Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

the Games forum is not sending us their best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

sum posted:

US has the most comical air force ever assembled. There's just no comparison.

:hai:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

my unit is extremely powerful because I have joined it to my hero, who can and is now casting a pillar of flame

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sum posted:

We got our poo poo so kicked in during the initial UN intervention that the US occupied nearly all of Korea in a matter of months and essentially destroyed the KPA as an organized fighting force

that would be phase 2: the brief interlude between america getting its rear end kicked

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sum posted:

Before the first Gulf War, a lot of people made a big deal about the Republican Guard, a highly motivated, highly veteran contingent of the Iraqi army with modernized arms and AFVs. And they got their loving poo poo stomped, along with the rest of the army which lost thousands of tanks and armored vehicles over the course of like 3 days. As for Iran's new air defenses, they have 4 batteries of the S-300 (a 40 year old SAM) whereas the US has the most comically dominant air force ever assembled. There's just no comparison.

Funny how you mention this, the Bill Hicks bit was pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqP1FL-fwg

Also you really should have listened to the War Nerd rundown, because loving lol. dude they're just going to zergrush our aircraft carriers with civilian looking suicide boats and missile spam. it's not going to go well

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Before the first Gulf War, a lot of people made a big deal about the Republican Guard, a highly motivated, highly veteran contingent of the Iraqi army with modernized arms and AFVs. And they got their loving poo poo stomped, along with the rest of the army which lost thousands of tanks and armored vehicles over the course of like 3 days. As for Iran's new air defenses, they have 4 batteries of the S-300 (a 40 year old SAM) whereas the US has the most comically dominant air force ever assembled. There's just no comparison.

It is pretty sad to see what nationalism does to people.

The first Iraq war was based around us attacking a poorly motivated, retreating enemy. It was a slaughter, a invasion of majority Shia urban areas is a totally separate matter, think 50 different Fallujahs happening at the same time.

Also, the S-300 PMU 2 isn’t 40 years old and Iran is producing its own variant, which is in service. Also, there is a reason the US has done its best to try to avoid it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Jan 7, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the s-300s aren't even why iraq is going to be a literal hell on earth, it just means our opening air campaign is going to be more complex and we'll lose more big fancy planes that cost orders of magnitudes more than s-300 batteries. the real hell is our entire military being dependent on helicopters, travelling through a country made of mountains, swarming with MANPADs

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the iranian army and the iraqi “elite” republican guard are not remotely comparable. i guess in some technical boardgame way, the US could win an initial war, with massive casualties. the iranian army is far more motivated, iran is far bigger in population and size, iran has far more rough terrain.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
All of this is ignoring the fact that if Iran goes down they are definitely taking the Saudis and possibly Israel down with them

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I mean yeah the US could definitely beat the Iranian military conventionally, with a sufficient force commitment, but the losses in men and equipment would be extreme compared to any conflict the US has been involved in since at least Vietnam, and not only would that have enormous political consequences but it would also seriously hamstring the USA's global power projection

also the survivors would just immediately start a guerrilla campaign

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

we'd kill plenty of iranians but the cost is going be tens of thousands of dead americans, 1 to 2 trillion dollars worth of bloated military equipment destroyed, and the destruction of the world economy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it isn't even about comparing one side's gadgets to another's, it's about the ability to project force, which the US can't really do anymore beyond floating some carriers in the gulf and launching airstrikes while Iran is...well right there. The USA can launch missiles and airstrikes, everyone here posting accepts that they can do that, and that might be enough for the US. But anything beyond that point is going to seriously test the ability of the American Armed Forces to deploy in hostile territory, because they don't have the luxury of using someone's nearby airbase to ferry in supplies. Like everyone else is saying, all the money the USA spends on the military means they could do it, technically, but no politician is going to want to get thousands of American soldiers killed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
it should also be mentioned the Iraq war the US was motivated.

motivation based on a lie but it was there. Americans are not pumped to die for a war we started

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The USA can't do poo poo to Iran. The Russo-Japanese War is an apt comparison. Americans will absolutely not tolerate the scale of losses that capturing Tehran would require.

After that, welcome to a literally endless pit of occupation deaths and expenses.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The USA can't do poo poo to Iran. The Russo-Japanese War is an apt comparison. Americans will absolutely not tolerate the scale of losses that capturing Tehran would require.

After that, welcome to a literally endless pit of occupation deaths and expenses.

Combined that with the massive humanitarian crisis that will be happening once the Arabian peninsula doesn't have any water as well as the absolutely massive interruption in global oil production and shipping.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theorycrafting about Iran is pointless anyway when we're already stuck in Iraq. Re-re-invading Iraq isn't gonna be like the last time around because the army and their allied militias are motivated to defend the country. Even the army which was completely routed by ISIS only did so because they didn't want to die defending Sunnis, but if all the fighting is gonna happen in the south then they're gonna defend their homes. This is not a 2003 scenario when Iraq was ruled by an unpopular Sunni dictator, which encouraged Shias to "wait and see" how things would shake out with the US. We're the Great Satan now.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

Combined that with the massive humanitarian crisis that will be happening once the Arabian peninsula doesn't have any water as well as the absolutely massive interruption in global oil production and shipping.

this is why it won't happen the way people seem convinced it will itt. you ain't gonna get your stalingrad. it'll be a dirty series of fractal proxy wars, cyber and media attacks and guerrilla terrorism, or the US will pull a straight pussy move and nuke tehran

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

sum posted:

As for Iran's new air defenses, they have 4 batteries of the S-300 (a 40 year old SAM) whereas the US has the most comically dominant air force ever assembled.

so you mean they work properly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is why it won't happen the way people seem convinced it will. it'll be a dirty series of fractal proxy wars or the US will pull a straight pussy move and nuke tehran

I mean the US hanging allies out to dry is what they do.

the crisis wouldn’t effect Israel nearly as much and that is the only ally they will not abandon

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is why it won't happen the way people seem convinced it will. it'll be a dirty series of fractal proxy wars or the US will pull a straight pussy move and nuke tehran

The real danger here is breaking the Nuclear taboo against a country that is openly allying with both Russia and China which is also next to two other Nuclear powers (Pakistan and India)

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Mister Bates posted:

I mean yeah the US could definitely beat the Iranian military conventionally, with a sufficient force commitment, but the losses in men and equipment would be extreme compared to any conflict the US has been involved in since at least Vietnam, and not only would that have enormous political consequences but it would also seriously hamstring the USA's global power projection

also the survivors would just immediately start a guerrilla campaign

shhhh none of the jingoists want to pin down what acceptable losses would be aka billions in shot down aircraft and bodies never making it home for funeral

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We've already broadcast the pussy move, which is impotently targeting cultural heritage sites and turning the US into an international pariah state.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if all these diplomatic fuckups keep happening trump might make a big contribution to dismantling the american empire

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

if all these diplomatic fuckups keep happening trump might make a big contribution to dismantling the american empire

it's awesome. they've cemented into reality to the rest of the world that:

-never make a deal with america on anything as they will always betray you
-get a nuke as soon as possible and never disarm
-the rest of the world loving hates america now and is more than happy to help you fight them off

badass

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We've already broadcast the pussy move, which is impotently targeting cultural heritage sites and turning the US into an international pariah state.

i simply don't think this or using nukes would turn the US into a pariah state. imo it's easier for them to take care of KSA and israel with aid and etc then lob a few MOABs and/or nukes at iran and soak up the bad PR. america never pays for anything in this world. they'll tell anyone who has a problem that it's too late to do anything so suck it up and be pragmatic.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

if only supporting american defeat in iran was revolutionary defeatism. still gonna cheer for iran i guess

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This heel turn has taken forever to finish tbh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
carefully updating google earth with all the confederate statues as important cultural sites in the US

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it all but guarantees a unified iran if it does come to war. it was a massive gift to the regime and that dumb orange binch just tweeted it out

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Ash1138 posted:

it all but guarantees a unified iran if it does come to war. it was a massive gift to the regime and that dumb orange binch just tweeted it out

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch_ALM/status/1214304850483306496?s=20
The Iraqis aren't doing democracy right

https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1214331090883596288?s=20
Lol even the Washington Post reporter is losing hope in US military competance

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

yes but sir have u considered that USA number is biggest?,

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

i simply don't think this or using nukes would turn the US into a pariah state. imo it's easier for them to take care of KSA and israel with aid and etc then lob a few MOABs and/or nukes at iran and soak up the bad PR. america never pays for anything in this world. they'll tell anyone who has a problem that it's too late to do anything so suck it up and be pragmatic.

can't really lob a MOAB anyways. it has to be dropped out of a cargo plane

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean, what is the big brain scenario where the US rolls over Iran? Not only are there a shitton of mountains, but the supply lines run through Afghanistan or Iraq. And the Iranian anti air systems haven't been continuenly degraded since the 90s. Maybe the S-300 is a damp squib, but we have no real way of knowing. Maybe this generation of Iranian infantry will prove less capable than their forebearers in the Iraq war and their allies in Lebanon. But why would you assume that? Bringing up the "elite Republican Guards" in Iraq is neither here nor there. The Iraqi military was never formidable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

can't really lob a MOAB anyways. it has to be dropped out of a cargo plane

trump will get us nuked trying to deliver moabs by icbm without warning russia

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

genericnick posted:

I mean, what is the big brain scenario where the US rolls over Iran? Not only are there a shitton of mountains, but the supply lines run through Afghanistan or Iraq. And the Iranian anti air systems haven't been continuenly degraded since the 90s. Maybe the S-300 is a damp squib, but we have no real way of knowing. Maybe this generation of Iranian infantry will prove less capable than their forebearers in the Iraq war and their allies in Lebanon. But why would you assume that? Bringing up the "elite Republican Guards" in Iraq is neither here nor there. The Iraqi military was never formidable.

i think a fair argument could be made that iran has the most challenging terrain for boots and treads on the planet

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch_ALM/status/1214304850483306496?s=20
The Iraqis aren't doing democracy right

https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1214331090883596288?s=20
Lol even the Washington Post reporter is losing hope in US military competance

Esper is strictly speaking accurate here, he just leaves out that the gun is being held by the United States

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

trump will get us nuked trying to deliver moabs by icbm without warning russia

it weighs 10 tons by itself, its not possibly for delivery by anything other than cargo plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1214304224370143233?s=20
the face of a crumbling empire