Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do they not know it's based on a French comic book?

Let's be honest, nobody in America knew what Snowpiercer was until Chris Evans showed up. Besides, wasn't it called something different? Fake edit: guess not.

Also I never read the comics and I know the plot was different, but I was under the impression there were similar themes in the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

watching the AMAZING Orson Welles version of The Trial and Anthony Perkins looks like Mayor Pete

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the eighties had so thoroughly propagandized the american public into thinking that war was inherently good that the idea of a movie saying that actually war is inherently bad was completely inconceivable

A lot of war movies from the eighties (Born on the Fourth of July, Das Boot, Platoon and Come and See for example) was anti-war though.

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah Battleship is a good movie

so was The Kingdom

too bad about the rest of Peter Berg's movies since
The Kingdom is pro-war propaganda though and it's not even well done.

Alhazred has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Jan 5, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Alhazred posted:

A lot of war movies from the eighties (Born on the Fourth of July, Das Boot, Platoon and Come and See for example) was anti-war though.

Can't forget Rambo

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Wheeee posted:

Can't forget Rambo

The path of popular interpretation of the Rambo series makes me sad. "Hey, our military is creating very scarred people who find integration back into civilian society a challenge, sometimes with deadly results." "Yeah, it's loving awesome because those people can kill the bad guys!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://twitter.com/lostthenumbers/status/1212873967926681600?s=19

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

foobardog posted:

The path of popular interpretation of the Rambo series makes me sad. "Hey, our military is creating very scarred people who find integration back into civilian society a challenge, sometimes with deadly results." "Yeah, it's loving awesome because those people can kill the bad guys!"

The first two are pretty anti-war (even if two has faulty "we left our boys in Vietnam" logic") but the last two kinda went into killing people is cool territory imo

I will always like three for teaching me that we were supporting the mujahadeen tho, since for some reason after 2001 that fact was scrubbed from existence

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Goatstein/status/1213906910396608514?s=20

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i get all of those but tyler durden, i remember him wanting to destroy all credit and banking records and that seems p cool

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Percelus posted:

i get all of those but tyler durden, i remember him wanting to destroy all credit and banking records and that seems p cool

he was also a primitivist moron who was obsessed with dumb macho poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tyler Durden is a psychological embodiment of ur-fascist machismo. He does everything short of openly calling for the murder of liberals and leftists. Ed Norton literally has to blow him out of his brain and there's still millions of guys out there who want their own fight clubs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I hope to Christ Howie from Uncut Gems is gonna break the cycle of stupid assholes being turned into male icons, but who knows.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

can we still destroy banking though?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like a piece of pop culture, therefore it must be politically good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBpdKkbvrko

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/sleep2dream/status/1214033725631143936?s=20

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I wish I had gone to Cats instead of RoS

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4OIHDsWsM

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
yeah star wars was kind of a bummer. i didn't hate it but there were a lot of things started that never finished, and spending the first hour looking for a map is some prequel-rear end poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Four episodes into The New Adventures Of Gerald The Witchyman and I'm enjoying it but I suspect it's completely impenetrable to anyone not already familiar with the source material.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also I never read the comics and I know the plot was different, but I was under the impression there were similar themes in the original?

not really its just a bog standard dystopia they never get anything anywhere near as elegant as the whole storming the train exactly one car at a time thing and the actual plot was so convoluted i can barely even remember it

Serf
May 5, 2011

the witcher felt like an attempt to recapture the feel of xena, and it succeeded. there's this dark fantasy world but everything feels the right amount of cheesy for it to be fun instead of overserious

cavill is great, he's too pretty for the role but he clearly understands what makes the character fun and plays to it very well

coathat
May 21, 2007

docbeard posted:

Four episodes into The New Adventures Of Gerald The Witchyman and I'm enjoying it but I suspect it's completely impenetrable to anyone not already familiar with the source material.

Nah I only knew that Geralt was the witcher and that there were women named Ciri and Yenniffer and i had no trouble keeping up

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

docbeard posted:

My wife was delighted that cavill got to play his best video game friend on tv, but otherwise thought it was a syfy level program several rungs of quality below Happy!

Which I was fine with. The woman’s bad taste appreciation sensors are more finely tuned and can only derive badfun from Riverdale, et al, where as I still like

Serf posted:

the witcher felt like an attempt to recapture the feel of xena, and it succeeded. there's this dark fantasy world but everything feels the right amount of cheesy for it to be fun instead of overserious

cavill is great, he's too pretty for the role but he clearly understands what makes the character fun and plays to it very well

This

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Serf posted:

:agreed:

the way his default reaction is "Hrm" is perfectly on character

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

My wife was delighted that cavill got to play his best video game friend on tv, but otherwise thought it was a syfy level program several rungs of quality below Happy!
She's right though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

She's right though.

Oh yeah def. I think so too. But that can be fun if you already like that stuff.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

The Thinking Man's Xena

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

The Thinking Man's Xena

if you don't have a boner then you gotta think about something

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Robotnik Nudes posted:

watching the AMAZING Orson Welles version of The Trial and Anthony Perkins looks like Mayor Pete

i have an idea for a 12 monkeys sequel, which will be a documentary

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

they should make a movie about a guy who a new kind of human that has special powers and his are regeneration and claws and so the military makes him into a super soldier by fusing metal to his skeleton but somehow he dies anyway and makes a deal with the devil to become a hellspawn and come back giving him even more powers but then gets dosed with radiation turning him into a massive muscle bound monster man too then an alien creature comes and fuses with him so he also has alien powers

also he adopts a baby yoda that he has to take care of

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Percelus posted:

they should make a movie about a guy who a new kind of human that has special powers and his are regeneration and claws and so the military makes him into a super soldier by fusing metal to his skeleton but somehow he dies anyway and makes a deal with the devil to become a hellspawn and come back giving him even more powers but then gets dosed with radiation turning him into a massive muscle bound monster man too then an alien creature comes and fuses with him so he also has alien powers

Your Mom: the motion picture

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gottem, guys

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we asked if we could get em but we never stopped to ask if we should....

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Your Mom: the motion picture

that could work, trump has proven sundowning conservatives are comedy gold

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Percelus posted:

The Avengercrats!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Which I was fine with. The woman’s bad taste appreciation sensors are more finely tuned and can only derive badfun from Riverdale, et al, where as I still like

Happy! is also a tightly written and fully self-contained story based on a comic book with a definitive beginning and end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Happy! is also a tightly written and fully self-contained story based on a comic book with a definitive beginning and end.

i need to get back into that show