Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Davros1 posted:

That was one hell of a dark time when the country made Kid Rock a thing.

That said, I'm old enough to remember this before movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOO3OvwfS4U

Remember when General Cinema had that animated into where a bag of popcorn is on a date with a cup of pepsi and then he goes into the lobby and buys a pepsi? I'm still disturbed and upset about that. The whole theater is filled with anthropomorphic snacks but they go buy those snacks from the lobby. What the gently caress was going on? Why did they show this to children?

Egbert Souse posted:

You know at least one person ordered the Trumpy Bear to use as a sex doll

It's funny you'd say that because I just showed that promo to a friend and the first thing he did was make a joke about how he'd buy one to cut a hole in it and gently caress it. But yeah, magas are going to be loving that thing so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Remember when you had to sit through this garbage if you went to a movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzSBEVbXtM

I remember seeing a Three Doors Down version of this before AVP2. They probably should have skipped that film since there’s like five minutes of the National Guard getting slaughtered by a Predator.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

lol do you have an alert set up to track posts with "Captain Marvel" and "Air Force" in them so you can reply with this image?

No one really cares much about Man of Steel schilling the National Guard because even though, yeah, it's a studio film being leveraged by the military for advertising which is just as bad as any other studio that does it, but nothing WB or any other studio in recent years has done was as egregious as Disney's CIA and Northrop Gunman poo poo, or as hilarious as Brie Larson looking directing into a camera and basically saying "ALL YOU LITTLE GIRLS, JOIN THE AIR FORCE! IT'S AWESOME!"

[edit] I'm leaving in that Grumman typo because lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 6, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Davros1 posted:

My theater lost it at the death of Kevin Costner in Man of Steel. And speaking of military recruitment:

Man of Steel casts Superman as an avatar of the US military forces and argues for the necessity of collateral damage in war, it is way more overtly jingoistic than any of the Marvel films, and yet it gets a free pass from the usual contrarians who keep bringing up that 10 second scene where Iron Man shoots at some terrorists.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Man of Steel ends with Superman destroying a drone and telling the military to gently caress off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Man of Steel casts Superman as an avatar of the US military forces and argues for the necessity of collateral damage in war, it is way more overtly jingoistic than any of the Marvel films, and yet it gets a free pass from the usual contrarians who keep bringing up that 10 second scene where Iron Man shoots at some terrorists.

What an absolutely terrible reading of Man of Steel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CPL593H posted:

Remember when General Cinema had that animated into where a bag of popcorn is on a date with a cup of pepsi and then he goes into the lobby and buys a pepsi? I'm still disturbed and upset about that. The whole theater is filled with anthropomorphic snacks but they go buy those snacks from the lobby. What the gently caress was going on? Why did they show this to children?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-ym0IUBuA

There's also a human serving him behind the counter, which brings up even MORE questions.

And when the popcorn jumps out of his head, is that supposed to represent his brains? Can he no longer remember his childhood?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

teagone posted:

What an absolutely terrible reading of Man of Steel.

It's certainly more accurate than your reading of any of the MCU films you discussed.

Which movie argues that letting people die to maintain secrets is a good thing?

Which movie says that killing people feels bad but it's necessary, regardless of your morals or the personal damage it does to your psyche?

Which movie has metropolis get completely destroyed by Superman's battle with his foes, but portrays this as unimportant in the face of stopping this Huge Threat?

If you don't see any of these as justifications for the actions of America's military and intelligence agencies, I don't know how you can claim to see that sort of subtext in other films. It is a giant neon sign justifying exactly what Trump is doing right now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

People keep bringing up Captain Marvel’s relationship with the military because it came out last year (as in less than a full year ago as of this post) and is part of the biggest mega-franchise owned by the biggest entertainment monopoly on earth, with a sequel certainly coming out eventually.

Davros1 keeps turning the convo to Man of Steel for some reason despite it coming out several years ago and being part of a dead franchise. There’s no point to even discuss MoS in the same breath unless you’re doing some pathetic Marvel vs DC vs Snyder stuff so I don’t know why this convo hasn’t been banished to the Snyder-dome yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^^^Look, someone has to ensure parity between Disney and other studios when it comes to all of them being leveraged for militaristic propaganda, more so if it's a DC/Marvel thing.

Tony Stark is more emblematic of Trump and exemplifies his policies more than any other hero depicted in recent years, imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 6, 2020

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
<GONG>

SNY-Y-Y-Y-Y - D-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R - D-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OME!!!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Anyway, YTotD is Marvin Digs, a 1967 Paramount animated short directed by Ralph Bakshi. This was before anyone would let him do any adult stuff, of course - but it's a surprisingly authentic, if compromised, representation of counter-culture influences on American youth for the mainstream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paA3d6pIwAk

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Dickeye wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to ban herself. Her account would be ended by her most beloved disciple... that was the way the mods wanted it. That was the mission she was given. And she had no choice but to carry it out... her ban at your hands was a duty she had to fulfill. Out of duty, she turned her back on her own posters. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In CineD, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in CSPAM, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a shitposter, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true poster, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memories. Not as a poster, but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. Goons, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her debriefing... will endure only in your heart. Everything she did, she did for her forums. She sacrificed her posts and her honor for her native land. She was a real hero. She was a true patriot.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/sleep2dream/status/1214033725631143936

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Semper Dickeye

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmfao

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Dickeye wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to ban herself. Her account would be ended by her most beloved disciple... that was the way the mods wanted it. That was the mission she was given. And she had no choice but to carry it out... her ban at your hands was a duty she had to fulfill. Out of duty, she turned her back on her own posters. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In CineD, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in CSPAM, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a shitposter, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true poster, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memories. Not as a poster, but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. Goons, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her debriefing... will endure only in your heart. Everything she did, she did for her forums. She sacrificed her posts and her honor for her native land. She was a real hero. She was a true patriot.

F

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Sam Mendes won Best Director lmao

At least it wasn't Todd Phillips or Tom Hooper (I have no idea if either was nominated but those are the worst picks off the top of my head for who might be up for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
loving Dickeye got perma'd? That's some deep bullshit. Give her a month off or something if she did something particularly egregious, but not that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Free Dickeye.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who is this Dickeye person? I can't find them in the Leper's Colony

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Clowner posted:

Who is this Dickeye person? I can't find them in the Leper's Colony

Benghazi 2. She was the one who showed us all Surviving Edged Weapons for the first time when her user name was Dickeye, so we mostly refer to her under that name.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh that person. Yeah they always seemed a little bit cranky but that perma is weird as hell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Clowner posted:

Oh that person. Yeah they always seemed a little bit cranky but that perma is weird as hell

Sometimes Dickeye is terrible, most of her bans and probes are at least partially justified, but on the whole she was a net benefit to this forum.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol she got perma'd because she shat in a Mod's cornflakes.

Yeah that one should be reversed. Yeesh.

In other news made some bitching chocolate chip cookies tonight.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Free Dickeye.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In honor of Joaquin Phoenix winning a golden globe, here’s the trailer to his first movie, Space Camp. He shows up in like one shot and is credited as Leaf Phoenix in the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPHII9F1nQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

In honor of Joaquin Phoenix winning a golden globe, here’s the trailer to his first movie, Space Camp. He shows up in like one shot and is credited as Leaf Phoenix in the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISPHII9F1nQ

Was River a stage name for his brother or was Joaquin originally christened Leaf and decided he wanted a more normal name and settled on Joaquin?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

Free Dickeye.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was never around during any of these fabled times when Dickeye wasn’t a terrible poster so tbh this seems like a net benefit for the forum. I’ve seen her get away with so many lovely and abusive posts that would have gotten most people a sixer at the very least in this thread alone.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Was River a stage name for his brother or was Joaquin originally christened Leaf and decided he wanted a more normal name and settled on Joaquin?

According to Wiki it's the opposite. Joaquin is his name, but he gave himself Leaf cause he was jealous of his siblings' actual nature-related names (River, Summer, Rain)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In this thread specifically, Dickeye and SMG fall under the same clause of near infinite forgiveness for me specifically, but I also think anyone who pays attention, for introducing us to films most of us would never have heard of or payed attention to otherwise, (the two Universal Soldier DTV films in SMGs case, and Surviving Edged Weapons and Terrorween when it comes to Dickeye, but that last one might be well known among goons who actually watch horror films).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The only interaction I’ve had with Dickeye was her getting alarmingly mad at me for having a differing opinion on a Spider-Man side character but there exists such a thing as solidarity and part of it is recognizing she was perma’d for vindictive vengeful forums politics bullshit instead of any actual legitimate reason so whatever personal beef you may have with her atm doesn’t matter.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 6, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really think it's just another example of the mods getting rid of known problem posters that make the forums worse, which they've been doing all year. It's a lifetime achievement permaban, not some kind of conspiracy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

According to Wiki it's the opposite. Joaquin is his name, but he gave himself Leaf cause he was jealous of his siblings' actual nature-related names (River, Summer, Rain)

Joaquin's not the oldest right? what loving rear end in a top hat names their kids River, Summer, Rain and Joaquin? Did grandpa Joaquin die a week before he was born? Way to create an instant divide in your children

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really think it's just another example of the mods getting rid of known problem posters that make the forums worse, which they've been doing all year. It's a lifetime achievement permaban, not some kind of conspiracy.

And yet you're still here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

And yet you're still here.

That's really unwarranted.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Look at the (month-old) post she was perma’d for and tell me this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

The only interaction I’ve had with Dickeye was her getting alarmingly mad at me for having a differing opinion on a Spider-Man side character but there exists such a thing as solidarity and part of it is recognizing she was perma’d for vindictive vengeful forums politics bullshit instead of any actual legitimate reason so whatever personal beef you may have with her atm doesn’t matter.

Na a broken clock can be right twice a day.