Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Any rumours as to when we'll start seeing new sets of panels?

CES starts in a few days, anything launching in the near-ish future will probably be shown there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So, I'm having the discussion over in the PC building thread a bit, but I figured I'd ask here too.

In short, I'm looking for a new upgrade from my VG248. I initially wanted 144hz 4K IPS but quickly realized that's not an affordable thing yet. Sacrificing 144hz since I don't game primarily seems to be the wisest thing to drop out of the three options, so, looking at options therein, I found this: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27UK850...ics&sr=1-3&th=1

Would anyone advise against this or is there something that offers the same at a cheaper cost?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my Predator XB27HU or whatever quite a bit, but I would like to go ultra wide, and $800CAD seems like a pretty fabulous price for the the PG348Q. I’d rather have 144Hz, but I can live with 100Hz I think. Any reason I might not want to jump on this? Is it deeply discounted because there’s a successor coming in the next month? Is it made of human teeth?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...pg348q/10414771

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The successor has already been out for a while, the PG349Q increased the refresh rate to 120hz and made the curve much deeper. So yeah they might just be clearing out the last stock of the older version.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

The successor has already been out for a while, the PG349Q increased the refresh rate to 120hz and made the curve much deeper. So yeah they might just be clearing out the last stock of the older version.

Hmm, that does sound nicer, but I don’t know if it sounds $350 nicer...and at that point I think the AW3418DW might be better.

So much for that easy decision!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Any suggestions for mitigating burn-in on an OLED TV when using it as a monitor? So far, using an aggressive screensaver/screen off setting, , and hiding the Windows 10 toolbar seem to be the things I have found.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

space marine todd posted:

Any suggestions for mitigating burn-in on an OLED TV when using it as a monitor? So far, using an aggressive screensaver/screen off setting, , and hiding the Windows 10 toolbar seem to be the things I have found.

Use the lowest brightness you can tolerate, remove all icons from the desktop, use an all black background and a darker windows theme (that includes a darker / neutral text color). You already got the other stuff down, but also take care to remember that some apps will pause the screensaver timer in use, like games or media players, so don't assume the screensaver will save you every time.

I would probably try to avoid using a browser or standard windows stuff as much as possible to avoid burning in toolbars and tab titles into the screen. This would still take thousands of hours, but it's all cumulative, so the closer you can manage to stick to using it like a secondary screen that you send content to, the longer you'll be able to avoid burn in. Of course, on the TV itself, leave all of the burn in protection stuff on, I personally have the logo luminance adjustment set to high to help protect against unavoidable instances of window title bars being on the screen. Also keep in mind that use as a PC monitor is typically not recommended.

I do it anyway for my living room media PC, but it still gets varied contents (we use game consoles and dedicated media players more often than the PC), I accept the risk and acknowledge that I'll likely need to replace the TV sooner rather than later. "Sooner" in this case I expect to be some time in 4-5 years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/tftcentral/status/1213952003061243904?s=21

who even asked for this? at that kind of money just go OLED already

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you get a 32” OLED? A friend of mine is slowly moving towards the acceptance of an LG48CX OLED TV when they’re released. I expect it to be a third of the price of that super-Predator!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheFluff posted:

https://twitter.com/tftcentral/status/1213952003061243904?s=21

who even asked for this? at that kind of money just go OLED already

Probably another VA panel too to try to block out the stupid HDR backlights.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

240hz is steaming baby trash that makes me so mad. im fuckin fuming. wont someone address me needs. oh thank god!!!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, I'm having the discussion over in the PC building thread a bit, but I figured I'd ask here too.

In short, I'm looking for a new upgrade from my VG248. I initially wanted 144hz 4K IPS but quickly realized that's not an affordable thing yet. Sacrificing 144hz since I don't game primarily seems to be the wisest thing to drop out of the three options, so, looking at options therein, I found this: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27UK850...ics&sr=1-3&th=1

Would anyone advise against this or is there something that offers the same at a cheaper cost?

Same page, but anyone have any guidance on a good 4K IPS monitor?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That isn't a bad monitor as long as you realize that the Freesync/VRR on any 60hz monitor is basically completely worthless. It's a relatively higher end monitor, I personally don't see a reason to buy it unless you're making money doing photoshop or video work on it. 4K 60hz monitors are getting to be about as dime a dozen as 1080p monitors, you can search 4k IPS on Amazon and find a boatload of them.

If you want a 4k monitor for gaming, you're still in a holding pattern. Maybe late this year we'll see the first good ones, but they will probably be overpriced for a solid year or two before they really become mainstream. That's why I really favor just buying something cheap that you can transition to a secondary monitor when actually good 4k gaming monitors become a thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

K8.0 posted:

That isn't a bad monitor as long as you realize that the Freesync/VRR on any 60hz monitor is basically completely worthless. It's a relatively higher end monitor, I personally don't see a reason to buy it unless you're making money doing photoshop or video work on it. 4K 60hz monitors are getting to be about as dime a dozen as 1080p monitors, you can search 4k IPS on Amazon and find a boatload of them.

If you want a 4k monitor for gaming, you're still in a holding pattern. Maybe late this year we'll see the first good ones, but they will probably be overpriced for a solid year or two before they really become mainstream. That's why I really favor just buying something cheap that you can transition to a secondary monitor when actually good 4k gaming monitors become a thing.

Well, my thought process is that I may not be buying a new monitor for another 2 years anyway, so for now, why not get something decent to good. I currently work off of a MG248Q, which isn't bad, but I kinda wanna start seeing 4K. I guess, at this point, I'm looking for what the best I can get for <$500 would be even if it means I have to sacrifice something. Like if I can go 2K, 144hz, IPS and be in a decent range etc.

e: I've decided to sacrifice 4K in favor of 2K, so still an upgrade. Prices seem a lot more manageable. Now, to find the "really good" 2K, 144+hz, IPS options.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 6, 2020

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Cygni posted:

240hz is steaming baby trash that makes me so mad. im fuckin fuming. wont someone address me needs. oh thank god!!!

quit loving around with sub 100ppi monitors and give me 27" 144hz for a reasonable price already!!!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

e: I've decided to sacrifice 4K in favor of 2K, so still an upgrade. Prices seem a lot more manageable. Now, to find the "really good" 2K, 144+hz, IPS options.

Nixeus EDG-27s v2. $340 right now. The stand is poo poo and the OSD isn't great, but the panel performs well and the Freesync implementation is great. You can spend more money and get something generally better, but the value isn't there.

Sphyre posted:

quit loving around with sub 100ppi monitors and give me 27" 144hz for a reasonable price already!!!

Is it too much to ask for both? I want 4k 360hz. We all know we're only playing old games that will run at 4k/350 FPS anyway.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Nixeus EDG-27s v2. $340 right now. The stand is poo poo and the OSD isn't great, but the panel performs well and the Freesync implementation is great. You can spend more money and get something generally better, but the value isn't there.

What would those options be? :thunk:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
50fps videos on YouTube will still look weird on a 360hz display 😅

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

What would those options be? :thunk:

What will you primarily be using the monitor for, if you're mostly not gaming? That should help with recommendations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Use the lowest brightness you can tolerate, remove all icons from the desktop, use an all black background and a darker windows theme (that includes a darker / neutral text color). You already got the other stuff down, but also take care to remember that some apps will pause the screensaver timer in use, like games or media players, so don't assume the screensaver will save you every time.

I would probably try to avoid using a browser or standard windows stuff as much as possible to avoid burning in toolbars and tab titles into the screen. This would still take thousands of hours, but it's all cumulative, so the closer you can manage to stick to using it like a secondary screen that you send content to, the longer you'll be able to avoid burn in. Of course, on the TV itself, leave all of the burn in protection stuff on, I personally have the logo luminance adjustment set to high to help protect against unavoidable instances of window title bars being on the screen. Also keep in mind that use as a PC monitor is typically not recommended.

I do it anyway for my living room media PC, but it still gets varied contents (we use game consoles and dedicated media players more often than the PC), I accept the risk and acknowledge that I'll likely need to replace the TV sooner rather than later. "Sooner" in this case I expect to be some time in 4-5 years.

Thanks! By brightness, do you mean "Brightness" or "OLED Light"? Assuming you have an LG set with similar terminology.

I plan on using this for a while and then switching it to whatever comes out that actually matches my needs (42" 4k/144Hz with HDR would be ideal).

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Stickman posted:

What will you primarily be using the monitor for, if you're mostly not gaming? That should help with recommendations.

Video and movie editing, design work, other basic computer things. The only real gaming I do on this is Remote Play from my PS4, but I haven't played a game on this thing in years, maybe.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Cygni posted:

Is there a CPU even capable of pushing out 300fps+ in esports titles?

eames
May 9, 2009

Sphyre posted:

Amazon in Europe is currently selling the 27GL850B for less than the „cheaper“ 27GL83A so maybe the rumors of panel oversupply in 2020 turn out to be true. I’m tempted to order one just to get rid of the NVidia vendor lock-in that is (old) G-Sync.

That 360Hz announcement is unexpected but in the end it’s about reducing input latency and that’s never a bad thing, even though the average consumer like me may not immediately notice a difference to 144Hz.

Anandtech posted:

As well, they measured a 14.5ms reduction in total (end-to-end) latency, going from 34.5ms at 240Hz to 20ms at 360Hz.

Note that these figures are from NVidia marketing material so :salt:.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 6, 2020

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

eames posted:

That 360Hz announcement is unexpected but in the end it’s about reducing input latency

To what? LCD is already within 1/1000 of CRT.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

KingEup posted:

Is there a CPU even capable of pushing out 300fps+ in esports titles?

Should be pretty doable in CS:GO and Rocket League.

That's a wild announcement though. It's like they're just throwing random poo poo at the wall so they don't lose their R&D budget.

eames
May 9, 2009

KingEup posted:

To what? LCD is already within 1/1000 of CRT.

Call it render latency then.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

eames posted:

Amazon in Europe is currently selling the 27GL850B for less than the „cheaper“ 27GL83A so maybe the rumors of panel oversupply in 2020 turn out to be true. I’m tempted to order one just to get rid of the NVidia vendor lock-in that is (old) G-Sync.

oops, i meant to post 27" 4K 144hz :v: i've already got a 1440p VRR monitor

i've been using high DPI displays on my phone since 2010 (iphone 4) and on the laptop since 2013 (retina MBP), however in PC world it's 2020 and people are still saying things like "I don't see why you'd want 4K in 27" size, it's too small". it's madness!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Constellation I posted:

That's a wild announcement though. It's like they're just throwing random poo poo at the wall so they don't lose their R&D budget.

What we really need is a 1000Hz hidpi monitor so we can start to emulate the exact look of CRTs properly.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

And in 4K high refresh rate monitor chat:

Asus announces the PG32UQX (FALD): https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/the-rog-swift-pg32uqx-delivers-the-best-4k-hdr-gaming-experience-yet/

and LG with the 27GN950-B, which looks like the 4k version of the 27GL850B: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Have they said how much that LG will be?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Nixeus also getting in on 27" 4K 144Hz: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/nixeus-nx-edg274k-announced-with-27-4k-ips-type-panel-and-144hz-refresh-rate-using-dsc/

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So uh, based off my recent questioning etc, should I just wait for these or will they likely sit around 1K in price? I was ironically just looking at the 27GL850B.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Who knows. The Acer XV273K was $1000 at launch but has dropped significantly. Would not expect these to be much below $800 at launch but again, who knows.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

These are the first monitors to actually support DisplayPort compression right? It'll be interesting to see what the artifacts are like.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Goddamn I went to three different computer stores yesterday and literally all of them were sold out of regular DisplayPort cables longer than 3 ft, let alone ones that are 1.4 spec.

I guess I might just chance one of the ones on Amazon but given all the ones there have at least a couple reviews saying "Got a bad cable can't actually handle 1440p 144Hz" I'm worried it's going to take a while to actually be able to use adaptive sync :saddowns:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If you're seriously that worried order multiple cables from Amazon and then take the surplus to literally one store to return instead of wasting time and carbon emissions running around like it's your first day "doing commerce"

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! By brightness, do you mean "Brightness" or "OLED Light"? Assuming you have an LG set with similar terminology.

I plan on using this for a while and then switching it to whatever comes out that actually matches my needs (42" 4k/144Hz with HDR would be ideal).

In this case it would be OLED light, the setting that adjusts display luminance

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
LG finally has a 4k HFR display. Since their panels are the best around, hopefully we don't see the garbage quality of AUO anymore

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Some of LGs panels are very good, some are not. It's more that AUO has historically been known for poor QA - but they've also consistently been the company pushing the bleeding edge. I wouldn't place a particularly high level of faith in any of these panels sight unseen. Let other people buy in, wait and find out what panels are consistently good.

Plus DSC probably still looks like rear end anyway. Personally I'm not considering 4k until HDMI 2.1/DP2.0 is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s up with all the 27” Inch 4K announcements? Is anyone surprised that they’re choosing 27” for the next defacto standard? I would have thought 30” or 32” would have been ideal.