Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

you’re right they should just speak plainly and burn all of their sources at the outset

“....and for our last update: Mike Smith, senior developer and six year veteran at Ubisoft Montreal told me over coffee last week that you can expect another Mario/Rabbids expansion to drop sometime between June and September. Apparently Mike’s team is wrapping up the fine-tuning on Waluigi’s movement but they’ve had some minor setbacks....”

They could always not post like jackasses while also not revealing their sources

Anyway metroid rules and ridley is my uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If people don't know who the leakers are how else will they be able to start patreons and YouTube channels?

They're not looking to monetize, they're simply victims of capitalism who are getting their deserved reparations

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Louisgod posted:

Bummer, exactly why I asked, thanks. What about wired?

Do you have any OG gc controllers? If so you can use the official Wii U/Switch GameCube-to-USB adapter dongle to connect up to 4 gc controllers to your Switch.

Also Nintendo released special edition OG GameCube controllers (not USB ones, actual new GameCube controllers) with Smash Ultimate last year and I was too depressed and busy and broke and didn’t have a switch yet and so I didn’t buy any.

I have one GameCube controller that is pristine and has never been used (came in a bundle when my parents bought a Wii back in ‘07) and probs never will be.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Louisgod posted:

Bummer, exactly why I asked, thanks. What about wired?

Any wired GameCube controller works, as long as you obviously have a Wii with the ports and the GC adaptor for Switch.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have one GameCube controller that is pristine and has never been used (came in a bundle when my parents bought a Wii back in ‘07) and probs never will be.

You should sell that if you won’t use it. Smash players pay decent money for official new GC controllers.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 6, 2020

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you have any OG gc controllers? If so you can use the official Wii U/Switch GameCube-to-USB adapter dongle to connect up to 4 gc controllers to your Switch.

Also Nintendo released special edition OG GameCube controllers (not USB ones, actual new GameCube controllers) with Smash Ultimate last year and I was too depressed and busy and broke and didn’t have a switch yet and so I didn’t buy any.

Nope, only two Wavebirds that don’t work, but I’m more so hoping to buy one of the “new” Gamecube controllers to use with the Wii, not the Switch. Sounds like they’re only compatible with the Switch, oh well.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any wired GameCube controller works, as long as you obviously have a Wii with the ports and the GC adaptor for Switch.

Okay rad, I’ll run to the store later to see what they have, thanks!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's also an adapter that wirelessly connects original Gamecube controllers to the Switch, if that works better for your setup

https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should sell that if you won’t use it. Smash players pay decent money for official new GC controllers.

No it’s for when I have my own home and I can finally set up a little retro gaming station with a GameCube and GBA Player and also my pony will live in the house with me and everybody will be my friend and nobody will ever leave or say that I’m a bad person and

Louisgod posted:

Nope, only two Wavebirds that don’t work, but I’m more so hoping to buy one of the “new” Gamecube controllers to use with the Wii, not the Switch. Sounds like they’re only compatible with the Switch, oh well.

Okay rad, I’ll run to the store later to see what they have, thanks!

Unless you go to a used game store the only GC controllers you’ll find will be USB. They’ll work fine with Switch but not Wii.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only player base that pitches a fit when they can't use a controller from a previous generation

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only player base that pitches a fit when they can't use a controller from a previous generation
Other companies do iterative improvements on what they have. They don't start with a great controller, and then go "okay, next time we'll have you point a candy bar at the screen, and after that you can use a giant touchscreen with some buttons, and the time after that you can have two flimsy pieces of plastic that drop connection if you put your foot or a glass of water in the line-of-sight to the console".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Other companies do iterative improvements on what they have. They don't start with a great controller, and then go "okay, next time we'll have you point a candy bar at the screen, and after that you can use a giant touchscreen with some buttons, and the time after that you can have two flimsy pieces of plastic that drop connection if you put your foot or a glass of water in the line-of-sight to the console".

The WiiU tablet and physical controller were fine
Joycons and the pro are fine (except for my joycons not working well detached from the switch)

The GameCube is almost 20, let it go

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

I’m one. It just feels great to use in Smash. The pro is good too though.

It’s cool to just have to buy an adaptor and I instantly have a bunch of extra controllers I could use.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 6, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inferior Third Season posted:

All three of those consoles had pro controllers though that were functionally equal or better than the GC. Except the Wii pro controller which was a practical joke played by Iwata, god rest his soul.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Len posted:

That's mostly the fact that Playstation and Xbox have had basically the same controller for forever by now.

I remember a lot of people threw a fit about Sony's weird plan to replace the dualshock, but that's about the closest anyone's gotten. I imagine PC gamers who are still into flightsticks would probably get angry if their hardware just stopped getting supported.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd still like to try the cool looking PS3 Boomerang controller.

Look at this goofy thing. Goddamn cowards

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really miss the Wavebird controller, many fond memories of chucking PIkmin with that thing.

Hopefully we'll get Wind Waker for Switch at some point, never played the enhanced version but I did a whole lot of sailing in the original version. Heck, the version I bought came with Ocarina of Time as well. (Though the OoT control scheme takes some getting used to, as I recall.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hatty posted:

Somebody else make it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hatty posted:

It’s amazing how much they had the PS3 design complete but not the controller

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What were you supposed to do with that? Stick it up your butt?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Looks more comfortable than the pre 4 dual shocks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hatty posted:

I think I used this to kill someone in manhunt

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

hatty posted:

I absolutely disliked the triggers on the released Dualshock 3

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

What were you supposed to do with that? Stick it up your butt?

Why would it be different than anything else?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, it didn't have rumble

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

hatty posted:

I unironically want to try out that controller. It seems comfortable and light.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hey guys.

Are there any decent dungeon crawling RPGs on the Switch in the style of things like Etrian Odyssey? I'm thinking of grabbing Labyrinth of Refrain (since I never completed it on the PS4) but I'd like to see if there's any other worthwhile options on the system first.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vandar posted:

Hey guys.

Are there any decent dungeon crawling RPGs on the Switch in the style of things like Etrian Odyssey? I'm thinking of grabbing Labyrinth of Refrain (since I never completed it on the PS4) but I'd like to see if there's any other worthwhile options on the system first.

Theres Mary Skelter 2 too but LoR is your best bet to scratch that itch

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Very much enjoying the SNK 40th collection

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Been playing Dragon Quest XI (in German, since i was too lazy to fiddle with CFW files to change the locale), and i gotta say, it's just delightfully... i dunno, localized. You rarely get a localization that goes so whole hog on everything. Well, at least if you're not English or American.

Except for maybe Serena, all the characters have names that i'd probably find around my neighborhood. Your buddies Erik and Veronika, the village chief is good ol' Thorsten, your mom is called Petra (whic was one of the most common baby names in Germany/DDR in the 1960s so it's dead on), your girlfriend is Sandra from next door, Erik's thieving buddy is Dietrich (which is also what a skeleton key is called in German), and so on.

The localization also seems to employ a certain kind of... cross-language humour?, that's exactly my kind of poo poo. By which i mean just the types of jokes i'd make myself. Early on you meet a lumberjack called "Häggit", which is phonetically very close to the English "hack it", which, you know... a lumberjack. Well, maybe you don't, but it'll make more sense when i tell you that chopping wood is more like "hacking wood" in German. Makes more sense than being named after a mineral, anyways.
Or the hot springs town, which is called "Onzen". When i saw it on the map for the first time, i was a bit puzzled as to what the connection was. I'm in a rocky mountain area, maybe it's something to do with... ounces?? But then i entered the town and saw an extremely japanese-as-can-be hot springs spot and everything was crystal clear.

I was sorta worried that i'd miss out on some of those fantastic English puns the series in known for (an i probably am), but so far, i think this localization makes up for it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Im enjoying it, I just wish it had an ounce of challenge

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Junkie Disease posted:

Im enjoying it, I just wish it had an ounce of challenge
If only there were literally dozens of options available to help you customize the difficulty to your liking. :negative:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Don't you have to restart the game to enable or disable those? That would make them basically useless on a first play through

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

American McGay posted:

If only there were literally dozens of options available to help you customize the difficulty to your liking. :negative:

Randomly not doing actions and its other "higher difficulty" crap is poop

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's poop is when i get a first-strike on the enemy on the overworld and then enter battle and apparently the enemy has "ambushed me" and gets to move first???

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Right? That just happened to me five minutes ago.

The worst part about it is that it specifically says the enemy gets the first attack "before the party gets a chance to act." Bitch, I acted my rear end into this goddamn fight!

Earthbound already got this perfect thirty years ago, what the gently caress

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Randomly not doing actions and its other "higher difficulty" crap is poop

Why

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Losing due to the banality of RNG just saying "what you chose is not going to happen" is not fun unless you're a masochist

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

Right? That just happened to me five minutes ago.

The worst part about it is that it specifically says the enemy gets the first attack "before the party gets a chance to act." Bitch, I acted my rear end into this goddamn fight!

Earthbound already got this perfect thirty years ago, what the gently caress

I'm currently playing earthbound, but I'm not that far. Are you telling me there is a way to get green fights without the enemy actively fleeing?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Enshoku posted:

I'm currently playing earthbound, but I'm not that far. Are you telling me there is a way to get green fights without the enemy actively fleeing?

Yes, but it’s pretty difficult when they’re not fleeing. You just have to engage them from behind.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
currently 36 hours in to Octopath and my observations are:

1. as others have mentioned, the music is delightful

2. the battle system is fun and puzzle-ish

3. I enjoy the individual stories

4. I wish it were easier to level people up to catch up to their stories. my main party is H'aanit, Ophilia, Cyrus, and Tressa but every time I have to grind Therion up so I can steal things with any kind of chance for his story (the worst so far was Olberic and the field) has been excruciating. something I really miss from Pokemon was having everyone gain experience, or World of Final Fantasy where it was real easy to boomerang a new mirage up to your current levels.

5. fast travel to towns is amazing and I wish you could do it to other areas also

6. some people complained about the encounter rate, but I thought it was fine, especially with the skill to lower them. I could go through a whole area and get like two.

overall, I think it's real good and I look forward to finishing it someday in 2021 because holy gently caress this game is long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

morallyobjected posted:

6. some people complained about the encounter rate, but I thought it was fine, especially with the skill to lower them. I could go through a whole area and get like two.

imo part of the problem is that you need the skill to lower them equipped. the encounter rate feels normal... if you have that on. but this is a game that will drop bosses on you without warning, and skill space is very limited premium, so making the player dedicate a slot to Making The Encounter Rate Not Terrible when it cripples you in any fight that isn't trash mobs is a huge loving mistake.