Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What confuses me is that it's only Rudy and his girlfriend there. If Holbrook wanted this to be a game, then there should be more people controlling the other drones. Not to mention that if the rest of the drones are just stationary then you're stuck moving around slowly if you don't want to crash into the other drones.

Seeing this reminds me how nonsensical this whole storyline was. The old lady at the bottom spilled her heart out to Mindy about what it's like being a woman comic creator who dealt with workplace misogyny back in the old days. Posters in SonOfStuckFunky who did more research on the subject pointed out that things weren't as grim for women who worked in the comic industry back then as Batiuk paints it out to be (Batiuk not even bothering to properly research his topics comes to no surprise). The story then ended with the old lady getting hired so she and Mindy could team up to make Wayback Wendy because rah rah feminism rah rah give Batiuk an award.

So while this cover seems okay, the fact that Batiuk got two guys to make it completely undermines what he was going for.

These sure are a pile of words stringed together to make it sound deeper than it actually is.

gently caress you, Frazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Corto rolls a critical fail on his bartering check, or I suppose the turban would actually help muffle the sound of the blow..., or Hello there

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"
Big Nate

Dilbert

In Security

Macanudo

Magnificatz

Pros & Cons

Six Chix

Wizard of Id

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the brigands

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 13, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 13, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 13, 1988)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

The Lawton Constitution posted:

"Steve [Kelley] is deeply funny, and while a great cartoon artist in his own right, he felt more comfortable writing the gags and having me draw it."

Kelley’s characters aren’t one-note. They are deeply thought-out and well-defined. This method of writing creates “little situations of conflict that throw off humor,” according to Kelley.

I feel I've read this interview before, but it claims to be new:

https://www.swoknews.com/news/dustin-makes-its-debut/article_44b37340-2b63-5bf3-89ed-c5dde5b947df.html

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Garfield - January 21, 2001

"Strix, this comic elicits only a faint smile and appears to be copy-pasted. Why is it noteworthy to you?" Because when I was a kid (I was around ten when this comic came out) my brother and I picked up on it immediately and began doing it to each other all the time. My parents were annoyed, we were delighted, and Garfield really struck a chord loud enough to make me remember it nearly twenty years later.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

No Safe Havens on Sundays!
I just want to thank you for bringing this back.

F Minus

Commas are important.

Mark Trail

Dr Camel hates Mark's passive aggressive complaining.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 13, 1998)

Carrying a beeper and a cell phone only for emergencies is peak late '90s.

Also why the hell is Dilbert back?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Endless Mike posted:

Also why the hell is Dilbert back?

This is the thread for hating terrible comic strips. Take your good, wholesome strips somewhere else! :argh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nenonen posted:

This is the thread for hating terrible comic strips. Take your good, wholesome strips somewhere else! :argh:

No, you must be confused. This is the Popeye, Arlo & Janis, Nancy, Surgeon's Tales, Boss Dharma, and Nekonaughy thread.

Btw

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The way Aunt Tildy is drawn, it looks like she's wearing someone else's face.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 11, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 20-21, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Dec 19-22, 2014)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Founder's Day differs by company, since they were all founded at different times by different people. One of the easier holidays to forget, since it typically only affects the place where you work.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Please no more Dilbert, we banished Adams for being a poo poo head.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It seems like nobody wants to read or hate-read Dilbert so unless there's a groundswell of support for it let's just do without for 2020.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's so loving awful in an entirely new and refreshing way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the brigands

Even in Moominvalley, ACAB.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz gently caress oofffffffffffffffff

I live in Winnipeg.

We have a river that people skate on to commute. Our trails aren't flooded.

It got to -50 Celcius last year for a week - please allow us our skywalks.

I think this child is misinformed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I dislike both Ellie and her husband who's name I don't remember, not!Anthony, so the petty part of my brain is trying to eat itself over this storyline.

...but honestly the person having the baby should get the most say and as long as she's planning on doing all her pre-natal appointments and assessing the risk of the delivery it's fine. I imagine hospital delivery is most necessary if there are risk factors going on that mean you might need immediate medical attention.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I want to read Dilbert and Pros and Cons. If someone wants to post them, they should be able to. Given the glut of comic strips here that are lovely for other various reasons - Luann, 9 Chickweed Lane, etc. - it's pointless to try and single something out. Just set the poster to ignore and move along.

Modesty Blaise

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There are countless lovely comics in here and I'm fine with seeing them, but I absolutely refuse to read something that's openly transphobic. gently caress Dilbert.

e: You know what? I'm actually really bothered that you keep telling us to ignore the transphobic comic. I'm not putting them on ignore. I'm going to keep complaining. Discrimination has no place in the newspapers, or in this thread.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
You are welcome to read Dilbert and Pros and Cons, on the site which they are hosted. :)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I thought this was a repeat, but nope. This was on Saturday:

1997 Viivi & Wagner

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Transmodiar posted:

I want to read Dilbert and Pros and Cons. If someone wants to post them, they should be able to. Given the glut of comic strips here that are lovely for other various reasons - Luann, 9 Chickweed Lane, etc. - it's pointless to try and single something out. Just set the poster to ignore and move along.
i think the difference is that those other comics are lovely because they're not funny and poorly written and a bit weird. dilbert is lovely because its creator uses it as a mouthpiece for his regressive political views on the validity of other people's identities and value as human beings.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: You know what? I'm actually really bothered that you keep telling us to ignore the transphobic comic. I'm not putting them on ignore. I'm going to keep complaining. Discrimination has no place in the newspapers, or in this thread.

I'm sorry if I've bothered you, but the general sentiment in this thread when people complain that a strip offends them is to get bent. I was told to suck it up when Funky Winkerbean went into its 10-week long circle jerk about Bull's CTE, so I know how it feels. Still, if you don't like the content someone shares, ignore is the best solution. Hell, feel free to put me on ignore, if you like.

Ghostlight posted:

i think the difference is that those other comics are lovely because they're not funny and poorly written and a bit weird. dilbert is lovely because its creator uses it as a mouthpiece for his regressive political views on the validity of other people's identities and value as human beings.

:justpost:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I'd rather listen to the mod

Archyduchess posted:

It seems like nobody wants to read or hate-read Dilbert so unless there's a groundswell of support for it let's just do without for 2020.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm a sad trans woman with the self-esteem of a styrofoam cup. I just scroll past Dilbert and Pros and Cons and few others because I understand that nobody here gives a single flying gently caress how I feel, just like IRL.
:gettherapy:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

I'm sorry if I've bothered you, but the general sentiment in this thread when people complain that a strip offends them is to get bent. I was told to suck it up when Funky Winkerbean went into its 10-week long circle jerk about Bull's CTE, so I know how it feels. Still, if you don't like the content someone shares, ignore is the best solution. Hell, feel free to put me on ignore, if you like.

:justpost:

Funky Winkerbean was spoiler-tagged for the entirety of that arc, so something was done. Additionally, an insensitive depiction of an illness isn't the same as hate speech. Ignoring isn't the best solution, either - letting hate speech go unopposed is a great way for it to push its way into a community and then get more extreme.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Transmodiar

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

9 CWL is made by a deranged pervert and Dustin is made by the most unbearable boomer imaginable and Kevin and Kell is only imaginable in the absence of a benign god but Dilbert is made by a bigot who makes his money preying on gullible and scared people, and if we're ok with a blanket ban on, say, Gilchrist poo poo-- which we should be-- then I'm going to put my foot down on Dilbert too.

Post Pros and Cons if you absolutely must for now-- I don't like it and won't be looking at it unless directed to via report or whatever-- but Scott Adams is a bad and harmful person who makes a comic that is bad and boring when it isn't bad and harmful, and there's no place for him here. No more Dilbert and please don't make me type "posted Dilbert" into the little probation reason box.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aleph Null posted:

I'm a sad trans woman with the self-esteem of a styrofoam cup. I just scroll past Dilbert and Pros and Cons and few others because I understand that nobody here gives a single flying gently caress how I feel, just like IRL.
:gettherapy:

That just means you can take the heat and you're nigh impossible to destroy. :black101:

But seriously, I get what you're saying. I'm normally on the side of :justpost:, but... the comic strip thread should be a happy place. (It is for me, anyway. The old comic strip dance party video from back in the day never fails to make me smile.) If there are strips that are genuinely upsetting to people, then that's an entirely different category than the lousy strips that we love to hate. Absolutely, leave them out entirely.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Dilbert is made by a bigot who makes his money preying on gullible and scared people [...] Scott Adams is a bad and harmful person who makes a comic that is bad and boring when it isn't bad and harmful, and there's no place for him here

:emptyquote:

also imagine the indignity of having "likes Dilbert in A.D. 2020" on your rap sheet

I would not do that to my worst posting enemies

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Funky Winkerbean was spoiler-tagged for the entirety of that arc, so something was done. Additionally, an insensitive depiction of an illness isn't the same as hate speech. Ignoring isn't the best solution, either - letting hate speech go unopposed is a great way for it to push its way into a community and then get more extreme.
We were opposing it all the time, though, by loudly pointing out whenever it was particularly lovely, making edits, generally mocking it, and calling Scott Adams out on things he did outside of Dilbert like the time he used a shooting to promote his online service. And we do this with all comics when it's warranted, which is often. Mocking the poo poo is half these threads' raison d'etre ever since I've known them, I don't think they're in any particular danger of having their Overton window shifted. I do come here to read the happy place stuff, but I also do come here to read the vicious takedowns. No one else I want to go to on the internet seems to be doing it. It's quite genuinely not even a "love to hate" thing for me.

Ghostlight posted:

Dustin is lovely for very close to the same reason. One Big Happy and Luann have entire characters set up to be nothing but strawmen for the creators' backwards views. Pros and Cons, well. Not a week passes where a Foob strip isn't called out for featuring emotional child abuse.

Purely as a comic, Dilbert is probably one of the least consistently lovely out of the lovely ones. It had one transphobic arc recently, no doubt at all that's reflecting Adams' own views, but 95% of the time it isn't. Dustin is lovely every single day. I get banning Dilbert from the thread because it's a reminder that Scott Adams is doing his thing, but a lot of comics are cut from the same cloth and it seems they get a pass because their creators are staying just below the line with overt social media statements while regularly crossing it in the actual comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Amy moves among the rogues, and encounters a figure from her distant past. He's changed, yet somehow remains...suspiciously familiar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Dustin is lovely for very close to the same reason. One Big Happy and Luann have entire characters set up to be nothing but strawmen for the creators' backwards views. Pros and Cons, well. Not a week passes where a Foob strip isn't called out for featuring emotional child abuse.
For all their faults none of those have ever suggested that their broad targets, such as the young; the poor; the socially aware; or semi-autobiographical people from forty years ago, only exist as an untreated and indulged mental illness.

P&C does get close.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Purely as a comic, Dilbert is probably one of the least consistently lovely out of the lovely ones. It had one transphobic arc recently, no doubt at all that's reflecting Adams' own views, but 95% of the time it isn't. Dustin is lovely every single day. I get banning Dilbert from the thread because it's a reminder that Scott Adams is doing his thing, but a lot of comics are cut from the same cloth and it seems they get a pass because their creators are staying just below the line with overt social media statements while regularly crossing it in the actual comics.

I'm biased but frankly one transphobic arc is too many. Brother Rock is still out there on the internet if you want to read it, and so is Dilbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Feels like someone’s gonna just go through all the comics available, looking for button-pushers like The Duplex and The Flying McCoys.