Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
But that's a chicken-and-egg problem. How would someone that doesn't know about oil or fossil fuels or nuclear power make a process for creating fossil fuel? Similarly, how would someone leap from gold and polished mirrors to nuclear reactors and solar cells without knowledge of nuclear reactions or the photovoltaic effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

DrSunshine posted:

But that's a chicken-and-egg problem. How would someone that doesn't know about oil or fossil fuels or nuclear power make a process for creating fossil fuel? Similarly, how would someone leap from gold and polished mirrors to nuclear reactors and solar cells without knowledge of nuclear reactions or the photovoltaic effect?

In my fanfic, their energy generation becomes driven by biological research rather than chemical.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

An advanced society where the idea that flammable things can be used for fuel is unknown is alien enough to be hard to speculate on, but I can't think of any level of resource extraction which will lead us there.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DrSunshine posted:

The original question was what happens when we bounce back from an apocalypse, where we assume that at least some people know about the things they want to rebuild. Enough people know enough about the basics of nuclear reactions and photovoltaics and semiconductors to find instructions and plans to bridge the gaps.

If we lose the memory of technology existing, yeah, we'd have to rediscover it from scratch.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrSunshine posted:

Why don't they know? We know without anyone telling us that stuff and we don't have a world full of books and examples to help us figure it out.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

The original question was what happens when we bounce back from an apocalypse, where we assume that at least some people know about the things they want to rebuild. Enough people know enough about the basics of nuclear reactions and photovoltaics and semiconductors to find instructions and plans to bridge the gaps.

If we lose the memory of technology existing, yeah, we'd have to rediscover it from scratch.

Ah. I guess I'd read that question of "bouncing back" as in "bouncing back from a hard reset to the Stone age".

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ah. I guess I'd read that question of "bouncing back" as in "bouncing back from a hard reset to the Stone age".

That was how I meant it. If we still retained at least a basic knowledge of what was possible and how, it would be much easier to bounce back from using the resources available in our detritus. If we reverted to stone age and had to learn it all again I think it would be very hard with depleted resources and non-natural distribution.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 4, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah if civilization gets completely wiped out and then replaced by squids and they evolve intelligence and we spent all the oil they are hosed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

What kind of preposterous thing can wipe out a civilization so completely? A comet/massive asteroid strike? If climate change resulted in a 20c temperature increase, the world would still be habitable for some people, even if billions died in the process. Likewise for nuclear war or supervolcanoes or any other catastrophe that didn't literally scour the surface of all plant and animal life, and every possible edifice and shelter was ineffective against it. People survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki... not a lot, but enough that if that was the percentage of humanity left to rebuild the Earth, we wouldn't fall back to the stone age.

In the context of all intelligent life, if they're comparably physically hardy to humans, there's no reason to think that a large number of them develop complex intelligence and technology and then self-destruct. It's hard to kill a species as tough as us. We're thinking of how to live on Mars and the Moon, places far less hospitable than even the worst Earth could ever be. We're not omnipotent, but if we're not seeing intelligent life everywhere, it's more likely that it's hard to communicate and detect each other, rather than never being alive at the same time.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

What kind of preposterous thing can wipe out a civilization so completely? A comet/massive asteroid strike? If climate change resulted in a 20c temperature increase, the world would still be habitable for some people, even if billions died in the process. Likewise for nuclear war or supervolcanoes or any other catastrophe that didn't literally scour the surface of all plant and animal life, and every possible edifice and shelter was ineffective against it. People survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki... not a lot, but enough that if that was the percentage of humanity left to rebuild the Earth, we wouldn't fall back to the stone age.

In the context of all intelligent life, if they're comparably physically hardy to humans, there's no reason to think that a large number of them develop complex intelligence and technology and then self-destruct. It's hard to kill a species as tough as us. We're thinking of how to live on Mars and the Moon, places far less hospitable than even the worst Earth could ever be. We're not omnipotent, but if we're not seeing intelligent life everywhere, it's more likely that it's hard to communicate and detect each other, rather than never being alive at the same time.

I agree with you, just saying that in the event of something like that happening (a weird and powerful contagion of some sort? even that is unlikely to kill everyone) we have basically used up a rung of the ladder needed for spaceflight.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A friend of mine wrote a scifi story of a species leapfrogging to nuclear power from steam due to the lack of fossil fuels.

An asteroid hitting is one reason why it'd be nice if we built underwater cities; I don't know how deep we could build underground cities to survive a 1km wide asteroid hitting us.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

dex_sda posted:

Yeah if civilization gets completely wiped out and then replaced by squids and they evolve intelligence and we spent all the oil they are hosed.

Not really, in the couple hundred million years it would take for a new squid civilization to replace ours, new fields of oil would have formed. The sun would be lot harder to deal with at that stage but hey bonus: More energy for their solar cells!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

Not really, in the couple hundred million years it would take for a new squid civilization to replace ours, new fields of oil would have formed.

(note: not a geologist, just a physicist, so I could be wrong)

I wouldn't be so sure it would be in significant quantities - for oil, probably, yeah, but the conditions are pretty specific.

Coal basically has no chance of forming, as it formed before fungus that could decompose trees evolved.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

A friend of mine wrote a scifi story of a species leapfrogging to nuclear power from steam due to the lack of fossil fuels.

An asteroid hitting is one reason why it'd be nice if we built underwater cities; I don't know how deep we could build underground cities to survive a 1km wide asteroid hitting us.

XCOM Terror in the Deep was a documentary

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

dex_sda posted:

(note: not a geologist, just a physicist, so I could be wrong)

I wouldn't be so sure it would be in significant quantities - for oil, probably, yeah, but the conditions are pretty specific.

Coal basically has no chance of forming, as it formed before fungus that could decompose trees evolved.

Nah. I mean, coal formed more rapidly before lignin metabolism evolved, but many existing deposits are younger than that. It's just that it takes tens of millions of years for lovely lignite deposits to build up and another hundred million for them to harden more into bituminous.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DrSunshine posted:

Well, humans created compressed versions of wood to make fires by using fire.

In Texas people were drilling for water and would sometimes stumble on oil. But at the time it was a black curse. It took a while for that to turn into black gold.

Or someone throws a black rock on a fire and having it explode. While you had no knowledge of doing so prior to the explosion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The whole "it's simple a rule you must have fossil fuels to have civilization!" seems so weird, like it's mixing some sort of wish for what would be good with an absolute rule.

Like if some second civilization of squid people after the original people people blew themselves and most of the coal up I can imagine some squid in squid england at the start of the squid industrial revolution hooking up a crude generator to a hydroelectric dam, to electrify the rails for his Werner von Siemens squid train, doing the math and saying "oh no, this will never scale up! our industrial civilization will never be able to exceed 150 million individuals worldwide!" and then just crumpling up the train and throwing it away.

Like we are going to meet a spaceship of these second civilization squid, they will tell us about how their first world countries only make up like 4% of their population and how the rest of the world is other squid they see as simply beasts and land to be exploited for their resources and labor and we will simply be shocked and horrified and tell them that sir, we are up to 4 or 5 generations since we did that (mostly).

Like it's easy to talk about how a civilization without nearly limitless access to simple coal energy would grow much slower and would be less comfortable and I bet the squid british empire would take 400 years to get through the industrial revolution instead of a couple decades if they couldn't just throw more coal at every problem they encountered, but like, the end result of a power poor world seems like more inequality and a shittier world for more people, not an alien race that looks it over and decides it wouldn't be fair and just never progresses. Squid british empire would look at the situation where their the only ones that can ever achieve modernity as a bonus, not a drawback (everyone else would see it as a drawback, but like, what are they gonna do about it?)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Nah. I mean, coal formed more rapidly before lignin metabolism evolved, but many existing deposits are younger than that. It's just that it takes tens of millions of years for lovely lignite deposits to build up and another hundred million for them to harden more into bituminous.

The brown coal formed later is much lower quality, is my understanding.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing is I could imagine some post-apoc civilization just doing Manhatten Project scale projects to jump start various aspects of an advanced modern economy instead of leaving it to the "free market".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing is I could imagine some post-apoc civilization just doing Manhatten Project scale projects to jump start various aspects of an advanced modern economy instead of leaving it to the "free market".

I mean, I can imagine some alien race that has a planet with some better cleaner easier to extract fossil fuel (like dinosaurs that just drop hydrogen cell batteries or something) wondering how we could do it without their thing and not being able to get over "but without dinosaur batteries how do they feed and uplift 8 billion people to modern standards" and us going "lol, we don't, like not 20%" and them not being to get over how awful we are to the point their wish we wouldn't exist and be so awful into some weird "humans can't exist"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Like I'm reminded of this Youtube lecture thing Crash Course which posits tacitly assumes as true that without exponential surplus energy, complex society cannot function and will come tumbling down.

Which okay might be true to some extent, but clearly as oil supplies becomes less cheap, you switch to other sources of energy and make the painful transition to transform your economy to use that other energy source. In the scenario in which fossil fuels finally either run dry or get too expensive to be continued to be used to fuel the commuter economy then sure "hydrogen" might be more of a "battery" or whatever but if you switch to electric cars then you can use other sources of energy, such as nuclear energy or heavily invest in nuclear fusion to get the surplus energy from a different source to keep society going or transform it into a different kind of society than one that relies on exponential growth forever.

I think that video series is interesting but veers a little too libertarian and prepper in mentality even if the guy in contrast to libertarians seems to assume that the free market is nearing complete collapse which is interesting for a libertarian.

e: I think I actually last watched his videos back in the early 2000's; apparently its been updated for 2014.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Think of dropping a motorcycle into 1600 europe, even if they didnt turn it on. The metal existing itself would change the planet if they did nothing but scrap it immediately. The rubber would change material sciences maybe 100 years after but it accelerates certain aspects of the society because they have a n item to reference as what can be done.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Isn't part of the problem that the easily accessible stuff (everything needed in industry, from helium to lithium to radioisotopes) will have been mined out, depleted and wrecked so bad that they might not get very far past fire and the wheel (assuming these squid need bicycles)? I'm not saying that a successor civilization wouldn't be able to work around these issues, but it does make building that civilization that much harder.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

What kind of preposterous thing can wipe out a civilization so completely?

Kerning Chameleon gains godlike power and wishes the human race out of existence.

quote:

A comet/massive asteroid strike? If climate change resulted in a 20c temperature increase, the world would still be habitable for some people, even if billions died in the process. Likewise for nuclear war or supervolcanoes or any other catastrophe that didn't literally scour the surface of all plant and animal life, and every possible edifice and shelter was ineffective against it. People survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki... not a lot, but enough that if that was the percentage of humanity left to rebuild the Earth, we wouldn't fall back to the stone age.

Jokes aside, being in the path of a gamma ray burst would probably do it. And a 20C temperature increase would probably kickstart a runaway greenhouse effect that would render the planet a Venusian hellworld. That aside, I mean, there's recorded evidence of civilizations in the past undergoing radical reversions in complexity, scope, and power.

Knowledge can, and does get lost, because all knowledge is in the end a cultural artifact, something created and transmitted by culture. It's perhaps a trivial example, but haven't you ever met someone who's very old, but has knowledge of a skill, or perhaps a family recipe, that they never bothered to teach to subsequent generations? When that person dies, their bit of knowledge dies with them. It's easy to conceive of a civilization-ending event, such as a meteor impact, a nuclear war, or catastrophic climate change, that causes enough of the world's civilization to splinter and fracture, that in subsequent generations, the knowledge of the processes used to sustain our current civilization are lost irrevocably.

Think of any object that's found or made in your present life, the car you drive, the city you live in. Every single thing we have had to be engineered, designed, made somehow. Even a paperclip! There is a tremendously complex process involved in mining the iron out of the ground, turning it into steel, turning the steel into machine parts, and then logistically sending it out and around. Without millions of engineers, scientists, technicians, tradespeople, workers, and countless others, nothing that we take for granted in society is possible, and any kind of simplification where knowledge of those basic processes is lost means that we'd have to rediscover all of them from scratch.

That is to say - yes, there are backyard and hobbyist blacksmiths who've made cool Youtube videos of stuff they've DIYed, but what about the iron and steel they were using? There's a guy with a channel devoted to making beautiful videos of him machining stuff on his lathe, but what about the parts needed to make the lathe in the first place? I don't know how to design and level a road, or construct a building. I don't know what steps go into manufacturing a printed circuit board. But I'm sure that, with some years of time and effort, I could figure out how to plant a row of crops, or fashion a lean-to out of wood and sticks, or make a rock into a stone hand-axe. That's Stone Age technology right there! If you take a random sample of all of the world's people, and remove 99% of everyone else, and scatter these people all over the world, there's absolutely no guarantee that what they could figure out or pass on to the next generation would be anything more than Stone-Age.

So, I guess what I mean to say is that when we lose a civilization due to a sufficiently big impact, it unravels at the base, in a cascading process. It's like the "for want of a nail" rhyme. If we lose enough billions of people in this winnowing process - whatever it may be - we might lose enough of the people who have knowledge of the basic processes of society that, after they die, there won't be enough knowledge remaining among the descendants to rebound. Just memories and folk tales passed down by mouth, vague dreams of a bygone age.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Most of us don't even really understand the importance and scale of industrial processes totally unrelated to agriculture which are designed entirely around the existence of corn!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
In the absences of fossil fuel deposits people would likely figure something out either by accident or over time and through loads effort. When Europeans came to the Americas basically every other thing they saw they thought was impossible for the Native Americans to have done because they didn't have X or Y.

Its highly possible that we have become blinded or discarded other valid answers to the solution since we have had centuries of reliance on fossil fuels.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 5, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Massive steampunk machines.