Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's cosmetics which you can only get by paying cash. Everything else can be earned in-game. Mysteriously the cosmetics still sell quite a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Most cosmetics yeah. The crafting timers are so expensive and so comparatively short, while also ticking down when the game isn't running, that nobody sane pays for them. I think the only important real money purchase is inventory slots for more Warframes and Guns? Although you pay for the slots with real money currency, which you can also get in the game, and they're cheaper than speeding up a single crafting timer (super cheap). I think it really is just FashionFrame that keeps the devs afloat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in the mood for some mindless, grindy shooting fun. Warframe or Destiny 2?

If you're at all into video game music then I gotta give it to Destiny 2 by a long, long way

this is for the final phase of the Vault, from the raid in the Forsaken expansion. As that phase is the "Great Googly Moogly, it's all gone to poo poo!" phase, the music really contributed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dX4s0Lslk

(edit) Also gotta link from my favorite mission, this rather Halo-y piece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf8q95gPAMU&t=336s
(5m36s)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(Warframe had We All Lift Together, which is a Big loving Mood nowadays, but IIRC the lyrical track was a one-off ingame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 7, 2020

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Warframe has Octavia, the frame where you can compose your own 4-bar 4/4 time song using a step sequencer and annoy all your teammates with it while your boombox bot rolls around killing everything with your sick beats

You can also buy an instrument that similarly lets you play custom music but much more freeform

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ugh, I'm not happy about, really, it's not good, but I thought to myself "it's christmas, why not owe myself a gamble". I remembered how much fun I'd had with my friends playing Borderlands when we were younger, and I decided to see if Borderlands 3 had any redeeming qualities at all. "A more refined version of whatever I liked about the game back in the day" I thought to myself, "is all I ask for."

And with such low expectations I was honestly devastated to find that the loving game is actually fun. I'm enjoying myself immensely, and while I want to chuck most of the characters through an airlock, some of the incidental jokes and lines are occasionally a little funny. Despite everything that's objectively bad about the game, the very basic core concept of pouring bullets and explosives from a thousand different guns at enemies just feels smooth and solid.

Really just miserable to be wrong. God drat it. Anyone who knows me knows that i stan for broken games (GR: Breakpoint, Just Cause 3/4, Mad Max and so on), but it comes from a place that appreciates pure, unthinking fun more than anything else. If you've wondered whether or not BL3 is a total disaster as some say or if it has a few redeeming qualities, well, you might actually want to give it a chance with a finger on the refund button.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fashionframe is the real endgame of Warframe

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The important aspect of Warframe that makes it possible to play entirely for free is that you can trade with other players using their real-money currency (platinum). Most of the grinding will produce at least semi-valuable tradable items, so if you keep up with your daily trade limit you can buy platinum-only items on a regular basis.

The Steam-only user-created cosmetics are the only premium items that can’t be purchased with platinum.

VVV Yeah, those too VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

and the prime accessories.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Black Griffon posted:

Ugh, I'm not happy about, really, it's not good, but I thought to myself "it's christmas, why not owe myself a gamble". I remembered how much fun I'd had with my friends playing Borderlands when we were younger, and I decided to see if Borderlands 3 had any redeeming qualities at all. "A more refined version of whatever I liked about the game back in the day" I thought to myself, "is all I ask for."

And with such low expectations I was honestly devastated to find that the loving game is actually fun.

Funnily enough, I'm having way more fun with GR:Breakpoint than I did the hour or so I played Borderlands. I put the stuff on high as I have a decent rig (RX 5770, ryzen 5 3600, 32GB ram) and it still feels middling in its execution and performance. The guns don't really grab me at all, though I obviously have not gotten very far.

Since I have a lot on my backlog, mainly a pair of looter-shooters that I find more fun (Div 2, Dest2ny), its on the back burner, but how long until it clicks?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It did take a bit, and I actually considered trying for a refund at one point, but then, suddenly, I reached a point where the guns felt like they were actually powerful and deadly, and after that I was in it. The blood fog had me. From what I recall, I had to get past the introductory mission on the city planet (the second one?) and then a bit, and then the moment came.

Compared to something like Breakpoint, where a headshot is a headshot and your potential for violence is high from the start, it's a bit slower.

Also, it definitely helps when you've got better grenades and a few procs in your loadout. The game is most fun when you're just a whirlwind of violence, not really paying attention to what you're shooting at as long as you're shooting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Honestly, for the stealthy route I find utilizing height differences to the fullest to be the trick. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're just a tiiiny bit above the enemy. Roofs, shelves, creeping on the furniture.
:hmmyes:

Enemies in Dishonored almost never look up if they aren't already alerted to your presence up there. Perch on the overhead light fixture in a room and they'll never notice you if they walk through.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2: christ, what a sequence

- found a herd of pigs permanently on fire that doesn't hurt them, but does panic them, and we can't help them yet
Did you try using one of those scrolls of rain you're probalby carrying around?

Ciaphas posted:

(Warframe had We All Lift Together, which is a Big loving Mood nowadays, but IIRC the lyrical track was a one-off ingame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE
There's something in Fortuna you can interact with to play that cutscene again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You can't put out the pigs on fire with rain, they're cursed. The flames burst out again after a while, iirc.

The only way to solve it is to use the Bless, which is a bit of a pain in the tutorial island because she's probably running around with maybe one character that can use the Source but no means of recharging it aside from finding a pool somewhere.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samuringa posted:

You can't put out the pigs on fire with rain, they're cursed. The flames burst out again after a while, iirc.

The only way to solve it is to use the Bless, which is a bit of a pain in the tutorial island because she's probably running around with maybe one character that can use the Source but no means of recharging it aside from finding a pool somewhere.

I mean that area is covered in Source puddles for a reason.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Fashionframe is the real endgame of Warframe

And rep grinds. Jesus christ the rep grinds.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so this Demoncrawl thing. Roguelike Minesweeper? :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TJgSNcYIU

apparently!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Roguelike minesweeper is a legit genre.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/761170/Radical_Dungeon_Sweeper/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shrecknet posted:

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

SUPER

HOT

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the opinions on Destiny and Warframe. I'll have a go at both and see what I like more, they seem pretty different.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm coming up on 24 hours logged in it, it's real good. Most of the time it's regular Minesweeper with some neat items and level gimmicks, and then every once in awhile you string together an insane build that lets you set entire boards on fire or become immortal from purposefully clicking the wrong cells.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the opinions on Destiny and Warframe. I'll have a go at both and see what I like more, they seem pretty different.

If you decide to check out Warframe, head to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585612 and look at joining the goon guild where 50 foot tall golden goons will shove piles of free stuff at you and guide you through the obscure bits of the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

I obtained a boomerang that explodes cells when used and an item that makes cells explode whenever you use an item. And since the boomerang comes back quick I would just explode my way to victory.

The game tried to stop me by giving me a giant bomb that would kill me good in 500 seconds but nothing can stop the boomerang

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

Samuringa posted:

There's a Source fountain inside the ruins. Anyway, the whole cursed pigs thing is also right next to a boss fight and a portal that unlocks Bless

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Nvidia just added a max frame-rate cap feature in their new driver (seems like something they should have added years ago?).

What's the accepted wisdom for reducing tearing in games these days? I have a 60Hz screen so should I be limiting the FPS to 59 & turning vsync on in the nvidia settings?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm coming up on 24 hours logged in it, it's real good. Most of the time it's regular Minesweeper with some neat items and level gimmicks, and then every once in awhile you string together an insane build that lets you set entire boards on fire or become immortal from purposefully clicking the wrong cells.

I ended up having a build in the endless mode where every time I killed a monster they would explode, and every time I opened cells above a certain number they'd spawn npcs. And NPCs would shoot fireballs in random directions every turn. I could basically click the opening cell and clear out half the level and click a second cell at random to clear out the other half and the only thing that stopped me from going infinite was 1) the game repeatedly crashing every time it tried to recalculate a rapidly shifting chain reaction through the level and 2) getting a curse where exposing a monster would eat an item, leaving me with absolutely nothing when I exposed and blew up everything in the level at once.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

MZ posted:

Nvidia just added a max frame-rate cap feature in their new driver (seems like something they should have added years ago?).

What's the accepted wisdom for reducing tearing in games these days? I have a 60Hz screen so should I be limiting the FPS to 59 & turning vsync on in the nvidia settings?

Turning Vsync on will eliminate tearing. That’s what it’s for. It may introduce some slight input lag though. This is more noticeable in fast twitchy games, but really it depends on the engine and a lot of factors.

Limiting your FPS to the refresh rate of your screen (check the display settings, might be 59, might be 60) will potentially help with tearing but depending on the timing might not help entirely. Only way to be sure is try it and see.

I don’t really see a need to do both - Vsync will effectively limit the frame rate anyway as it will literally only push a frame to the display buffer when the screen is ready to draw it. The other handicap with this is that if the framerate dips below 60 it will just dive to 30 to maintain a steady rate. Which is jarring and not optimal.

In summary, try the limiter. If it works out great. If you still get tearing put Vsync on instead.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

I think the easy settings in most games are designed specifically for people like you in mind, so go nuts with whatever strikes your fancy (doom2016!!). Just ignore how some idiot developers feel the need to be condescending when selecting an easier difficulty. Anyways, nearly all modern shooters are designed to be playable on consoles with a controller, with auto-aim options etc.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Shrecknet posted:

The Serious Sam series is worth a look. All of them are good, 2 being the weak link but still fun enough to play through.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think the easy settings in most games are designed specifically for people like you in mind, so go nuts with whatever strikes your fancy (doom2016!!). Just ignore how some idiot developers feel the need to be condescending when selecting an easier difficulty. Anyways, nearly all modern shooters are designed to be playable on consoles with a controller, with auto-aim options etc.

Yeah I think thats a good advise. The lowest difficulty settings often give a lot of room for errors.

Just be sure to get a game that allows this. Some are still deliberately challenging and don't provide easy difficulty.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

The Serious Sam series is worth a look. All of them are good, 2 being the weak link but still fun enough to play through.
DOOM 2016 works even better, I think. Everything is close-range, focus is more on movement than aiming and so on. Plus it's a fantastic game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd actually recommend the original Doom. Even with autoaim turned off, and played like a modern shooter, enemies move and react slow enough, and display deliberate and clear attack animations to still make a good intro to the genre.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Stickman posted:

E: Speaking of alternatives, are there any good action-mmos like Vindictus, Tera, or Black Desert that don't get totally lost in FtP black hole? Preferable ones with solo or coop endgame instead of Black Deserts "fun" gankfest.

Guild Wars 2 is still good!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've got an enormous pile of no-name indie games I've been tossed, and I'm going to try to reserve a little time each week to work through it. For today I gave Little Dungeon Stories a try, which came up rather short on the promise of Reigns-like dungeon crawling.

Whenever a new form of game comes into being, you can be assured that other developers are going to pick up on it. That’s not a bad thing; most styles and genres don’t peak with their originators, though they’re often the best poised to reach such heights. It should come as no surprise that rule-by-Tinder-simulator Reigns inspired titles like Little Dungeon Stories, though the lessons taken from that auspicious source might surprise you. Despite the name, Little Dungeon Stories is less concerned with the storytelling of your card adventure, and more concerned with finding all sorts of ways to end your runs via attrition.

The game chucks you straight in with no preamble, but according to the store page you’re hunting some necromancer in his dungeon for his treasure. That’s as good a reason as any to go bash some evil, but here you’re doing it entirely through the medium of flipping cards. Everything is represented as cards, from loot to monsters to traps to curses to the dungeon itself. In general, you only have one way to interact with it all, and that’s by swiping cards left or right. You won’t know what they do until you start moving them one way or another, at which point you’ll see options like fight or run or take or break or jump. Some cards have four options, which you can swipe up or down for, and some have no choice at all and just do something no matter which way you go. But every card is followed by another, choice after choice after choice.

Your goal here is to reach the bottom of the dungeon, currently on the 150th floor down. What complicates this decent are your four stat pools, standing in for your health, energy (or stamina), humanity, and gold. Most physical actions cost you either health or energy, while finding or spending treasure determines your gold. Humanity ticks down every time you swipe a card, and is also gained or lost from moral actions. The tricky part is that if any of these reach zero, your run is over. Yes, even gold. You would think, then, that most of the interesting choices in the game are in which resources to spend and how to keep the best balance of numbers as you proceed.

That seems to be the goal, but unfortunately the design of the cards doesn’t leave much room for interesting choices. The uniform nature of your stat pools is one reason for this, because it means there are optimal choices to make for most of the tradeoff cards in the game. Once you recognize the frequency of health or energy-healing cards, or get a good weapon or shield, the trades between the two become foregone conclusions. Beyond that there’s very little planning to do, limited as you are by endless random, binary choices. There’s no real way to strategize because you don’t know what’s coming, and there are cards that simply drain your stats with no recourse. The spike trap card is particularly hated, because you either take a massive energy loss or a minor energy and major health loss. If you’ve hit a drought of energy-restoring cards up to that point, it’s an automatic loss.

Little Dungeon Stories could be interesting with more strategic choices, but every run seems to come down to how hard the random factors beat you up. You have a few secondary resources like keys and torches, and the latter proves to be nothing more than a frustrating nuisance. If you have no torches, there’s a common card that’s sure to come up where you fall down a hole and lose either health or money. Pretty much the only way to get more torches is to find them randomly, but there’s also a common card that just takes them all from you! Just like that, you can lose all your torches. There’s no strategy here, no mitigating factor, only luck of the draw if you’re going to suffer health and money losses or not.

I’ve beaten this game once, and very little of that victory felt like skill. Once you learn the optimal choices for most fights and events, you can virtually auto-pilot the rest. I know the developer is working hard to add more cards and broaden the experience, but what this one really needs is more depth, not variety. The trading of stats is a fine struggle as long as there are ways to plan and strategize around them, not just making the best choices and hoping you don’t end up on spikes or down a hole. I don’t know the right way to fix this, but without some serious tweaking, Little Dungeon Stories isn’t going to offer much outside its first twenty minutes or so. After all, dungeon crawling is fun when you’re leading the expedition, not getting dragged into traps.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
finally (got this in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, but I've been waiting for the last episode to drop so I can just play the whole thing start to finish)

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1214592577778913282

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

finally (got this in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, but I've been waiting for the last episode to drop so I can just play the whole thing start to finish)

It's a great game but I've forgotten everything about the story since I last played.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Re-playing Portal 2 again for the first time since it came out in 2011, and it still holds up really really well. For sure one of the best games of the last decade.
It's been long enough that I've forgotten how to solve the puzzles so it feels kinda new again.

It actually feels quite refreshing to play, coming off the back of so many enormous open-world AAA games and endless rogue-likes in the past few years. It feels laser-focused and wastes very little time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Barry Convex posted:

I am so double-dipping for the TV Edition on the Switch.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

succ posted:

It's a great game but I've forgotten everything about the story since I last played.

That has happened to me with every chapter of the game. I never know WTF is going on. Kinda part of the charm, I suppose.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same, I haven’t played since June 2016 when Episode 4 dropped.

Holy Crap I would have guessed that it had been two years or so. I seriously have no recollection of what's going on in that game.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

succ posted:

Same, I haven’t played since June 2016 when Episode 4 dropped. Pretty sure it’s been almost as long between the release of the first episode and then and the release of the 4th episode and now.