Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, what exactly is happening here? Fire on takeoff, very very gentle landing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

So, what exactly is happening here? Fire on takeoff, very very gentle landing?

The wheel falls off on takeoff, I think because a bearing seized.

Once in the air, the captain is informed of the missing wheel.

After circling for a while to burn off some fuel, they return and make an exemplary landing on the three‐thousand‐metre runway they took off from.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Are the engines suffering increased wear and tear flying through this?

Also, :stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does the engine gain efficiency from the free wood gas in the intake or lose efficiency because the stoichiometry is ruined?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Does the engine gain efficiency from the free wood gas in the intake or lose efficiency because the stoichiometry is ruined?

Probably loses some from bad O2 ratios, although a smart ecu or engineer could adjust for it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I can't even tell that they've left the ramp.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

PainterofCrap posted:

I can't even tell that they've left the ramp.
Heck of a bank angle for a plane on the ramp.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

After circling for a while to burn off some fuel, they return and make an exemplary landing on the three‐thousand‐metre runway they took off from.

Wouldn't it be right to shout about it before takeoff? I understand that they didn't of course, you might not know if it's supposed to do that, you might be worried about causing delays, costing money, wanting to get going etc. I wonder if I'd have the balls to shout "abort takeoff" down the aisle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

The pilots already knew something had gone wrong or they would have retracted the gear after takeoff. There are temperature sensors in the gear and brakes to prevent them from doing so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also "abort takeoff" may not be the actual procedure for losing a wheel/tire on takeoff seeing as how you would probably want the most room you could possibly have to slow down.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bull3964 posted:

Also "abort takeoff" may not be the actual procedure for losing a wheel/tire on takeoff seeing as how you would probably want the most room you could possibly have to slow down.

It's also a Q400 so those pilots have been staring down the face of death daily for years are well aware of how capable the short field performance of their aircraft is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Likewise it’s a dash 8 so landing gear problems are under “normal procedures”

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
From the atc recording, tower informed them almost instantly, noting that the smoke quit on rotation. Rapid accurate comms all around there.

I'll fish up a video link shortly, but it's VASAviation, who you probably already watch.

E: Rejecting takeoff would for sure blow the rest of the tires, which is one way to resolve the situation I guess.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Anything to declare?"

"Yeah...don't fly to Anadyr."

I appreciated this

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Deptfordx posted:

Are the engines suffering increased wear and tear flying through this?

Also, :stonk:

I think in the bushfire thread there was someone working with the planes/helicopters used for fire fighting and it is pretty bad for engines/aircraft in general and they are struggling to keep them in service but I am hardly an expert. I have to imagine it can't be great for them.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Subjecting a turbine engine to repeated/prolonged exposure to smoke, soot, etc... causes issues because the particulates in the air can block off some of the internal passages that route cooling air through the engine, foul sensors, block things like oil coolers, and abrade the compressor blades or stick to them and reduce their effectiveness.

Since areas immediately around fires can also have less oxygen than normal, an engine could flame out, which is a bad thing at low level.

On top of that, since fires have localized areas of much hotter air around them, flying through those areas can cause the inlet and exhaust gas temperatures to spike, which can cause issues if the fuel controller can't react fast enough to keep the temperatures within limits.

Aside from the wear on the engines, firefighting is also hard on the airframe (lots of takeoff/landing cycles, maneuvering, and turbulence), so it's a job that generally beats the hell out of airplanes in lots of ways.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah in that kinda sitch we'd do compressor washes every flight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So it turns out somebody did save blueprints to the Avro Arrow.

For maximum irony, they're on display at the University of Saskatchewan's Diefenbaker Canada Centre.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ghost of Diefenbaker is gonna gently caress that poo poo up

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A Ukrainian 737 has crashed with 180 on board in Iran.

Supposidly a technical issue this time and not a Russian missile...

Or US missile...

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
That Ukrainian plane was shot down by Iranian fighters. Video of the plane descending in a ball of fire:

https://t.me/Khabar_Fouri/178465

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That Ukrainian plane was shot down by Iranian fighters. Video of the plane descending in a ball of fire:

What source is saying it was shot down?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What source is saying it was shot down?

Al Hadath, that it was downed by air defense units https://twitter.com/AlHadath/status/1214758196511985664

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s some English:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1214754644561399808

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1214757952625750017

Speed and rate of climb are consistent with a normal departure.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

And for the double post

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1214755618508230657

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

ManifunkDestiny posted:

There's probably minimal evidence of this being true - but it seems perfectly possible. Taking off the same time as Iran is launching counter-strikes and with a jumpy air defense network is a recipe for trouble in any country.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
poo poo

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I worked on the delivery for that plane in 2016. Very sad news.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sperglord posted:

There's probably minimal evidence of this being true - but it seems perfectly possible. Taking off the same time as Iran is launching counter-strikes and with a jumpy air defense network is a recipe for trouble in any country.

Why would air defense be jumpy about stuff taking off from their capital city? Is there a US military base at the Tehran airport?

Unless it was unlucky enough to have a mid-air collision with one of the missiles sent at Iraqi bases, and I'm not gonna look at maps because of how unlikely it is, I'm gonna blame this on the 737 being a 737.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I defer to the video of a fuckoff huge fireball.

If the video does depict that plane, and it’s just a “737 being a 737”, Boeing is now making plane parts out of Composition 4.

It wasn’t a mechanical failure.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hold up for a moment. The only thing we have in the way of any evidence for anything as of now, is the video of the plane engulfed in fire while crashing into the ground. A good time to spare a thought for these people and their surviving families, and maybe the preciousness of life in general.

Two things that can start fires and then crash a plane are, for example, exploding engines (maybe a turbine disk failure) or an exploding missile. That's the extent of what evidence there is. Would be nice to know more.

Lets hope there's nothing more wrong with our bloody planes today.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can we properly confirm that video's of THAT plane, not something from 7 years ago or whatever?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ukraine has retracted the statement about “engine failure”.

The video there suggests cameraman filmed the fireball, then ran to the crash site and started filming it. Of course it’s possible that narrative is mistaken.

Here’s the PPRUNE thread. More links inside, and photos of the debris field.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 8, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This video taken at the crash site shows both engines.

If anyone here is an expert at diagnosing engine failures based on low‐quality images of those engines crashed in a field, have at it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A few of those pics show frag damage on the skin but those could be turbine discs parts relocating themselves at high velocity. Iranians say they won't hand the FDR to the yanks, but maybe they will to a third party.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Why would air defense be jumpy about stuff taking off from their capital city? Is there a US military base at the Tehran airport?

Unless it was unlucky enough to have a mid-air collision with one of the missiles sent at Iraqi bases, and I'm not gonna look at maps because of how unlikely it is, I'm gonna blame this on the 737 being a 737.

A jumpy air defense operator might not know exactly which direction the blip is going, just that it appeared over the airfield he is supposed to be defending. Could be that they were checking against departure times, and that the plane was early/late, long communication path, short decision time...

It could of course be an accident, but how? Uncontained engine failure can cause fire but it rarely brings down the plane right away.

I'd could well be that some Iranian doofus hosed up and that the Ukrainians somehow found a way to say "water under the bridge". It won't stay secret for long if that's the case.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Russia deciding that now everything is teetering on a bad cliff, small shoves are worthwhile

And the real irony is, the underlying motivation is not weakening the US, it's driving up the price of oil

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cat Mattress posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents. See 1962 Aeroflot Flight 902, Linhas Aéreas de Angola Yakovlev Yak-40, Korean Air Lines Flight 007, Iran Air Flight 655, the 2001 Peru shootdown, and Siberia Airlines Flight 1812. Do not underestimate the power of poorly trained soldiers and incompetent commanding officers.

And of course, this isn't Aeronautical, but the story of the Baltic Fleet during the Russo-Japanese war is another example of such blinding incompetence. The Russian fleet was so scared of a Japanese surprise attack that they mis-identified three British fishing ships sailing in European waters at night as Japanese battleships. The resulting incident nearly led the British to declare war on Russia for the disaster.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly a military shoot down is not incredibly likely overall, but it’s a gently caress sight more likely than a fresh 737-800 experiencing spontaneous catastrophic failure in midair, so working backward from the end, it looks reasonably likely.