a whim, & they were HYPED about it, like they bought a pint & dug into it as soon as we got back to the party. never hung out w/those fuckin psychos again

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Okay, I wanna try Malort now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Okay, I wanna try Malort now.

It’s absolutely worth it in the sense of having another experience under your belt, but make no mistake: it’s always worse than you think it will be. Drinking Malort is like thinking you’re going to be that one guy who can handle being waterboarded.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
setting up a complex w/massive earthworks & stone obelisks inscribed in a dozen languages to warn future denizens of earth: no, really, malort IS that bad

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

THOT PATROL posted:

setting up a complex w/massive earthworks & stone obelisks inscribed in a dozen languages to warn future denizens of earth: no, really, malort IS that bad

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

THOT PATROL posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s absolutely worth it in the sense of having another experience under your belt, but make no mistake: it’s always worse than you think it will be. Drinking Malort is like thinking you’re going to be that one guy who can handle being waterboarded.

I didn’t realise we had marketing prodigies in here.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Amazing

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dewgy you're brilliant and i want to kiss you much

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It reminds me of that drink that got mentioned in Achewood that they described as "that isn't something you drink because you enjoy it. It's something you drink because you want to have something the police will fight you for." Whatever that was, I don't remember the drink just the phrase.

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017
[img]https://i.imgur.com/t1nif72.jpg%5B/img%5D][/img]

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It reminds me of that drink that got mentioned in Achewood that they described as "that isn't something you drink because you enjoy it. It's something you drink because you want to have something the police will fight you for." Whatever that was, I don't remember the drink just the phrase.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Has anyone had both R&R and this poo poo? I need side by side comparisons.

e: oh gently caress, I thought it was whiskey. NVM

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I like Malort. But also drink Carlo Rossi straight out the jug, so what I know. The Walgreens in my town sells Malort.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lord help me, I laughed at an Achewood. "Christ, smells like someone's working on a car!"

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I was just in Chicago for work and we went to a dive bar and everyone was going on about Malort and how crazy and disgusting it was so one of my colleagues bought everyone including me a shot (most of the locals got a “Chicago handshake” which is a shot of Malort and a lager) and I tried it for the first time. It’s not even fractionally as bad as people say; I assume that’s all regional tough guy poo poo. If you’ve ever had literally any amaro it’s just a normal example in that category, fairly bitter and herbal. I thought it was decent, though not nearly as good as the actual bitter/herbal things I love like Cynar or Braulio. I guess if you’ve only ever had Miller Lite and deep dish pizza the fact that it’s pretty strong flavor might blow you away, but it’s not any more bitter or uncomfortable to drink than an average IPA.

The “fight your dad” ad is pretty great, though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The problem with Malort is that the back end taste sticks with you for days.
Also a handshake is a shot of malort and an old style, specifically.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I don't know if it's been discussed, but I was talking to a friend about India, and I remembered this ad, which is just all kinds of :whitewater:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone is doing something right marketing gold jewellery in India.

More than a tenth of all the gold ever mined is owned by individuals in India.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ironically the gold-producing states were at one point (maybe still is?) under control of the communist party.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PubicMice posted:

I don't know if it's been discussed, but I was talking to a friend about India, and I remembered this ad, which is just all kinds of :whitewater:

That's fake, right? Surely.

Surely.

Platystemon posted:

Someone is doing something right marketing gold jewellery in India.

More than a tenth of all the gold ever mined is owned by individuals in India.

Yeah the biggest markets for gold right now are people buying presents for Indian housewives and Chinese newborns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC arranged marriages are mostly an upper class thing in India (and likely the rest of the world) so basically they know their market.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i mean, gold jewelry is a good store of value and also looks pretty, might be a useful resource jusy in case you need to leave your new husband in a hurry

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Jan 6, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've met a ton of 2nd generation Punjabi folks recently, I'm assuming that they're not from rich families since their parents moved to the US and seemed to have climbed up the economic ladder. Regardless they're all entering in to arranged marriages, and they seem to be quite happy with the arrangement, and they're all awesome PHD+ lefty people. I kinda just assume it's a cultural thing, but I also don't want to pry in to their personal lives and decisions.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC arranged marriages are mostly an upper class thing in India (and likely the rest of the world) so basically they know their market.

Naw theyre actually still the majority. Sort of. In cities people have found ways to modernize the concept so that while youre not being forced to marry someone chosen when youre too young to remember, your parents are still deeply involved in the process of finding a suitor when youre an adult.
It IS changing but familial bonds are so embedded in India's cultural heritage that it's been difficult to get rid of it entirely.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elviscat posted:

I've met a ton of 2nd generation Punjabi folks recently, I'm assuming that they're not from rich families since their parents moved to the US and seemed to have climbed up the economic ladder. Regardless they're all entering in to arranged marriages, and they seem to be quite happy with the arrangement, and they're all awesome PHD+ lefty people. I kinda just assume it's a cultural thing, but I also don't want to pry in to their personal lives and decisions.

I know an optometrist that recently had an arranged marriage. From what I understand it's really a matchmaking service between two families. Both people can still refuse to get married if they don't hit it off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i mean, gold jewelry is a good store of value and also looks pretty, might be a useful resource jusy in case you need to leave your new husband in a hurry

Go buy a hundred bucks of gold jewelry, then try and sell it the next day then tell us how good a store of value it is. I mean it's better than gems I'll give you that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw theyre actually still the majority. Sort of. In cities people have found ways to modernize the concept so that while youre not being forced to marry someone chosen when youre too young to remember, your parents are still deeply involved in the process of finding a suitor when youre an adult.
It IS changing but familial bonds are so embedded in India's cultural heritage that it's been difficult to get rid of it entirely.

Probably could use more first-hand accounts but after reading enough r/relationships there might be something to be said for cultural mores where both families are invested in making sure the relationship works.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably could use more first-hand accounts but after reading enough r/relationships there might be something to be said for cultural mores where both families are invested in making sure the relationship works.
After reading the estranged parents thread and also just kind of existing around people I'm going to say it's probably the blind leading the blind.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elviscat posted:

If their families were able to immigrate to the US, and they have Ph.D.'s, they probably are from pretty rich families.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

There's a weird psychological quirk that makes arranged marriages work more often than not. If you're stuck with something your brain can kind of just go "well I don't have a choice in this one, might as well make the best of it." So if you get two people arranged together that have that mentality it can make a strong relationship. The snag is that sometimes one of the people involved (or, well, both sometimes) is an abhorrent monster that you're stuck with your entire life. In other cases it turns out the people arranged together are just really, really not compatible. There's also the question of what you do with people who turn out to be gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I'm in Australia and haves friends from very large and wealthy Punjabi families my age that were born here. Their marriages were all 'arranged' but it was more like you date a shortlist of potential spouses your parents provide you and marry the one you hit it off with. There's some kind of network of wealthy Sikh parents spread across the Commonwealth countries that match their kids together from what I gather.