Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dongs flapping all over the place.

Undulating into the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

food court bailiff posted:

While Rendezvous with Rama isn’t a terrible book, its sequels literally inspired this thread.

Most all of those "written by Arthur C Clarke and (Hack Author)" are freaking awful. One of them included Clarke's original 5 page treatment for the book, tipping you to the facts that 1. That was all Clarke had contributed, 2. The actual book had no resemblance to the treatment, 3. It was all Hack Author's fault

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus I'd change my name.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus I'd change my name.

I don't think that would have saved him. People will remember the guy who introduced himself as Mr. Christ.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Damon Suede and Hack Author fought who would win?

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dongs flapping all over the place.

In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

nonathlon posted:

Most all of those "written by Arthur C Clarke and (Hack Author)" are freaking awful. One of them included Clarke's original 5 page treatment for the book, tipping you to the facts that 1. That was all Clarke had contributed, 2. The actual book had no resemblance to the treatment, 3. It was all Hack Author's fault

Hack Author loves to ignore whatever Good Author had in mind and shoehorn in whatever they want. See also that Foundation prequel that was mostly about "what if Voltaire and Joan of Arc were AIs and also they boned?"

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Hack Author loves to ignore whatever Good Author had in mind and shoehorn in whatever they want. See also that Foundation prequel that was mostly about "what if Voltaire and Joan of Arc were AIs and also they boned?"

When I was younger going through my Asimov phase I got burned at the used bookstore getting that series and another one where people had to go through time to rescue robots. They were terrible.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love Asimov a lot but I refuse to acknowledge those books as canon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

If Damon Suede and Hack Author fought who would win?

oh yeah, this was mentioned in the TBB chat/questions thread:

https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1165782276128460800
https://twitter.com/MarjorieIngall/status/1211139194275467264

Unpacking the Racist Drama Roiling the World of Romance Writers
https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/rwa-racism-controversy-with-courtney-milan-explained.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Damon Suede.... IS Hack Author :monocle:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I forget if The Eye of Argon has been posted before or not.
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon/eyeargon.htm

quote:

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

The enthused barbarian swilveled about, his shock of fiery red hair tossing robustly in the humid air currents as he faced the attack of the defeated soldier's fellow in arms.

"drat you, barbarian" Shrieked the soldier as he observed his comrade in death.

quote:

Eyeing a slender female crouched alone at a nearby bench, Grignr advanced wishing to wholesomely occupy his time. The flickering torches cast weird shafts of luminescence dancing over the half naked harlot of his choice, her stringy orchid twines of hair swaying gracefully over the lithe opaque nose, as she raised a half drained mug to her pale red lips.

Glancing upward, the alluring complexion noted the stalwart giant as he rapidly approached. A faint glimmer sparked from the pair of deep blue ovals of the amorous female as she motioned toward Grignr, enticing him to join her. The barbarian seated himself upon a stool at the wenches side, exposing his body, naked save for a loin cloth brandishing a long steel broad sword, an iron spiraled battle helmet, and a thick leather sandals, to her unobstructed view.

"Thou hast need to occupy your time, barbarian",questioned the female?

"Only if something worth offering is within my reach." Stated Grignr,as his hands crept to embrace the tempting female, who welcomed them with open willingness.

"From where do you come barbarian, and by what are you called?" Gasped the complying wench, as Grignr smothered her lips with the blazing touch of his flaming mouth.

The engrossed titan ignored the queries of the inquisitive female, pulling her towards him and crushing her sagging nipples to his yearning chest. Without struggle she gave in, winding her soft arms around the harshly bronzedhide of Grignr corded shoulder blades, as his calloused hands caressed her firm protruding busts.

"You make love well wench," Admitted Grignr as he reached for the vessel of potent wine his charge had been quaffing.

A flying foot caught the mug Grignr had taken hold of, sending its blood red contents sloshing over a flickering crescent; leashing tongues of bright orange flame to the foot trodden floor.

"Remove yourself Sirrah, the wench belongs to me;" Blabbered a drunken soldier, too far consumed by the influences of his virile brew to take note of the superior size of his adversary.

quote:

Consciousness returned to Grignr in stygmatic pools as his mind gradually cleared of the cobwebs cluttering its inner recesses, yet the stygian cloud of charcoal ebony remained. An incompatible shield of blackness, enhanced by the bleak abscense of sound.

Grignr's muddled brain reeled from the shock of the blow he had recieved to the base of his skull. The events leading to his predicament were slow to filter back to him. He dickered with the notion that he was dead and had descended or sunk, however it may be, to the shadowed land beyond the the aperature of the grave, but rejected this hypothesis when his memory sifted back within his grips. This was not the land of the dead, it was something infinitely more precarious than anything the grave could offer. Death promised an infinity of peace, not the finite misery of an inactive life of confined torture, forever concealed from the life bearing shafts of the beloved rising sun. The orb that had been before taken for granted, yet now cherished above all else. To be forever refused further glimpses of the snow capped summits of the land of his birth, never again to witness the thrill of plundering unexplored lands beyond the crest of a bleeding horizon, and perhaps worst of all the denial to ever again encompass the lustful excitement of caressing the naked curves of the body of a trim yound wench.

This was indeed one of the buried chasms of Hell concealed within the inner depths of the palace's despised interior. A fearful ebony chamber devised to drive to the brinks of insanity the minds of the unfortunately condemned, through the inapt solitude of a limbo of listless dreary silence.

quote:

Situated in front of the altar, and directly adjacent to the copper pail was a massive jade idol; a misshaped, hideous bust of the shamens' pagan diety. The shimmering green idol was placed in a sitting posture on an ornately carved golden throne raised upon a round, dvory plated dias; it bulging arms and webbed hands resting on the padded arms of the seat. Its head was entwined in golden snake-like coils hanging over its oblong ears, which tappered off to thin hollow points. Its nose was a bulging triangular mass, sunken in at its sides with tow gaping nostrils. Dramatic beneath the nostrils was a twisted, shaggy lipped mouth, giving the impression of a slovering sadistic grimace.

At the foot of the heathen diety a slender, pale faced female, naked but for a golden, jeweled harness enshrouding her huge outcropping breasts, supporting long silver laces which extended to her thigh, stood before the pearl white field with noticable shivers traveling up and down the length of her exquisitely molded body. Her delicate lips trembled beneath soft narrow hands as she attemped to conceal herself from the piercing stare of the ambivalent idol.

Glaring directly down towards her was the stoney, cycloptic face of the bloated diety. Gaping from its single obling socket was scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald, a brilliant gem seeming to possess a life all of its own. A priceless gleaming stone, capable of domineering the wealth of conquering empires...the eye of Argon.

quote:

"What are you called by female?"

"Carthena, daughter of Minkardos, Duke of Barwego, whose lands border along the northwestern fringes of Gorzom. I was paid as homage to Agaphim upon his thirty-eighth year," husked the femme!

"And I am called a barbarian!" Grunted Grignr in a disgusted tone!

"Aye! The ways of our civilization are in many ways warped and distorted, but what is your calling," she queried, bustily?

"Grignr of Ecordia."

"Ah, I have heard vaguely of Ecordia. It is the hill country to the far east of the Noregolean Empire. I have also heard Agaphim curse your land more than once when his troops were routed in the unaccustomed mountains and gorges." Sayeth she.

"Aye. My people are not tarnished by petty luxuries and baubles. They remain fierce and unconquerable in their native climes."

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Eye of Argon is a masterpiece.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sayeth she.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bustily

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think you mean "huge outcropping breasts".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
The lithe opaque nose is a work of genius.

Actually although the prose in Eye of Argon is hilariously inept, the story has certain qualities that disqualify it from being truly terrible. Chiefly, it's brief and to the point, and while the plot may be simple it moves along at a good clip.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1213359187599605761

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Groke posted:

The lithe opaque nose is a work of genius.

Actually although the prose in Eye of Argon is hilariously inept, the story has certain qualities that disqualify it from being truly terrible. Chiefly, it's brief and to the point, and while the plot may be simple it moves along at a good clip.

I got the impression it's someone trying their hand at a classic Conan style story while trying way too hard to be old-style with the prose. And doesn't it not really have an ending?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I got the impression it's someone trying their hand at a classic Conan style story while trying way too hard to be old-style with the prose. And doesn't it not really have an ending?

The usual form of Eye of Argon doesn't have an ending, I think because it was discovered in a university fanzine (in the 1970s?) and in the repeated photocopying and mimeographing, the last few pages were lost. The ending has been (re-)discovered twice with reference to the original story.

And that (classic Conan) is exactly what it's trying to be. The guy who wrote it was 16 and was later terminally embarrassed by it. I can't get too interested in EoA: it's an adolescent story never intended to be widely distributed and more a thing that fans have worked themselves up over, insisting that it's insanely funny.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't Eye of Argon the story that's only known because people at fantasy cons would compete at who could read it out loud the longest without laughing?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How is something "riveted FROM"?!?!??

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't Eye of Argon the story that's only known because people at fantasy cons would compete at who could read it out loud the longest without laughing?

That's it. Pulled from obscurity for that reason and only that. Seems to me it'd be much more interesting to read and poke fun at mainstream trash, rather than an unpublished teenagers scribblings.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think you mean "huge outcropping breasts".

mastodonic jutting chest orbs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Proud granitite eruptions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jerry Cotton posted:

How is something "riveted FROM"?!?!??

I reread that line so many times. Like I get what he's going for: the sword is riveted to a shield and extends to kill fuckers when he moves his arm just right, I think. But yeah, nothing is riveting from anything.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

nonathlon posted:

That's it. Pulled from obscurity for that reason and only that. Seems to me it'd be much more interesting to read and poke fun at mainstream trash, rather than an unpublished teenagers scribblings.

I Don’t Even Own a Television exists, and it is loving delightful.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

nonathlon posted:

Honestly I think they picked the unpublished scribbling because if they used some actual published trash there would be a decent chance there would be fans of that writer and/or the writer themselves doing a panel at that convention, and they didnt want that drama. So instead they make fun of the thing which no-one at the con could have been an unironic fan of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also it's one thing to make fun of random teen fanfics, but Eye of Argon is unique in how bizarrely awful the prose is. 16 or not, he made something unintentionally beautiful in its badness. The moment you unironically write "husked the femme" and submit that to a magazine you give up all right to avoid being laughed at.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, but it's still a kid learning to write and imagine if the stuff you wrote as a teen got trotted out for mockery by a bunch of neckbeards who wouldn't be able to string together two sentences without referencing Firefly if they tried. It's kinda lovely.

Now, if he had parents who were publishers who got another publisher to print it, promote it as a Harry Potter competitor, and make a wide-release movie based on it, then it would be worthy of mockery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If someone managed to dig up the crap I wrote when I was sixteen I'd be legitimately impressed because I think it all died with a hard drive two decades ago.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, but it's still a kid learning to write and imagine if the stuff you wrote as a teen got trotted out for mockery by a bunch of neckbeards who wouldn't be able to string together two sentences without referencing Firefly if they tried. It's kinda lovely.

Now, if he had parents who were publishers who got another publisher to print it, promote it as a Harry Potter competitor, and make a wide-release movie based on it, then it would be worthy of mockery.

Eragon?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SiKboy posted:

Honestly I think they picked the unpublished scribbling because if they used some actual published trash there would be a decent chance there would be fans of that writer and/or the writer themselves doing a panel at that convention, and they didnt want that drama. So instead they make fun of the thing which no-one at the con could have been an unironic fan of.

There was a variation based on a popular published author -- "clench racing," where you took a copy of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and tried to be the first one to find the word "clench." Apparently it never took very long.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ryonguy posted:

I wrote when I was 16. I can guarantee it was not anywhere on the level of Eye of Argon. That’s a special level of bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PYF Dumb poo poo You Wrote As A Kid

6 year old strom wrote a Christmas story about a tree that flew to the North Pole on a vacuum cleaner (the cable whirled around like a propeller)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

PYF Dumb poo poo You Wrote As A Kid

6 year old strom wrote a Christmas story about a tree that flew to the North Pole on a vacuum cleaner (the cable whirled around like a propeller)

Please make this a thread, folks, if you have access to your juvenilia and it is not heart-stoppingly embarrassing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

In third grade, I wrote a story about a bird-man who accidentally set off a rocket to the moon with himself inside. He yelled "crud!" when this happened, and my teacher thought this was too harsh and wanted me to change it to "oh, no!" I was extremely righteously indignant about this, in the way only a snotty nine-year-old can be.

EDIT: but yes, this would be a good thread

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I also wrote a bunch of "comedy" "genre-savvy" short story "parodies" about ten years before TVtropes became a thing.

I may still have them in a cupboard somewhere

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

In third grade, I wrote a story about a bird-man who accidentally set off a rocket to the moon with himself inside. He yelled "crud!" when this happened, and my teacher thought this was too harsh and wanted me to change it to "oh, no!" I was extremely righteously indignant about this, in the way only a snotty nine-year-old can be.

EDIT: but yes, this would be a good thread

I wrote a story in third grade about a bunch of cats that ate some birds so of course they grew wings and were able to fly. That is how eating things works. I was praised for its length but scolded for going off topic. The story is gone now but I will never, ever stop feeling super dumb about my understanding of biology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I more or less agree with the view I read somewhere that Eye of Argon was chosen because it is, in many ways, not nearly as bad as most bad writing. The pacing is fine, the plot is at least serviceable and the imagery is... vivid. It's the word choice that really makes it special. Whereas most bad writing is just boring with the occasional ludicrous passage.