Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the pyf forum would instantly take to the 'lumpen list'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
gamer word post restriction

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
vtubber mafia chapter 2, in games

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I want to play drawfia

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Has anyone made the Irishman mafia yet

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The real reason Mafia died is I got a new job so overall postcount totals took a nosedive

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we resurrect Yobomakeanos 2?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Hey what's the current consensus on saying 'lynch'? It has been a while since i played, and I see people now saying lunch / cuddle... is this to avoid implications of the word, or what?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was told recently that we're moving away from the word. probably because of sour memories associated w the word (at least in american history). nobody will get mad at you for using it as a player, but its at the point where i'd even venture to say that a *mod* using the term is a little uncouth now

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Use “impeach” it’s 2020

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

kaschei posted:

Use “impeach” it’s 2020

lol good idea for mafia flavour if you really, really want your players riled up.

Q mafia

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Hey what's the current consensus on saying 'lynch'? It has been a while since i played, and I see people now saying lunch / cuddle... is this to avoid implications of the word, or what?

Yeah "lynch" is an unsavory word IMO. Use it or not as you like, but there's an active contingent of folks who won't. I like "execute" as an alternative personally.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Podima posted:

Yeah "lynch" is an unsavory word IMO. Use it or not as you like, but there's an active contingent of folks who won't. I like "execute" as an alternative personally.

I feel you. Gonna try to avoid it going forward.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I feel you. Gonna try to avoid it going forward.

“Lunch” has been easier for me to adopt, can quickly look back through posts for any errant y’s

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

“Lunch” has been easier for me to adopt, can quickly look back through posts for any errant y’s

i appreciate lunch because of the phrase "steak lunch" but also because the terms mylo and lylo still make sense

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

what a setup

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Steak posted:

i appreciate lunch because of the phrase "steak lunch" but also because the terms mylo and lylo still make sense

“Legally string up motivated by a gang mentality” works the same way

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
"Lynch" slips through every so often out of habit, and I don't particularly think the word's racial connotations are as...commonly known or viewed, I guess, as some seem to think

but I do avoid it more than not because it makes other people uncomfortable and I'd rather slightly shift a small part of my vocabulary than hurt someone for whom the word is jarring

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jonathan Fisk posted:

“Legally string up motivated by a gang mentality” works the same way

“Steak legally string up motivated by a gang mentality”?

I don’t get it

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

String, strang, strung

In grinch song voice

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

BTW i am gonna be pushing 'axe' instead; getting good traction in the Soldiers mafia game rn. 3 letters = better for phone posting. meaning is clear.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BTW i am gonna be pushing 'axe' instead; getting good traction in the Soldiers mafia game rn. 3 letters = better for phone posting. meaning is clear.

it just doesnt feel right to me. it should function as a verb and a noun, but "im really digging a 2penny axe" doesnt sound like an action, but rather a physical axe? "lunch" works cuz of similarity to the word that makes sense

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my compromise:

dunk

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

my compromise:

dunk

thank you

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

it just doesnt feel right to me. it should function as a verb and a noun, but "im really digging a 2penny axe" doesnt sound like an action, but rather a physical axe? "lunch" works cuz of similarity to the word that makes sense

Axe is totally a verb - but in that case i would say 'we all know a Steak axing is the right thing to do'.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Personally I like just using “kill” for everything, makes it easier.

Or as a mod I usually just use something flavoury

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
:yikes:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

"yeet"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I think when this convo first game up earnestly in here someone legit suggested this

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to yeet.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i like lunch because it makes me think ur taking them out for a nice lunch :)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

peramene posted:

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to yeet.

:yeah:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

flerp posted:

i like lunch because it makes me think ur taking them out for a nice lunch :)

taking them to a farm upstate... for a nice picnic

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
if theres a game in fyad and i join it, no one is allowed to be mad if i get probed in it

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
there are easier ways to get dick probed

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

if theres a game in fyad and i join it, no one is allowed to be mad if i get probed in it

there's a game right now, go post

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Dick Bastardly posted:

Lol

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

on-topic: I grew up in an area that has had lynchings happen as recently as 10-15 years ago so I try not to use the word

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe in ~March. I am gearing up to narrate a new audiobook (the sixth volume of the gay detective series I've narrated and ran a game about) which will keep me too busy until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

on-topic: I grew up in an area that has had lynchings happen as recently as 10-15 years ago so I try not to use the word

Is this a confession