Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Datamines from the fourth DLC wave imply four (five?) new playable characters and 4 new advanced classes, all of which can cast magic and one of which is a punch class open to female units, so that's probably going to be when I get the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Early on with my activity points should I prioritize my own proficiencies or building support?

I have gotten the sense that I should get everyone to level 5 asap so they can get a class. Now that I see that this game does the FFT thing of "class determines stat growth when you level" I am doing my best not to get analysis paralysis and completely stopping just to optimize stats

with regards to support, you'll get a lot of opportunities to build support during battles and by teaching. Battles are the most efficient way to build support if you keep your units clustered together. You can also easily rank up your support with students by instructing them during class time.

with regards to Byleth's skills, it depends what you're looking for. Byleth can do great without any lessons if you just want to keep her using swords, reason, and authority. You get a storyline class and you can stay in that. However, if you'd rather make Byleth a different class, like a dedicated mage, a wyvern lord, etc, then you'll want to look at the class requirements and see what marks you need to hit.

doing meals is good because it raises your professor level, and you want that to go up for basically everything, including activity points. I would say to prioritize at least one or two meals each day early on, just for the professor level (don't forget about gardening either!)

Meals and gifts are important for two reasons: recruiting other students, and getting your students' motivation up for classes. Don't waste meals on students that can't support each other or students that have full motivation. If you run out of activity points, you can give gifts to students to raise motivation.

After you recruit your desired students (most people recommend 2-5), you can do more training with Byleth. It seems overwhelming now, but by part 2 of the game you should have more activity points than you know what to do with.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fishing is a free action and earns professor points

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo you should always prioritize topping off your students' motivation before worrying about anything else. you can do this without wasting activity points by giving people gifts/returning stuff they lost, but you prob won't be able to get everyone maxed out that way every week. so eat with your students first if anyone's not at 100%, then do whatever

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've also noticed something I'm not sure whether is intentional: actual faculty characters can keep training Beleth in part two even if Beleth's rank surpasses the teacher. The restriction about only being able to do training in part two if the teacher has a higher rank than Beleth only seems to apply to former students.

I'm shooting for war master on Beleth for this Verdant Wind game and just poached Catherine simply so I can keep steadily raising brawling in part two (since Seteth does axes).

Also, funny how I don't think I ever really registered Gilbert being around in part one in my Azure Moon game.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 6, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

I've also noticed something I'm not sure whether is intentional: actual faculty characters can keep training Beleth in part two even if Beleth's rank surpasses the teacher. The restriction about only being able to do training in part two if the teacher has a higher rank than Beleth only seems to apply to former students.

I'm shooting for war master on Beleth for this Verdant Wind game and just poached Catherine simply so I can keep steadily raising brawling in part two (since Seteth does axes).

Also, funny how I don't think I ever really registered Gilbert being around in part one in my Azure Moon game.

I'm assuming intended so that byleth still has some ability to shoot for a+/s/s+ ranks given how long it takes to get those. If faculty adopted the same rules as students, by the time the students reached s/s+ to rank up byleth, byleth wouldn't be able to get to catch up before the game ended. And the only way for them to grow stat points for s+ rank would be combat grinding.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm assuming intended so that byleth still has some ability to shoot for a+/s/s+ ranks given how long it takes to get those. If faculty adopted the same rules as students, by the time the students reached s/s+ to rank up byleth, byleth wouldn't be able to get to catch up before the game ended. And the only way for them to grow stat points for s+ rank would be combat grinding.

Makes sense.

Ended up unimpressed by Brawler, even if the beefcake was amusing and made me realize just how lanky male Beleth is. Unarmed Combat as the mastery capstone doesn't seem useful, at all.

While I've qualified for Grappler, I'm working on Brigand instead for Death Blow.

Assassin Leonie is working out well. Besides my addiction to locktouch, I love that huge movement range for a foot unit and the versatility with bows and swords.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cythereal posted:

Gilbert just exists to make everyone else look that much cooler by comparison.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only thing Gilbert has going for him are a series of really good supports with his daughter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used Gilbert the entire second half of the game. I enjoyed having another professional around

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I like Gilbert. He's not exactly a barrel of laughs but most of his supports are good. I liked the one with Dedue because Dedue is so good-hearted in most of his supports, it's nice to see him hold somebody in contempt for once.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

nrook posted:

I like Gilbert. He's not exactly a barrel of laughs but most of his supports are good. I liked the one with Dedue because Dedue is so good-hearted in most of his supports, it's nice to see him hold somebody in contempt for once.

yeah those supports were loving dope. Dedue is scary when he's mad, even if it's off the battlefield.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Makes sense.

Ended up unimpressed by Brawler, even if the beefcake was amusing and made me realize just how lanky male Beleth is. Unarmed Combat as the mastery capstone doesn't seem useful, at all.

While I've qualified for Grappler, I'm working on Brigand instead for Death Blow.

Assassin Leonie is working out well. Besides my addiction to locktouch, I love that huge movement range for a foot unit and the versatility with bows and swords.

Yeah unarmed combat has to be the most useless mastery skill in the game.

War Master Byleth is crazy good though, once you start stacking crit on him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You dont use unarmed mastery because it's good. You use unarmed mastery so you can kill god with your bare hands.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FoolyCharged posted:

You dont use unarmed mastery because it's good. You use unarmed mastery so you can kill god with your bare hands.

Rip and tear

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Yeah, the entire reason to take Unarmed Mastery is to punch people to death for epic hilarity. I made Dedue a Punchbot and sent him to kill every mission boss with his bare fists. It's so good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

Ah, the Shin Megami Tensei initiative. :allears:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

someone redrew Edelgard's S-support to look less goofy:

https://i.redd.it/2v4wo67ri2941.png

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

someone redrew Edelgard's S-support to look less goofy:

https://i.redd.it/2v4wo67ri2941.png

they failed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they overcorrected and now she just looks like she has no reaction whatsoever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Augus posted:

they overcorrected and now she just looks like she has no reaction whatsoever

I have no strong feelings one way or the other

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also congrats to Fire Emblem Three Houses for becoming Games #5 GOTY.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gimme back goofy Edelgard. :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Datamines from the fourth DLC wave imply four (five?) new playable characters and 4 new advanced classes, all of which can cast magic and one of which is a punch class open to female units, so that's probably going to be when I get the season pass.
I cannot wait for the 4th wave of DLC, mostly because I want to play this game again but at the same time I want those new classes so that characters like lorenz won't automatically suck

also because I want Lysithea to become a Dark Flier to make her even more stupidly broken

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

DC Murderverse posted:

you have been visited by the Flayn Fish

You will have good luck in the coming year! Say "thank you, Flayn Fish!"

Thank you, Flayn Fish

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

I cannot wait for the 4th wave of DLC, mostly because I want to play this game again but at the same time I want those new classes so that characters like lorenz won't automatically suck

also because I want Lysithea to become a Dark Flier to make her even more stupidly broken

Lorenz is aight when trained Monk -> Mage -> Dark Bishop -> Dark Knight

Though tbh he’s a rockstar in my book just for hooking you up with the Thrysus in the first place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

Thank you, Flayn Fish!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DC Murderverse posted:

thank you, Flayn Fish!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

Fish thank, you Flayn!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RBA Starblade posted:

I have no strong feelings one way or the other

tell my wife I said....hello

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

it's 2020, are we allowed to emptyquote yet

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Into part two of Verdant Wind now, random thoughts:

Enjoying hard mode quite a bit, now that I've been through the game on normal to get a handle on how the game works.

Hilda and Marianne, and Leonie and Bernie, are all setting off my gaydar something fierce. If there was a DLC that added more lesbian s-ranks for Beleth (since I've concluded that I kind of hate most of the ones in the game), I'd probably buy it.

Lysithea really is as strong as goons hyped her to be.

Claude in part two is amazing with his unique class, but not having the extra range is taking some getting used to. He's already been making a solid niche for himself of eating pegasi.

Assassin Leonie is also doing super well. I know goons poo-poo locktouch, but like my assassin Beleth in Azure Moon, Leonie sprints across the map, is excellent with both sword and bow, and crits like a mofo.

War master's mastery seems like it will take a while. Do the knowledge and/or experience gems speed this up any?

Much as I dislike Lorenz, his a-support with Hilda gave me fuzzy feelings. He's quite a bit less slimy when he's in a relationship with a girl who has similar expectations and behavior.

Ferdinand in part two is a pretty, pretty man.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cythereal posted:

War master's mastery seems like it will take a while. Do the knowledge and/or experience gems speed this up any?

Knowledge gem stacks with the statue bonus to give +4 toward the mastery per fight

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/m3ll0wing/status/1214726353372749824

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hello, crazy times with the forums lately, so I thought it might be a good time to remind people that there is a SA Fire Emblem discord you can join to have chill, respectful chats with nice people about Fire Emblem, and also other video games and whatever other stuff you feel like talking about!

https://discord.gg/eG844nr

It started as a FEH discord but I assure you, there are many people in there who have never touched FEH, so if you hate FEH or are just indifferent to it, you are very, very welcome and there is a lot of non-FEH chat. Please feel free to join and introduce yourselves!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Ferdinand in part two is a pretty, pretty man.

Knowledge gems will speed up class mastery. Its still slow going though as you get 2 points per turn instead of 1. Experience gem will just give you more exp.

And yes Ferdinand is FABULOUS

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
The best thing for speeding up class mastery is the statues. But yeah, knowledge gem helps boost that along as well. I still always end up having to decide if I want to keep them in the class for a couple more levels to get the bonus or if I want to swap them out for the higher class as soon as I can.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
That's Ferdinand VON AEGIR.

Show proper respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Between my AM game, reading ahead about VW, and watching a LP of CF (since I just can't bring myself to play that route), I think I realized something about Dimitri that I don't think I've seen this thread discuss:

Dimitri's been manipulated by the Agarthans his entire life to be a weapon for killing Edelgard.

It came when I was pondering some of the seeming story disconnects in Azure Moon from the other routes. Why does Edelgard only go Flame Hegemon in that route? Why do the Agarthans never use nukes in Azure Moon? Why does Edelgard never point Dimitri at the Agarthans, who she seems to know were responsible for Duscur? Why did the Agarthans cause the Tragedy of Duscur in the first place? Why are Edelgard and Dimitri so disconnected from each other despite their shared childhoods?

The answer clicked into place once I started thinking about how the Lions in AM discover that it was the Agarthans who were responsible for Duscur. That, and all of AM's battles against people they don't know are the Agarthans, only happen after you snap Dimitri out of his PTSD-driven rage and depression. And the Agarthans keep bitching that Dimitri isn't killing Edelgard like he's supposed to.

I think the Agarthans' plan all along was to use Edelgard to take out Rhea, then use Dimitri to dispose of Edelgard once she'd outlived her usefulness. The insane Dimitri would then be easily enough to work around, or simply kill given the losses he'd likely sustain if he kept driving for Enbarr rather than changing course to liberate Fhirdiad and save the Alliance. I think the Agarthans caused the Tragedy of Duscur specifically to prime Dimitri for a blind rage that would turn him into an Edelgard-seeking missile.

As for why no nukes? Because I think that most of Azure Moon is actually going according to the Agarthans' plans. Edelgard's fulfilled her purpose and now Dimitri's fulfilling his, while Claude's been turned into a nonentity. If Dimitri never snapped out of his abyss, the end result would be Fodlan in complete anarchy with Edelgard and Claude dead, and Dimitri also dead or completely insane.

The wheels only come off the Agarthans' plan when Beleth and Rodrigue save Dimitri - and promptly encounters Agarthans who are very surprised and angry that Dimitri's jumped the rails. A combination of Beleth's steadying influence, Rodrigue's sacrifice, and Dimitri's friends sticking by him even in the worst moments, all contribute to Dimitri breaking free of a life that's been controlled by people he never had any idea existed.

And in turn I think that's why the Flame Hegemon only occurs in Azure Moon. The Agarthans have just been completely gutted at the twilight hour and are scrambling for something, anything. They can't use nukes, because at this point the only place they could have a strong effect would blow themselves up as well in the process. Plus they might well have lost everyone who even knew how to launch the nukes in the first place. The conclusion to Azure Moon isn't about Edelgard cutting through the life she's been trapped in, but Dimitri cutting himself free and coming into his own.

It tracks with most of the AM character epilogues, too, there's a strong emphasis on people finding their own path while navigating the responsibilities and ties of family they all have. Almost every single Blue Lion has a conflict of free will versus being controlled by someone else featuring prominently in their story.

Oath of the Dagger indeed.