Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Transforms easily from bedroom to office

rotating bookcases arent very osha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

What about huge elderly cats?

Depends if they're handicapped.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bloop posted:

Discussion over, off to find a contractor.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Leal posted:

This is why I refuse to house relatives in the first place.

A Good Policy

When I last visited my in laws we got an AirBnb and it was the greatest decision of the trip

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

https://resourcefurniture.com/product-tag/queen-transforming-bed-systems-transforming-furniture/

This place has lots of queen murphy beds that can turn into desks or sofas when folded up.

They’re more like $2500+ but look like good quality.

Haha, yea maybe about 4x that price. We are getting ready to build a mother in-law cottage in our backyard and are planning on getting a Murphy bed/couch thing like they sell. Asked for quotes on 2, tango and Ito. They had a couple tangos in stock, cheapest being $14k up to almost $20k. No itos in stock, but they start at $10k apparently. Also, they don't use standard sizes mattresses, they are 2" narrower and 1" shorter than a standard queen mattress, so you have to buy one of theirs($1000-$2500) or find a custom one.

There is also Expand furniture that makes similar products at a more reasonable price, but still not cheap. Their showroom is very close to the resource showroom in Vancouver bc, so we are going to drive up and check them out in person.

The other option I found is Breda beds which is definitely the cheapest option. I am not sure I trust them, since they don't seem to have any showrooms, and all the pictures on their site seem to be renders and not pictures of the actual product.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 6, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just throw a queen sized bed in there and be done. My girlfriend works from home, so we set up a nice desk in our guest bedroom (roughly 11x15 room). She works, then naps with our dogs on the bed during breaks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Suspect Bucket posted:

Question. I'm daydreaming future house stuff, one of the absolute requirements is that it's at least a two bedroom, one bedroom to be used for my partner's office. He works from home 4-5 days a week, it will be amazing for him to have his own space with a door. It may also be a guest bedroom 3-4 times a year, with guests staying no more then 4 or so days. Would it be better to get a nice sofa bed, or a legit queen size bed?

I mean, yes, ideally it would be best for the office and guest bed to be separate, but we only have so much money to work with, and most of the homes I'm seeing in our price range are 2b/1br.

So lemme share a home office I happen to know about.

Let's use a picture that gives attribution.

It's a bit narrow, and aside from a foot path is basically eighteen inches deep in papers and books everywhere. There's an adjoining printer room (a glorified closet) as well. It's a bit of an extreme example, but that's how Captain Grins there is most comfortable writing. So the question is--are you making a home office your partner can work comfortably in however they want, or are you setting aside a portion of a room he can work in, as long as he doesn't let his stuff spread out too much so you can also have your guests over?

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 6, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

What about huge elderly cats?

I.e. “cougars”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mystic Mongol posted:

So lemme share a home office I happen to know about.

Let's use a picture that gives attribution.

It's a bit narrow, and aside from a foot path is basically eighteen inches deep in papers and books everywhere. There's an adjoining printer room (a glorified closet) as well. It's a bit of an extreme example, but that's how Captain Grins there is most comfortable writing. So the question is--are you making a home office your partner can work comfortably in however they want, or are you setting aside a portion of a room he can work in, as long as he doesn't let his stuff spread out too much so you can also have your guests over?

See, this is the other issue. People look at this problem like "oh it's an office and a guest room!", and they design this thing with some dumbass bed and nightstand or whatever taking up 85% of the space, and then shove a desk and a printer into the corner like "and here's the office part!"

So, you end up with a room which the majority of the space is for 'guest room' which you use 4/365 (1.1%) of the time, and the 'home office' part which you use the other 98.9% of the time gets whatever's left over. You're literally planning around something that you use 1% of at the cost of what you use 99% of the time.

This gets compounded by this weird idea that if you just have an air mattress or similar for the rare occasion that people stay over, you're a terrible host for daring to not have a fully-stocked extra bedroom 24/7. If your guests are that big of assholes to care about that, they probably should stay in a hotel.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Give the guests your bedroom, sleep on the air mattress for a few days, problem solved inexpensively.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

falz posted:

Give the guests your bedroom, sleep on the air mattress for a few days, problem solved inexpensively.

Yeah but then they'll be boning in your bed

lol jk people who give a poo poo about sleeping on an air mattress have sexless relationships anyway

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fortunately, the BF is almost entirely digital. He just needs space for his many work laptops. And again, he's been working quite happily out of a secretary hutch for the past year.

We'll work something out. But I'm kind of relieved there's so many options and opinions. I'm thinking the best option is going to be nice convertible sofa we don't mind sleeping in. Guests who aren't picky can sleep there, guests who are picky can take our bed, or get a hotel.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PRADA SLUT posted:

See, this is the other issue. People look at this problem like "oh it's an office and a guest room!", and they design this thing with some dumbass bed and nightstand or whatever taking up 85% of the space, and then shove a desk and a printer into the corner like "and here's the office part!"

So, you end up with a room which the majority of the space is for 'guest room' which you use 4/365 (1.1%) of the time, and the 'home office' part which you use the other 98.9% of the time gets whatever's left over. You're literally planning around something that you use 1% of at the cost of what you use 99% of the time.

This gets compounded by this weird idea that if you just have an air mattress or similar for the rare occasion that people stay over, you're a terrible host for daring to not have a fully-stocked extra bedroom 24/7. If your guests are that big of assholes to care about that, they probably should stay in a hotel.

1001% this. If the primary use of the room is to be an office then it’s idiotic to devote most of the space and the furniture budget to a use that will be occasional at best.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

yesssss

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Where does the BeatmasterJ stuff start so I can link a (goon) friend?

Thanks in advance!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Here's the renovation reveal.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post492921243

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Where does the BeatmasterJ stuff start so I can link a (goon) friend?

Thanks in advance!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&pagenumber=87&perpage=40#post470329224

Maybe its time for a new thread, since this would be a cool thing to put into the first post of this thread, except OP is now permabanned

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

*permabeamed

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I still love BeamdestroyerJ being all "Now that you've all forgotten here is the thing that you guys lost your poo poo over not too long ago".

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Still hanging out for the kitchen post from BMJ

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
it's finally here and is everything I dreamed it would be

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is that the award winning CES sex toy?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Isn’t that toilet brush a little small for you?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I see where the keys go but where are you going to put your wallet?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nice bathroom camera

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's some Aliexpress poo poo lmao.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's some Wish poo poo lmao.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

slurry_curry posted:

Haha, yea maybe about 4x that price. We are getting ready to build a mother in-law cottage in our backyard and are planning on getting a Murphy bed/couch thing like they sell. Asked for quotes on 2, tango and Ito. They had a couple tangos in stock, cheapest being $14k up to almost $20k. No itos in stock, but they start at $10k apparently. Also, they don't use standard sizes mattresses, they are 2" narrower and 1" shorter than a standard queen mattress, so you have to buy one of theirs($1000-$2500) or find a custom one.

There is also Expand furniture that makes similar products at a more reasonable price, but still not cheap. Their showroom is very close to the resource showroom in Vancouver bc, so we are going to drive up and check them out in person.

The other option I found is Breda beds which is definitely the cheapest option. I am not sure I trust them, since they don't seem to have any showrooms, and all the pictures on their site seem to be renders and not pictures of the actual product.

if you have some woodworking skill, for about $600 in parts and a weekend you can build your own

https://www.rockler.com/create-a-bed-with-rockler-adjustable-deluxe-murphy-bed-hardware-kit

I'm about to embark on this exact project for a new guest house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is a very dangerous site to any homeowner who owns a screwdriver and has a passing desire to DIY any improvements. I don't even want to know how many hundreds of dollars I have of their stuff in cabinets alone (and all of it has been totally worth it).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Nice bathroom camera

Looking it up online that seems to be a nightlight. Certainly gave me a double take as well though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of nightlights, are there any especially cool ones or should I just get the plain classic?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like the replacement outlets that have a nightlight built in, doesn’t take up a plug. The one I have, the light itself (which is flush) can be clicked a few times to set brightness, and also has an optional louvered screen to make it an up- or down-light.

I think it’s this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-White-15-Amp-Decorator-Tamper-Resistant-Night-Light-Residential-Outlet/50253195

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bad Munki posted:

I like the replacement outlets that have a nightlight built in, doesn’t take up a plug. The one I have, the light itself (which is flush) can be clicked a few times to set brightness, and also has an optional louvered screen to make it an up- or down-light.

I think it’s this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-White-15-Amp-Decorator-Tamper-Resistant-Night-Light-Residential-Outlet/50253195

Ooh that is nice, thanks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My only complaint with that specific one is that it’s a very cool light, like 5000K or something, not terribly cozy or soothing. I’d love to find that same product in like 2700K, that’d be ace.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I have these leviton gfci nightlight outlets in both my bathrooms and I am really happy with them. Just enough light output to be useful but not too bright. The gfci part is kinda redundant since I have gfci/afci breakers in my panel, but it doesn't hurt anything to have extra fail-safes.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Every time I click this link, in addition to beastmaster, I'm absolutely floored by the guy who's like "here's a crib I built for my daughter" then when someone gives him safety advice tells them to calm the gently caress down because it's for baby dolls even though he never mentioned that.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I recently bought a house with quite a few mid century design elements. It was subject to a remodel in 2011 that had some corners cut on fixtures. Anyone recommend a site for good quality fixtures with mid century design influences? Ideally we get bright ones as well because the house has only a few can lights and is built into a hillside.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m putting in some pendant lights over a small island, these ones in particular

The metal tube has three sizes so I can have them either 34 or 40 inches over the counter. 40 seems to go higher than almost any guide says to go but I’m tall and don’t want them blocking me much.

I haven’t had an island or pendant lights before, is there some reason I’m missing that make me regret having them that high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I hope that's a Murphy bed that folds up into the wall and matches the wall paper.