Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just bought the new battletech armored combat box. Coming from the PC game and other wargaming.

Anything I should now going in? I assume this is what I need to get a few games in with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hate the Davions so much. Ugh. Davions. I really want to believe that all their prancing song and dance about democracy and freedom is just a sham to let the aristocracy exploit their lessers with a quiet conscience.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

w00tmonger posted:

Just bought the new battletech armored combat box. Coming from the PC game and other wargaming.

Anything I should now going in? I assume this is what I need to get a few games in with people

The Game of Armored Combat is the best box set BattleTech has ever had. That will set you up for more than a few games with people; I think out of the box you can run 8v8 which is already on the 'big' end of a BattleTech game you expect to actually finish.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Strobe posted:

The Game of Armored Combat is the best box set BattleTech has ever had. That will set you up for more than a few games with people; I think out of the box you can run 8v8 which is already on the 'big' end of a BattleTech game you expect to actually finish.

8 models total so 4v4? Either way good to know. Is the intention with battletech more to build a bunch of poo poo and have a personal army? Or more cultivate an RPG experience and just grab whatever?

Edit: oh wait it comes with a bunch of cardboard punch out mechs. Maybe your right

E2:vvvvv perfect!

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 27, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

w00tmonger posted:

8 models total so 4v4? Either way good to know. Is the intention with battletech more to build a bunch of poo poo and have a personal army? Or more cultivate an RPG experience and just grab whatever?

Edit: oh wait it comes with a bunch of cardboard punch out mechs. Maybe your right

Yeah I was counting the cardboard standees in terms of what your maximum game size is. The intention with BattleTech is that you take it exactly as big as you want to. For some people that's having the box set and playing pick-up games. For others it's ending up with hundreds of 'Mechs in parade colors that you never use (:v:).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arglebargle III posted:

I hate the Davions so much. Ugh. Davions. I really want to believe that all their prancing song and dance about democracy and freedom is just a sham to let the aristocracy exploit their lessers with a quiet conscience.

It is. There was a whole story in their introductory sourcebook about a planet called Muskegon. They practiced a tremendously brutal form of apartheid for centuries, even after joining the Federated Suns. The ruling family was eventually deposed, not for any kind of civil rights violations or the way that their last Commander publicly executed children to warn people not to bother him, but because they backed the wrong side in a civil war.

Also there hasn't been meaningful democracy in the Federated Suns for 700 years.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

How much should I give a gently caress about color schemes and of so is there a guide?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

w00tmonger posted:

How much should I give a gently caress about color schemes and of so is there a guide?

Absolutely if you want style points, and there's a "Unit Color Compendium" that's fan-made that has 144 pages of various camouflages and its dope as gently caress

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Absolutely if you want style points, and there's a "Unit Color Compendium" that's fan-made that has 144 pages of various camouflages and its dope as gently caress

Actually, go here, this is apparently the webpage for the PDF I have

https://unitcolorcompendium.com/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I prefer camospecs.com because they don't roll in fan-made schemes alongside canon ones

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 29, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I prefer camospecs.com because they don't roll in fan-made schemes alongside canon ones

Camospecs was dogshit slow last time I tried to use it, fwiw.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Those are easy to spot because they all have:

Paint Scheme by (fan-made and not canonized: [person name]

The real ones will list TRO page numbers or list 'CSO' for CamoSpecs. Camospecs is better when it works but even at its best it's slow and ponderous.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Do people still use total warfare rules or is it just too complicated?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TW is the same ruleset people have been using in BT for the better part of 30 years, just with a new name.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Well I was looking at some aerotech stuff and I was curious how often that is mixed in

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not frequently. It's included so that Aero is part of the 'tournament legal' umbrella, but I haven't seen it used very much in practice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It still bemuses me that you can only strafe (attack multiple targets in a line) with energy weapons. How does that make sense? A PPC can somehow touch multiple targets but an autocannon can’t?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its impossible to find minis for vehicles and aero and anything that's not a mech anyway

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phi230 posted:

Its impossible to find minis for vehicles and aero and anything that's not a mech anyway

Ironwind Metals has a bunch of both and plenty more besides.

You definitely won't find much in plastic though that's still definitely true.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can't lose mechs to srm carriers if no one makes the minis anymore. :agesilaus:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Playing with anything other than a Lance of mechs (max) is madness

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

How much of a thing is 3d printing for battletech?

A resin printer would have you covered and given the age of some models it seems like the way you'd want to go.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

w00tmonger posted:

How much of a thing is 3d printing for battletech?

A resin printer would have you covered and given the age of some models it seems like the way you'd want to go.

Depends, I found some stuff on Etsy and a couple weird offsites (Warhansa, Strato Minis) for relatively cheap that I ordered. Will come back with a trip report.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

Depends, I found some stuff on Etsy and a couple weird offsites (Warhansa, Strato Minis) for relatively cheap that I ordered. Will come back with a trip report.

Warhansa's resin and good quality.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Strobe posted:

Alpha Strike works fine on hexes, just cut every distance on the unit cards and rules by half. A mech that moves 8"j on terrain moves 4j on hexes. Ranges are 6"/24"/42" on terrain and 3/12/21 on hexes. That by itself is probably most of the conversion you'll need to do.

As someone who just played Alpha Strike for the first time it's just not super clear on how to do LOS and intervening terrain. We just played it like I've played battletech for the past 20 years and said heavy wood hex plus light wood hex = no LOS. I also counted a mech standing in heavy woods plus an intervening light wood as no LOS seeing that mech, but that mech can see out, but that might not be right with alpha strike.

e: I have the corrected second printing of Alpha Strike if that makes a difference and didn't look up any errata.

ee: I can't find the rule where a to-hit of a 12 is a through-armor crit? It's in the errata :v:

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 2, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Line of sight is always* reciprocal in BattleTech but otherwise sounds like you did it right.

* you didn't meet the ridiculously specific criteria where it isn't, I promise.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

It begins

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Strobe posted:

Line of sight is always* reciprocal in BattleTech but otherwise sounds like you did it right.

* you didn't meet the ridiculously specific criteria where it isn't, I promise.

It'd still be +3 to hit the mech in heavy woods, but +1 for the mech shooting out of heavy woods?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The hex you're in doesn't count for shooting out, just shooting in. Posting up at the edge of heavy woods is usually a really good move.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Prefect Six posted:

It'd still be +3 to hit the mech in heavy woods, but +1 for the mech shooting out of heavy woods?

Correct.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The hex you're in doesn't count for shooting out, just shooting in. Posting up at the edge of heavy woods is usually a really good move.

It's generally a good idea for slower mechs provided that you're not using the accidental fire rules (or the intentional ones for that matter). Getting a +2 defensive bonus over your target, all other things being equal, is very significant in most cases.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That's a nice start.

Edit: I just finished up my own a few days ago, too!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 5, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

ending up with hundreds of 'Mechs in parade colors that you never use (:v:).

Hello yes I believe this is the game for me

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think after the kickstarter delivers I'm going to start unloading every 'Mech I have in metal/older plastic that isn't Dark Age. Gonna go all in on the good poo poo.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So where do I get more Mechs? I used to have a ton but sold them all on ebay, got the new boxset for Christmas and now I want to re-spend money on more Mechs. Is ebay it?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ironwind Metals is still the official mini producer. I don't think that's changed since the late 90s. But they don't sell the Hauptmann anymore, so gently caress em. There's Warhansa making some with names that are definitely not BattleTech names, and you can always try 3D printing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ironwind Metals is still the official mini producer. I don't think that's changed since the late 90s. But they don't sell the Hauptmann anymore, so gently caress em. There's Warhansa making some with names that are definitely not BattleTech names, and you can always try 3D printing.

https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4834&osCsid=06mu6gqn6oaksssjh2hr1kvfh7

https://store.ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3855&osCsid=06mu6gqn6oaksssjh2hr1kvfh7

:raise:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish IronWind website wasn't made and last updated in 2000.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Ironwind is the most functional geocities site I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
It's awful. I am just going to keep an eye on Ebay for lots.